Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Are video games haram

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

If I have asked this question before, I apologize. The reason I asked is because I have asked one of my sunni brothers this and he gave me a quote from a sunni scholar: "Is it permissible to play video games Eg: sony playstation?"

"No, it is definitely not permissible to play video games in Islam. Many

things that are prohibited in Shari'ah are found in such games, e.g. music,

animate objects, wasting of precious time, negligence towards Ibaadat, etc.

These are just but a few of the wrongs found in this trivial pursuit.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best"

Moulana Hussain Mehtar / Moulana Imraan Vawda

for: FATWA DEPT.

http://www.islam.tc/ask-imam/view.php?q=4206

Is the quote above true for shia islam? I know there is music in video games, but is that music haram as well? Do you have to turn off the volume when playing video games because they contain music. Please give me a repsonse from the shia perspective about this?

• Advanced Member

As the question is written, in such a general, sweeping form, the answer is "no."

Of course, the content of many or most of the games out there today is extremely problematic. The matter is content dependent, and dependent on how you use it.

If the content is bad, you should stay away. If you find yourself spending countless hours and neglecting more important things, you should stay away.

People need to stop looking for black and white answers to everything. Many things in life are grey.

• Veteran Member

Are movies haram? Is television haram? Are dvd's haram? Are books haram? Are comics haram?

Is life haram?

They merely are means to produce/make/say/educate/entertain something. Its ridiculous to denounce a concept as haram.

Edited by P. Ease
  • Forum Administrators

(salam)

I think it would depend on the content of the game, and the amount of time you are putting into games. If a young person plays a game, with no haraam content, for entertainment every now and then, I don't see something wrong with that. But, if you're one of those "World of Warcraft" players I hear about every now and then, and put hours into the game every day, then you are neglecting your duties and responsibility in life. This time is better spent at a job, or even volunteering, going to the masjid, reading and memorizing Qur'an, with the family, etc. The path of Islam is a moderate one, as soon as you take up an extreme in anything, it is wrong.

• Advanced Member

People need to stop looking for black and white answers to everything. Many things in life are grey.

I disagree. Everything should be rated to make our choices easier. For example, I spend much less time on movie dvd vending machines since I discovered tomato meter on rottentomatoes.com that tells me the exact percentage rating for a movie. So we should have simple bar graphs, grids, charts (like the one below for games) for all of life's decisions...

videogames.jpg

Edited by thepeacemaker
  • Advanced Member

I have a few questions for Mr. Bladeknight:

1. I thought we're "officially" not Muslims according to you, why do you ask us Islamic questions?

2. Why don't you ever do your own research, EVER?

3. Why don't you ever consult an alim on issues you have, at least SOME?

Edited by jund_el_Mahdi
  • Advanced Member

but I have 2 questions:

1. How come sunnis are so strict on this issue?

2. If I play video games with the background music on, is that haram?

Because Sunni's threw out Itijihad and kalam in the 10th century CE.

I'm surprised Sunni haven't banned microwaves because there is no evidence in the Sunnah that Muhammad used a microwave.

• Basic Members

Then there is the violence in games as well which isn't positive.

Self inflicted violence is also a notable issue. Usually caused by a abnormally low sense of self worth/esteem/confidence. Which goes back to my earlier point.

Edited by Aloysius Pendergast
  • Advanced Member

After three decades, most video games are still stuck in the poke-keypad-with-fingers-like-crazy mindset. For that alone, I would declare them haram. However, the future looks promising. If you haven't already heard of Microsoft's upcoming 'Natal' gaming device, here's a demo. This not only looks fun but seems like a great way to get an exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhd5xVkxnYg

Another great idea is the 'omni-directional treadmill' where the player can walk in any direction while remaining on the same spot. Combine that with video glasses and the possibilities are fascinating. From a religious angle, you can do a practice cyber-Hajj!

• Advanced Member

Most videogames are allowed

but some like Counterstrike are Mamnoo (illegal) even by religious standards

due to content

like rap music

2 "i [Edited Out]ed your mother, wife, and put caps in you" pac

or

native "i am not alone with Allah" deen

Edited by Rubaiyat
  • Advanced Member

Most videogames are allowed

but some like Counterstrike are Mamnoo (illegal) even by religious standards

due to content

like rap music

2 "i [Edited Out]ed your mother, wife, and put caps in you" pac

or

native "i am not alone with Allah" deen

There wasn't any music in the Counter Strike last I played. :unsure:

Edited by Nocturne
  • Advanced Member

so shooting in a game is haram content?

don't twist my words every time and please read carefully i said mamnoo not haram

This is not my own opinion, it was on the Iranian television show Cheragh Khamush

and the dominant reason is most likely the psychological implication that some video games carry such as aggressive behaviour, decrease of memory performance and leading youth to violence and animal behaviourism (such as in columbine in addition to many others where shoot em up video games were reflected in their own shooting behavior and attitude during the massacre) or american soldiers in Iraq who think live people and even cattle are fun targets. It is a reason why even games like "Bully" are undermined from being published in the West.

Edited by Rubaiyat

What if the game has background music? Is it then haram? I don't listen to the background music, but I am glad its there. It makes the experience of playing games a lot less boring. So if it has background music then is it haram?

The Music can be turned off.

• Advanced Member

don't twist my words every time and please read carefully i said mamnoo not haram

This is not my own opinion, it was on the Iranian television show Cheragh Khamush

and the dominant reason is most likely the psychological implication that some video games carry such as aggressive behaviour, decrease of memory performance and leading youth to violence and animal behaviourism (such as in columbine in addition to many others where shoot em up video games were reflected in their own shooting behavior and attitude during the massacre) or american soldiers in Iraq who think live people and even cattle are fun targets. It is a reason why even games like "Bully" are undermined from being published in the West.

I wasn't twisting your words :). I did not understand you clearly and I was asking about it. Mamnoo means forbidden, Haram means forbidden, so what exactly is the difference here? You wrote "some like Counterstrike are Mamnoo (illegal) even by religious standards" for it, I took it as forbidden in shariah/islamic law since illegal in religion is haram. I am sorry but I don't speak Farsi so I don't know these words special usage if any.

Edited by Nocturne