Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

IS SUBWAY HALAL?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Guys is Subway actually Halal for Shias. The reason is is that it is certified by the Islamic Foundation of Ireland (I.F.I.). Now i believe one of their principles is that they allow people of the book to also salughter meat. Now heres the dilemma. Again please correct me on this if im wrong but doest seestani say that meat that is slaughtered by Ahlul Kitab is NOT Halal. All the Muslims over here eat halal subway. Can someone at least verify whether we can actually eat Subways Halal stores. Is there an issue here????

I know Nandos isnt. Only the HMC certified stores are Halal. The rest AVOID at all costs. Apparently they found out the meat was being stunned, chopped off with a machine, with a cheap tape with "Allaho Akbar" repeating in the background. Hardly Halal slaughtering.

(wasalam)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member

(salam),

According to Ayatullah Sistani, it will not be Halal, if slaughtered by a Ahle Kitab, as a precaution:

2603. * There are certain conditions for the slaughtering of an animal. They are as follows:-

(i) A person, a man or a woman, who slaughters an animal must be a Muslim. An animal can also be slaughtered by a Muslim child who is mature enough to distinguish between good and bad, but not by non-Muslims other than Ahle Kitab, or a person belonging to those sects who are classified as Kafir, like, Nawasib - the enemies of Ahlul Bait (A.S.). In fact, even if Ahle Kitab non-Muslim slaughters an animal, as per precaution, it will not be halal, even if he utters 'Bismillah'.

However, Ayatullah Khoei did not have the same ruling. He allowed meat from Ahle Kitab.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

(salam),

According to Ayatullah Sistani, it will not be Halal, if slaughtered by a Ahle Kitab, as a precaution:

2603. * There are certain conditions for the slaughtering of an animal. They are as follows:-

(i) A person, a man or a woman, who slaughters an animal must be a Muslim. An animal can also be slaughtered by a Muslim child who is mature enough to distinguish between good and bad, but not by non-Muslims other than Ahle Kitab, or a person belonging to those sects who are classified as Kafir, like, Nawasib - the enemies of Ahlul Bait (A.S.). In fact, even if Ahle Kitab non-Muslim slaughters an animal, as per precaution, it will not be halal, even if he utters 'Bismillah'.

However, Ayatullah Khoei did not have the same ruling. He allowed meat from Ahle Kitab.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Awww man. Does this mean veggie patties from now on??????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Guys is Subway actually Halal for Shias. The reason is is that it is certified by the Islamic Foundation of Ireland (I.F.I.). Now i believe one of their principles is that they allow people of the book to also salughter meat. Now heres the dilemma. Again please correct me on this if im wrong but doest seestani say that meat that is slaughtered by Ahlul Kitab is NOT Halal. All the Muslims over here eat halal subway. Can someone at least verify whether we can actually eat Subways Halal stores. Is there an issue here????

(wasalam)

There is a halal subway right down my house, so i'd be curious to know too. Now, you mentioned that one of the IFIs principles was that they allowed the people form the ahle kitaab slaughter meat right? Well, this doesnt necessarily mean that Subway does that. There could well be muslims who slaughter the meat. Who knows where Subways buys its meat from?

And, even if you think that there is a 90% chance of it being haraam, but have a 10% doubt that its halal, you are allowed to eat it.

Edited by shiasoldier786
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

There is a halal subway right down my house, so i'd be curious to know too. Now, you mentioned that one of the IFIs principles was that they allowed the people form the ahle kitaab slaughter meat right? Well, this doesnt necessarily mean that Subway does that. There could well be muslims who slaughter the meat. Who knows where Subways buys its meat from?

And, even if you think that there is a 90% chance of it being haraam, but have a 10% doubt that its halal, you are allowed to eat it.

Really???? Hmmm. Shiasoldier you look into as well. I dont wanna be having just vegie patties all the time!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

Unless you are certain, than its not allowed.

If you have doubts, you are allowed. Someone needs to verify this as I had heard it in a lecture, and may have misinterpreted it.

(salam)

Brother I heard that meat is always to be concerned najis and thus haraam to eat unless one is sure it is halaal.

(wasalam)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member

I found this question on Ayt Sistanis website, its not fully relevant, but gives you the idea.

Question:

On the package of meat that is produced in Muslim countries by non-Muslim companies, it says, “slaughtered according to Islamic laws”. Are we allowed to eat that meat? Can we eat that meat, if it comes from Muslim companies in non-Muslim countries? And what is the ruling, if the source is non-Muslim company from a non-Muslim country?

Answer: The writing [on the package] has no value at all. If the producer is a Muslim or it was produced in a place where Muslims are in the majority and it is not known that the producer is a non-Muslim, then it is permissible to eat it.

But if the producer is a non-Muslim or it was produced in a place where Muslims are not in the majority and it is not known that the producer is Muslim, then it is not permissible to eat it.

The producer can be looked as the ones who slaughter the meat and supply it to Subways...

We need to know where Subways buys its meat from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

I found this question on Ayt Sistanis website, its not fully relevant, but gives you the idea.

Question:

On the package of meat that is produced in Muslim countries by non-Muslim companies, it says, “slaughtered according to Islamic laws”. Are we allowed to eat that meat? Can we eat that meat, if it comes from Muslim companies in non-Muslim countries? And what is the ruling, if the source is non-Muslim company from a non-Muslim country?

Answer: The writing [on the package] has no value at all. If the producer is a Muslim or it was produced in a place where Muslims are in the majority and it is not known that the producer is a non-Muslim, then it is permissible to eat it.

But if the producer is a non-Muslim or it was produced in a place where Muslims are not in the majority and it is not known that the producer is Muslim, then it is not permissible to eat it.

The producer can be looked as the ones who slaughter the meat and supply it to Subways...

We need to know where Subways buys its meat from.

Looks like Veggit patties until we can get to bottom of it. Im pretty sure the bros above are right. You must be 100% sure it is NOT haram.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Basic Members

Looks like Veggit patties until we can get to bottom of it. Im pretty sure the bros above are right. You must be 100% sure it is NOT haram.

Are the vegetable sandwhiches from subway even halal? Not sure about other countries, but in Australian subway restaruants the workers use gloves and grab everything from ham slices to lettuce, all with the same glove. So in the making of a ham sandwiich, the worker will handle the ham and then shove that same glove into the lettuce, onion and olives tray. I don't really know wether that constitues haram, but ever since a friend of mine pointed that out, i've been really hesitant about going back...i miss you subway :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member

Are the vegetable sandwhiches from subway even halal? Not sure about other countries, but in Australian subway restaruants the workers use gloves and grab everything from ham slices to lettuce, all with the same glove. So in the making of a ham sandwiich, the worker will handle the ham and then shove that same glove into the lettuce, onion and olives tray. I don't really know wether that constitues haram, but ever since a friend of mine pointed that out, i've been really hesitant about going back...i miss you subway :(

(salam)

here in the u.s. they use new gloves for each new customer.

as for the touching of it before, not sure about that because the glove only really touches what it grabs right? i mean how likly are chances of the wetness to make contact with what they are not taking? also they would not have any wetness from meat on the back of the glove except on finger tips where they used to take the meat and thus the same part they are taking the veggies with and not leaving anything they grab.

(wasalam)

Edited by theunknownpreacher
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

(salam)

here in the u.s. they use new gloves for each new customer.

as for the touching of it before, not sure about that because the glove only really touches what it grabs right? i mean how likly are chances of the wetness to make contact with what they are not taking? also they would not have any wetness from meat on the back of the glove except on finger tips where they used to take the meat and thus the same part they are taking the veggies with and not leaving anything they grab.

(wasalam)

O guys here in the UK they change gloves every time. Besides ive seen many vegetarian customers even specifically ask "please can you chang gloves". They guy always says hes got new gloves on anyway which they have. BUT in Australia tell them to please put on new gloves as you are having vegetarian option

One place i dont eat anymore is McDonalds. Its is VERY uncertain whether they actually fry the fillet-o-fish and the chips on the same oil they fry the bacon/ non-halal meat etc which would render the meat completely najis.

I think im not absolutely certain subway is halal so on that basis i think im gonna quit with the halal subway (hate to say it).

Guys another point theres so many take aways here in the UK anyway usually run by pakistanis that says Halal. Apparently in a random investigation it was found that many of the take aways the claimed halal were in fact not halal. Would it also be wise to avoid these places as well. HMC is a solid halal certifying body. We buy our chicken and lamb from places that are certified so no probs there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

What about tuna sandwiches?! They taste much better than the vegie patties - and I hope they are not haram.

I also agree that finding halal meat is difficult but luckily some of the major supermarkets do sell fresh certified halal meat.

Also while some takeaway shops might sell haram food they are not bothered about food hygiene either. It has really put me off from eating take out now after a visit inside a takeaway shop. But of course not all are like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

What about tuna sandwiches?! They taste much better than the vegie patties - and I hope they are not haram.

I also agree that finding halal meat is difficult but luckily some of the major supermarkets do sell fresh certified halal meat.

Also while some takeaway shops might sell haram food they are not bothered about food hygiene either. It has really put me off from eating take out now after a visit inside a takeaway shop. But of course not all are like that.

Its awful. I just recently got food poisoning from one of those takeaways. The hygiene is appaling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...