s.a.b

How many children did Imam Ali(AS) have?

Rate this topic

(salam)

How many children did Imam Ali(AS) have?

I was reading the names of The Companions of Imam Husain (A.S.) Martyred in Karbala and saw this

The Children of Imam Ali (A.S.)

16.‘Abd Allah b. ‘Ali

17.‘Uthman b. ‘Ali

18.Ja’far b. ‘Ali

19.Abu Bakr b. ‘Ali

20.Muhammad b. ‘Ali

21.‘Abbas al-Asghar

22.‘Abbas bin ‘Ali

23.Muhammad b. ‘Abbas b. ‘Ali

I used to think imam hassan and husain are the only sons :wacko:

Here is a link

look page 5

(wasalam)

Edited by s.a.b

salam.gif

bro,check this out.

Wives and children of Hadrat Ali

The principal wife of Hadrat Ali was Hadrat Fatima, the favourite daughter of the holy Prophet. During the lifetime of Hadrat Fatima, Hadrat Ali at one stage proposed to marry a daughter of Abu Jahl. When the holy Prophet came to know of this proposal, he became annoyed and declared that if Hadrat Ali wanted to marry another wife, he should divorce Hadrat Fatima first. Thereupon Hadrat Ali abandoned the idea of marrying another wife. Hadrat Fatima was the mother of three sons and two daughters. The sons were Hasan, Hussain, and Mohsin. Mohsin died during childhood. The daughters were Zainab and Umm Kulthum.

After the death of Hadrat Fatima, Hadrat Ali married a number of wives. They were:

(1) Umm-ul-Bunian who was the daughter of Hazam b. Khalid. Hadrat Ali had five sons from her, namely: Abdullah, Jafar, Abbas, Othman, and Umar. All of them except Abbas were martyred in the battle of Karbala along with Hadrat Hussain.

(2) Khaula was the daughter of Jafar Hanfiyah. She was the mother of the son known as Muhammad b. Hanfiyah.

(3) Umm Habib who was the daughter of Rabiah. She gave birth to a son Umar, in the daughter Ruqiya.

(4) Asma who was the daughter of Umais. She was in the first instance married to Hadrat Jafar, an elder brother of Hadrat Ali. On the death of Hadrat Jafar, Hadrat Abu Bakr married her. After the death of Hadrat Abu Bakr she married Hadrat Ali. She had to sons from Hadrat Ali, namely: Yahya and Muhammad Asghar.

(5) Laila who was the daughter of Masud. She was the mother of two sons, namely Ubaidullah and Abu Bakr.

(6) Umama who was a daughter of Abi Al Aa's and Hadrat Zainab and elder sister of Hadrat Fatima. Her son from Hadrat Ali bore the name of Muhammad Awsat.

(7) Umm Saeed who was a daughter of Urwa. She bore Hadrat Ali two daughters, namely: Umm-ul-Hasan and Rumia.

(8) Muhyat was a daughter of the famous Arab poet Imra-ul-Qais. She gave birth to a daughter who expired in infancy. Hadrat Ali married nine wives in all including Hadrat Fatima. The number of wives at a time however did not exceed four. He had a few slave girls of whom Humia and Umm Shuaib bore him 12 daughters, Nafisa, Zainab, Ruqiya, Umm-ul-Karaam, Humaira, Umm Salma, Sughra, Khadija, Umm Hani, Umm Kulthum Jamana and Maimuna. Hadrat Ali was, in all, the father of 15 sons and 18 daughters. [total = 33 children]

if you have more queries then i think this is the best link and will benefit you a lot.

http://muslim-canada.org/hadratali.htm

wasalam.gif

(salam),

Here's the list of Imam Ali's (as) children and wives from a family tree I have in my possession.

From Fatimah Zahra (as) d/o Prophet (pbuh)

Third Imam, Imam Hussain ibn Ali (as)

Second Imam, Imam Hasan ibn Ali (as)

Zainab bint Ali (as)

Umm-e-Kulthoom bint Ali (as)

From Ummul Baneen (Fatima bint Hizam) d/o Hizam bin Khaild bin Darim

Abul Fadl-al-Abbas ibn Ali (as)

Abdullah ibn Ali

Jafar ibn Ali

Uthman ibn Ali

From Khawla d/o Jafar bin Qais al Hanafi

Muhammad ibn Ali (Muhammad ibn al-Hanafiyyah)

From Umme Habib d/o Rabi a

Umar ibn Ali

Ruqayya bint Ali

From Layla d/o Masud al Darimi

Muhammad ibn Ali

Ubaydullah ibn Ali

From Asma d/o Umays al Khatami

Yahya ibn Ali

This was the wife of Abu Bakr, and before him the wife of Ja'far ibn Abi Talib (as) and the mother of Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr (ra).

From Umme Sa'id d/o Urwa bin Masud Al-Thaqafi

Umm-al-Hassan bint Ali

Ramla bint Ali

Imam Ali had 7 wives. Names in red denote that they were martyred in Karbala.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Edited by Basim Ali

Assalamu alaikum.

As a Sunni it makes me wonder why Shia curse Abu Bakr, Uthman & Omer when Imam Ali named his own children Abu Bakr &

Uthman?

He must have been good friends with them & respected them?

Please clear this one up for me.

(salam),

Here's the list of Imam Ali's (as) children and wives from a family tree I have in my possession.

From Fatimah Zahra (as) d/o Prophet (pbuh)

Third Imam, Imam Hussain ibn Ali (as)

Second Imam, Imam Hasan ibn Ali (as)

Zainab bint Ali (as)

Umm-e-Kulthoom bint Ali (as)

From Ummul Baneen (Fatima bint Hizam) d/o Hizam bin Khaild bin Darim

Abul Fadl-al-Abbas ibn Ali (as)

Abdullah ibn Ali

Jafar ibn Ali

Uthman ibn Ali

From Khawla d/o Jafar bin Qais al Hanafi

Muhammad ibn Ali (Muhammad ibn al-Hanafiyyah)

From Umme Habib d/o Rabi a

Umar ibn Ali

Ruqayya bint Ali

From Layla d/o Masud al Darimi

Muhammad ibn Ali

Ubaydullah ibn Ali

Yahya ibn Ali

This was the wife of Abu Bakr, and before him the wife of Ja'far ibn Abi Talib (as) and the mother of Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr (ra).

From Umme Sa'id d/o Urwa bin Masud Al-Thaqafi

Umm-al-Hassan bint Ali

Ramla bint Ali

Imam Ali had 7 wives. Names in red denote that they were martyred in Karbala.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Could you also indicate which wife he married firs to last in order and if he practiced polygamy and if so which wives were married at the same time?

Yahya ibn Ali

I'm confused. So she married Ja'far, then Abu Bakr and then Imam Ali (as) ?

Edited by AlizeeGagnon

Assalamu alaikum.

As a Sunni it makes me wonder why Shia curse Abu Bakr, Uthman & Omer when Imam Ali named his own children Abu Bakr &

Uthman?

Anyone?

Yahya ibn Ali

Is this the only wife that was married before she finally got to be the wife of Imam Ali s. Muhammad Ibn Abi Bakr was pro-Ahlulbayt s. yes? He knew his father usurped and whatnot?

Assalamu alaikum.

Uthman?

Imam Ali(as) only had a son with name usman,others are simply weak traditions,or made out of taqqiyah,which talks about abu bakr,and umar.The one indicated as umar was Umair al atraaf(as),and martyred in Karbala.And Usman bin Ali(as) was named after his companion not usman bin affan.

Imam Ali(as) only had a son with name usman,others are simply weak traditions,or made out of taqqiyah,which talks about abu bakr,and umar.The one indicated as umar was Umair al atraaf(as),and martyred in Karbala.And Usman bin Ali(as) was named after his companion not usman bin affan.

Can you kindly show me the proof as your Shia brother/sister mentioned both names in the list above?

Can you kindly show me the proof as your Shia brother/sister mentioned both names in the list above?

One of my sister mentioned a source,which was probably a sunni source as the mention of five sons from Ummul Banin(as) is no where in our authentic sources,moreover Syeda Fatima(as) was referred as favorite daughter there,though we believe Her to be only one.

And a brother who gave the list was mostly authentic,but this umar-name thing is not recognized as authentic one.Right now a books i can remember is manaqib ibne shahr ashoob with his children's names, and 14 Sitarey refutes the idea of these names on the basis of Shia ulema'a research, as this book is written by ulema as well.There are more but right now i don't exactly remember.

I ve realized its not worth to argue on this site. So i ll just say it rite away. Believe it or NOt!

About imam alis wives, its recorded in tabaqaat ibn saad that he had 33 children and married 25 wives throughout his life according to historical records, at many times he had more than one wife at a time.. "

salam

Edited by Aftahb

One of my sister mentioned a source,which was probably a sunni source as the mention of five sons from Ummul Banin(as) is no where in our authentic sources,moreover Syeda Fatima(as) was referred as favorite daughter there,though we believe Her to be only one.

And a brother who gave the list was mostly authentic,but this umar-name thing is not recognized as authentic one.Right now a books i can remember is manaqib ibne shahr ashoob with his children's names, and 14 Sitarey refutes the idea of these names on the basis of Shia ulema'a research, as this book is written by ulema as well.There are more but right now i don't exactly remember.

It's all good to presume something, but for your presumption to be true we need to show proof.

Shia & Sunni sources mention these names as you have seen here.

I'm confused. So she married Ja'far, then Abu Bakr and then Imam Ali (as) ?

It appears so, yes. She was first married to Ja'far al-Tayyar (a) and migrated to Abyssinia with him. She was widowed when he was killed in the Battle of Muta' so then Abu Bakr married her. From him, she conceived the very famous and loyal Sahabi of Imam Ali (a) Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr. Later after the death of Abu Bakr, Imam Ali (a) took Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr under his care by marrying her.

She is the same woman who, along with Imam Ali Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã, helped perform the Ghusl of Sayyida Fatima (a) as was requested by her [sayyida Fatima (a)].

Is this the only wife that was married before she finally got to be the wife of Imam Ali s. Muhammad Ibn Abi Bakr was pro-Ahlulbayt s. yes? He knew his father usurped and whatnot?

I'm not sure if she was the only such wife.

But there is absolutely no doubt Muhammad bin Abi Bakr (ra) was pro-AhlulBayt (which was primarily because he grew up under the care of Imam Ali (a) ). We have texts which record his criticism of his own father. He was appointed the governor or Egypt by Imam Ali (a) during his Khilafat. Unfortunately, he was killed, on the orders of Mua'wiya (la) for his loyalty to Imam Ali Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã, ruthlessly, his body stuffed into that of a dead donkey and which was then put on fire. May Allah damn his murderers to the deepest, hottest pits of Hell-fire.

33 children

In Kitab al-Irshad, Shaykh Mufid says Imam Ali (a) had 27 or 28 children.

It appears so, yes. She was first married to Ja'far al-Tayyar (a) and migrated to Abyssinia with him. She was widowed when he was killed in the Battle of Muta' so then Abu Bakr married her. From him, she conceived the very famous and loyal Sahabi of Imam Ali (a) Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr. Later after the death of Abu Bakr, Imam Ali (a) took Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr under his care by marrying her.

She is the same woman who, along with Imam Ali عليه السلام, helped perform the Ghusl of Sayyida Fatima (a) as was requested by her [sayyida Fatima (a)].

I'm not sure if she was the only such wife.

But there is absolutely no doubt Muhammad bin Abi Bakr (ra) was pro-AhlulBayt (which was primarily because he grew up under the care of Imam Ali (a) ). We have texts which record his criticism of his own father. He was appointed the governor or Egypt by Imam Ali (a) during his Khilafat. Unfortunately, he was killed, on the orders of Mua'wiya (la) for his loyalty to Imam Ali عليه السلام, ruthlessly, his body stuffed into that of a dead donkey and which was then put on fire. May Allah damn his murderers to the deepest, hottest pits of Hell-fire.

In Kitab al-Irshad, Shaykh Mufid says Imam Ali (a) had 27 or 28 children.

So what ?

33 or 27 or 28. Allah/Imam knws the truth.

IF imam know's the truth,

and it looks like he  is more knowledgeable and powerful

and as shia books claim he know everything starting from the beginning of the world. ( i will give you video proof, from great shia sholars in iran and iraq)

so why did'nt the prophet consulted imam Ali when he had problems like when he was under the spell of magic. 

and there are many examples. like Imam Ali should have told prophet that all his friends will turn away from religion.

so that prophet would have left abu bakr, umar and usman before his death

Assalamu alaikum.

Uthman?

Assalamu alaikum,
I will try to answer your question. 
Firstly a child has 3 rights: 1-the teaching of th Curan 2-the teaching of akhlaq 3- you give the a good name.
As to Imam Ali (as) naming one of his son Abu Bakr; Firstly Abu Bakr is not a name, it's a title. Abu Bakr's original name was 3atik (عتيق). His father had a title Abi Qahafa. When Abu Bakr became a muslim, he changed his name from 3atik to AbdAllah bin Abi Qahafa. So if Imam Ali wanted to name his son after Abu Bakr, he would name his 3atik or AbdAllah, not Abu Bakr. Secondly, Imam Ali's son who is called Abu Bakr, his original name was Mohammed Al-Asghar. Some people might have called him Abu Bakr, but not Imam Ali. There's not one single hadith where he says: My son, Mohammed Al-Asghar's title is Abu Bakr. And even if Imam Ali called his son Abu Bakr, does that necessarly means he called him after Abu Bakr ibn Othman. What? Imam Ali did not have a friend called Abu Bakr, there's no other Abu Bakr existing at the time in the whole of Mecca or Madina? One of Imam Ali's closest friend was called Abu Bakr ibn Hazem Al-Ansari. Why can't Imam Ali call his son after Abu Bakr ibn  Hazem Al-Ansari. 
2) Umar: When Umar ibn Khatab heard the Imam Ali's wife was pregnant, he said I want the kid to be named after me. I ask since when did Imam Ali took advice from Umar to name his kids. Secondly, there were 35 Umar living in the time when Uma r ibn Ali was born. So what, if Imam Ali name his Umar it's only after Umar ibn Al-Khatab? Imam Ali answered that question btw. Someone came up to Imam Ali and asked him: your son Umar, who did you name him after? Imam ali replied: I named him after Umar ibn Mukrin. 
Umar ibn Mukrin was the son of Umm Salama, the wife of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh). Umm Salama prior to being the wife the Prophet, she was married and had kids with her first husband. Of those kids was Umar ibn Mukrin. This Umar do you know how loyal he was to Imam Ali? Battle of Jamal: frontline. Battle of Suffyn: frontline. He was the governor of Bahrain for Imam Ali. That's a prestigious position. There's not one single hadith where Imam Ali said: I named my son Umar after Umar ibn Al-Khattab. Rather he says: I named my son after Umar ibn Mukrin because I have so much love and respect for him that I wanted 1 of my sons to be named after him.
Othman: There's not 1 hadith where Imam Ali says that he named his son Othman after Othman ibn Affan. Rather he named him after Othman ibn Math'oun. He was the 14th revert to the religion of Islam. He was an extremely humble and loyal sahabi of Rassulallah (pbuh). Imam Ali used to praise him for 1 thing: In the days of Jahaliyah, before the religion of Islam was brought, Othman ibn Math'oun was one of a few Arabs who never approached alcohol. Why? He'd say because it inhibits the rationnal faculties and I don't want to be rude to others because of what the alcohol does. He has one famous story: Aisha went to the house of the woman who used to be the most beautiful woman in Arabia. But when Aisha went she saw that the woman was nothing of the beauty she once was. Rather her hair was messy and her apperennce neglected. So Aisha asked her: What happened to you? You used to be so beautiful. The womand said: who should I be beautiful for? My husband is spending the whole day fasting and the whole night praying, he doen's even acknowledge me. So Aisha went to RassulAlllah (pbuh) and said that Othman is not treating his wife properly. So the Prophet (pbuh) went to Othman knowing that Othman is a sincere human being. So he than asked: Othman have you been negleting the rights of your wife?
Othman: O RassulAllah I fast all day and pray all night. I do not perfume, I don't eat meat and I stay away from my wife so that I can concentrate on Allah. 
The Prophet: I am one who perfumes, I am one who eats meat, I am one who is with my women. Islam is not staying away from all of them, Islam is having balance with all of them. 
Othman: Ya RassulAllah forgive me, I haven't seen it that way. 
So when Umm al-banin gave birth to her son, Imam ALi said I want to name him Othman after Othman ibn Math'oun.
Now I ask a question: If you are saying that Imam Ali named his sons Abu Bakr, Umar and Othman because he loved them so much, then did they name their sons after AhlulBayt? if they say they love Imam Ali and all of the family of the Prophet (pbuh) than surely they would name their children after them, wouldn't they?
The kids of Abu Bakr ibn Abi Qahafa: Asma, Aisha, Abd al-Rahman
The kids of Umar ibn Al-Khattab: Hafsa, AbdAllah, Abd Al-Rahman
The kids of Othman ibn Affan: Aban, AbdAllah, Sa'id, Mariam.
If they love AhlulBayt as they claimed then why didn't they call one of their kids after them?
- When I, as a SHIA, have an issue with Abu Bakr ibn Abi Qahafa, Umar ibn Al-Khattab and Othman ibn Affan, it's not because I randomly woke up one day and claimed to hate them. Rather it's because I saw the abduction of the rights of Alaa Muhammed, the abduction of the right of succesion of the man named at Al-Ghadir, the abduction of Fedak from Fatima Al-Zahra (as) and much more than this. All of these are references to why I, and billions other Shia, have an issue with Abu Bakr, Umar, Othman. I have historical references. 

I hope I answered your question (wasalam)
source: Sayed Ammar Nakshawani