Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Will the unbelievers go to hell?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salaam to you all.

I have a simple question (sorry If it is in the wrong place)

I have Googled this question a few times and asked it on a few chatrooms. Mostly I get answers full of hatred or the same old Salfi rhetoric.

Basically what will happen to those who do not convert? You can still be a good human/ person without being Muslim.

I thank you in advance for your answers.

• Veteran Member

(salam),

If people who practices Islam and we're good people, treated like those who did not practice Islam but were good people, on the Last Day, it would be unfair to Muslims. No, Allah does not forgive polytheism, except if repented for, before death. He will forgive any sin, but this:

Surely Allah does not forgive that anything should be associated with Him, and forgives what is besides that to whomsoever He pleases; and whoever associates anything with Allah, he devises indeed a great sin.(4:48)

Surely Allah does not forgive that anything should be associated with Him, and He forgives what is besides this to whom He pleases; and whoever associates anything with Allah, he indeed strays off into a remote error. (4:116)

Like AlgerianShia mentioned, polytheists who are good people will get their rewards in this world. Notice how singers and actors who are always donating a fortune to orphanages, are so sucessful? They might also get rewards in the Hereafter, if a Muslims prays for him, etc. Allah knows best. :)

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Edited by Basim Ali
  • Veteran Member

(salam),

Unbelievers are all those who are non-Muslim. Christians and Jews, because they believe He had a son, etc. Hindus, Buddhists and Zoroastrians because they worship things other than Allah. Atheists because they think nature runs on itself, which is a form of associating partners with Allah as what they say is that nature has power to run itself, and no other Deity plays any role.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

• Advanced Member

Shahid Mutahhari expresses the opinion, in the final chapter of his Divine Justice (Adl-e-Ilahi) that virtuous non-Muslims who acknowledge a Creator and try to live a life pleasing to Him as they understand it, particularly ones who either had no way to know Islam, or who were blocked from it by either local Muslims doing a poor job of presenting the faith or due to intense propaganda against Muslims, can attain a reward. To be precise, he says it cannot be ruled out. The book is available in its entirety in the Ahlul bait digital archives on al-islam.org.

Edited by kadhim
  • Veteran Member

good non muslims get their rewards in this life, nothing in the next.

and if u have nothing saved for the next life ur pretty much a gonner.

What in the??????????? There are plenty of GOOD non muslims who get just as little or no reward in this life as some pious good muslims.

Anyhow it is upto Allah to judge non muslims anyway. Perhaps they will perhaps they wont. I do pray that all good people around the world make it.

• Veteran Member
Shahid Mutahhari expresses the opinion, in the final chapter of his Divine Justice (Adl-e-Ilahi) that virtuous non-Muslims who acknowledge a Creator and try to live a life pleasing to Him as they understand it, particularly ones who either had no way to know Islam, or who were blocked from it by either local Muslims doing a poor job of presenting the faith or due to intense propaganda against Muslims, can attain a reward. To be precise, he says it cannot be ruled out. The book is available in its entirety in the Ahlul bait digital archives on al-islam.org.

Shahid Mutahhari goes further than that and suggests that some atheists may even be rewarded.

• Basic Members

(salam),

If people who practices Islam and we're good people, treated like those who did not practice Islam but were good people, on the Last Day, it would be unfair to Muslims. No, Allah does not forgive polytheism, except if repented for, before death. He will forgive any sin, but this:

Surely Allah does not forgive that anything should be associated with Him, and forgives what is besides that to whomsoever He pleases; and whoever associates anything with Allah, he devises indeed a great sin.(4:48)

Surely Allah does not forgive that anything should be associated with Him, and He forgives what is besides this to whom He pleases; and whoever associates anything with Allah, he indeed strays off into a remote error. (4:116)

Like AlgerianShia mentioned, polytheists who are good people will get their rewards in this world. Notice how singers and actors who are always donating a fortune to orphanages, are so sucessful? They might also get rewards in the Hereafter, if a Muslims prays for him, etc. Allah knows best. :)

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Thank you for your answer.

But I thought we were not allowed to pray for non muslims?

What in the??????????? There are plenty of GOOD non muslims who get just as little or no reward in this life as some pious good muslims.

Anyhow it is upto Allah to judge non muslims anyway. Perhaps they will perhaps they wont. I do pray that all good people around the world make it.

firstly, it depends on how one defines 'good.' everyone can be good.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

First Allah is the supreme judge. What you should note is that Allah is judging ALL of mankind and has stated in the Quran that for mankind and Jinn to help themselves avoid Hellfire and attain reward in the next life they should guide themselves towards what is proclaimed in the Quran. Christianity and Judaism (although we believe have been destorted such as doctrine of trinity etc) are also Allahs guidance for mankind. Out of the worlds 6.7 Billion population 3.6 Billion are Muslim or Christian or Jewish. Think about that 50% of the world population follow Allahs religion. Of course to much varying degrees. Many Christians can never go to church, never pray, always get drunk and many muslims can never do salaat, never fast etc YET they cannot be called NON christian or NON muslim until they renounce God.

Its like a race. Lol i know this will sound weird but here goes:

Imagine all of mankind running in a marathon. Imagine also that fat guys will find it impossible to run marathons compared to athletes.

They guy who is pious, has lots of faith, follows Islam will be super fast.Gets really far, does the most ground (reward from Allah) in this life.

The Christian guy or Jewish guy, really pious, always goes church or synagogue, fasts during lent, Yom Kippur etc is very righteous happens to be overweight so will cover less ground than the pious muslim but still attains reward and covers some ground

The non believer who is perfectly righteous in life is a really fat guy. He cant run very well. Stops all the time. Its very difficult for him, but still possible, to run any ground (gain reward from Allah) but he has made it incredibly difficult for himself by denying half the world population and putting himself as a non believer or agnostic

The ones who express hatred, contempt, dislike for religion, staunch pagan or polytheist or are anti-religious like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitches are like those who weigh half a ton and cant even move. Theyll just turn back and go home.

Allah (swt) knows best and will judge everyone fairly but the guidance has been given. Whether you like it or not and whether you object to it or agree to it, everyone is taking part in the same test with the same questions. Allahs religions are there to act as perfect crib sheets to help you get an A. Agnostics and non-believers have no guidance so passing the test doesnt look too likely. Polytheists and people who associate gods with Allah = F

Edited by yahossein
  • Advanced Member

^WA wr wb..

tell me about verse 5:72,73 and surah 109. (check the transliterations if needed)

also 3:81-85 if you can please. jazakAllah for your efforts.

Interesting points

3:85 And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers.

Just to note Islam is not a religion of the Quran. Abraham, Dawud, and Solomon (as) are described as Muslims. Islam is the perfect guidance from Allah and submission to Him.

5:73 Surely, disbelievers are those who said: "Allah is the third of the three (in a Trinity)." But there is no ilah (god) (none who has the right to be worshipped) but One Ilah (God -Allah). And if they cease not from what they say, verily, a painful torment will befall the disbelievers among them.

5:72

Surely, they have disbelieved who say: "Allah is the Messiah ['Iesa (Jesus)], son of Maryam (Mary)." But the Messiah ['Iesa (Jesus)] said: "O Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allah, then Allah has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers) there are no helpers.

Christians who worship Allah as part of a 'godhead' trinity and deify Jesus even though he was a man are kufar. The doctrine of trinity was invented by the Nicene Creed at the Council of Nicea in 325 AD. Christians before that time did not worship Jesus.

Lets just say leave it to Allah (swt) to judge everybody. Everybody is different.

Interesting points

3:85 And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers.

Just to note Islam is not a religion of the Quran. Abraham, Dawud, and Solomon (as) are described as Muslims. Islam is the perfect guidance from Allah and submission to Him.

5:73 Surely, disbelievers are those who said: "Allah is the third of the three (in a Trinity)." But there is no ilah (god) (none who has the right to be worshipped) but One Ilah (God -Allah). And if they cease not from what they say, verily, a painful torment will befall the disbelievers among them.

5:72

Surely, they have disbelieved who say: "Allah is the Messiah ['Iesa (Jesus)], son of Maryam (Mary)." But the Messiah ['Iesa (Jesus)] said: "O Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allah, then Allah has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers) there are no helpers.

Christians who worship Allah as part of a 'godhead' trinity and deify Jesus even though he was a man are kufar. The doctrine of trinity was invented by the Nicene Creed at the Council of Nicea in 325 AD. Christians before that time did not worship Jesus.

Lets just say leave it to Allah (swt) to judge everybody. Everybody is different.

Christians before the trinity was invented were monotheists and i think we all agree they'll have a chance to make it to heaven. hadith says something like; 71 sects of jews it'll be on qiyamat and the one that followed Musa shall be successful, 72 sects of Christianity and the ones that actually followed Isa should be successful and 73 sect of Rasool of which 13 should claim to be shia and only 1 shall go to heaven.

but i don't think the same can be said for trinity worshipers or anyone who rejects our Rasool. check 4:150-151. just like sunnis call shias rafidha, these non muslims are rafidha lol. even sunnis are rafidha of Imamate.

and for guidance, what do you think the job of Imam al Asr is? what do you think we had Prophets and Imams for? this is what we have angels and inspiration for. also check 87:3, 2:2, 5:27, there are some other verse i can show iA after you tell me what these mean to you. jazakAllah khayr for your time.

EDIT: also verse 20:50 for guidance.

Edited by gogiison2
  • Advanced Member

73 sect of Rasool of which 13 should claim to be shia and only 1 shall go to heaven.

Abu Amir al- Hawdhani said,

"Mu'awiyah ibn Abi Sufyan stood among us and said, 'Beware! The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) stood among us and said': 'Beware! The People of the Book before (you) were split up into 72 sects, and this community will be split up into 73, seventy-two of them will go to Hell and one of them will go to Paradise, and it is the majority group (Jama'ah).'

Narrated AbuHurayrah:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: The Jews were split up into seventy-one or seventy-two sects; and the Christians were split up into seventy one or seventy-two sects; and my community will be split up into seventy-three sects

Both these are sunni sources. There is no Shia hadith that narrates such a thing.

I really really dont think these hadith are reliable. Muwaiyah ibn Abu Sufyan is not an individual i will listen to hadith from and Abu Hurayrah narrated over 5000 hadith in his 3 years with the prophet (!) whereas Abu Bakr only narrated round about 100 and he lived all of his life with the prophet till old age. I understand that even Umar once beat Abu Hurayrah for fabricating Hadith.

• Advanced Member

Allah is Just, Merciful, and All Knowing. No one will lose any good that they have done. Good is defined by the Creator, not us.

Those choosing to live a life of ignorance are choosing hellfire. Those forced are a different story and can not be categorized so easily.

To answer your question: Yes, if a person lived a normal life and was "sane" (i.e. not insane) and then they die without submitting to their lord and creator. Then yes. They will be punished for their arrogance. Some people just dont want to listen. But it is not their ears that are deaf, nor their eyes that are blind. It is a sickness in their hearts.

Edit: As brother gogiison said before me. What is the purpose of the Prophets and Messengers? They are to guide us to a Good Reward, and to Warners from a pending Punishment.

Peace.

Edited by AbdullaQ

Basically what will happen to those who do not convert? You can still be a good human/ person without being Muslim.

Unbelievers will go to hell.

The term ' good human/person' is also a tricky one. One is not simply a good person because he helps those in need and hurts nobody. I know many 'good' people but how many of them do things such as wait for marriage before having sex ? I think I don't know anyone who does. Therefore they are sinners and are not considered 'good'.

You need to look at what being good in the eye of God means, not your personal one. I meet lots of nice people everyday, they don't steal, they don't harm people, but they do other things, they drink alcohol, they fornicate, they eat pork, they mock religion.

You must realize being an unbeliever also means REJECTING THE TRUTH THAT GOD SENT FOR MANKIND. How can GOD not put them in hell after they rejected all his prophets and books ?

Do you still consider those unbelievers as 'good' as you thought they were now ? ^_^