Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
bladeknight

What is the importance of being syed?

Rate this topic

My father has a lot of pride in us being syed, but I don't see where this pride comes from. I mean, we are all descendants of prophet adam so why should people take pride in being syed, in other words being a part of the ahl-e-bayt?

Syed's aren't important, Syed's think they're all cool and of high status, Syed's suck!!!

There; I summarized pretty much all the responses you'll be getting in this topic.

*On a more serious note....people in general take pride in where they come from, they take pride in who their ancestors were. If there is a group of people who's ancestors happen to be among the Ahlul Bayt (as) then what is wrong with them being proud of who's progeny they are from?

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean Syed's should go around claiming to be 'better' than everyone else. There are definitely non-Syed's who are better Shias than those who are Syed. But out of respect for Ahlul Bayt (as), let's not hate on their descendants please, even though some of them may not be worthy of their bloodline.

Just because you syed doesn't mean you should be bragging all about it thinking OH I AM GENETICALLY BETTER THAN YOU LOLOLOLOL. Like AliWala said, there are Non-Syed's much better than actual Syed's. Being 1 doesn't mean you're automatically getting jannah lol.

*On a more serious note....people in general take pride in where they come from, they take pride in who their ancestors were. If there is a group of people who's ancestors happen to be among the Ahlul Bayt (as) then what is wrong with them being proud of who's progeny they are from?

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean Syed's should go around claiming to be 'better' than everyone else. There are definitely non-Syed's who are better Shias than those who are Syed. But out of respect for Ahlul Bayt (as), let's not hate on their descendants please, even though some of them may not be worthy of their bloodline.

Are you saying that it is ok to be proud of Ahlulbayt alone or are you saying that it is ok for people to take pride in themselves because their lineage is from ahlulbayt?

I just want to know what is the importance of being a syed?

In my humble opinion one reason we identify the sayids is to remind people that the lineage of prophet Muhammad has become very populous. Think about surah kawthar and the people who used to make fun of him for not having any sons.

They say sayids are punished doubly for their sins and rewarded doubly for their good deeds. Can someone explain to me why that is the case?

Syed's aren't important, Syed's think they're all cool and of high status, Syed's suck!!!

There; I summarized pretty much all the responses you'll be getting in this topic.

LOOOL

In my humble opinion one reason we identify the sayids is to remind people that the lineage of prophet Muhammad has become very populous. Think about surah kawthar and the people who used to make fun of him for not having any sons.

They say sayids are punished doubly for their sins and rewarded doubly for their good deeds. Can someone explain to me why that is the case?

O man, that means that my sins will be doubly punished. I did not think of that. Any other importance does being a syed have?

I am copy pasting this post third time (sorry :blush: ) but i want more and more people to read it...

Being a syed doesn't make one superior.. if thats so then we are contradicting with Prophet's (pbuh) last Hajj sermon... We shia particularly syeds remember that Prophet mentioned Ali (as) as wali on the last hajj sermon but have completely forgotten this:No Arab is superior to a non-arab nor a white over a black... Its piety that makes one superoir... Here is a further explanation to your answer:-

" The good people (naikokar) among us (sayyeds) will gain twice thawwab for a good deed and the bad people (badkar) will gain twice gunnah. Just like Quran has explained about the Prophet's wives. That is because the person, belonging to my family do a good deed in fact he did two things; one, that he performed a good deed just like ordinary people secondly he kept the respect and protected the greatness of Hloy Prophet (saww).. And if someone among us (sayyeds, belonging to Prophet's lineage) commit a sin that will be equivalent to two sins; one that he committed a sin like ordinary people secondly he spoiled the dignity (izat o abro) of Holy Prophet(saww)."

Imam Zain ul abideen qouted by Imam Ali reza delivering a khuttba to the public especially, addressing his brother "zaid un nar" ...

He also said this in the beginning: " .....The tradition that you(zaid) have listened that the Children of Fatimah will be protected from the fires of hell, (this tradition) belongs to Fatimah's immediate(bila fasl) children who are hassan, hussain, kulthom and zainab (pb on all of them)...."

and in the end our beloved imam told the public this : "Who ever remains obedient to Allah he belongs to We, the Ahul ul bayt(as) whether or not he is from our lineage. Who ever is a sinful person does not belong to us whether or not he is from the true lineage of Bibi Fatimah ....."

I have taken these traditions from a story, mentioned in the book "Saachi kahanian" by ayatollah shaheed murtaza mutahri he has takern it from Bahr ul Anar vol 10 pg 65

we should respect every human particularly a practicing shia muslim..

p.s. I apologize from Allah and from you if i had translated something wrong, as the tradition was in urdu and i had to translate it in English... and i m weak at both of the languages...

Muhammad ali i hope the post answered your querry too :)

Edited by Fida wal muqawamah

I am copy pasting this post third time (sorry :blush: ) but i want more and more people to read it...

Being a syed doesn't make one superior.. if thats so then we are contradicting with Prophet's (pbuh) last Hajj sermon... We shia particularly syeds remember that Prophet mentioned Ali (as) as wali on the last hajj sermon but have completely forgotten this:No Arab is superior to a non-arab nor a white over a black... Its piety that makes one superoir... Here is a further explanation to your answer:-

" The good people (naikokar) among us (sayyeds) will gain twice thawwab for a good deed and the bad people (badkar) will gain twice gunnah. Just like Quran has explained about the Prophet's wives. That is because the person, belonging to my family do a good deed in fact he did two things; one, that he performed a good deed just like ordinary people secondly he kept the respect and protected the greatness of Hloy Prophet (saww).. And if someone among us (sayyeds, belonging to Prophet's lineage) commit a sin that will be equivalent to two sins; one that he committed a sin like ordinary people secondly he spoiled the dignity (izat o abro) of Holy Prophet(saww)."

Imam Zain ul abideen qouted by Imam Ali reza delivering a khuttba to the public especially, addressing his brother "zaid un nar" ...

He also said this in the beginning: " .....The tradition that you(zaid) have listened that the Children of Fatimah will be protected from the fires of hell, (this tradition) belongs to Fatimah's immediate(bila fasl) children who are hassan, hussain, kulthom and zainab (pb on all of them)...."

and in the end our beloved imam told the public this : "Who ever remains obedient to Allah he belongs to We, the Ahul ul bayt(as) whether or not he is from our lineage. Who ever is a sinful person does not belong to us whether or not he is from the true lineage of Bibi Fatimah ....."

I have taken these traditions from a story, mentioned in the book "Saachi kahanian" by ayatollah shaheed murtaza mutahri he has takern it from Bahr ul Anar vol 10 pg 65

we should respect every human particularly a practicing shia muslim..

p.s. I apologize from Allah and from you if i had translated something wrong, as the tradition was in urdu and i had to translate it in English... and i m weak at both of the languages...

Muhammad ali i hope the post answered your querry too :)

I understand. I am not saying that I am superior to any one of you all. All of you in this forum are very smart people in shia islam, something I would like to strive for one day. I just want to know any benefits of being syed. Because if they are no benefits, then why am I called a syed. I just want to know the pros and cons of being syed. By the way, does being syed automatically mean that your ancestry is arab, regardless if you are pakistani or not?

I understand. I am not saying that I am superior to any one of you all. All of you in this forum are very smart people in shia islam, something I would like to strive for one day. I just want to know any benefits of being syed. Because if they are no benefits, then why am I called a syed. I just want to know the pros and cons of being syed. By the way, does being syed automatically mean that your ancestry is arab, regardless if you are pakistani or not?

(salam),

Syed is a title. It is an honourable title which identifies you as a direct descendant of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). This title should be honoured by not disgracing it, since very little people have the honour of being a Syed.

By Syed being a honourable title, I do not mean it makes you superior to non-Syeds. Yet you should thank Allah for making you a great-grandson of Imam Ali (as).

There are slightly different rules for Syeds too, which I think won't be necessary, here.

And yes, all Syeds' ancestry is Arab. Syeds mean that they always HAVE a lineage from the Prophet (pbuh). Since the Prophet (pbuh) was Arab, our ancestry is definitely too, no matter what the current nationality maybe, Pakistani, Iranian, Indian, etc.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

0786/110

(salam),

Syed is a title. It is an honourable title which identifies you as a direct descendant of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). This title should be honoured by not disgracing it, since very little people have the honour of being a Syed.

By Syed being a honourable title, I do not mean it makes you superior to non-Syeds. Yet you should thank Allah for making you a great-grandson of Imam Ali (as).

There are slightly different rules for Syeds too, which I think won't be necessary, here.

And yes, all Syeds' ancestry is Arab. Syeds mean that they always HAVE a lineage from the Prophet (pbuh). Since the Prophet (pbuh) was Arab, our ancestry is definitely too, no matter what the current nationality maybe, Pakistani, Iranian, Indian, etc.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Vey well put you are a clever boy.

Unfortunatly lots of shia love to speak badly about syeds just to make them feel better themselves. What shia people don't get is that they won't gain anything from talking badly about syeds. Some syeds are good and some are bad just like the entire humanity.

being syed is much tougher... as we have MORE responsibilities in a society and if we sin we will obviously be accountable for it even harsher...

on a side note one of the poem from Shaukat raza Shaukat (pretty controversial) says that even if the water is dirty its characteristic is that it will always put off the fire... he was referring to bad syeds and saying that they should always be respected...

generally speaking being a syed is something to be proud of BUT in a positive way...for example i heard from a scholar that a syed village was completely destroyed coz of fire and the nearby village tried to help them but they refuse to receive help saying proudly that they are syeds and they dont take charity even though there was no harm in taking at that time...

salam

(salam)

It's such a huge responsibility.One should have noble moral character,if he/she claims to be Syed.It doesn't mean that you are claiming to be Syed and not fulfilling your duties.Only boosting doesn't help much.Islam is the most anti-racist and anti-prejudicial way of life.

We will truly be lost if we nurture and raise our children to believe that they are better Muslims than other because they were brought up in the home of specific ethnicity/race.It is arrogant to do so. After all arrogance is a natural human reaction but that doesn't justify abandoning the effort to fight the tendency to look down on other Muslims.So if one claims to be Syed/Syeda then he/she should be more pious than other ppl otherwise it would be like building castles in the air.

(wasalam)

Edited by saba fatima naqvi

:) @ the thread and the angry replies...

Haider zaidi, my dear brother whats the point of getting so much angry and asking to seize this thread...

I don't understand why is everyone being so much angry... using large and bold fonts wont help... Just make your point, no need to get angry, its a forum where people exchange their views and knowledge, correct themselves (i have been corrected so so many times)... If you people have a point then please just place it.. discussing issues help but suppressing them wont...

@ the chemist.. no one has abused or caused disrespect to any syed my dear sister :D and no one was trash talking about them too... right? The point was to clarify some the wrong concepts of "syeds being superior to others" what i had deduced from the above mentioned story of Imam Ali Reza (as) is that no one is superior to anyone except in piety... besides syeds are not like common people they are syeds they have much great responsibilities than other people in the humanity, they are not like the whole humanity or more appropriately should not be like common people...

very well said saba and rballer being syed is a great responsibilty...

P.S. i myself is a syed, so i don't have any personal enmity towards them :D ...

Funny thing I have noticed whenever I read a thread about this topic (and God knows there seems to be one that pops up every few weeks) is that it is always a Syed vs. Non-Syed battle of sorts. Non-Syeds always say that it shouldn't matter whether you are Syed or not, its all about being a good muslim. (Very true point in my opinion) while the Syeds then make the claim about how a Syed should set a better example (yet another very true point) but in the end the thread gets nowhere.

The basic moral of it all is whether you are Syed or not you still have a responsibility as a Muslim to be a God fearing person who follows the Quran, the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and the Imams (as). Being a Syed is something to be proud of by all means but if you're not a good Muslim that follows the teachings of your ancestors then what difference does it make?

Just my 2 cents. BTW I am a Musavi Syed.

(salam),

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

I have no intention of being superior towards every other muslim. I don't understand why some shias hate syeds. That like saying I hate Hazrat Ali. Believe me, I would love to thank Allah for making me a Syed, but I just don't see why I should be thankful. That's why I came to discuss this topic. Now what do you mean there are slightly different rules for syeds?

I have no intention of being superior towards every other muslim. I don't understand why some shias hate syeds. That like saying I hate Hazrat Ali. Believe me, I would love to thank Allah for making me a Syed, but I just don't see why I should be thankful. That's why I came to discuss this topic. Now what do you mean there are slightly different rules for syeds?

(salam),

Firstly, I don't understand whether you really meant to post what you posted! You're saying Shias hate syeds, right? Many Shias are syeds, so Shias are saying that they hate themselves, or maybe their Shia brothers???

Like I told you, being Syed is an honourable title. We should be honoured to be a great grandson of Fatima (as) and Imam Ali (as), and ofcourse, the Prophet (pbuh) the greatest man to set foot on the Earth. That's all. Nothing to it, more than this.

As for the different rules, there is just one rule different for them that Zakat can not be payed to Syeds. Hence before paying Zakat to a particular person, you need to first inquire whether he is a Syed or not.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Yeah, but if I am giving zakat and then not receiving zakat how is that fair? If a syed is poor, how is it fair not give him zakat? Is it because you are trying to respect him? What is the point of the respect when he is dying of hunger and needs charity from you guys.

salaam, i am new here...

I recently found out that i am a syed. To be honest I did feel something different in that i felt as though I should be more responsible for myself even more.

But in noway do I feel superior to anyone else. quite the opposite actually.

Wsalaam

Fida wal muqawamah, that hadeeth you sited was full of parenthetical additions not in the actual hadeeth. Muhammad never said anything in it about his descendants outside of the Ahlu-l-Kisa being such individuals. It just isn't there. i am studying to be a Professor and this sort citation would get your paper handed back. It's not an evidentiary source for this claim.

Yeah, but if I am giving zakat and then not receiving zakat how is that fair? If a syed is poor, how is it fair not give him zakat? Is it because you are trying to respect him? What is the point of the respect when he is dying of hunger and needs charity from you guys.

(salam),

But you're forgetting that Syed are not totally deprived of charity. Zakat is for non-Syeds and Khums for Syeds.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Fida wal muqawamah, that hadeeth you sited was full of parenthetical additions not in the actual hadeeth. Muhammad never said anything in it about his descendants outside of the Ahlu-l-Kisa being such individuals. It just isn't there. i am studying to be a Professor and this sort citation would get your paper handed back. It's not an evidentiary source for this claim.

Sorry but i don't understand the bold part as i failed to make a connection between mines and yours post :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Could you please be kind to explain

thank you

(salam),

But you're forgetting that Syed are not totally deprived of charity. Zakat is for non-Syeds and Khums for Syeds.

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

(bismillah)

Just want to pint out that Khums is not charity. Khums is the RIGHT of Imam and Syeds.

There is no ahsan in giving out Khums, its their property. Its their money in your pocket.

WS

(bismillah)

Just want to pint out that Khums is not charity. Khums is the RIGHT of Imam and Syeds.

There is no ahsan in giving out Khums, its their property. Its their money in your pocket.

WS

(salam),

Correction to post #30.

"But you're forgetting that Syeds are not toally deprived of money from others... ;) ;)"

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Fida wal muqawamah, in the hadeeth you cited Muhammad was only referring to himself and his immediate family. He never said anything about descendants. i was just pointing this out, as the question is not about daleel for these rules upon the Ahlu-l-Bayt, but upon descendants from Husayn apart from the A'immah and their immediate families.

Citation please.