Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
baradar_jackson

Question for Reverts/Converts

Rate this topic

Well technically I was born a 'Muslim', as my father is Muslim, my mother who is Christian didn't approve, and took me too church when I was a kid, my father didn't really oppose it, a few years ago I started to study both religions and I found Islam better suited to my culture and beliefs, as Christianity and the bible had far to many contradictions and other things I didn't agree with. When I officially became Muslim, my father was happy, in fact he started to pray again and become more religious alhamdulilah. My mom on the other hand, still is not happy about it, and it seems still she gets uneasy every time she thinks about it or it is mentioned. However it has gotten much better with her too alhamduliah.

stopped threatening to feed my children hot dogs.

:o Wow must be hard for you reverts!

I got a hindu friend who converted and got disowned by her family. I guess Hindu and Sikh families would be more difficult to deal with - coz of the history and all.

asalam alykum i am new to the forum and have recently been looking into shiia muslims ,lots of interesting information the only thing that dont seem right is that Ali(as)is held up so high at times it seems he is more loved than our prophet (pbuh)i find that really strange can someone please explain this to me thnxs.

(salam)

What do your families think about your decision to turn to Islam?

And has this affected your relationship with them in any way?

I just want to point out, this is a very personal question. Of course, everyone is free to answer or not answer here.

However, I thought I'd mention that because a lot of people I meet in public in our community ask that in person even if they don't know you, and they don't realize it is a very personal topic (and not really their business), especially in a community where people don't usually talk bad about their family or about their family problems on first meeting out of respect for them or to preserve a good reputation.

Sorry you all can go on with your thread now :)

I just want to point out, this is a very personal question. Of course, everyone is free to answer or not answer here.

However, I thought I'd mention that because a lot of people I meet in public in our community ask that in person even if they don't know you, and they don't realize it is a very personal topic (and not really their business), especially in a community where people don't usually talk bad about their family or about their family problems on first meeting out of respect for them or to preserve a good reputation.

Sorry you all can go on with your thread now :)

I'm sorry if it was a rude question to ask. But I am interested to see the families reaction to this.

Salam,

In my case it had both positive and negative effects on the relationship.

I was a rebellious teenager, so when I re-verted to Islam (at 21 years old), it actually had a positive effect on my relationship with many of my non-Muslim family members in that the relationship became one of genuine mutual interest and caring, rather then reactionary and self serving. The negative effects were mostly in relationship to my grandpartents (on my mothers side) who were Evangelical Christians and were more comfortable with me as an agnostic, disrespectful rock musician (something they didn't like or agree with but understood) then as a mature, sober and well mannered adult who openly disagreed with the irrational and corrupted dogma which is most of modern Christian theology.

As time goes by, however, even they are becoming more comfortable with the beliefs of the now significant (but still in the minority) Muslim members of our family. My relationship with the non-evangelical, non-fundamentalist Christian portion of my family (mostly my father's side) has changed only a little, but in a positive direction (as the relationships are more sincere, genuine and mature).

At first my parents were very unhappy. My mother thought I had rejected her religion...which upset her a lot. My father didn't want me to be any man's property. At first they were so bad about it...Threatened me if I kept wearing hijab, etc...but now its gotten a lot better alhamdulillah and now I am closer to my parents in general, especially my mother. ^^

My relationship now with my sister has actually improved, as well as with my granny. My parents, we let me just ask for help in making dua that they are guided, ameen. Anyhow, mainly with my granny, it allowed us to choose to love eachother... and also now we talk about so many relevant issues.. she has even attended jummah with me and spoke with the imam later... she actually gave him marriage advice, lol! I really love my grandmother... may Allah subhannah wa ta'ala guide her, ameen.

(bismillah)

(salam)

At first my family was upset. Mostly my dad was kind of quiet but my mom was visibly angry. My becoming Muslim was like a slap in the face. Christianity was the way they and their parents were raised and the way I was raised, and "now suddenly it is not good enough for you and you chose something else?" They were obviously hurt. But as time passed and they saw the maturity of my husband and I, and our logical discussions about Islamic belief and practices, my family came to accept my conversion. When our son was born, my mom's heart melted. She said "There are many paths to get to God. You and your husband and my little grandbaby are NOT going to go to Hell [because we are Muslim or don't believe in the Trinity]." :)

(bismillah)

(salam)

At first my family was upset. Mostly my dad was kind of quiet but my mom was visibly angry. My becoming Muslim was like a slap in the face. Christianity was the way they and their parents were raised and the way I was raised, and "now suddenly it is not good enough for you and you chose something else?" They were obviously hurt. But as time passed and they saw the maturity of my husband and I, and our logical discussions about Islamic belief and practices, my family came to accept my conversion. When our son was born, my mom's heart melted. She said "There are many paths to get to God. You and your husband and my little grandbaby are NOT going to go to Hell [because we are Muslim or don't believe in the Trinity]." :)

Grandbabies always make it better with our parents, lol!