In the Name of God بسم الله

Unborn child

Rate this topic

OneNoteSong

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Personally, I could never abort an unborn child - I could not kill it when it was outside my womb (no matter how disabled), so what gives me the right to kill it when it is inside my womb? Yes, raising a disabled child is difficult, heart wrenching and, at times, beyond painful. However, when you see that child you will do everything in your power to protect it. That child will teach you more about yourself than anything you could experience in life.

From an Islamic point of view...

http://www.al-islam.org/laws/contemporary/muamalat4.html

Q141: In recent times, due to modern scientific instruments, it has become possible to know the situation of the foetus, whether it is suffering from any physical deformity or not. If the foetus is confirmed scientifically as being deformed and afflicted with maladies or a malady, is it permissible to abort it?

A: Deformity of the foetus in itself is no justification for aborting it. Yes, if its presence in the mother's womb is harmful to her health or causes her difficulty to an extent that cannot normally be tolerated, then it is permissible for her to abort it and that is before the soul enters it. After that, it is absolutely not permissible to abort. (FM, p. 432)

Q142: In some situations, the physicians can confirm that the foetus is afflicted with serious physical deformities which will not be treatable after birth, and it may not survive after birth, except for a short while in pain (for the child), causing toil for the parents. Then he will die. Is it permissible for the mother in such a situation to terminate (the pregnancy)? Does it make any difference if it occurs before or after the soul enters? And with the supposition that it is permissible, is diyah obligatory and who pays for it?

A: Abortion is not permissible in situations similar to the one mentioned, even prior to the entrance of the soul. (MMS, pp. 30-31, Q60)

• Advanced Member

Its still a person.

Shall we also go around killing disabled adults, or only children?

Hehe, it's probably inappropriate for me to laugh at this, but I found it funny.

You can't compare a fetus to an infant or an adult.

• Veteran Member

(salam),

Wanna bet? :P Read this:

A woman had a 2 year old son, and she had another 5 month old child in her womb. She went to a doctor with the 2 year old son, and said to him that she wants her child in he womb, aborted. She said she couldn't handle one child, let alone two. But she also said that she's afraid she might die, because of the process of abortion or may suffer a lot of pain. Then she cold not take care of her 1 year old son. The doctor said that he knew a way to solve her problems, and she would be out of the risk of any pain or death.

She was eager to know the way. The doctor said, she should kill her 1 year old son, and give birth to her child in her womb. That way she won't have to suffer any pain and will still have only one child. the woman said that he had gone mad and how can she kill someone who's alive? It would be murder. The doctor said that the child in her womb was also alive and killing her 2 year old son and the baby in her womb would make no difference. The woman realized the error of her ways and decided not to abort her child.

A foetus is not an animal which can be killed according to our wishes (even an animal can not be killed according to our wishes). Just because it does not have loving family who will sue it's murderer (who is the mother herself) doesn't mean you can kill it. Just because it can not express itself, does not mean it's not human, with human needs of freedom, and safety. Just because it is unable to save itself and you can not handle a second/third/fourth child, doesn't mean a murder will not be a murder.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Hehe, it's probably inappropriate for me to laugh at this, but I found it funny.

At the point of conception, the fetus is a human life, just the same as an infant or adult. Just because its in the womb rather than crawling around on the floor like an infant, or walking around like an adult, it does not make the fetus any less human.

Edited by Irishman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I am quite surprised by this naivete! Are u seriously saying this? Either u are terribly young (and by that I mean under 14 and so u shouldn't be here on this forum in the first place) or you have never studies human reproduction ins school! You will fully grasp this when u become a mother urself!

As for the OP, Sis if it's ur situation then it is an extremely sad one and my prayers are with u. If I say I can understand ur dilemma then I would be lying because I cannot imagine what I would do in ur situation. All I can say is that abortion is not an option that I would recommend here. If Allah swt is putting u through this test, Insha'Allah He will give u the strength to go through it as well. Wish u all the luck in the world!

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I found this section about Abortion in the chapter titled 'Family Planning' in the book 'From Marriage to Parenthood', http://www.al-islam.org/heavenlypath/. I hope it is somehow useful.

Abortion

Islam’s approach to the issue of birth control and abortion is very balanced. It allows women to prevent pregnancy but forbids them to terminate it. Abortion after the implantation of the fertilized ovum in the womb is absolutely forbidden and is considered a crime against the law of God, as well as the foetus.

From the Islamic point of view, the illegitimacy of aborting a foetus does not depend on the issue of whether the foetus has the status of a human being or not. Although Islam does not recognize the foetus as a human being, it still gives to it the right of a possible life.

Abortion is normally considered for various reasons. These will be discussed, and the Islamic viewpoint of each reason considered:

1. It is a choice between a child and a career and/or luxurious life-style

The above reason reflects the selfish nature of this materialistic society, and is not considered a justifiable or acceptable reason for abortion. Allāh (swt) says:

} وَلاَ تَقْـتُلُوا أَوْلاَدَكُمْ مِّنْ إِمْلاَقٍ نَّحْنُ نَرْزُقُكُمْ وَإِيَّاهُمْ {

“You shall not kill your children due to penury – We will provide for you and for them.” [156]

} وَلاَ تَقْـتُلُوا أَوْلاَدَكُمْ خَشْيَةَ إِمْلاقٍ نَّحْنُ نَرْزُقُهُمْ وَإِيَّاكُمْ إِنَّ قَتْلَهُمْ كَانَ خِطْءًا كَبِيرًا {

“Do not kill your children for the fear of penury: We will provide for them and for you. Killing them is indeed a great iniquity.” [157]

Indeed, has not Allāh (swt) told us:

} لاَ نُكَلِّفُ نَفْسًا إِلاَّ وُسْعَهَا {

“We task no soul except according to its capacity.” [158]

2. A child is conceived illegitimately

This is by-product of illicit sexual relations which Islam strongly condemns, but is not considered an acceptable justification for aborting the foetus.

3. A child is an undesirable gender

This reason is no less evil and cruel than the pre-Islamic ‘Arab custom of burying baby girls alive, and is also not an acceptable justification for an abortion.

4. A child is a product of rape

When a woman is raped, she should use the morning after pill or RU486 immediately after the sexual assault in order to prevent the possible implantation of a fertilized ovum. However, once pregnancy is established, then Islam does not allow abortion. In such cases, Islam cannot justify the abortion of a child for the crime of the father. As for the reputation of the woman, Islam strongly condemns the people who look down upon the rape victim; instead of reviling her, they should be sympathetic to her.

5. A child has a defect

With the use of ultrasounds and other such recent technology, it is possible to know whether or not a child has a defect long before it is born. Some people justify the abortion of a defective foetus. However, the present mujtahids do not allow such abortions, even if the deformities are so serious that they are untreatable after birth, and the child may not survive after birth except for a short while and in pain. The parents should pray and hope for a normal and healthy child. Indeed, there are always chances that the foetus is developed contrary medical prediction. This chance, however slim and negligible, denies us the right to terminate a life.

6. The pregnancy is dangerous to the woman

The only permissible instance of abortion is if the foetus is less than four months (before the soul enters into it) and doctors declare with reasonable certainty that the continuation of pregnancy will harm her, or cause her difficulty to a degree that is not normally tolerable.

It is not possible to abort the foetus after four months irrespective of the reason for abortion.

Indemnity

If an abortion is carried out, whoever performs the abortion will become liable for the payment of indemnity. This is regardless of whether or not the abortion is done voluntarily, with the consent of one or both parents.

The payment of indemnity forms part of the child’s estate and will go to his heirs, i.e. his parents, even though they may have been party to the decision. However, it is something that the parents, as his heirs, may waive their rights to, hence removing the liability of payment from the person who performs the abortion.

The payment is as follows: [159]

If the foetus is:

Upto 40 days old – 70g of gold

Upto 80 days old – 140g of gold

Upto 120 days old – 210g of gold

Upto 160 days old – 280g of gold

Older than that:

If a male child is aborted – 3500g of gold

If a female child is aborted – 1750g of gold

In addition, one must do istighfar and pray for the forgiveness of Allāh (swt) so that the aborted life may not seek restitution.

Notes:

[156] Sūrat al-An‘ām, Verse 151

[157] Sūrat al-Isra, Verse 31

[158] Sūrat al-An‘ām, Verse 152

[159] As translated by Marhum Mulla Asgherali M M Jaffer

Edited by Hanan

• Advanced Member

If you found out that he was going to be severely disabled during life, then what would you do? Would you abort the child or just start making extra preparations for his birth and life?

(salam) , A real tragedy and difficult to answer keeping oneself at your position but if i happen to meet with such situation i will prepare myself for welcoming the extraordinary newborn to my family instead of aborting. Nowadays doctors advise most of the patients to abort if they come to know through ultrasound in cases where the chances of mother's health compromises are and even if the disease of the fetus is like which will make him die just after birth but the decision is up to the patient.May God help you deciding for wise decision

I really like what everyone else said about the fetus and the adult being similar and if it was alright to kill one it's alright kill the other.

Especially thew story about the woman who was having her second child.

Anywhoo.

I think that

Allah gave you the baby as a blessing,

and you shouldn't throw Allah's gift away.

Sorry

I'm just a "kid" and that's my opinion. :)