Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Mother in-laws

Rate this topic

Amal A

• Advanced Member

Simple Tips On How To Get Along With Your Mother-In-Law

Source: http://www.mamashealth.com/inlaws/mother.asp

1. Talk to your spouse. If your spouse has no idea how you feel about your mother-in-law, they may put you in situations you'd rather not be in, like taking care of her while she's sick, or picking her up from the airport when she comes to visit. Tell your spouse kindly how you feel. State the facts, not your opinions. For example, if your mother-in-law tried to always prepares food with meat even though she knows you are a vegetarian, say so. Don't say, "She's trying to poison me!" Explain very clearly, without being rude and hurtful.

2. Discuss calmly. When talking to your spouse about their mother, avoid name calling and yelling.

3. Be understanding. Maybe your mother-in-law doesn't realise she is treating you mean or unfairly. Try to think about her actions from her perspective.

4. Spend some time with her and get to know her. Ask her to lunch, or a pedicure. Maybe the next time you're at her house, try to spend a few moments with her in the kitchen or sit near her and chat.

5. Communicate with your mother-in-law. Often, the best way to solve relationship tension is to figure out the source. Keep an open dialogue with your mother-in-law and you'll find you can avoid a lot of arguments, unnecessary tension and stress.

6. Be flexible and compromise. If you and your mother-in-law do not agree, consider a compromise. Your willingness to be flexible may surprise your mother-in-law and cause her to give in a little, too.

7. Never trash or criticise your mother-in-law to members of the family other than your partner. In the long run, this will only make matters worse.

8. Have equal friendships with the mother-in-law and father-in-law. Do not try to make friends with the father-in-law, and in the process ignore the mother-in-law. Treat both of them equally.

Good Day Irish!!!,

Ummm you having problems with the in-laws that is hard to believe!!! :angel:

LOL Esposa. Even Pitbull terriers would be frightened of Irish mother-in-laws :D . I'm glad my girlfriends mother lives reasonable far away, and I've programmed the ring tone of my phone to be the Dearth Vader like music when she is phoning :P

• Advanced Member

LOL Esposa. Even Pitbull terriers would be frightened of Irish mother-in-laws :D . I'm glad my girlfriends mother lives reasonable far away, and I've programmed the ring tone of my phone to be the Dearth Vader like music when she is phoning :P

LOLOL....Irish, that is a great tip for identifying the in-laws!!!! :Hijabi: Nah just invite the in-law for some darts or something... :P

LOLOL....Irish, that is a great tip for identifying the in-laws!!!! :Hijabi: Nah just invite the in-law for some darts or something... :P

Where abouts on my body should I place the target? :unsure:

I do miss my mother-in-law at times :cry: , but then I usually reload and try again :lol:

• Advanced Member

Where abouts on my body should I place the target? :unsure:

I do miss my mother-in-law at times :cry: , but then I usually reload and try again :lol:

LOLOLOLOL......that is wicked funny Irish I guess the key is to have respect for each other and if that is not possible then at least have the support of your spouse!!! If ALL else fails, put the broom behind the door trick should do it!!! :angel:

• Advanced Member

no1 is actually answring the question properly!!

i have a problem with my in-laws. i live with my Mil and brother in law, and its tough. my mother in law is a nice person who loves us all very much but i find it very hard to live with her, as she can be difficult and demands alot of attention care and likes controlling our lives. mmy bro in law is amazing but i have to be in hijab all the time.

i used to think the best thing to do is give her all my attention and spend all my days making sure she's okay but i realised this is wrong (a little too late) because giving her all my attention means neglecting myself and my husband - so best advise i can give is stop letting sharp words hurt you and just not caring too much what other people think. having said this im not coping very well at all and could do with some decent advise too ...

im terrified of upsetting n hurting her n im scared of her influence on my husband.. she tells him off all the time and it hurts me

• Advanced Member

If she calls you when you're with your husband or something just tell her you will tend to her after you are done with him. or get your husband to tell her you will go to her when you're done with him.

there isnt much real concrete advice to give. a wife can never get between her husband and his mother. so i would never even bother to try. that's no-man's-land right there. you have to keep patience and try your best to please both. what i advise is to make sure you have a strong relationship with your husband. do anything and everything it takes to strengthen your bond together. at the same time be respectful to your MIL and make sure your husband knows of your behaviour with your MIL. this way, there are no hard feelings amongst the 3 of you and you dont have to worry about your husband turning away from you.

• Advanced Member

Mother in-laws scare me :cry: -all of them. I remember my friend wanted to show me his moms picture LOL, and I completely panicked!-telling him noo, not to show her to me. It was so awkward and embarrassing-and I felt like the biggest clown. He gave me the weirdest look lol.