Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Men Superior to Women?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam Alakum

Could it be because men are the providers for the women. For example the husband is to provide his wife with all the needs i.e. shelter, food, and other needs that come along. I personally can't see how it could be a bad thing if it is Allah (swt) who stated it, the verse can have many meanings and we are limited (knowledge wise). I don't really think the verse gives the man "power" to control the women like some may see it, I believe it wouldnt be fair if they women doesnt have a say in her life so to say. Maybe thats why she looked at the verse in a negative way?

I am sure the scholars have already discussed it...

Allah ya3lam

Wasalam

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think using the word "equal" is too narrow and limiting to describe men and women in comaprison to each other - but - no Muslim is superior to another. All Muslims are judged only on the basis of t

I had this debate with a 'so-called Muslim girl' (as she put it) about why she has doubts about Islam. I had no problem refuting her points, but the one issue that was a source of contention was the

this is not a discussion of female nature it is about divorce and family law

Salam Alakum

Could it be because men are the providers for the women. For example the husband is to provide his wife with all the needs i.e. shelter, food, and other needs that come along. I personally can't see how it could be a bad thing if it is Allah (swt) who stated it, the verse can have many meanings and we are limited (knowledge wise). I don't really think the verse gives the man "power" to control the women like some may see it, I believe it wouldnt be fair if they women doesnt have a say in her life so to say. Maybe thats why she looked at the verse in a negative way?

I am sure the scholars have already discussed it...

Allah ya3lam

Wasalam

Agreed.

However, I beleive men have deficencies that may not be a deficeceincy for a woman..and vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Final Proof

You know that women have been oppressed from old ages not men.If women were superior to men in intellect or strength than they would have oppressed men.Opression on women is the biggest proof that they are physically and mentally weak than men.

Salaam

The most pious of men were the Imams and they are referred to as Mazloom or oppressed.It is better in the eyes of Allah to be oppressed than be an oppressor.Men and women have different roles.Allah has women with kindness,grace and jamaal,while men are endowed with jalaal.You cannot compare a ladle with a fork. Men and women have complementing roles in life.

Allah knows best.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I'd like to point out that 45 out of the 46 human chromosomes are the same between men and women. The male brain contains about 100 billion neurons with about 10000 connections each. The female brain contains about 100 billion neurons with about 10000 connections each. The male cerebral cortex contains about 11 billion neurons with about 10000 connections each. The female cerebral cortex contains about 11 billion neurons with about 10000 connections each. By comparison the cerebral cortex of a cat contains 300 million neurons.

Let's not overestimate the differences between men and women.

--------------------

Education is key as a holistic, transparent, dialog-oriented process --Queen Rania Al Abdullah

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people --Eleanor Roosevelt

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

wel most of the members on here who quoted of men being superior then women, have referenced to the quran and even hadiths and general knowledge, along side with history and observation.

women have not provided a hadith or quran to show their superiorty/equality from men, rather even sunni hadiths show how women are less superior

i don't need to conclude this, the replies/anwers show the answer.

• Advanced Member

I think holy texts should not be the only source of wisdom, although they do certainly very important messages helping humanity to act more wisely. Now science is another important source of wisdom, otherwise there would be no fertilizers, ambulance cars and antibiotics. Most of us would not be alive right now having this debate on shiachat.com - and the findings of biology are very clear: men are not superior to women. In fact, on average life expectancy of women is higher than that of men. Science tells us that men and women are equal. A wonderful example is Queen Rania Al Abdullah.

--------------------------

Education is key as a holistic, transparent, dialog-oriented process --Queen Rania Al Abdullah

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people --Eleanor Roosevelt

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Put simply, as Rasool Allah said in his last sermon, no gender has superiority over the other.

I would say, however is that women have been oppressed, so when it comes to these discussions, I side with women since their rights have not been understood today.

I would like to quote a Hadith e Qudsi “(I) would not have created the Heavens if I had not created you (Muhammed (pbuh)) and if I had not created Ali (as) ( I ) would not have created you (pbuh) and if I had not created Fatima (sa) ( I ) would not have created both of you (Muhammed (pbuh) and Ali (as)).”

• 1 month later...
  • Basic Members

Well what does the holy Quran say about status? I personally think both men and women are equal. The only people who don't agree are the extremist like Taliban who don't allow girls to get educated. I also heard that girls argent allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia?

The Quran is very clear about the two genders, each has it's role, neither better nor worse than another. It is the west and those that want to follow

the western thinking which is only a 100 plus years old, continue to look for equality. Women in the US have only been allowed to vote in the past

few decades, yes they seem to lead the world on female equaliy and what is right. We blindly follow without learning what our Quran has said

and Islam has promoted mother at the same level as prophets!

• Basic Members

I think it’s important for men and women to understand that it’s not so much about superiority and inferiority but about ROLES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND RIGHTS. I heard Maulana Mehboob Mehdi Najafi of Chicago touch on these points briefly in a majlis I once attended. He mentioned how in a relationship whether it be father/son, brother/sister, husband/wife, etc. one person's rights are the other's responsibilities and vice versa. It is important to think more about your responsibilities than about your rights which is what they concentrate on in the Western world- women's rights, animals’ rights, etc. etc. In any relationship if both parties focus on their responsibilities (to the other party) rather than their rights or what they think they are owed or deserve then that relationship has a very high probability of being successful.

What I took personally from his speech and my own experiences is that if we were to give the superiority title to one gender over the other then it would definitely have to go to the women. Why? Because the more responsibilities we have the more important we are. Isn't that the way it works in our real lives? Our bosses, middle and upper management, get paid more, have nice offices, more perks, because they have more responsibilities then us. As we take on more responsibilities we also reap more rewards in the form of raises and bonuses, praise and recognition, and perhaps a new title, etc. Women are in charge of the most important aspect of Islam- the upbringing of the child. Women will physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually provide nourishment and sustenance for the child so that he/she may be in the followers, the helpers, the army of Imam Mahdi (atf). And this is the ultimate goal of every follower of Ali (as), the reason for us existing. Also, Allah (swt) has thought women worthy of carrying a child in her womb for nine months and bringing that child into the world which both entail the strength and courage to face an immense amount and extreme degree of physical pain. The women has also been given a large amount, many would argue, the single most important attribute for a momin to possess- Patience; so that she may endure the trials and tribulations associated with child birth and the upbringing “Tarbiat” of the child.

It is important to state at this point that a woman should feel proud- for the lack of a better word in English vocabulary- for her status in Islam. She should not feel burdened by her responsibilities but instead feel privileged for the roles and responsibilities that Allah has given her.

• Advanced Member

I think it’s important for men and women to understand that it’s not so much about superiority and inferiority but about ROLES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND RIGHTS. I heard Maulana Mehboob Mehdi Najafi of Chicago touch on these points briefly in a majlis I once attended. He mentioned how in a relationship whether it be father/son, brother/sister, husband/wife, etc. one person's rights are the other's responsibilities and vice versa. It is important to think more about your responsibilities than about your rights which is what they concentrate on in the Western world- women's rights, animals’ rights, etc. etc. In any relationship if both parties focus on their responsibilities (to the other party) rather than their rights or what they think they are owed or deserve then that relationship has a very high probability of being successful.

What I took personally from his speech and my own experiences is that if we were to give the superiority title to one gender over the other then it would definitely have to go to the women. Why? Because the more responsibilities we have the more important we are. Isn't that the way it works in our real lives? Our bosses, middle and upper management, get paid more, have nice offices, more perks, because they have more responsibilities then us. As we take on more responsibilities we also reap more rewards in the form of raises and bonuses, praise and recognition, and perhaps a new title, etc. Women are in charge of the most important aspect of Islam- the upbringing of the child. Women will physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually provide nourishment and sustenance for the child so that he/she may be in the followers, the helpers, the army of Imam Mahdi (atf). And this is the ultimate goal of every follower of Ali (as), the reason for us existing. Also, Allah (swt) has thought women worthy of carrying a child in her womb for nine months and bringing that child into the world which both entail the strength and courage to face an immense amount and extreme degree of physical pain. The women has also been given a large amount, many would argue, the single most important attribute for a momin to possess- Patience; so that she may endure the trials and tribulations associated with child birth and the upbringing “Tarbiat” of the child.

It is important to state at this point that a woman should feel proud- for the lack of a better word in English vocabulary- for her status in Islam. She should not feel burdened by her responsibilities but instead feel privileged for the roles and responsibilities that Allah has given her.

You have a great point. This reminds me of my comment in the General Discuusion room under the topic : Taqleed to a Mujtahed?".

Pleae, when you het a chance, go in the General Discussion room under the Topic of: "Taqleed to a Mujtahed?" and read my comment. Thank you!

Ya Ali Madad!

• Veteran Member

Of course women aren't equal to men, nor are men equal to women. Both have unique roles and purposes that the other can't fulfil. You shouldn't try to compare a rose to a jasmine, both have different looks,smells,etc by are equally beautiful in their own ways

• Advanced Member

Final Proof

You know that women have been oppressed from old ages not men.If women were superior to men in intellect or strength than they would have oppressed men.Opression on women is the biggest proof that they are physically and mentally weak than men.

Salam,

I'm not sure how this qualifies as "proof" by any standards of logic. While it may support the idea that "men are superior to women", it certainly does NOT prove it. In other words, this argument alone is NOT sufficient to conclude that men are in fact superior.

Actually, the argument of historical oppression can easily be used to show that women are superior to men! Since men have oppressed women on the basis of their sexuality, men are guilty (historically) of a clear sin, and that is exploiting those who are in a position of less power. This exploitation is more proof that men are more likely (statistically speaking) of exploiting power. How can a more fallible creature be seen as superior to the one he oppresses and exploits? If Allah saw those more powerful and physically mighty as superior, then why aren't we all body building and on steroids trying to look like Arnold? By that standard, Israeli soldiers are superior to Palestinians in Gaza. To slightly modify what you said "If Palestinians were superior to Israelis in intellect or strength than they would have oppressed Israelis." "If Hussein (as) were Superior to Yazid in intellect or strength than He would have oppressed the army of Yazid". "If Iraqis were superior to Americans in intellect or strength than they would have oppressed Americans".

"If Africans were superior to Europeans in intellect or strength than they would have oppressed Europeans"...

Your argument (of historical oppression) is suggesting that Israelis are superior in "intellect or strength" to Palestinians, and so on, and the self-evident satire shows how invalid the logic of the argument is.

This quote is (with all due respect) a bad attempt to prove that men are superior.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Put simply, as Rasool Allah said in his last sermon, no gender has superiority over the other.

I would say, however is that women have been oppressed, so when it comes to these discussions, I side with women since their rights have not been understood today.

I would like to quote a Hadith e Qudsi “(I) would not have created the Heavens if I had not created you (Muhammed (pbuh)) and if I had not created Ali (as) ( I ) would not have created you (pbuh) and if I had not created Fatima (sa) ( I ) would not have created both of you (Muhammed (pbuh) and Ali (as)).”

I think I share your position entirely. I feel like the mere fact that "gender-superiority" is still being discussed today is an indication that there still is a major problem in the understanding of equality, rights, freedom, responsibilities and roles. And I think the first step for women to be perceived as equal is for women to realize that they are equal. The thing with cultural awakening is that one society cannot eat from the fruits of another society's awakening, so until Muslim women begin to fight for the recognition that they are equal (which they are by all means), they cannot simply adapt the western style understanding of equality (which is itself hasty since it is based on false concepts of gender roles and responsibilities), as Muslim women did not themselves go through the necessary social and cultural development.

While I was not a follower of Sayyed Fadlallah (ra), I am very fond of his positions on women's rights and the enhancement of their role in all areas of society.

• Advanced Member

There is no such thing as equal in Islam. The better word is "justice". Men and women have their own justice. So rather than use these terms, equal, superior, weaker etc. just use justice. Because justice describes how men and women are different, and how each one has his/her own roles.

• Advanced Member

I don't know if my message went through or not, but they shouldn't be judged on equality, superiority, or weakness. They should be judged on justice, Islam is a religion of justice, not equality. Men and women have different justices assigned to them. Physical strength can be a basic justice assigned to men, and nurturing behavior more so for women. But these justices range greatly, and perhaps the hadiths, and other books can help us understand more, as well as common sense.

• Advanced Member

Physical strength can be a basic justice assigned to men, and nurturing behavior more so for women. But these justices range greatly, and perhaps the hadiths, and other books can help us understand more, as well as common sense.

I think you've misused the word "justice" in place of "physical characteristic", or perhaps "advantage". If it is true that men have an advantage in physical strength, this is completely irrelevant of "justice". Justice is the concept of moral righteousness, accountability of one's actions, assumption of one's responsibilities, implementation of legal ruling, etc... and is completely irrelevant of the physical advantages that one may or may not have been gifted with. I'm not sure how one could make reference to the word "justice" and state that it is isolated from equality. That is the first fallacy leading to unjust ideologies, namely assuming that people are NOT equal, and thus basing ideas and concepts of justice on the idea of inequality. That is how people end up being held to different standards under the same law!

When an Israeli court tries a Palestinian civilian for alleged crimes, isn't it safe to say that this Palestinian individual is most likely mistreated, misrepresented and held to a double standard as a result of the Israeli Court's view that "Arab Israelis" are not equal to "Israeli Jews"? It is from the idea of inequality that this unjust treatment of citizens stems.

While men and women are not physically identical (which hopefully we're all old enough to agree on :), and while we know that the endocrine differences (higher testoserone levels in Men, and so on) are the cause of Men's stronger and more muscuar build, this has absolutely NO relevance to the two genders being equal. What is Haram for a man, is Haram for a woman and vice versa...

Look up the political and/or philosophical meaning of the word "equal" and you will see that it has nothing to do with differences in physical characteristics...

Men and women are equal, and any suggestion otherwise is a step down a slippery slope that leads to injustice and oppression on the basis if gender, which is no different in essence to discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or even religious affiliation!

Of all people, Shi'at Ahlul Bayt should be the most cautious not to make claims that lead to any type of oppression, since it has been the enemy we have been facing for over 1400 years.

• Advanced Member

You are way off:

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1105

Here's a good link, that talks about, what I really mean.You think of the definition of justice applied to the secular world, look at the link, and see how justice is applied in the Islamic world, and how equality is inappropriate to bring up in most Islamic situations, and the word justice better addresses these situations.

• Advanced Member

Men are the head and leader of the family. A wife has to obey the husband. Allah if allowed prostration to any other than he would have told wife to prostate before husband. If this is not followed strictly than we would have a very unstable family. Wife dictates and becomes the leader than a husband becomes worse than a gigoloo. The effect goes directly to the children whose basis for finding solution on life problems turns from wisdom to emotional basis.

• Basic Members

I want to say few things to all of u. First of all, use the forums to spread knowledge, not to fight because i learned from life that words dont represent the mentality of people. If u really think that men and women are equal then show it with ur attitude, i have seen many men who are great feminist in discussions but in practical life, they never consider thier own wife or daughter as an equal human being. I am a working woman and i almost daily observed this mentality of men about women. If you believe in equality of women, start giving them thier rights and respect they deserve, We ask for nothing more than that.

As far as those people who think men are superior I want to ask one basic thing, why is the heaven put under the feet of mother and not a father ? If a women is physically weaker than men , why does the responsibility of giving birth to children is given to her ? In normal life u always give the task to a person who is competent enough to undertake it and not to a weaker person.

And if u think that women are emotionally weaker than men, then just tell me how many of u have never cried in front of a woman, including ur mother & wife ? The point is that women are more transparent in expressing their emotions then men, it doesnt mean that they r weaker.

And last bit, my own point of view is that comparison is made between similar things and not between dissimilar things, Men and women are totally different from each other and this is the beauty of life, u cannot take another person's right hand in ur right hand to walk together. I hope u understand what i'm trying to say........

• Basic Members

like u said women n men are different we both are superior in are own way but comparin or saying whose superior or whatever makes no sense coz its like comparing a table and a chair both with different purposes... but something thats been flying in my mind is when we refer to god we refer to god as he, never she.. why is that, maybe coz we are superior lol???

• Advanced Member

Men and women are equal, but have different rights and responsibilities. The West takes those differences in rights and responsibilities and uses this to say that Islam is oppressive of woman. Additionally, the conduct of Muslims (e.g. the Taliban) at times oppresses women.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Men are mentally superior to women in general.

-If we see the history of battlefields then we will find thousands of famous warriors but more than most of them are men.

-If we see the history of famous philosophers they will also be men and not women.

-If we see the list of famous artists we wont find even 10% women who are as much famous as men.

-If we see list of philosophers there wont be any women there,all are men.

-Even in this modern age when specially western countries educate women in the same way they educate men,we don't see any women scientists as much famous as men.

Humans are less powerful than lions,tigers and other wild animals but we can make their survival difficult although they are physically more strong than us.We can oppress them but they cannot oppress us...Why??....Because its not the physical power that matters,its the mental power that matters....Our history tells that men oppressed women,If someone says that women were oppressed because they were physically weaker then men then he is wrong,the truth is that in general women are mentally weaker than men.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

OK lets think that you are right.Now anyone on this forum can use their own intellect to understand the matter that men are superior to women(in terms of qualities,im not talking about rights) by seeing history.

First Proof(logical)

Have you ever seen in history that any women became a legendary philosopher?Socrates,Plato,Aristotle,Xenocrates were all men.Now you may say that at that time women were opressed and were not having freedom.I will say that the opression of women itself is a proof that women are mentally and physically weak.If they would have been mentally or physically strong than they would have freed themselves from men's opression.

This prooves that men are intellectually superior to women.

Second proof(Islamic)

Allah chose Hazrat Adam(a.s) as khalifa not Hazrat Hawa(a.s).And Allah has said in Quran that HE taught Hazrat Adam(a.s) the words not Hazrat Hawa(a.s) which shows that man has more intellect.No Prophet was a women.

Thus men are superior to women in terms of physical and mental strength(im not talking about rights)

Final Proof

You know that women have been oppressed from old ages not men.If women were superior to men in intellect or strength than they would have oppressed men.Opression on women is the biggest proof that they are physically and mentally weak than men.(this is also stated above)

Question for shaheen

what are you actually trying to ask?Do you want to discuss whether men are superior to women in terms of intellect and bodily power?(I have given the answer above)

Or do you want to discuss that is it true that men have more rights than women in islam?(If you are thinking about rights then its a different issue and you should know islamic fiqh to discuss this matter)

thankyou.

Firstly, you drastically need to revise your understanding of 'proof'. I believe someone has already addressed this, but i found this post so asinine that i felt compelled to add my voice of opposition.

Are you seriously suggesting that oppressed people deserve and are oppressed because of some inherent deficiency in their intelligence capabilties or physical prowess? would you say that to the face of a black person?

most nations have been subjected to suppression from others at one time or another and many free themselves of it (as women have and continue and shall continue to do) and contribute as much as any oppressive force may have. There have been many female scientists an intellectuals who's works have been passed off as a mans because of the ignorance and prejudice of people such as yourself. Incidentally, i have seen many a man physcially intimidated by women (not that i approve of such behaviour in either gender). When women are correctly motivated they not only out-wit their male peers, but they can quite literally out-punch them too. I would also like to point out that it is precisely the WEAKNESS of men and their ego's that creates systems of oppression. Your ego is perhaps your biggest challenge and men routinely fail that challenge in this regard, It can be argued that the oppression of women (and other men/creatures/environments) is proof of mans inadequacy and weakness.

P.S re. Adam, first doesnt equal more superior, it just means first, people usually make their mistakes on the first attempt and the second is an improvement, it wouldnt surprise me if this was the case with man/woman creation.

I am not a Muslim, my partner is and he has told me enough for me to know that Fatima is not only the most highly revered, but even the prophet himself called her his mother, how a Shia muslim could dismiss this so readily is some what shocking.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

Salaamooalaykom,

First and foremost, I am a revert female Muslim. Al hamdulilah. I am well educated, am a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a grandaughter, a niece, a daughter in law etc etc. Before converting I spent 1 year intensely researching Islam. And believe me, I would NEVER ever have willing entered into a religion that in its essence oppresses women or places women lower or inferior or less equal to men. And my research has continued for 7 years.

I think people, myself included, often get lost in vocabulary and labels. And the brother/sister who opened the discussion is very wise to use the word equivilent. Some of the responses in this forum have deeply saddened and disappointed me, especially seeing as some of them come from seemingly intelligent and pious brothers and sisters. I have often defended Islam, in terms of women's rights/status, against athiests, Christians, Hindus etc. But never thought I would have to defend here on Shia chat.

Please brothers and sisters think before you go around saying that, "men are superior to women, women's oppression is their own fault, women are weak, women are evil be careful of them etc". And please if you are going to quote a hadith/ the Holy Koran, which could potenially reach thousands of people, make sure you understand it contextually. This wesite could attract people to Islam, but after reading this forum, if I were thinking about converting to Islam, I certainly wouldn't. And this issue is an issue that is the deciding factor for many who are contemplating Islam as a religion.

The Holy Koran allows us to use our brains and logic on ambigious topics. Reflection, research and seeking knowledge is actually a recommended act. Let's therefore look logically at the point in question. Allah (swa) is the MOST FAIR. This is why we find in Najol Balaga the hadith, “Your supremacy over others is in proportion to the extent of your knowledge and wisdom”. This is a widely accepted and authentic hadith. Interestingly, not all of the Najol Balaga is authentic. Not all shia references are 100% authentic. I am talking as a shia here. Ahadith is a science which is taken very seriously, so understand that quotation of hadith is a serious issue also.

So, what makes an individual superior/better/weaker/inferior (whatever term is deemed most appropriate) is his knowledge and wisdom. Not their, race, tribe, wealth, health and certainly NOT their gender. And it does not take a genius to work this out.

Come on brothers and sisters, reflect on this issue. Is your mother, or sister or daughter or wife deficient/weaker/inferior based SOLEY on the fact that they are female?????? NO. What separates us, as individual Muslims/believers is our faith. Allah will not ask us on the day of judgement what gender we were. We will be asked about our deeds. And out deeds are not influenced by our gender.

I will finish up by quoting some of my husband's words, quite funny, but so true:

“I believe that men and women are not equal in responsibilities: Islamically, I have to work, provide financially, emotionally, spiritually for my wife and family. I have to cook, clean, protect, educate and even have to buy my wife a golden ring if I can and if she desires it. She can demand money for breast feeding my daughter, she has a right to an allowance if I can provide her one, and she does not have to tell me on what she spends it. I am obliged to do all of these things! (obviously we share these tasks lol, but in terms of Fiq, it's all on me). Oh AND she works and can keep all her money to herself. And what does she have to do for me? There is only one obligation upon her and it is enjoyed. To me it seems that Allah (swa) holds a special place for women. I love my sisters, wife, daughter dearly. and my mother is my world. I have the utmost respect for women as our Prophet Mohammad has commanded us to have:

The Holy Prophet said: Only great people respect women and only vile people disrespect women.

Nahj-ul Fasahah, Page 318

If you could witness a woman survive childbirth you would not call her weak. This is the physically most demanding and painful experience known to mankind. Talk of inferiority/weakness of women is nothing more than an insult to our precious jewels.”

Come on people, men are NOT superior/better to women. Use your logic and stop hurting people and deterring people from Islam. Is any brother who has quoted in this forum brave enough to say they are superior to Sayda Fatima a Zahra (asws) is anyway shape or form? No! Are you brave enough to say you are superior to your own Mother, I don't think so.

Apologies in advance for any offence caused. I only want to portray Islam as the beautiful religion it is. Finally, Islam is perfect, Muslims are not.

Salaam.

• Basic Members

(bismillah)

(salam),

@ Shia9c

Yes they aren't allowed to drive here in KSA. Though they do go around in taxis. Good too, because women here wear veils (naqaab), they wouldn't be able to see anything, especially at night. Their fathers/husbands, forbid them to go around outside without veils.

@ Shaheen

Women are NOT equal to men (in religious matter) and I'm not an extremist Taliban. :)

Women have three deficiencies, in religous matters, not according to ME but according to Imam Ali (as) :

' O' ye peoples! Women are deficient in Faith, deficient in shares and deficient in intelligence. As regards the deficiency in their Faith, it is their abstention from prayers and fasting during their menstrual period. As regards deficiency in their intelligence it is because the evidence of two women is equal to that of one man. As for the deficiency of their shares that is because of their share in inheritance being half of men. So beware of the evils of women. Be on your guard even from those of them who are (reportedly) good. Do not obey them even in good things so that they may not attract you to evils. ' Nahjul Balagha, SERMON - 80

http://www.al-islam.org/nahj/ (refer to SERMON - 80)

I hope your question is answered, IF you believe in the truth of Peak of Eloquence. :)

(wasalam)

Basim Ali Jafri

Half of that narration was said by the Prophet :saw: womnen are deficient in deen because they can't pray and fast on their menses, and the evidence bit. The rest is just shocking.

• Advanced Member

I wouldn't use the word superior. I would just say they have different justices (assigned elements to them, that are unique to themselves). In other words, gender differences. Women are more superior at being nurturing or this element of healing. Men are more strength based, they can use their physical prowess.

• Basic Members

Brothers and Sisters in Islam we really have to know and understand what Allah (swt) is trying to tell us in quaran. Allah tells us this in Qur'an that men and women are equal the only way we are better in the Eyes of Allah is through piety. Now the second thing is this Allah has given us roles to full fil. My Lord tells me as a male I have a duty if I full fill my duty as that man since he has given me more strength then my wife because he has given me the ability to work and also be the protector. Let's look and examine sura Nisa verse 34, because first of all my Lord tells me I first have to be a certain kind of muslim. What type of muslim do I have to be Allah syas: The Qur'an tells me this Nisa verse 34:For Muslim men and women― for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves) for men and women who guard their chastity and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise― for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward.

The next thing my Lord tells me since I'm a married man I have to be living up to this:: Surah Nisa verse 35: Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their, beds (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance): for Allah is Most High, Great (above you all).

Translation : Eng-Yusuf Ali These 2 verses are very powerful. I'm am no way superior to my wife she is my mate and equal, but my Lord could raise my statue higher. For example Allah tells us we can come nearer to him than the angles. But no way is Man superior to angels. It depends on each person ability to submit ones will and to live up to our responsibilities.

• Advanced Member

According to Islam, men are indeed superior to women. There is unanimous consensus among our classical scholars that women are subservient to men due to our weakness in intelligence and judgment. Which is why throughout Islamic history women have not been allowed to be judges or rulers (and this is in conformance with the rulings of our own Shia scholars).

For example, take a look at this hadith by Imam Ali [as]:

305 / 6

- ÍÏËäÇ Úáí Èä ÃÍãÏ Èä ÚÈÏ Çááå Èä ÃÍãÏ Èä ÃÈí ÚÈÏ Çááå ÇáÈÑÞí (ÑÍãå Çááå)¡ ÞÇá: ÍÏËäí ÃÈí¡ Úä ÌÏå ÃÍãÏ Èä ÃÈí ÚÈÏ Çááå¡ Úä ÃÈíå¡ Úä ãÍãÏ

ÇÈä ÃÈí ÚãíÑ¡ Úä ÛíÑ æÇÍÏ¡ Úä ÇáÕÇÏÞ ÌÚÝÑ Èä ãÍãÏ¡ Úä ÃÈíå¡ Úä ÂÈÇÆå (Úáíåã ÇáÓáÇã)¡ ÞÇá: ÔßÇ ÑÌá ãä ÃÕÍÇÈ ÃãíÑ ÇáãÄãäíä (Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã) äÓÇÁå¡ ÝÞÇã (Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã) ÎØíÈÇ¡ ÝÞÇá: ãÚÇÔÑ ÇáäÇÓ¡ áÇ ÊØíÚæ ÇáäÓÇÁ Úáì ÍÇá¡ æáÇ ÊÃãäæåä Úáì ãÇá¡ æáÇ ÊÐÑæåä íÏÈÑä ÃãÑ ÇáÚíÇá¡ ÝÅäåä Åä ÊÑßä æãÇ ÃÑÏä ÃæÑÏä ÇáãåÇáß¡ æÚÏæä ÃãÑ ÇáãÇáß¡ ÝÅäÇ æÌÏäÇåä áÇ æÑÚ áåä ÚäÏ ÍÇÌÊåä¡ æáÇ ÕÈÑ áåä ÚäÏ ÔåæÊåä¡ ÇáÈÐÎ áåä áÇÒã æÅä ßÈÑä¡ æÇáÚÌÈ Èåä áÇ ÍÞ æÅä ÚÌÒä¡ áÇ íÔßÑä ÇáßËíÑ ÅÐÇ ãäÚä ÇáÞáíá¡ íäÓíä ÇáÎíÑ æíÍÝÙä ÇáÔÑ¡ íÊåÇÝÊä ÈÇáÈåÊÇä¡ æíÊãÇÏíä ÈÇáØÛíÇä¡ æíÊÕÏíä ááÔíØÇä¡ ÝÏÇÑæåä Úáì ßá ÍÇá¡ æÃÍÓäæÇ áåä ÇáãÞÇá¡ áÚáåä íÍÓä ÇáÝÚÇá

http://www.yasoob.com/books/htm1/m012/10/no1000.html

Taken from al-Amali of Shaykh Saduq , pg 274. Also present in his Ilal-ush-Sharaye

Translation: Narrated to us Ali bin Ahmad bin Abdullah bin Ahmad bin Abi Abdillah al-Barqi: Narrated my father, from his grandfather Ahmad bin Abi Abdillah, from his father, from Muhammad bin Abi Omair, from more than one person from the Truthful Ja'far bin Muhammad from his father, from his forefathers, peace be on them, said:

One of the companions of Amirul-mu'mineen [as] complained to him about his women.

He [imam Ali as] thus stood to address the public saying:

O people, obey not the women in any case, nor trust them with money, nor let them be in charge of the children, for if they are left to do what pleases them, they will lead (you) to troubles and transgress the rights of the lords. We found them to be unhesitating when they are in need, impatient when their (sexual) lust is at peak, wasteful spending is part of them even if they are old, and self-admiration follows them even at their senior age. They don't appreciate the plenty (that they possess) when they are prevented (from acquiring) the little. They forget the good and recall the bad. They rush to falsehood, insist on arrogance and follow Satan. So deal with them in any case, address them well that their deeds be well (as a result).

According to Ayatullah Sadeq Rouhani, this hadith is Sahih:

Fiqh al-Sadiq, vol. 25, page 23:

æÕÍíÍ ÇÈä ÓäÇä Úäå - Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã - Ýí ÍÏíË¡ ÞÇá Úáí - Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã -: " ãÚÇÔÑ ÇáäÇÓ áÇ ÊØíÚæÇ ÇáäÓÇÁ Úáì ÍÇá æáÇ ÊÃãäæåä Úáì ãÇá¡ æáÇ ÊÐÑæåä íÏÈÑä ÃãÑ ÇáÚíÇá " ÇáÍÏíË

http://www.yasoob.com/books/htm1/m001/05/no0561.html

Ayatullah Rouhani also narrates a few other similar ahadith on this topic (that is, on the deficiencies and weaknesses of women when compared with men) and states that these, along with many other ahadith, are the proof for the impermissibility of women being judges or rulers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

bismillah ir-rahman ir-rahim

I am with you on this one. I feel both genders have their own things that only they can or should do, in this i mean most men are stronger then a female its just how Allah SWT created them so if i were to go life 100LBS i'd proubly not be able to :) but another man my age and the same doing the exact same excersise would most likely be able to. This is not to say women are not as smart as men, Men should be the ones fixing the cars engine if it breaks but this is not to say i can't, but to put myself out there where other men may look at me or even be around me help isnt a safe plan for a women. And the same goes a man shouldnt be dilevering babies. Men and women are equal let me make that clear Allah SWT has just put us on this earth to do different things.

Allah U Akbar

• Advanced Member

bismillah ir-rahman ir-rahim

I am with you on this one. I feel both genders have their own things that only they can or should do, in this i mean most men are stronger then a female its just how Allah SWT created them so if i were to go life 100LBS i'd proubly not be able to :) but another man my age and the same doing the exact same excersise would most likely be able to. This is not to say women are not as smart as men, Men should be the ones fixing the cars engine if it breaks but this is not to say i can't, but to put myself out there where other men may look at me or even be around me help isnt a safe plan for a women. And the same goes a man shouldnt be dilevering babies. Men and women are equal let me make that clear Allah SWT has just put us on this earth to do different things.

Allah U Akbar

salam

Men and women are the same they just have different duties to do in life. Men are not more superior then women and women are not more superior then men and FULL STOP.

Also not all hadith that are out there are true that's what you have to know aswell.

Salam

• 2 weeks later...