Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Redrum

Rare e-books and articles

Rate this topic

Im starting this thread to encourage people to upload e-books or articles on all aspects of Islam here - there is a lot of stuff out there thats only in some academic journals, obscure websites, books that have been scanned by people just for their private use because they are long out of print or too expensive to buy, etc. in short - there is a lot of stuff that is either not widely available or is available but doesn't really reach many people so please share for the benefit of others. Im sure you guys have a lot of amazing stuff others can make use of. If a book is too big to upload here you can upload it on websites like scribd.com and post a link. If you have a rare book/article not available in an electronic form, please scan it and upload it.

Please contribute inshallah.

First few from me:

Tuhaf al-Uqul (Masterpieces of the Intellects)

compiled by al-Harrani

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13366909/Tuhaful-Uqool

Ibrahim Kalin

Mulla Sadra on Theodicy and the Best of All Possible Worlds

Rumi

Fihi Ma Fihi

Shaykh Arif Abdul Hussain

Ensoulment and the Prohibition of Abortion in Islam

mullasadratheodicy.pdf

Rumi - Fihi ma Fihi.pdf

ensoulment and prohibition of abortion.pdf

Edited by Redrum

Assalam alaykum. A brilliant translation of the Quran by Muhammed Asad (sunni). It is far more accurate than many others and has a very extensive commentary. (The only main criticisms of Asad's translation is his tendency to interpret everything as a metaphor and his occasional unorthodoxy.)

Link: http://www.pathofislam.net/yellow/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Asad.pdf

I came across a translation of an Arabic article entitled ÇáÇãÑ Èíä ÇáÇãÑíä. Al-Amr Bayna al-Amrayn is the Shia term for the state between fate and free will that man occupies in relation to Allah and the outside world. It has been translated as "A Case Inbetween Two Concerns." The Ahlul Bayt (as) advocated a middle path between them, one that accounts for Allah's power in the world, while at the same time acknowledging man's free will and the concepts of reward and punishment.

A section of al-Kafi has been named about it:

http://www.alhikmeh.com/arabic/mktba/hadith/alkafi01/06.htm#001

Its translation is here:

http://www.al-shia.org/html/eng/books/hadith/al-kafi/part3/part3-ch31.htm

Upon researching the concept further, I found this article in Arabic:

http://www.rafed.net/books/aqaed/amr/index.html

It has been translated, and can be downloaded from here: http://www.alimamali.com/html/eng/books/amr/amr.doc

^that is interesting. :) i need to read it carefully tho.

I suggest everybody states the title of the book/article and the name of the author with their upload.

Another one from me:

Shaykh Arif Abdul Hussain

Prostration on Dust

thank you redrum for these Pdf files.

http://escholarship.bc.edu/james_morris/

hes an ibn arabi and mulla sadra scholar. those are his pdfs

do u have more on mulla sadra?

Muhammad Kamal

Mulla Sadra's Transcendent Philosophy:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21984309/mulla-sadra-transcendent-philosophy

Seyyed Hossein Nasr

Sadr al-Din Shirazi and His Transcendent Theosophy

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19134498/Sadr-AlDin-Shirazi-and-His-Transcendent-Theosophy-Seyyid-Hossein-Nasr

Seyyed Hossein Nasr

Mulla Sadra: His teachings

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19022793/Mulla-Sadra-His-Teachings-Seyyed-Hossein-Nasr

Yanis Eshots

Mulla Sadra's Teachings on the World of Command and Mir Damad's Theory of Meta-temporal Origination

Abdul Rahim Afaki

The Notions of Mahiyyah and Eidos: A Comparison between Sadra's Transcendent Philosophy and Husserl's Phenomenology

Reza Akbarian

Existence as a Predicate in Kant and Mulla Sadra

Also of interest:

Sajjad H. Rizvi

Between Time and Eternity: Mir Damad on God's Creative Agency

I also have a pdf of ICAS-published:

Mulla Sadra Shirazi , On the Hermeneutics of the Light Verse of the Quran

But you might have this one already. And also Fazlur Rahman's The Philosophy of Mulla Sadra but this one is a huge bunch of HTML files so I'm not sure how to upload it.

sadra on the world of command.pdf

Sadra and Husserl Comparison.pdf

Existence-as-a-Predicate-in-Kant-and-Mulla-Sadra-Reza-Akbarian.pdf

MirDamad.pdf

Edited by Redrum

He was of the opinion that in order to succeed in this jihad al-akbar, ethical purity (akhlaq) and knowledge (‘ilm) go hand in hand. In fact he considered knowledge without self-purification, to be more damaging than anything else. His famous advice to youths is ‘to read and practise one hadith daily from the Chapter o...f Jihad al-nafs in Wasail al-Shi’a of Shaykh Hurr al-Amili. -Ayatollah Behjat(a.r)

can anyone help me find this book in english......?

He was of the opinion that in order to succeed in this jihad al-akbar, ethical purity (akhlaq) and knowledge (‘ilm) go hand in hand. In fact he considered knowledge without self-purification, to be more damaging than anything else. His famous advice to youths is ‘to read and practise one hadith daily from the Chapter o...f Jihad al-nafs in Wasail al-Shi’a of Shaykh Hurr al-Amili. -Ayatollah Behjat(a.r)

(salam)

I'm pretty sure the book is called "Combat with the self", although I don't know if the book is anywhere online, maybe someone else can help you better than I.

i have a mess of articles i DLed from JSTOR.. lol. dont know if i can just post them

and combat of the self is a phenomenal book. not avail online for free. buy it, its worth it

Salaamun ALaikum Brother,

It is available in English but as far as I know not online. You will have to purchase it as a hardcopy, but in my humble opinion it is worth it, I have the book and have benefited a lot from it. Depending on where you live, there are several good sites to get it from. If you are in North America, just order from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Self-Al-Hurr-al-%60Amuli/dp/1904063144/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269145204&sr=8-1

but if you are in the UK it may be best to order it straight from the publisher, ICAS, through their website:

http://www.islamic-college.ac.uk/Research/Combat.html

i have a mess of articles i DLed from JSTOR.. lol. dont know if i can just post them

Please post all you have from JSTOR, they have lots of amazing stuff and aren't available for subscription for individual users.

(salam)(bismillah)

My mother recently read an AMAZING book in Farsi, and I happened to find the same book translated in English. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!

this is a non-fiction book based on Shaikh Rajab Ali Khayyat (may Allah bless him and his family).

Name: The Elixer of Love

Author: Muhammad Rayshahri

Brief Description:

The Elixir of Love, written by Muhammad Rayshahri, focuses on the life of Shaikh Rajab Ali Khayyat, a pious man of God who lived in Tehran in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The book weaves together various accounts of different events from the Shaikh's life, told by people who knew him personally, into a compelling narrative on how the Shaikh was able to achieve a sincere, loving relationship with Allah. It is broken down into four parts: Part I focuses on some of the personality traits of the Shaikh, Part II on some of the critical moments in the Shaikh's life which elevated him spiritually, Part III on some of the practical recommendations of the Shaikh on self-building, and Part IV on the passing of the Shaikh from this life.

Shaikh Rajab Ali Khayyat, who was a tailor by profession, lived a very simple life in a single-story brick home in Tehran. Throughout his life, he never received any formal education in Islam. Nevertheless, the Shaikh traveled on the path of Irfan (spirituality) and achieved an incredible level of nearness to Allah through his actions. The book mentions a number of powerful narrations that serve as the basis of the Shaikh's travels on the path of Irfan and indicate the sublime levels of nearness to Allah that is possible to achieve. In one such hadith, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his progeny) says, "If your hearts were not dispersed and you were not so loquacious, you would undoubtedly hear what I hear." Accordingly, the book describes how the Shaikh strove against himself and his carnal desires, with the ultimate goal of removing the veil between himself and Allah. Before mentioning how he attained his goal, however, it is important to note that although the science of Irfan is vast and has been practiced by many different Muslim groups over time, Shaikh Rajab Ali Khayyat explicitly rejected groups and movements that did not rely on the teachings of the Qur'an and the Ahlul Bayt (peace be upon them).

DOWNLOAD

The Elixer of Love

ABOUT THE BOOK

http://www.islamicin...ir-of-love.html

(wasalam)

Edited by Ahmad.G

(salam)(bismillah)

My mother recently read an AMAZING book in Farsi, and I happened to find the same book translated in English. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!

this is a non-fiction book based on Shaikh Rajab Ali Khayyat (may Allah bless him and his family).

Name: The Elixer of Love

Author: Muhammad Rayshahri

Brief Description:

The Elixir of Love, written by Muhammad Rayshahri, focuses on the life of Shaikh Rajab Ali Khayyat, a pious man of God who lived in Tehran in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The book weaves together various accounts of different events from the Shaikh's life, told by people who knew him personally, into a compelling narrative on how the Shaikh was able to achieve a sincere, loving relationship with Allah. It is broken down into four parts: Part I focuses on some of the personality traits of the Shaikh, Part II on some of the critical moments in the Shaikh's life which elevated him spiritually, Part III on some of the practical recommendations of the Shaikh on self-building, and Part IV on the passing of the Shaikh from this life.

Shaikh Rajab Ali Khayyat, who was a tailor by profession, lived a very simple life in a single-story brick home in Tehran. Throughout his life, he never received any formal education in Islam. Nevertheless, the Shaikh traveled on the path of Irfan (spirituality) and achieved an incredible level of nearness to Allah through his actions. The book mentions a number of powerful narrations that serve as the basis of the Shaikh's travels on the path of Irfan and indicate the sublime levels of nearness to Allah that is possible to achieve. In one such hadith, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his progeny) says, "If your hearts were not dispersed and you were not so loquacious, you would undoubtedly hear what I hear." Accordingly, the book describes how the Shaikh strove against himself and his carnal desires, with the ultimate goal of removing the veil between himself and Allah. Before mentioning how he attained his goal, however, it is important to note that although the science of Irfan is vast and has been practiced by many different Muslim groups over time, Shaikh Rajab Ali Khayyat explicitly rejected groups and movements that did not rely on the teachings of the Qur'an and the Ahlul Bayt (peace be upon them).

DOWNLOAD

The Elixer of Love

ABOUT THE BOOK

http://www.islamicin...ir-of-love.html

(wasalam)

Please see Dr. Farroukh Sekaleshfar lecture on false irfan to learn about this book

an example from the online book:

Self-Sacrifice toward other People's Children

One of the Shaykh's children quotes his mother as saying: "It was a famine period, Hasan and Ali [2] were on top of the house roof making a fire. I went up to see what they were doing. I noticed they had taken a leather bag to roast and eat. Seeing such a scene, I burst into tears. I climbed down the roof, picked up some copper and bronze (utensils) took it to the small market nearby, sold it, andbought some cooked rice. On the way back, I ran into my brother, Qasim Khan, who was a rich man. He saw I was very disturbed; he inquired the reason for my disturbance. I told him the story. When he found about the issue, he said: 'What are you talking about? I saw Shaykh Rajab Ali handing out one hundred tokens for chelowkebab among the people! Charity begins at home! When does this man want to…? It is true that he is a devoted and ascetic man, but his acting this way (neglecting his own family) is not rightful.'

"Hearing these words I got even more frustrated. When at night the Shaykh came home I had an argument with him...and then went to sleep disturbed and agitated. In the middle of the night I heard I was called out to get up. I got up, I saw (in the dream) it was Mawla Ali Amir al-Mu'minin (a) who introduced himself and said: He has been looking after the people's children, and we have been looking after yours! When your children starved to death, then go on and complain!"

this shows the false nature of irfan portrayed, a man makes his family starve whilst handing out food to other people. Islam wants you to make your family starve while you feed a 100 other people?!

There are many other examples i haven't quoted but all mentioned in the lecture posted.

ws

Please see Dr. Farroukh Sekaleshfar lecture on false irfan to learn about this book

this shows the false nature of irfan portrayed, a man makes his family starve whilst handing out food to other people. Islam wants you to make your family starve while you feed a 100 other people?!

There are many other examples i haven't quoted but all mentioned in the lecture posted.

ws

(wasalam)

This reminds me of the time when angel Jibrail came to the house of Imam Ali, Bibi Fatima, Imam Hassan and Imam Hussain (as) consecutively for three days and on each day was given all the food that the family (as) had to break their fast with, to the extent that the family (as) had nothing for three days but water.

Anyway, please don't go off-topic, perhaps this can be discussed on a new thread.

Edited by MFAHH

ws

There are many weak points that this Sheikh mentions in his lecture, clearly showing his lack of understanding of the topic in hand. It is very unfortunate to see a whole lecture dedicated to falsifying an aspect of 'irfan which differs no more than that which the sheikh himself defends in his other lectures. The points he brings up about "al-ruh al-Mujarad" are appalling and - unfortunately - include many false accusations. There are also a few instances where the Sheikh takes words out of context so that a phrase seems to be defying the words of Ahlulbeit (as). In the original text, the author later clarifies and explains what is meant by that phrase, but the Sheikh omits this clarification from his quotations, making the author seem as someone who has went against the teachings of the Imams (as).

So it is advised that one returns to the original text of the book, and refer to those who are specialized in this field so that any misconception be clarified.

Edited by Imami_ali

(salam)

Very usefull topic.

Please keep posting

here are some of my awesome books :

20 questions to debate against sunnis

http://www.literarysection.org/index.php/component/docman/cat_view/35-ebooks/79-shia-ebooks-answers-to-attacks-on-shia

40 Hadeeths by Imam khomaini

http://www.al-islam.org/fortyhadith/