Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
kaali_daal

Muslim Shia Philosophers. A question inside.

Rate this topic

Asalam Alaikum Brothers and Sisters.

I am in Philosophy in college and I want to know about some Muslim Shia Philosophers. Are there any books on Al-Islam.org or any other website.

Also my teacher said that Muslims like Algebra and not Calculus.

He said that Calculus gives them 'perspective' so they don't like it. While in Algebra there is always an unknown and they regard that to God. What is that all about. Can someone explain to me why Muslims don't like Calculus because what he said didn't make sense to me.

If you want me to clarify something than I will do that. I don't make sense sometimes.

Thank You.

Take care.

Allah Hafiz.

Asalam Alaikum.

Thanks for the info. I just searched them on Wikipedia. I could not find anything on Ibn al Haytham but here are the links for the others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Karaji

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharafeddin_Tusi

These guys weren't anything small. So anything about Shia Philosophers. I am sure there is something relating to Imam Jafar-As-Sadiq(A.S). Can I please get some links.

Thank You.

Take care.

Allah Hafiz.

Ibn-e-Sina [Avicenna] was Ismaili Shi'i by birth. Confusion exists as to whether he remained an Ismai'li, turned to Twelver Shi'ism or embraced Sunnism.

I am not sure but I think Al-Farabi [Alpharabius] of Khurasan was Twelver Shi'i.

More recently, We had Sadr al-Din Shirazi aka Mullah Sadra in Safavid Iran if that helps? He is not known internationally though.

Edited by Marbles

(bismillah)

(salam)

You don't have to search far. We've had many brilliant philosophers in the past century.

For instance:

Allamah Tabataba'i (ra)

Ayatollah Khomeini (ra)

Ayatollah Mutahhari (ra)

Ayatollah Beheshti (ra)

Ayatollah Muhammad Baqir as-Sadr (ra)

Just look up their names (and the different spellings of their names) on Al-Islam and you'll find a bunch of stuff.

This is a good start for you:

http://www.al-islam.org/philosophy/

wa salam

Also my teacher said that Muslims like Algebra and not Calculus.

He said that Calculus gives them 'perspective' so they don't like it. While in Algebra there is always an unknown and they regard that to God. What is that all about. Can someone explain to me why Muslims don't like Calculus because what he said didn't make sense to me.

If you want me to clarify something than I will do that. I don't make sense sometimes.

lolwut? Don't know where he's getting that from.

Muslims essentially invented algebra, calculus was invented in the 17th century AD by Isaac Newton, so if there is some bias of classical Muslim scientists towards algebra, it's only because calculus was invented much later.

(bismillah)

(salam)

You don't have to search far. We've had many brilliant philosophers in the past century.

For instance:

Allamah Tabataba'i (ra)

Ayatollah Khomeini (ra)

Ayatollah Mutahhari (ra)

Ayatollah Beheshti (ra)

Ayatollah Muhammad Baqir as-Sadr (ra)

Just look up their names (and the different spellings of their names) on Al-Islam and you'll find a bunch of stuff.

This is a good start for you:

http://www.al-islam.org/philosophy/

wa salam

These men can be best described as theologians or religious scholars not philosophers.

Edited by Marbles

(bismillah)

(salam)

There is no difference.

wa salam

Although, broadly speaking, religious expositors can be included but your usage of 'philosopher' for men of religion will put Christian, Jewish and theologians of other religions into the fold of philosophy. I personally don't think this is the correct usage, and common understanding, of the noun 'philosopher'.

A. J. Ayer was a philosopher, Karol Wojtyła wasn't.

Allamah Majlisi was not philosopher. Mullah Sadra was.

^

Huge comparison. Christianity denounces philosophy in all its forms and assets, Islam does not.

I could not find anything on Ibn al Haytham but here are the links for the others.

Westerners call him Alhazen, maybe you can find something with this name.

^

Huge comparison. Christianity denounces philosophy in all its forms and assets, Islam does not.

I don't think it is so simple. Islamic scholars, like their Christian counterparts, have never allowed independent rational thought to flourish. Philosophy, as we know it today, was developed as a system distinct and different from religio-philosophical discourses of the men of religion. The rift between rationalism and religious philosophy was clearly noticeable even at the height of Muslim thought. Take for instance Ibn Rushd's (known in the West as Averroes) Tahaafut al-Tahaafut (The Incoherence of the Incoherence). Ibn Rushd, as a rationalist belonging to the school of Avicennian neoplatonic thought, defended 'aqli discourses against the onslaught of Al-Ghazali (known in the West as Algazel). Al-Ghazali, in his works, accepted the validity of what was considered at that time the branches of philosophy, including physics, maths, astronomy etc but rejected metaphysics and rationalism. An example from Shia Islam can be of Allamah Majlisi and Mullah Sadra. Majlisi, as a traditional religious expositor sticking to the Quran and hadith, vehemently rejected the philosophical school of Mullah Sadra and Mir Damad, which he regarded as heretical.

All Abrahamic religions, or their adherents I should say, have been hostile to independent philosophical thought.

Edited by Marbles

Asalam Alaikum.

HOLY MOLLLY. This AlHazen is a big smart guy Allhamdolilah just like the many others, but still. Check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhazen

Take care.

Allah Hafiz.

Yeh, he was a badass. Possibly the greatest Arab scientist ever*

*Though Da Vinci might have been half Arabic :)

Edited by Dirac Delta function