Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What is Death?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Trapped in the world of illusions bowing to obtain the truth.

My exsistence is a Strain in Time; where death will reveal the hidden Knowledge...

But . . . .

Death?!

What is Death?

Is it the State of Calmness?

The Stop of the Heart beats?

A last Breath intake?

Is Death Painful?

If Death is Painful where did the statement

"Rest In Piece" Come from?

Was the Pain of Death A Mental or Physical one?

If Pain Means Hurt, and if our nerves are dead,

How Can it death Hurt Physically?

If we are alive, then we dont really know the truth of Death

Does that mean the statment "If you dont know it, it wont hurt you" also can refer to death itself?

Its not hurting us at the moment because we are alive..

But once we experience Death, we obtain knowledge

By obtaining knowledge of death we experience pain

So Can the pain of death be mental?

Where it will validate that statement?

So What is death?

• Advanced Member

imagine a very steep mountain, in which you start life on one side and climb and climb and climb and climb, death is when you reach the summit of the mountain and fall back down on the other side, at that point...well thats the point of no return, you're pretty much screwed after that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

we know that death is a complete detachment from this world. So YOUR death will be YOUR complete detachment from the world. MY death will be MY complete detachment from the world. If you want to get a glimpse of how YOUR death will be, you need to examine your incomplete detachments from the world. how do you experience them? do you suffer from them? or do you enjoy them? and take that experience and amplify it COMPLETELY!

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Death is a fun topic!!!

where to start first, OK, let us imagine that there is no god no life after death. in this case death is nothingness. it will not hurt nor teaches. But let take into account death thru a muslim mind. One thing I argue against in that death in not the complete separation of us from the physical world. Since we still carry our actions into the next world. Our behaviors and action are part of this world and no matter where we go, they will follow us.

Not let us take into account the view of Rumi the persian poet and mystic;

I am bird of divine garden, and half of me is of earth,

this body is a cage that would hold me for two-three day,

Merry is coming day that I fly to the friend,

I will circle him all day long,

Well I translated it the best I could. it is not as easy as you think. Here Rumi sees this earthly existence as a prison of our soul. and not only take comfort in his death, rather he is over joyed by his death. Prison is also allegorical, and it means the desires of this world in their entirety. It can also means limits of this world, or means both. So death, in this sense, is freedom from all aspect of life, from its worries and desires and limits. It is a merry event and should be celebrated.

The story does not end here. Hafiz also a persian poet, saw death as merely passing from one form of existence to another. Hafiz was existential and saw human not as beautiful souls trapped within the earthy body, rather creatures created to exist within this world. He saw all people whom wanted to survive and they have within them all them need to do so. Hafiz is a very interesting case in history of Islam, because first he was one of the only two people who foresaw the upcoming fall of the muslim civilization. He lived in the time of Temerlane and saw two central events. First he saw the aftermath of the mongol invasion where 75% of population of Iran was massacred. he also saw the invasion of temerlane which was in brutality and inhumanity second only to the mongol invasion. One would expect a man after seeing these things would become as extreme as what he saw. For example if you follow the modern islamist groups such as muslim brotherhood, you will see that the founding members where all been to prison and heavily tortured. Unfortunately these circumstances breath extreme thought, as life of no hardship will make a man lazy and unaware, but to much hardship and the man will become more extreme, and in this case amount of knowledge does not help over coming the effect, since you will find among extremes men of great knowledge and life experience. Yet hafiz was not an extreme case in muslims, what he saw in the suffering around him was, we are beings that not only capable of overcoming difficulties, but did it very well. This showed him, whether there is a soul or what exactlly is its nature, does not matter since the fact of the matter is we are physical creature whom get to live on this plane of existence pretty successfully, so to him, upon death, we leave our current existence and begin a new existence. now what this new existence is you just have to wait and see.

I personally adhere to Hafiz's view for few reasons. Also it is suspending and fun.

• Advanced Member

Relate post #7 with this poem by Rumi.

On Suffering and Death

“Know that every suffering is a piece of death.

Drive death’s part from yourself, if you can!

Since you cannot escape death’s part, know that

its whole will pour down upon your head.

If death’s part becomes sweet to you, know that

God will make the whole sweet.

Pains are the prophets of death. Do not turn

away from the prophets oh worthless man.

Whoever lives sweetly will die in bitterness,

whoever worships the body will not win the spirit.” -Rumi

[Rumi, Sufi Path of Love , pg 102]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

My exsistence is a Strain in Time; where death will reveal the hidden Knowledge...

But . . . .

Death?!

What is Death?

A last Breath intake?

Is Death Painful?

Does that mean the statment "If you dont know it, it wont hurt you" also can refer to death itself?

So What is death?

what of death? which death?

the breaking of illusions? the bringer of real life?

the breaking of the mind? the thrower into insanity?

the death of the self.dom, wherein lies the life of the heart?

the lack of motion in which persons r lost forever? which death do you speak of

for each merit a different dimension, and the end of a state is its death. the question is what next?

• Advanced Member

Death is being all alone.

Death means a long waiting period; waiting for the Day of Judgement, waiting to see his/her deeds, waiting to see his/her family, waiting if the Holy Prophet will intercessed for us

Death as they said is a reality waking up from a dream, but some said Death means Dread... dread to see the reality after waking up from the dream (dunya)

But then again, Death means that we are in a much better place than the "life is a stage" concept in this world.

• Advanced Member

By: Ayatullah Shaheed Dastghaib Shiraazi

Shifting of the lamp from one place to another place. For instance, suppose there is a hut having many holes. It a lamp is placed in it its light will go out through those holes. But as soon as that lamp is moved out of that hut it will make the hut dark. Similarly, so long as the lamp of soul remains in the body it manifests its existence known through the light which comes out from limbs like eyes and ears etc. But as soon as this lamp of soul is removed from the body, all its manifestations also cease and the body becomes dark. This is Death.

• 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim As salaamu 'alaikum, everyone. Allah, All Praise Is Due HIM, Alone, Is The Giver of Life. What we call death is to leave one life and enter another life. If the physical/material body is purified as it should be, it will be carried into the next life along with the psychic body, the soul, et cetera. Where then is this death that is spoken of?

Wassalaam. Faithfully999

• 1 month later...
  • Veteran Member

I think death is real freedom from this life and world.

Assalamallikum,

No, the real freedom is for yjose who come safely through on the Last Day -inshallah

"Death" is the ceasing of biological animation.

Your nafsi is what endures.

• Basic Members

Relate post #7 with this poem by Rumi.

On Suffering and Death

“Know that every suffering is a piece of death.

Drive death’s part from yourself, if you can!

Since you cannot escape death’s part, know that

its whole will pour down upon your head.

If death’s part becomes sweet to you, know that

God will make the whole sweet.

Pains are the prophets of death. Do not turn

away from the prophets oh worthless man.

Whoever lives sweetly will die in bitterness,

whoever worships the body will not win the spirit.” -Rumi

[Rumi, Sufi Path of Love , pg 102]

AsSalaam

Death is not the end of life but a time of intense and immediate change for most. As for those that are familiar with it I suppose they just carry on in Allah's love.

asSalaam

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Assalamallikum,

No, the real freedom is for yjose who come safely through on the Last Day -inshallah

W'salaam

Inshallah

Sometimes when I'm out and about I always wonder what would happen if the Angel of Death approached me, walked toward me.. what would it be like???

hhmmmmmm....

• Veteran Member
I dont know why alot of people are scared of dying, you wont feel anything, and you wont know you dead. A state of nothingness.

If you value your life and if you believe death is the end of your life, then you will view death as a great evil. If you believe something is a great evil, then it is natural to fear it. You fear it not because you will suffer after it (because you won't exist), but because you will no longer experience everything you enjoy and value. It's an evil of deprivation, not an evil of suffering.

• 1 month later...

February 17TH. 1997 at approx.10:36am I walked outside to take a breath of the morning air, I looked all about me and I even looked to the heavens and as I turned back to my apartment door I was grabbed from behind and I was attacked by someone in front of me, I fought them off and they disappeared as a flood of warm blood gushed from my chest. I looked down and saw the my shirt had a tear in it and from that hole more and more of my own blood gushed from that hole. I called for help but no one was around or everyone was terrified by what they saw and feared for their own lives. I continued though to walk forward thinking about my life as my limbs became cold and numb, then I fell to my knees and in that moment I knew I was going to die, my life flashed before me and darkness was beginning to cloud my vision and I remember my face hitting the concrete but I hadn't given up instead in my mind I kept telling myself I cannot die and this is not an option. Six days later I opened my eye's and I was in a bed in a hospital room, I started screaming for help and a bunch of nurses and alike came rushing into the room, he is awake they said. I said where am I? You have been in a coma and no one thought you'd ever wake because of what happened to you. I asked, "what happened to me?" They said take it easy the detective will be here soon to explain everything to you. I asked, "Did I do something wrong?" So after a few days the detective from homicide walked in and with a smile, he told me his name and asked me what if anything do I remember I said "nothing". He proceeded to tell me why I was in this bed and how it all went down. He told me two plain clothes narcotic cops saw the whole thing. I asked, "What happened"? He said you walked outside and when turning you were jumped by gang members who I think they thought you were someone else, anyways after they killed you they threw you off a third story balcony to the concrete below and cracked your skull open. Now for all of you who are ready this sounds untrue or unbelievable and I know this but it happened just the way he said it happened.

As for what I saw and experienced being dead is incredible all together, Yes I went through a tunnel of light and all and I saw beautiful landscapes and when I thought to myself "where am I" an Angel appeared, smiled and said......"not yet" and that was when I woke up on the operating room table being cut open to stop the bleeding (well that's what they told me) and here I am today.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

But . . . .

Death?!

What is Death?

A last Breath intake?

Is Death Painful?

So What is death?

As-Salamu Alaykum,

Death?

Answer: An undeniable truth.

What is Death?

Answer: A transition from this world’s life to the life of hereafter.

Answer: It really depends on your deeds. If you were loving, caring, obedient (to your parents and Allah (S.W.T.)) then you wouldn’t even feel the transition (death). It is described as if a drop of water is falling from a roof (peaceful, calm, and at times unnoticeable). If you weren’t obedient (to your parents and Allah (S.W.T.)) and were greedy for worldly matters then you would definitely feel the time of your transition (death). It is described as if a piece of cotton (you) is being pulled through a field or tree of thrones.

Answer: Your heart (and all other major organs) does stop beating but your brain remains alive as long as it receives oxygen. The brain cannot survive 10 minutes without oxygen.

A last Breath intake?

Answer: Remember, when you are experiencing difficulty in breathing one tends to inhale longer breaths. When one is dying, systems are locking up, hence, the last breath is a longer one in the hope to stay alive for few more mins.

Death is an undeniable truth. So instead of questioning it we should strive to make it a peaceful one by being a true and obedient Muslim. It is widely believed that if you are a true follower of Hazrat Muhammad (SAWW) and the Ahlul Bayt (A.S.) then Bibi Fatimah (S.A.) comes to you when you are breathing your last and asks you to smell a rose that she is holding, when the person smells the rose he doesn’t even realize that he has passed away and doesn’t feel the pain of transition (death).

Wa Salaam

• 1 month later...

Socrates in phaedo says it beautifully

"And is this anything but the separation of soul and body? And being dead is the attainment of this separation; when the soul exists in herself, and is parted from the body and the body is parted from the soul-that is death"

before anyone misses the point, he in fact is saying that the body is everything which is the obscurities of the soul, which strives for loftiness

again to further elaborate, the body is that which wants food, sex, comfort, space(limit), companionship, rest, sleep, games etc

while the soul wants excellencies, to be in the presence of God, to be knowledgeable, wisdom, to be free, to be unlimited, to fly, to feel etc

so he is saying that death is separation from these misfortune and beastly desires to fully concentration on those beautiful things which only the soul can experiences, but is interrupted by those needs of the body in order to survive and live

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Socrates in phaedo says it beautifully

"And is this anything but the separation of soul and body? And being dead is the attainment of this separation; when the soul exists in herself, and is parted from the body and the body is parted from the soul-that is death"

before anyone misses the point, he in fact is saying that the body is everything which is the obscurities of the soul, which strives for loftiness

again to further elaborate, the body is that which wants food, sex, comfort, space(limit), companionship, rest, sleep, games etc

while the soul wants excellencies, to be in the presence of God, to be knowledgeable, wisdom, to be free, to be unlimited, to fly, to feel etc

so he is saying that death is separation from these misfortune and beastly desires to fully concentration on those beautiful things which only the soul can experiences, but is interrupted by those needs of the body in order to survive and live

What would be wrong with ending our lives right now (suicide) so we can attain that perfect concentration?

• Advanced Member

Is Death Painful?

good question unsure.gif

Well, it only hurts to those that have been bad in this life...but still thats a good question. If it is a transformation of our soul from this life to the next, then why does our body get injured in the grave? huh.gif

• Veteran Member

"Death" is but a ceasing of molecular animation. As such, the body is allowed to decay, inshallah. (Of course the Pharaoh of Musa(as) is preserved in body.)

Our personal, individual nafs remains, unaffected by bodily death.

Then on the Last Day, the God of Noah(swt) will raise us up from a spot in our backbone.

Those who come safely through on the Last Day, inshallah will be in new forms. The "hell bent" will remain in current form, neither alive nor dead, only punished.

• Advanced Member

I was watching a documentary on the History Channel of people who were announced dead for hours. They said their lives flashed before their eyes and then they were looking down at themselves they could see everyone in the room. One girl freaked out because she was always blind and when she died she experianced vision.

Funny thing is the documentary did not contradict and Islamic teachings german scientists trying to figure out why this happens.

• Advanced Member

"Life is but the shadow of a cloud – the dream of a sleeper"

Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (as)

So i guess you could make out what death is from this saying of Ameer-al-momineen (as)... a phase for coming out of the "dream of a sleeper"...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

What would be wrong with ending our lives right now (suicide) so we can attain that perfect concentration?

Exactly? Same thing I ask myself....

But honestly, from my understanding (I'm not a doctor or anything), death is the on set of entrophy, it starts on a cellular level and spreads throughout the whole organism, it happens in us everyday, yet our white blood cells etc fight them off. Which is why dhikr and is pracice is so interesting because studies have shown meditation boosts your immune system....which in turn fights off the cancerous cells....whch in turn means longer, healthier life....hmmm!

But death is the entropy of organisms and it is also the departure of the animating consciousness that inhabits the body of the organism...really...if scientists just explore death more, they will soon find the ansewr to bringing people back from the dead...and I truly believe decay and death starts ona cellular level....