Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Doctor_Naqvi

Hijab -a burden

Rate this topic

Wow, and all this time I thought Islam was a complete religion, and it doesn't even confer to us on how our manners should be? :rolleyes:

You still haven't grasped what I am saying. I don't know if others do. There is a differences between universal good manners in theory and their expression in day-to-day communication which is dictated by the constraints of 'cultural appropriateness' and your understanding of good manners. Hijab of manners is relative and depends a lot on the perceptions of the society. Dude, it's not rocket science.

Yes, Islam is a complete religion. Nothing is left out that a human should know to be a good human.

(bismillah)

(salam)

At first, when I started wearing my hijab - I only wore it because I was told I should at the age of nine. My family wasn't very religious back then, so no one explained to me as to why I should be wearing it. Since I didn't understand hijab properly, and I had more of a materialistic view of life, I found it more of a burden.

But, a few years later, after some family issues, I was free to learn about Shi3i Islam, and with that I learned about and understood hijab.

Ever since then, I gained love for Allah and for his command of hijab.

I will NEVER ever consider it a burden. It's a blessing, really.

(Btw, I'm not saying that you have to have a non-materialistic view of life to love hijab. I just believe that the love for hijab comes from understanding it :) )

salam.gif

I wonder,i have openend this thread in sisters forum and for sisters only because i don't think so that brothers have anything to do with hijabhijabi.gif .So please brothers,visit your very own forum.Your forum will be honoured by your presence,as you hardly visit itw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif .

wasalam.gif

because i don't think so that brothers have anything to do with hijabhijabi.gif

Men are a huge reason why hejab is needed in the first place, so I think our input is necessary.

Calm, I think you missed the point. I said I believe in total [or full] hijab in that I believe in both the hijab of manners which I, perhaps inappropriately and vaguely, called 'inside hijab' and the hijab of dress which I called 'outside hijab'. The appropriateness of both forms of hijab is determined by the time and culture you happen to live in. For that matter, a long abaya that was suitable 200 years ago in Nejd may be unneeded on the bank of River Thames. A properly covered female in jeans walking down London's Oxford Street will be deemed hijabless in rural Pakistan. Same is the case with manners of speaking and body language. You have to adjust your hijab to the 'urf of the society. Which type of dress would God accept? Jeans with long overcoat in a London or Tehran street or a fully draped tent-like abaya in a market in Kandahar?

The command of God is clear, universal and timeless - and that is to observe hijab. How we do it is not something absolute and set up for us, neither dress code nor manners, and whether or not women should hide every single hair on their heads or perhaps their faces too?

I find it hard to believe that a woman who does not cover hair is a non-hijabi, given that she upholds the spirit of hijab and so far as everything else is in order.

No Marbles, I have not missed your point however I disagree with it. According to your theory then if one day (in zillion years), the "urf" would be to walk outside fully nude (now don't accuse me that I'm saying non hijabis equal nude woman NO) so this one day in many years comes that it is fully acceptable and normal to walk naken, so based on what you said we can say that at that time I'm talking about a woman wearing a bikini would be considered hijabi? Because the rest are completely nude and that has become "urf" in Oxford? Nah, it does not work like that. The meaning of hijaab is not diffiult to understand and will not change according to "urf" that does not mean that abaya is a must, or jeans are forbidden, hijab just means to act accordingly with islamic manners (inside hijab) and to dress in a way that does not shape the woman's body and to cover her hair. She can wear jeans if she wants as long as it is loose so it does not shape your tighs for example or she can wear abaya if it's easier for her. No one is saying wearing a abaya is hijab wearing jeans is being a low (excuse my language). The definition of hijab remains the same at all times, and has not to do with urf of New York or London or Saudia Arabia. I think you can't disagree with the above.

No Marbles, I have not missed your point however I disagree with it. According to your theory then if one day (in zillion years), the "urf" would be to walk outside fully nude (now don't accuse me that I'm saying non hijabis equal nude woman NO) so this one day in many years comes that it is fully acceptable and normal to walk naken, so based on what you said we can say that at that time I'm talking about a woman wearing a bikini would be considered hijabi? Because the rest are completely nude and that has become "urf" in Oxford? Nah, it does not work like that. The meaning of hijaab is not diffiult to understand and will not change according to "urf" that does not mean that abaya is a must, or jeans are forbidden, hijab just means to act accordingly with islamic manners (inside hijab) and to dress in a way that does not shape the woman's body and to cover her hair. She can wear jeans if she wants as long as it is loose so it does not shape your tighs for example or she can wear abaya if it's easier for her. No one is saying wearing a abaya is hijab wearing jeans is being a low (excuse my language). The definition of hijab remains the same at all times, and has not to do with urf of New York or London or Saudia Arabia. I think you can't disagree with the above.

The very observation that a properly covered woman in loose jeans, long overcoat etc who is considered among Muslims of that society to be observing proper hijab will be deemed hijabless and get stern scolding for wearing the same dress somewhere else in the East. . .means that the perception of 'appropriate hijab' for women depends on the 'urf and changes from society to society even if all requirements of an Islamic hijab are observed.

Hijab, as you have said, is to dress in a way that does not show the shape of the body and its definition would never change. Both jeans/overcoat and abaya fit the definition. Your interpretation of 'urf of naked women in the streets won't make a woman in a bikini hijabi. The 'urf of hijab does not work that way. This is simply because bikinis cannot hide the shape of body regardless of the way women dress in that society.

I still don't understand how does covering hair fits the definition of physical hijab. How about covering the face? I think covering of both hair and face has come to us through Arab culture as a kind of precaution to the proper hijab. I don't know. Being a guy, I'd suggest that if women want to take precautionary measures then they should cover their faces not hair. Men are nowhere nearly attracted to hair as much as they are attracted to faces.

Edited by Marbles

I don't know. Being a guy, I'd suggest that if women want to take precautionary measures then they should cover their faces not hair. Men are nowhere nearly attracted to hair as much as they are attracted to faces.

It's God commands to cover the hair whether the Arabs liked to add this to their culture or not. It's God's laws that allows the face to be exposed whether Arabs like it or not. You're confusing what the cultures added as part of idendtity and what has nothing to do with cultures. Hijab is the to cover the hair and the body's shape. The face is not to be covered for several reasons some of which could be that you identify a person by their face not their hair, so showing the hair and covering the face does not make sense. God's allowed the minimum of showing which is the face, and some men feel they get too attracted to a woman's face they should lower their gaze. As much as the female body is attractive is a cetain way, the ahir is too. Now look at two pictures of the same person if possible, one wrapped with hijab(covering the hair is included) and one picture of a female with her hair showing. Are they equally attractive? And in the same way of attraction? I think not, one thing I know is that a hijabi look like a two different persons with hijab(hair covered)and when without hijab. Hair is half the beauty as they say. So it's all three important for hijab, properly covering the body (with whatever material: jeans, abaya, cotton etc), covering the hair, acting Islamically.

The very observation that a properly covered woman in loose jeans, long overcoat etc who is considered among Muslims of that society to be observing proper hijab will be deemed hijabless and get stern scolding for wearing the same dress somewhere else in the East.

Who cares what the East interpret it? I'm talking Islam wise here. And hence, I'm strictly saying "urf" has nothing to do with the definition of Hijab. In the city I live right now, the "urf" of hijaab is to wear the tighest clothe ever, that shows the shape of every bit of the body, plus a few kilos of make up on the face, and a scarf to hide the hair but the neck is showing. Really that is the "urf" in where I am, does that mean at this place and time, this is considered Hijab Islamically? Of course NOT.

Salaam,

not a burden WHATSOEVER, i LOVE wearing it, its much better than not wearing it, theres many people who consider wearing hijab, prayer, fasting, etc. as burden and dont love to do it, one reason, could be because attachment to world (as one can not taste the sweeteness of prayer as long as they are attached to the world), or perhaps other reasons, but even if someone doesnt like to do it, they should, and they should ask Allah to make them love what he loves and hate what he hates.

wasalam

well. i consider it an order from GOD, so i do it.. a burden.. maybe.. but it is as burden as Prayer, or Fasting... or Hajj.. i mean we do things, deprive ourselves from things for the sake of following GOD

so even if sometimes i felt that it would have been easier without it, i remember GOD's rewards ... and his favours upon us.

I agree with you, although i think there is a difference between something being a burden and something being hard. Is hijab hard? yes, but it is one of my jihad for the sake of Allah azza wa jal... is prayer hard? sometimes it takes alot of strenght to turn down things you know will keep you from this obligation... i do think it is hard at times, but i LOVE it and am greatful for it.

I have gone to middle east... no Arab stared me or any woman.. those who are caught with gazing are these south asian trash...

Agreed. Pakistani men are the most disgusting, pervy creatures I have ever come across. They don't even try to hide it, even if a girl is standing with her father. They have no shame.

Agreed. Pakistani men are the most disgusting, pervy creatures I have ever come across. They don't even try to hide it, even if a girl is standing with her father. They have no shame.

1000000+ Agreed!! They have no life i swear.... no wonder why pakistan is suffering the most currently...