Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
yonus

Taqiyah in Islam

Rate this topic

Peace ,

Taqiyah means to hide the truth and appear something else . Yonus

Aqamahdi puya says : Taqiyah means to hide one's faith to protect one's life and property in the interest of the faith, permissible according to this verse .

3:28] Let not the believers take disbelievers for their friends in preference to believers. Whoso doeth that hath no connection with Allah unless (it be) that ye but guard yourselves against them, taking (as it were) security. Allah biddeth you beware (only) of Himself. Unto Allah is the journeying.

Tafsir ibn Kathir :(unless you indeed fear a danger from them) meaning, except those believers who in some areas or times fear for their safety from the disbelievers. In this case, such believers are allowed to show friendship to the disbelievers outwardly, but never inwardly. For instance, Al-Bukhari recorded that Abu Ad-Darda' said, "We smile in the face of some people although our hearts curse them.'' Al-Bukhari said that Al-Hasan said, "The Tuqyah is allowed until the Day of Resurrection .

In Torat we see also Abraham used Taqyiah : Gen 20 :2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.20:10 And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What sawest thou, that thou hast done this thing?.20:11 And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake.

However there are some problems in taqiya we will talk about them later .

Hi,

One of these problems that Tuqya/taqiyah became in wide area ,it is not used during force only as we see in surat annahl (bees) .

Pickthal 16:106] Whoso disbelieveth in Allah after his belief - save him who is forced thereto and whose heart is still content with the Faith -

<P align=justify>Aqa Mahdi Puya says: <P align=justify><P align=justify>This verse clearly enjoins taqiyah-concealing belief in Allah under compulsion or duress but heart remaining firm in faith. Taqiyah is not hypocrisy. <P align=justify><P align=justify>Once the infidels of Makka subjected Ammar Yasir to unspeakable tortures for his belief in Islam and forced him to utter a word construed as recantation, though his heart never waved and he came back to the Holy Prophet at once, who consoled him for his pain and confirmed his faith.

<P align=justify>Let's see again some tafsir of of 3:28 :

Tafsir of quran 3.28 - Tafsir al-Jalalayn:

Let not the believers take the disbelievers as patrons, rather than, that is, instead of, the believers - for whoever does that, that is, [whoever] takes them as patrons, does not belong to, the religion of, God in anyway - unless you protect yourselves against them, as a safeguard (tuqātan, 'as a safeguard', is the verbal noun from taqiyyatan), that is to say, [unless] you fear something, in which case you may show patronage to them through words, but not in your hearts: this was before the hegemony of Islam and [the dispensation] applies to any individual residing in a land with no say in it. God warns you, He instills fear in you, of His Self, [warning] that He may be wrathful with you if you take them as patrons; and to God is the journey's end, the return, and He will requite you.

quran 3.28 - Tafsîr Ibn 'Abbâs

(Let not the believers take) the believers ought not to take [the hypocrites:] 'Abdullah Ibn Ubayy and his companions [and] (disbelievers) the Jews (for their friends) so as to become mighty and honourable (in preference to believers) who are sincere. (Whoso doeth that) seeking might and honour [by taking the hypocrites and disbelievers as friends] (hath no connection with Allah) has no honour, mercy or protection from Allah (unless (it be) that ye but guard yourselves against them) save yourselves from them, (taking (as it were) security) saving yourselves from them by speaking in a friendly way towards them with, while your hearts dislikes this. (Allah bideth you beware (only) of Himself) regarding the shunning of unlawful killing, unlawful sex, unlawful property, consuming intoxicants, false testimony and associating partners with Allah. (Unto Allah is the journeying) the return after death.

Here are some verses prevent muslim to take the disbeleivers /jews /christians as friends :

(And whoever does that, will never be helped by Allah in any way) meaning, whoever commits this act that Allah has prohibited, then Allah will discard him. Similarly, Allah said,

(O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies as friends, showing affection towards them), until,

(And whosoever of you does that, then indeed he has gone astray from the straight path.) [60:1]. Allah said,

(O you who believe! Take not for friends disbelievers instead of believers. Do you wish to offer Allah a manifest proof against yourselves) [4:144], and,

(O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as friends, they are but friends of each other. And whoever befriends them, then surely, he is one of them.) [5:51].

Allah said, after mentioning the fact that the faithful believers gave their support to the faithful believers among the Muhajirin, Ansar and Bedouins,

(And those who disbelieve are allies of one another, (and) if you do not behave the same, there will be fitnah and oppression on the earth, and a great mischief and corruption.) [8:73].

Edited by yonus

Hi Yonus,

Just a question about this:

Quote:

Here are some verses prevent muslim to take the disbeleivers /jews /christians as friends :

--- Is there a verse that says the Jews and Christians are disbelievers in God?

The verses mention that you "Take not My enemies and your enemies as friends'

--- But Jews and Christians are not enemies of God, are they?

And --- "Take not for friends disbelievers instead of believers."

--- But Jews and Christians are not disbelievers, are they?

Then this verse says, "(O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as friends, they are but friends of each other. And whoever befriends them, then surely, he is one of them.)

This is understandable that Muslims should find friends among Muslims, and Jews find friends among Jews, and Christians should find friends among Christians,

--- They are comfortable with their own group and should find their fellowship and area of service among their own, --- unless they are called of God to foster relationships with others. --- But still, these relationships should be among believers, should they not? (As it is here on Shiachat.)

In 9:28, which was part of the last major message Muhammad gave that is recorded, it says: O ye who believe! The idolaters only are unclean. So let them not come near the Inviolable Place of Worship after this their year.

Is there a verse that prohibited the Jews and Christians from entering the Sacred Mosque, or was it just the idolaters and unbelievers that were prohibited?

The word here that is translated "friends" is wilayat, which also can be translated sainthood, leadership, or statehood. For example "united states of america" is al wilayat al motahida al amreekiya in arabic, with wilayat meaning states. Therefore, this verse could mean do not take Jews and Christians as friends, as saints, as states, or as leaders. The context of the surah and the ayat make it clear (as has been explained to me many times by muslim sheikhs) that the meaning of this verse is not to make jews and christians as leaders over the muslim state. Similarly, in the torat, the jewish state spoken of only allows having a jew as leader and the christian church only allows having a christian as a leader (i.e., I could not become the pope, nor could I have become a king of Israel in biblical times). This is in relation to a religious institution and does not mandate that I cannot talk to you, go out to the movies or the mall with you, or invite you to a BBQ in my back yard.

Hi Placid,

Remember that we are talking about (taqiyah) .

Is there a verse that says the Jews and Christians are disbelievers in God?

Not exactly but See this heavy verse : 9:29] Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.

Here Quran order muslims to fight ahlulkitab till they convert islam or pay jizyah with humilation .

Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

According to this verse a disbeliever, or a polytheist, or an infidel (kafir) is he who (i) does not believe in Allah, nor in His oneness and unity, but associates other created beings as partners or co-equals with Him (ii) does not believe in the day of judgement (iii) does not follow what Allah and His Prophet have enjoined (iv) does not accept and submit to the true religion. As the above noted negations are correlative and interrelated, one is the necessary consequence of the other. Apart from the corrupted and distorted beliefs of the people of the book (described in the succeeding verses) their denial and rejection of the true religion of Allah, Islam, is sufficient to put them in the category of disbelievers. The Jews and the Christians are the people of the book, and according to the jurists of the school of Ahl ul Bayt Zoroastrians are also included in the people of the book, because in verse 17 of al Hajj they have been grouped with the Jews and the Christians, and the Holy Prophet and Imam Ali also treated them in the same manner as the Jews and the Christians were treated.

Tafsir ibn kathir : Therefore, when People of the Scriptures disbelieved in Muhammad , they had no beneficial faith in any Messenger or what the Messengers brought. Rather, they followed their religions because this conformed with their ideas, lusts and the ways of their forefathers, not because they are Allah's Law and religion. Had they been true believers in their religions, that faith would have directed them to believe in Muhammad , because all Prophets gave the good news of Muhammad's advent and commanded them to obey and follow him. Yet when he was sent, they disbelieved in him, even though he is the mightiest of all Messengers. Therefore, they do not follow the religion of earlier Prophets because these religions came from Allah, but because these suit their desires and lusts. Therefore, their claimed faith in an earlier Prophet will not benefit them because they disbelieved in the master, the mightiest, the last and most perfect of all Prophets . Hence Allah's statement,

This honorable Ayah was revealed with the order to fight the People of the Book, after the pagans were defeated, the people entered Allah's religion in large numbers, and the Arabian Peninsula was secured under the Muslims' control. Allah commanded His Messenger to fight the People of the Scriptures, Jews and Christians, on the ninth year of Hijrah, and he prepared his army to fight the Romans and called the people to Jihad announcing his intent and destination. The Messenger sent his intent to various Arab areas around Al-Madinah to gather forces, and he collected an army of thirty thousand. Some people from Al-Madinah and some hypocrites, in and around it, lagged behind, for that year was a year of drought and intense heat. The Messenger of Allah marched, heading towards Ash-Sham to fight the Romans until he reached Tabuk, where he set camp for about twenty days next to its water resources. He then prayed to Allah for a decision and went back to Al-Madinah because it was a hard year and the people were weak, as we will mention, Allah willing.

Do not initiate the Salam to the Jews and Christians, and if you meet any of them in a road, force them to its narrowest alley.) This is why the Leader of the faithful `Umar bin Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, demanded his well-known conditions be met by the Christians, these conditions that ensured their continued humiliation, degradation and disgrace.

Hi again Placid,

Is there a verse that prohibited the Jews and Christians from entering the Sacred Mosque, or was it just the idolaters and unbelievers that were prohibited?

No there is not but The prophet said in hadith : I will expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian Peninsula . "Umar heard the messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) say: ‘I will expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian Peninsula and will not leave any but Muslims" Sahih Muslim.

• add.png
  • delete.png

Hi Yonus,

Quote:

Not exactly but See this heavy verse : 9:29] Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.

--- If you take verses 28 and 29 together you see that God was instructing Muhammad to deal with the different problem groups that remained in Mecca in year 9 of the Hijrah.

The Surah is called 'Repentance' or 'The Immunity' and this applies to that time only because idolatry was being removed from Arabia.

Notice first that the pagans or idolaters were given one year to, 1. Repent and surrender unto God, 2. Leave the country, 3. Run the reik of being killed as the enemies of God.

Notice verse 5:

But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

--- (This applied to the pagans or idolaters in year 9 only.)

28. O ye who believe! Truly the Pagans are unclean; so let them not, after this year of theirs, approach the Sacred Mosque. And if ye fear poverty, soon will God enrich you, if He wills, out of His bounty, for God is All-knowing, All-wise.

29. Fight those who believe not in God nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by God and His Apostle, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

V 28 gives the idolaters a time limit (and v 5 says, 'but if they repent ---,' so this was the hope, but if not --- departure or death.)

Now your verse, 29.

--- You see, it identifies these as 'unbelievers' by saying, 'those who believe NOT in God, NOR the Last Day, or who DON'T honor God and His Apostle (Muhammad), and who DON'T acknowledge the religion of Truth (that Muhammad was reinstating in Mecca, that of submission and surrender unto God, --- the religion of Abraham.)

It doesn't matter if they were unbelieving Jews, or so called Christians that were identified as 'People of the Book,' --- they had to comply by year 10 also, or they would be treated like the other pagan idolaters.

--- This is why I asked whether there was a verse that prohibited believing Jews and Christians from attending the Sacred Mosque,

You said, "No, there isn't."

--- So there is your answer.

The believing Jews and Christians were not expelled from Mecca by Muhammad, were they?

But rather, the Quran honors them as they complied with this verse:

18. The mosques of God shall be visited and maintained by such as believe in God and the Last Day, establish regular prayers, and practise regular charity, and fear none (at all) except God. It is they who are expected to be on true guidance.

Placid

Hi Placid,

This is naivety Placid ,but you are not naive , You put yourself as amuslim who use taqiyah to show that islam is very tolerance with the other or because you believe quran is God book

so you don't want to be disappointed that God may order to kill the others or to inforce them to convert or pay jizyah with humilation especially if we know that christians honor God .

This is exactly what confuse me about law of Islam and law of the united nations ! Is it possible that U.N law is more better than God law ?

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1- All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

2- Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

3- Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Etc .

The religion before Allah is Al-Islam .

(9: 33. It is He Who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth, to make it superior over all religions even though the idolators hate (it).)

Ibn kathir :

(to make it (Islam) superior over all religions) It is recorded in the Sahih that the Messenger of Allah said,

Allah made the eastern and western parts of the earth draw near for me ﴿to see﴾, and the rule of my Ummah will extend as far as I saw.) Imam Ahmad recorded from Tamim Ad-Dari that he said, "I heard the Messenger of Allah saying,

This matter (Islam) will keep spreading as far as the night and day reach, until Allah will not leave a house made of mud or hair, but will make this religion enter it, while bringing might to a mighty person (a Muslim) and humiliation to a disgraced person (who rejects Islam). Might with which Allah elevates Islam (and its people) and disgrace with which Allah humiliates disbelief (and its people).) Tamim Ad-Dari ﴿who was a Christian before Islam﴾ used to say, "I have come to know the meaning of this Hadith in my own people. Those who became Muslims among them acquired goodness, honor and might. Disgrace, humiliation and Jizyah befell those who remained disbelievers.''

Hi again Placid,

No there is not but The prophet said in hadith : I will expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian Peninsula . "Umar heard the messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) say: ‘I will expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian Peninsula and will not leave any but Muslims" Sahih Muslim.

• add.png
  • delete.png

Fabricated nonsense.

Fabricated nonsense.

Based on what? Bro you accepted a hadith from the extreme fabricator Sayyari in the feminism thread, a man condemned by every single Imami rijaal scholar.

Have you actually analysed the isnad of this hadith? or is it because you dont like it?

I'm not saying it is authentic, but please provide evidence for your assertion.

Based on what? Bro you accepted a hadith from the extreme fabricator Sayyari in the feminism thread, a man condemned by every single Imami rijaal scholar.

Mr E-stalker: please leave your personal grievances and agendas out of this thread, thanks. By the way, I've heard that particular narration quoted in countless conferences and books, so I guess I'm in good company to quote it.

Have you actually analysed the isnad of this hadith? or is it because you dont like it?

No, but I've paid enough attention over the years to learn a thing or two about Muhammad's character and message, and can use my brain to put two and two together. The matn is too absurd for me to worry about the isnad.

I'm not saying it is authentic, but please provide evidence for your assertion.

You think Muhammad said such a thing? Think.

Edited by kadhim

Mr E-stalker: please leave your personal grievances and agendas out of this thread, thanks. By the way, I've heard that particular narration quoted in countless conferences and books, so I guess I'm in good company to quote it.

No, but I've paid enough attention over the years to learn a thing or two about Muhammad's character and message, and can use my brain to put two and two together. The matn is too absurd for me to worry about the isnad.

You think Muhammad said such a thing? Think.

To be honest, If I were merely to use my rationality and subjective thoughts over what Muhammad (SAW) said then I would be following something else other than Shi'a Islam, I would doubt he legislated slavery, would doubt he had forbade pork and many other things. Who am I to question the divine in a religion that prides itself in submission. Just like the matn you quoted from the fabricator Sayyari (LA) I think the matn is sound enough, but I am trying to be consistent in my epistemology over what is authentic or not. If I would just dismiss everything I felt went against my subjective morality, I'd be lost.

As for this particular narration, Allahu Alim, I've seem some harsh ahadith from Ahlul Bayt (as) in regards to Dhimmah, I worry about the isnad as long as it does not contradict Qur'an.

Finally, remembering someone's post doesn't make them a stalker, please show some akhlaq and adaab instead trivialising issues by using cheap ad hominems and insults.

As for this particular narration, Allahu Alim, I've seem some harsh ahadith from Ahlul Bayt in regards to Dhimmah, I worry about the isnad as long as it does not contradict Qur'an.

Yahya, the narration in question in this thread does in fact blatantly contradict with the Qu'ran and with what we know of Muhammad and his message.

Tolerance for non-Muslim minorities willing to live in peace with Muslims is a value repeatedly promoted within the Qu'ran. The notion that Muhammad stated a desire to drive such minorities out is in jarring dissonance with this.

Hi Yahya,

Quote:

Yahya, the narration in question in this thread does in fact blatantly contradict with the Qu'ran and with what we know of Muhammad and his message.

Tolerance for non-Muslim minorities willing to live in peace with Muslims is a value repeatedly promoted within the Qu'ran. The notion that Muhammad stated a desire to drive such minorities out is in jarring dissonance with this.

I am surprised that you took exception to what Kadhim said concerning that erroneous statement.

I had been giving evidence to Yonus that Muhammad was never overbearing or aggrssive towards believing Jews and Christians, but rather, the Quran commends them, as in this verse in Surah 2:

62. Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabaeans - whoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right - surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.

Muhammad was consistent in his commitment to God and his message was the same till the end of his life. There were two occasions in the Quran when Jews opposed Muhammad and he fought against them with good reason, --- and there were no conflicts with Christians.

To give an example of Muhammad's forgiving nature, Mr Pichthall records this, quote:

In the seventh year of the Hijrah the prophet led a campaign against Khaybar, the stronghold of the Jewish tribes in North Arabia, which had become a hornet's nest of his enemies. The forts of Khaybar were reduced one by one and the Jews of Khaybar became thenceforth tenants of the Muslims until the expulsion of the Jews from Arabia in the Caliphate of Umar. --- It was at Khaybar that a Jewess prepared for the Prophet poison meat, of which he only tasted a morsel without swallowing it, then warned his comrades that it was poisoned. One Muslim who had already swallowed a mouthful died immediately, and the Prophet himself, from the mere taste of it, derived the illness which eventually caused his death. The woman who cooked the meat was brought before him. When she said that she had done it on account of humiliation of her people, he forgave her. --- End of Quote.

While these Jews were 'enemies' they were not destroyed, or driven out, but controlled, --- also, this was within the borders of Arabia.

--- Notice that it says the Jews were later expelled 'in the Caliphate of Umar' which was some years after Muhammad's death. --- Therefore you cannot connect Muhammad to the misdeeds of Umar that occured years after Muhammad's death, can you?

I am a little surprised that you choose to study hadiths rather than the Quran, which is the authority, is it not?

I appreciate Kadhim's support in declaring this as erroneous, and also vouching for Muhammad's character.

Muhammad had 'won the peace,' --- it was others who went back to war not long after his death.

Placid

Hi Placid,

There is something called ( nasikh and mansukh ) some verses in Quran :

The Arabic words 'nasikh' and 'mansukh' are both derived from the same root word 'nasakha' which carries meanings such as 'to abolish, to replace, to withdraw, to abrogate'.</FONT>

The word nasikh (an active participle) means 'the abrogating', while mansukh (passive) means 'the abrogated'. In technical language these terms refer to certain parts of the Qur'anic revelation, which have been 'abrogated' by others. Naturally the abrogated passage is the one called 'mansukh' while the abrogating one is called 'nasikh'.

Example : 62. Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabaeans - whoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right - surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.

This Ayah is mansukhah (replaced) and the nasikhah (abrogating one ) is :

[Shakir 3:85] And whoever desires a religion other than Islam, it shall not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers.

[Yusufali 3:85] If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good).

[Pickthal 3:85] And whoso seeketh as religion other than the Surrender (to Allah) it will not be accepted from him, and he will be a loser in the Hereafter.

I think Pickthal flatter or he use taqyiah since he didn't mention Al islam as a name of the religion .

</FONT>

Sorry, Yonus, you're talking nonsense.

This is first time you talk to me directly Kadhim since I came here . However I used to consider that you are one of the teachers here and I have learned much from you especially in the beginning .

Yes actually it is shame on me to criticise islam my religion and my fathers religion and on the other hand our friend Placid who is a christian refute what I say and defend Islam which looks like that he is the muslim and I am the christian .

However, I adhere to my views that islam is racist , dosn't love and accept the other .

Hi Yonus,

Quoted from Post 8:

The religion before Allah is Al-Islam .

(9: 33. It is He Who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth, to make it superior over all religions even though the idolators hate (it).)

Ibn kathir :

(to make it (Islam) superior over all religions)

Yonus, each time you use this verse I want to remind you that Surah 9 deals with the cleansing of Mecca of the idolaters with their various beliefs in year 9 of the Hijrah.

A few verses before in 28, Muhammad said, "O ye who believe! The idolaters only are unclean. --- So this cannot apply to those who believe in God, can it?

--- Now I see that you have also used a verse out of context from Surah 3 to supposedly say the same, quote:

[shakir 3:85] And whoever desires a religion other than Islam, it shall not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers.

[Yusufali 3:85] If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good).

[Pickthal 3:85] And whoso seeketh as religion other than the Surrender (to Allah) it will not be accepted from him, and he will be a loser in the Hereafter.

--- If we include the verse before, it reads like this:

84. Say (O Muhammad): We believe in Allah and that which is revealed unto us and that which was revealed unto Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and that which was vouchsafed unto Moses and Jesus and the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and unto Him we have surrendered.

85. And whoso seeketh as religion other than the Surrender (to Allah) it will not be accepted from him, and he will be a loser in the Hereafter.

--- Since Christians readily accept belief in God, and the train of prophets, and the Scriptures given to Moses and Jesus, and have surrendered unto God, you can hardly say that they are from another religion, can you?

--- (I think you have kind of shot yourself in the foot, especially since Al-Islam means 'the surrender' unto God.' ) (I didn't know you were so interested in dominating us Christians. You seem to favor the militant ideology of Umar, rather than the peace loving attitude of Muhammad and Ali.)

--- (Also to suggest 'replacement of verses' is corruption, is it not? However, it is just corruption of your copy and the ones who learn from it. It doesn't change the copy that is under glass in the Museum, does it? Nor does it change the various translations, so you are kind of on your own on that one too.)

--- To go back to the statement in 9:33 which is taken out of context, I want to add the previous verse as well.

9:33. ‘He it is Who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the Religion of Truth, that He may cause it to prevail over all religion.’

It sounds pretty profound, does it not? --- But after spending so much time to identify that the ‘Religion of Truth’ is God’s one religion from Noah to Muhammad, --- and on into our 21st century, --- I feel I should mention the deception that it presents.

--- The intent of using this verse this way is to say that, ‘Islam is above all religion.’

But the problem lies with the fact that this is only part of the verse. The whole verse says:

‘He it is Who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the Religion of Truth, that He may cause it to prevail over all religion, HOWEVER MUCH THE IDOLATERS MAY BE AVERSE.’

If we put verse 32 before it, then it reads like this:

--- ‘Fain would they put out the light of God with their mouths, but God distains, (will not allow) but that He shall perfect His light, HOWEVER MUCH THE DISBELIEVERS ARE AVERSE.

He it is Who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the Religion of Truth, that He may cause it to prevail over all religion, HOWEVER MUCH THE IDOLATERS MAY BE AVERSE.’

Being careful not to take Scripture out of context we must examine the setting.

It is taken, as I said, from Surah 9, which is called ‘Repentance,’ or ‘Immunity,’ --- concerning the last year that idolaters were allowed to attend the Pilgrimage.

(These verses refer to the ‘disbelievers’ and ‘idolaters’ that were being told that after this year they could practice their religion no more in Arabia, that God’s messenger, Muhammad, was bringing the ‘Religion of Truth’ that would prevail over all their religions. The idols had all been removed from the Kabah a year before, and now they had to go, either by repentance and accepting Al Islam (the Surrender), --- or by leaving, or threat of death.

Previously there were some 360 idols in the Kabah, the House of Prayer. They would all represent some ‘religion’ to the idolaters. --- Some of these idols were sons and daughters of gods, so there was a variety. --- I suppose you could choose your own religion and your own gods. --- The Qureysh were the self appointed guardians, as the army of Mecca, to protect their idols, and they would each year, launch an attack against the Muslims at Al Madinah, --- and God would give Muhammad the strategy to defeat them. --- The sixth year of the Hijrah means six years after the Muslims moved from Mecca to Al Madinah.

(Quote from Mr Pickthall’s introduction):

In the sixth year, ‘Muhammad had a vision in which he found himself entering the Holy Place at Mecca unopposed.’ --- (This actually happened in the eighth year). --- In the sixth year Muhammad, with a large group of pilgrims, made the trip to Mecca for the Pilgrimage, not knowing whether or not they would be allowed to attend.

As they drew near the city they met a friend who said the Qureysh army was on the road ahead to prevent them from entering the city. Muhammad took a detour and skirted the city and came into the Valley of Mecca, --- Then he sent someone with a message into the city to start a negotiation. The first one was attacked and sent back without delivering the message. Muhammad sent another, --- and while they waited a troop came out of the city to molest them, but the Pilgrims took them captive before they did any harm. End of quote.

NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT:

--- While they waited in the Valley of Mecca not knowing their chances of success or survival:

(Quote from Mr Pickthall’s intro): ‘The Prophet took an oath from all his comrades that they would stand or fall together. (End of quote). --- It was there also that Mr Pickthall says it is believed that Muhammad received the revelation of Surah 61, named ‘The Ranks.’ It may have been given at that time to encourage them to trust God in this life and death situation, --- and verse 4 seems to refer to the oath that they had just taken, v 5 and 6 refer to the former messengers, Moses and Jesus who also suffered opposition from their own people:

4. ‘Lo! God loves those who battle for His cause in ranks as if they were a solid structure.

5. And remember when Moses said unto his people: O my people, why persecute ye me when you well know that I am God’s messenger unto you? So when they went astray, God sent their hearts astray. And God guides not the evil living folk.

6. And when Jesus son of Mary said: O Children of Israel! Lo! I am the messenger of God unto you, confirming that which was (revealed) before me in the Torah, and bringing good tidings of a messenger who cometh after me, whose name is the Praised One. Yet when he hath come unto them with clear proofs, they say: This is mere magic.

7. And who doeth greater wrong than he who invents a lie against God when he is summoned unto Al-Islam? And God guides not wrongdoing folk.

8. Fain would they put out the light of God with their mouths, but God will perfect His light however much the disbelievers are averse.

9. He it is Who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the Religion of Truth, that He may make it conqueror of all religion however much idolaters may be averse.’

--- (Notice verses 8 and 9. --- These same verses used here, --- concerning the ‘disbelievers’ and ‘idolaters,’ are the ones REPEATED in Surah 9:32-33, three years later).

--- This obviously referred to idolaters in both year six and year nine because there were no other religions around to refer to, since they both took place at Mecca.

Placid

This is first time you talk to me directly Kadhim since I came here . However I used to consider that you are one of the teachers here and I have learned much from you especially in the beginning .

Yes actually it is shame on me to criticise islam my religion and my fathers religion and on the other hand our friend Placid who is a christian refute what I say and defend Islam which looks like that he is the muslim and I am the christian .

However, I adhere to my views that islam is racist , dosn't love and accept the other .

convert?

Hi Placid,

Lt's leave the heritage for a while and speak about today .

Here is questions to sayid sistani in his site WWW.sistani.org : They are in arabic but I will translate them as I can :

Q: Is it permissible to insert non kitabi and kitabi to the mosque (any mosque ) ?

A: It is not permitted to insert either non kitabi nor the kitabi (on the safe side) Úáì ÇáÃÍæØ.

Q: Is it permissible to go to church ?

A: I do not mind unless it is afraid of error, or when promoting Christianity.

See how taqyiah play many roles .

See this ,it is funny from George W Bush whom muslims hate him in breakfast (iftaar) of Ramadhan month :

Islam is a religion that brings hope and comfort to more than a billion people around the world. It has made brothers and sisters of every race. It has given birth to a rich culture of learning and literature and science. Tonight we honor the traditions of a great faith by hosting this Iftaar at the White House.

Sunni fatwa : Question :

Is it haram to have iftar with non muslims like hindu,christian.etc...?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible to have iftaar with non-Muslims if there is a shar’i reason for doing so, such as calling them to the true religion, or softening their hearts towards Islam, etc, which are what is hoped for if they come and eat iftaar at the tables set up for communal iftaar, as happens in some countries. But if it is done just to be friendly towards them and enjoy their company, this is a dangerous matter, because the principle of al-wala’ wa’l-bara’ (befriending the believers and showing enmity towards the disbelievers) is one of the basic principles of Islam, and one of the most important duties of the believers. This principle is referred to in a number of verses in the Book of Allaah and ahaadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), for example:

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Rooh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself. And He will admit them to Gardens (Paradise) under which rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). Allaah is pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the party of Allaah. Verily, it is the party of Allaah that will be the successful”

[al-Mujaadilah 58:22]

“O you who believe! Take not for Awliyaa’ (protectors or helpers or friends) disbelievers instead of believers. Do you wish to offer Allaah a manifest proof against yourselves?”

[al-Nisa’ 4:144]

“O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them. Verily, Allaah guides not those people who are the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust)”

[al-Maa'idah 5:51]

“O you who believe! Take not as (your) Bitaanah (advisors, consultants, protectors, helpers, friends) those outside your religion (pagans, Jews, Christians, and hypocrites) since they will not fail to do their best to corrupt you. They desire to harm you severely. Hatred has already appeared from their mouths, but what their breasts conceal is far worse. Indeed We have made plain to you the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses) if you understand”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:118]

Based on this, the ruling on gathering with these people for iftaar depends on the intention. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Hi Placid,

Let's leave the heritage for a while and speak about today .

“O you who believe! Take not as (your) Bitaanah (advisors, consultants, protectors, helpers, friends) those outside your religion (pagans, Jews, Christians, and hypocrites) since they will not fail to do their best to corrupt you. They desire to harm you severely. Hatred has already appeared from their mouths, but what their breasts conceal is far worse. Indeed We have made plain to you the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses) if you understand”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:118]

Based on this, the ruling on gathering with these people for iftaar depends on the intention. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Hi Yonus,

'The ruling on gathering with these people --- depends on the intention.'

--- I like what Hsapphire said in Post 4, quote:

The word here that is translated "friends" is wilayat, which also can be translated sainthood, leadership, or statehood. For example "united states of america" is al wilayat al motahida al amreekiya in arabic, with wilayat meaning states. Therefore, this verse could mean do not take Jews and Christians as friends, as saints, as states, or as leaders. The context of the surah and the ayat make it clear (as has been explained to me many times by muslim sheikhs) that the meaning of this verse is not to make jews and christians as leaders over the muslim state. Similarly, in the torat, the jewish state spoken of only allows having a jew as leader and the christian church only allows having a christian as a leader (i.e., I could not become the pope, nor could I have become a king of Israel in biblical times). This is in relation to a religious institution and does not mandate that I cannot talk to you, go out to the movies or the mall with you, or invite you to a BBQ in my back yard.

Comment, --- Because much of Muhammad's teaching involves comparing the Believers to the unbelievers, and warning them so as to strengthen their faith in God,--- when you bring a 'negative' which is often just one verse, I like to read the context, --- so I have done that again with 3:118, starting at 113:

113. Not all of them are alike: --- Of the People of the Book are a portion that stand (For the right): They rehearse the Signs of God all night long, and they prostrate themselves in adoration.

114. They believe in God and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right, and forbid what is wrong; and they hasten (in emulation) in (all) good works: They are in the ranks of the righteous.

115. Of the good that they do, nothing will be rejected of them; for God knoweth well those that do right.

116. Those who reject Faith, - neither their possessions nor their (numerous) progeny will avail them aught against God: They will be companions of the Fire, - dwelling therein (for ever).

117. What they spend in the life of this (material) world May be likened to a wind which brings a nipping frost: It strikes and destroys the harvest of men who have wronged their own souls: it is not God that hath wronged them, but they wrong themselves.

118. O ye who believe! Take not into your intimacy those outside your ranks: They will not fail to corrupt you. They only desire your ruin: Rank hatred has already appeared from their mouths: What their hearts conceal is far worse. We have made plain to you the Signs, if ye have wisdom.

--- Now, let's compare Yusuf Ali's translation to Hilali Khan, translation, who gives some good descriptions but always includes Jews and Christians with the unbelievers.

(I guess he's predjudiced). Another thing I understand is that anything in brackets, is not in the original Arabic, is it? Therefore, what is in brackets, Hilili Khan has added, is that not right?

Hilali Khan: 3:18. O you who believe! Take not as (your) Bitanah (advisors, consultants, protectors, helpers, friends, etc.) those outside your religion (pagans, Jews, Christians, and hypocrites) since they will not fail to do their best to corrupt you. They desire to harm you severely. Hatred has already appeared from their mouths, but what their breasts conceal is far worse. Indeed We have made plain to you the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses) if you understand.

Yusuf Ali: 118. O ye who believe! Take not into your intimacy those outside your ranks: They will not fail to corrupt you. They only desire your ruin: Rank hatred has already appeared from their mouths: What their hearts conceal is far worse. We have made plain to you the Signs, if ye have wisdom.

--- (Yonus, you asked once what the word Ayat meant, and it is used here.)

The other translaters say, 'Take not for intimacy, (or intimate friends), any but your own people, (or outsiders.)

It says the same in the Gospel, that we should choose our friends from among believers, however we have contact and commerce with people of the world all the time.

--- (If one is strong in their Faith then it is God first. Believers are to set trends, not follow them.)

Good discussion Yonus. You are telling it like it is, and I am trying to present what the Quran saya it should be.

Placid

Hi Placid ,

Now let's go to see Taqiyah in it's worst form .

Ka’b bin al-Ashraf was a Jewish poet who was particularly vexing for Muhammad. As non-Muslim poets were wont to do, Bin al-Ashraf was wont to insult Muhammad and Islam. These words seriously hurt Muhammad, perfect prophet of the Almighty God. We are sure the words of Bin al-Ashraf also seriously hurt and offended Islam’s Almighty God. The poor dears.

For ease of reading, We have divided the narration into paragraphs, which, from what We can tell, did not exist in the original. This is from a translation of the collection which We downloaded from off the Internet.

Volume 5, book 59, Hadee(th) number 369 of SaHeeH bu(kh)aaree:

Narrated Jabir bin ‘Abdullah: Allah’s Apostle said, “Who is willing to kill Ka’b bin Al-Ashraf who has hurt Allah and His Apostle?” Thereupon Muhammad bin Maslama got up saying, “O Allah’s Apostle! Would you like that I kill him?” The Prophet said, “Yes,” Muhammad bin Maslama said, “Then allow me to say a [false] thing [i.e. to deceive Ka'b bin Al−Ashraf]. “The Prophet said, “You may say it.”

Then Muhammad bin Maslama went to Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf and said, “That man [i.e. Muhammad] demands Sadaqa [i.e. Zakat]* from us, and he has troubled us, and I have come to borrow something from you.”

On that, Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf said, “By Allah, you will get tired of him!”

Muhammad bin Maslama said, “Now as we have followed him, we do not want to leave him unless and until we see how his end is going to be. Now we want you to lend us a camel load or two of food.” (Some difference between narrators about a camel load or two.)

Ka`b bin Al−Ashraf said, “Yes, [i will lend you,] but you should mortgage something to me.”

Muhammad bin Maslama and his companion said, “What do you want?”

Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf replied, “Mortgage your women to me.”

They said, “How can we mortgage our women to you and you are the most handsome of the Arabs?”

Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf said, “Then mortgage your sons to me.”

They said, “How can we mortgage our sons to you? Later they would be abused by the people’s saying that so−and−so has been mortgaged for a camel load of food. That would cause us great disgrace, but we will mortgage our arms to you.” Muhammad bin Maslama and his companion promised Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf that Muhammad bin Maslama would return to him.

Muhammad bin Maslama came to Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf at night along with Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf ’s foster brother, Abu Na’ila. Ka’b invited them to come into his fort, and then he went down to them. His wife asked him, “Where are you going at this time?”

Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf replied, “None but Muhammad bin Maslama and my (foster) brother Abu Na’ila have come.”

His wife said, “I hear a voice as if dropping blood is from him.”

Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf said. “They are none but my brother Muhammad bin Maslama and my foster brother Abu Na’ila. A generous man should respond to a call at night even if invited to be killed.”

Muhammad bin Maslama went with two men. (Some narrators mention the men as Abu bin Jabr, Al-Harith bin Aus, and ‘Abbad bin Bishr.) So Muhammad bin Maslama went in together with two men, and said to them, “When Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf comes, I will touch his hair and smell it, and when you see that I have got hold of his head, strip him. I will let you smell his head.”

Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf came down to them wrapped in his clothes, and diffusing perfume. Muhammad bin Maslama said. “I have never smelt a better scent than this.”

Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf replied. “I have got the best ‘Arab women who know how to use the high class of perfume.”

Muhammad bin Maslama requested Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf, “Will you allow me to smell your head?”

Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf said, “Yes.”

Muhammad smelt it and made his companions smell it as well. Then he requested Ka’b again, “Will you let me (smell your head)?”

Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf said, “Yes.”

When Muhammad bin Maslama got a strong hold of him, he said (to his companions), “Get at him!” So they killed him and went to the Prophet and informed him. (Abu Rafi’) was killed after Ka’b bin Al−Ashraf.