In the Name of God بسم الله

Marjas

Rate this topic

Frosty

• Advanced Member

I am just curious and while I thinkI have made my choice I would like to pose a couple of questions to the forum. Who is marja and why have you chosen him? What makes him better than others out there? What is the significance of the marja and in what matter/how do we look at him? How does on go about selecting one, what's the criteria?

• Veteran Member

I follow 14 marja's....because they are masoom

Here is what the 12th Imams advise is.

''As for events that may occur (al-hawadith al-waqi'a) [when you may need guidance] refer to the transmitters (ruwat) of our teachings who are my Hujjah (proof) to you and I am the proof of God (Hujjatullah) to you all.''

Shaikh al-Saduq, Ikmal al-Din, Ali Akbar al-Qafari (ed), Qom, 1405AH, Volume 2, Chapter 45, p. 483.

• Advanced Member

^jazakallah akhi

When non usoolis say:

"I only do Taqleed of 12 imams / 14 ma'sooms " they are not unlike the Kharijites - (who claimed following is to Allah only.)

Imam Ali's (as) response to people like you was, "the slogan is right but the implication is false"

The message which Imam Ali(as) wanted to convey (was) that "You cannot directly emulate (or follow) some one who is in occulation" may it be the creator (Allah) or the creation (Imam).

So what should the followers of prophet Muhammed (pbuh) do in this time when the source of all wisdom and knowledge is in everlasting occulation and the vicegerant of Him (i.e. the last Imam) is in temporary but a prolonged occulation by the will of Allah?

Doesn't it make more sense for the followers of Islam to follow the most learned and just people among muslim as recommended by the 11th Imam Hassan al-Askari (as)?

Of course, every one agrees that a masoom (infallible) has to be followed by all, but how are we going to follow a masoom when he is not present among us?

Today we have new issues which were not clearly addressed in Prophet's or Imams' times. Who is going to decide about them?

If we rely on ourselves then there will be too much confusion. Everyone will be making decisions based on his own limited knowledge of religion. Some of us might be right, while many of us might be wrong.

In such a scenario, it is better to follow a person who has spent his lifetime studying religion tirelessly, and whom some very learned and respected people have approved of.

We now rely on this Grand Aalim in the absence of Hujjat e Khuda, the Masoom, the Infallible.

And surely, this is a more rational thing to do then to follow our own selves.

Following a marj'a will help us stay united. In my view, these ulema are a Gift of Allah to us. Mashallah to them for their devotion.

May Allah bless those muslims who sincerely and actually follow the Ahlulbayt (as) :)

• Advanced Member

Here is what the 12th Imams advise is.

''As for events that may occur (al-hawadith al-waqi'a) [when you may need guidance] refer to the transmitters (ruwat) of our teachings who are my Hujjah (proof) to you and I am the proof of God (Hujjatullah) to you all.''

Shaikh al-Saduq, Ikmal al-Din, Ali Akbar al-Qafari (ed), Qom, 1405AH, Volume 2, Chapter 45, p. 483.

So when we have Grand Ayatullahs going against widely accepted hadiths, hadiths that have been accepted as sahih by many past Ayatullahs and a large number of present Ayatullahs, then what do we follow; the hadiths or the Ayatullah rejecting it, even if that means that the Ayatullah who has rejected it is the one you do Taqleed of.

When non usoolis say:

"I only do Taqleed of 12 imams / 14 ma'sooms " they are not unlike the Kharijites - (who claimed following is to Allah only.)

Imam Ali's (as) response to people like you was, "the slogan is right but the implication is false"

Following a marj'a will help us stay united. In my view, these ulema are a Gift of Allah to us. Mashallah to them for their devotion.

May Allah bless those muslims who sincerely and actually follow the Ahlulbayt (as) :)

So I'm like a Kharijite? Thanks. I will cherish this label forever. Are you assuming that my implication is false? I'm not against any Ayatullah and I seek advice from many of them, not just one. Your idea of Taqleed is different from mine.

As far as asking for advice goes, that's fine, I do that myself. But I'm not in Taqleed of any ghayr e Masoom.

"May Allah bless those muslims who sincerely and actually follow the Ahlulbayt (as) :)"

Was the word "actually" necessary?

• Veteran Member

So when we have Grand Ayatullahs going against widely accepted hadiths, hadiths that have been accepted as sahih by many past Ayatullahs and a large number of present Ayatullahs, then what do we follow; the hadiths or the Ayatullah rejecting it, even if that means that the Ayatullah who has rejected it is the one you do Taqleed of.

Stop making baseless accusationsng

• Advanced Member

Stop making baseless accusationsng

I'm kind of in a lose-lose situation. If I don't say any names, I'm making baseless accusations. If I say certain Ayatullahs names, then I'm insulting those Ayatullahs.

So how about you answer the hypothetical question I put forward, I'm sure your answer would help clear up confusion that people may have. :)

• 8 months later...
  • Veteran Member

I follow 14 marja's....because they are masoom

I know what you mean,

but the problem you will inevitably face is that the books

by which you 'follow' those "marjaa" were compiled by

people who were not ma'soomeen. So I won't say you

are wrong, or misguided, but you can very easily be.

I tend to cherry pick.

You shouldn't cherry pick, which implies you pick

what suits you. Rather you should look at all

opinions in a matter weigh the pros and cons

and choose the most informed one.

Take into consideration what the Qur'aan says

and what you think a ma'soom would have done.

Using logic and reason would aid.

Was-Salaam

Brother, progress occurs in jurisprudence when ahadith are evalutated at differents epocs and junctures.

Thus we may believe that Ayatullah Majlisi (Rah) made good strides at his time in ahadith,

but new information may become available to us where we find that a narrator is not as he

may seem in our times, does this mean we ignore any new findings, does it mean blindly accept?

Is this not tantamount to making; a classical scholar's opinions = ma'soom?

Ijtehad ensures progress. If it invalidates a previous point of view, it is not

always a bad thing.

Was-Salaam

• Advanced Member

Ayatollah Seyed Sadeq Shirazi because I think he has served our ummah greatly and the shirazis have a lot of channels publicizing about Islam, all of his family turned out to be Marjas, one of the children of Sayed Redha Shirazi that recently passed away wrote a book about his father and he's only 10 years old subhanallah,and basically I think they're a good family who stand up for what they believe is right! Also, when you see Ayatollah Shirazis face it's as if there's nur coming out of it and that's why I think they're a very special family but it doesn't matter who your Marja is as long as they're a good person.