Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Hijab and Exercise

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

^as for clothing, I do that same as Tonks. And for hijab, I usually wear those bonnet caps underneath and wear hijab over that, most often a square hijab that's a very light material. The bonnet caps help because they hold your hair back and prevent it from coming out. And they also serve as a sweat band XP

I do a lot of floor work (pilates) and things that involve a great deal of movement and even being upside down. I need something that can stand up to that kind of activity. Square scarves with pins don't work for me. Al amira's are the closest I've come to anything that even kind of works and it still requires more pinning then I'd prefer.

usually it's all women. I'm a little overly cautious even amongst women.

I recently had an issue with a health care provider discussing me with male colleagues and their conversation was TOTALLY unrelated to my health. Apparently her male colleagues were offended that I wouldn't expose more than hands and face or let them touch me. This was really exacerbated by the fact that another Muslima patient had no problem getting pretty much naked with one of the men and they didn't understand why *I* was such a prude. :wacko:). I was later told that pretty much the whole office was abuzz. I'm still pretty angry about that whole incident.

I had another issue when the maintenance man decided to take a stroll through my "women only" gym, and management thought I was overreacting when I canceled my membership and stopped going. Besides you have the issues with the lesbians... and it just seems that entirely too many men want to know what's under your hijab and too many women are too eager to describe it to them.

• Veteran Member

^ Sorry for poking my nose in but If I were you, I'd most probably dress like them to stop all the gossip. Call me silly but I think sometimes observing hijab achieves EXACTLY the OPPOSITE purpose for which it is observed. In such a scenario, you can better fulfill your obligation of hijab by going hijabless. LOL.

Don't get me wrong. 'twas a thought. I support you.

^ Sorry for poking my nose in but If I were you, I'd most probably dress like them to stop all the gossip. Call me silly but I think sometimes observing hijab achieves EXACTLY the OPPOSITE purpose for which it is observed. In such a scenario, you can better fulfill your obligation of hijab by going hijabless. LOL.

Don't get me wrong. 'twas a thought. I support you.

As salaam alaykum,

What do you believe is the purpose of hijab?

• Veteran Member

As salaam alaykum,

What do you believe is the purpose of hijab?

Ws

Among other things, being in hijab saves you from the undeserved attention, either sexually motivated or other, of the members of opposite sex and, in some cases, of homosexuals. In your setting, your hijab is not meeting this requirement. In fact, your hijabi behaviour/policies have unfairly made you a topic of discussion. You can help reduce the hoo-ha by settling in the middle. Why would you want to cover your hair if the place you go to is a women only facility?

Edited by Marbles

Ws

Among other things, being in hijab saves you from the undeserved attention, either sexually motivated or other, of the members of opposite sex and, in some cases, of homosexuals. In your setting, your hijab is not meeting this requirement. In fact, your hijabi behaviour/policies have unfairly made you a topic of discussion. You can help reduce the hoo-ha by settling in the middle. Why would you want to cover your hair if the place you go to is a women only facility?

The purpose of hijab is *not* to save you from "undeserved" attention. The qur'an specifically states that a Muslima's dress is at least in part to identify her as a Muslima. So no, my adherence to Allah's laws is not in anyway a violation of...Allah's laws. Letter and spirit are intact.

The medical professionals were being unprofessional and gossipy, even if I didn't have a headscarf the issue would have been my refusal to use a male practitioner when an equally qualified woman was available, once again letter and spirit intact.

Thirdly, my facility isn't woman only. The classes are usually all women, but sometimes there are men.

Edited by AnotherUmmAli
  • Veteran Member

The purpose of hijab is *not* to save you from "undeserved" attention. The qur'an specifically states that a Muslima's dress is at least in part to identify her as a Muslima. So no, my adherence to Allah's laws is not in anyway a violation of...Allah's laws. Letter and spirit are intact.

Sis, actually I am more interested in the *utility of hijab* than literally observing the rules as laid down back then for the people of 7th century Arabia. One of the purposes of hijab is to save you from the pervy eyes of the members of the opposite sex. Therefore I think that it partly defeats the purpose of hijab [as head covering] when you attract more attention for wearing it compared to when you take it off. However, your case is more complex as I read below. :)

Sorry this has been somewhat off-topic. Please carry on with the subject of the thread.

The medical professionals were being unprofessional and gossipy, even if I didn't have a headscarf the issue would have been my refusal to use a male practitioner when an equally qualified woman was available, once again letter and spirit intact.

Thirdly, my facility isn't woman only. The classes are usually all women, but sometimes there are men.

Edited by Marbles
  • Advanced Member
I am more interested in the *utility of hijab* than literally observing the rules as laid down back then for the people of 7th century Arabia.

As far as I am aware, the rule was laid down by our Holy Prophet without the caveat that it was for a given place or time. And since it has never been repealed, it continues to be a valid Islamic injunction for Muslims everywhere. For us Shias, it can only be annulled by our Living Imam.

I think that it partly defeats the purpose of hijab [as head covering] when you attract more attention for wearing it compared to when you take it off.

It would certainly not attract undue attention in a Muslim country. Or even in a country like India, where non-Muslims are used to the HIjab for centuries.

In the West, people have been getting used to it for the last three or four decades. I agree it could still arouse some curiosity but I seriously doubt if it would increase the chance of molestation or harassment. If anything, it should lessen it. So it does not defeat the purpose for which it was introduced, which I believe was to discourage sleazy glances and to inculcate modesty in a woman.

As for modesty, I am not saying that putting off the Hijab would make a woman immodest. Of course not. But I strongly believe that wearing it would help her further her modesty, if she is doing it sincerely and voluntarily.

• Veteran Member

It would certainly not attract undue attention in a Muslim country. Or even in a country like India, where non-Muslims are used to the HIjab for centuries.

In the West, people have been getting used to it for the last three or four decades. I agree it could still arouse some curiosity but I seriously doubt if it would increase the chance of molestation or harassment. If anything, it should lessen it. So it does not defeat the purpose for which it was introduced, which I believe was to discourage sleazy glances and to inculcate modesty in a woman.

In the West, sometimes, hijab increases the chance of harassment and violence. Hijabis can get into serious trouble for the mere fact that they are hijabis [and Muslims]. I'd advise my women not to put on hijab in such places if there is a danger of being targeted.

• Advanced Member

^I don't understand this 'logic' of yours!

Why go to/live such places in the first place? @#$%&

Where your imaan is threatened? It is in fact actually HARAM to live in such a place. (I will try and dig up the majalis on this topic)

Also I agree, hijab can't protect you if you go downtown to a club. For sure you'll get harrassed!

If one doesn't want to wear the hijab, just take it off! Do NOT make a mockery of that sacred practice!

I got my dad to get me some low mainteinence excersise equipment and small weights and have it set up in my basement, one has a choice for everything!

If there is a mcdonalds on the first floor of a mall but a halal shawarma shop on the second, no one is forcing you to go eat at mcdonalds!

Choices, choices, choices!

Living in the west!

There is absolutely no excuse..

• Advanced Member
It is in fact actually HARAM to live in such a place.

It may be HARAM if one has a choice.

I got my dad to get me some low mainteinence excersise equipment and small weights and have it set up in my basement, one has a choice for everything!

You may be fortunate enough to have a dad to set up things for you according to your choice.

Choices, choices, choices! Living in the west! There is absolutely no excuse

But for many people, choices are limited or even non-existent. It is by no means easy to move to another town or country just because the conditions are not quite favourable in the place you live in.

Please don't judge the world from your own little ivory castle.

And not too many decades ago it was considered immodest for a Christian lady to appear in public with her head uncovered or her arms or ankles showing!

Could you please give some details. What period and country are you talking about ? I need the specifics, if you can kindly give me, for one of my articles.

If that's for me, I'd like to ask how.

I think what she is trying to say is whatever you might do in your personal life, presenting it in this forum could be mistaken as an argument against it.

• Advanced Member

You may be fortunate enough to have a dad to set up things for you according to your choice.

Please do not judge, I saved money up for years before being able to do so.

Since my father believes in his children to become independant after a certain age.

The only things he provides money for is school tution, the rest he considers leisurely-so we have to work jobs in order to even dream of having such things.

But for many people, choices are limited or even non-existent. It is by no means easy to move to another town or country just because the conditions are not quite favourable in the place you live in.

Please don't judge the world from your own little ivory castle.

You are the one only who has judged, wrongly too.

I wish I could be in an ivory castle, closed off from the world, but it is not so.

I believe that we ALL made a CHOICE to come to the west from our countries.

Did we not?

Now that we are here, there ARE tons of choices IF one wishes to see! (as I have proved before)

This brings a suitable quote to mind, "There is enough light for one who wants to see" - Imam Ali

laugh.gif One isn't going to die, if he refrains from doubtful actions and things which threaten his faith.

Isn't that what this temporary abode (test) from an islamic viewpoint is all about? Submitting completely to Allah and obeying his every command!

I find people who are not willing to do such small sacrifices (which in the end is all for their benefit) call themselves muslims...the biggest hypocricy ever.

@Marbles: How could it be for you? I was saying it in general-in acordance/reply to your viewpoint.

If we are oppressed and threatened, doesn't it become WAJIB to relocate as soon as we are able, following the sunnah of Ibrahim as.gif? Compromising religious laws is a sin unless there is a direct and immediate threat and there is no other option.

Exactly! It doesn't mean that if you can't bear it, to take it off!

Then what is the point of being a muslim?

• Veteran Member
I find people who are not willing to do such small sacrifices (which in the end is all for their benefit) call themselves muslims...the biggest hypocricy ever

What is a small sacrifice for one person could be a large sacrifice for another and a virtual impossibility for a third.

We find no oppression in the country we live in. But if things were to change, we would find it difficult to relocate even to a different suburb in the same town.

I don't think we can generalize. And I think no one is entitled to call another a hypocrite. I would prefer to be called a dog than to be branded a hypocrite.

It would be best to leave it to God to judge who is a hypocrite and who is not.

If we are oppressed and threatened, doesn't it become WAJIB to relocate as soon as we are able, following the sunnah of Ibrahim (as)? Compromising religious laws is a sin unless there is a direct and immediate threat and there is no other option.

Indeed, you have rightly added the clause "and there is no other option".

But I doubt if the SUNNAT of Prophet Ibrahim (pbuh) would make it unconditionally WAJIB. I think it would depend on one's circumstances. Some people may find it very difficult or even impossible to move. Everyone may have a different set of reasons for his (or her) decision and I guess it would not be fair to generalize.

Only God can judge.

• Advanced Member

Sayyeda Zainub (a.s) alongside with many of our famous female personalities fought just for Hijab, just like our sisters in turkey are fighting for Hijab, I wouldn't even contemplate removing it without putting a fight for it or suffering quite a bit.

Anyway, lets try and help UmmAli with her issue rather than getting into a massive debate about Hijab lol

• Advanced Member

Salaam alaykum.

I went to one ladies only gym few times. However there were maybe 1 or 2 male workers who may come around suddenly...

I wore wide leg trousers and knee length loose hooded tunic which I had made for myself. I wore the normal underscarf and put the hood on and closed it by hijab pin. I think the hooded shirts are best for that purpose. If there are no men around you can cover the most of the hair by the underscarf... and if any man comes then you can easily pull on the hood without drawing too much attention to yourself...

There's one hooded long shirt on Shukr: http://www.shukr.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=wB5055&Category_Code=women-hoods

post-5898-12523475376791.jpg

• Veteran Member

What is a small sacrifice for one person could be a large sacrifice for another and a virtual impossibility for a third.

We find no oppression in the country we live in. But if things were to change, we would find it difficult to relocate even to a different suburb in the same town.

I don't think we can generalize. And I think no one is entitled to call another a hypocrite. I would prefer to be called a dog than to be branded a hypocrite.

It would be best to leave it to God to judge who is a hypocrite and who is not.

Indeed, you have rightly added the clause "and there is no other option".

But I doubt if the SUNNAT of Prophet Ibrahim (pbuh) would make it unconditionally WAJIB. I think it would depend on one's circumstances. Some people may find it very difficult or even impossible to move. Everyone may have a different set of reasons for his (or her) decision and I guess it would not be fair to generalize.

Only God can judge.

+1

Nice one.

• Advanced Member

@ILIH

I understand where your going with this, but you don't get the gist of it all. So it's useless and will keep going in circles.

Also, because ppl are just cherry picking and completely avoiding the issue as a whole. *bangs head on table*

And perhaps, hypocrite was the wrong word.

sayonara.