Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Wize Muzlim

2010 Fifa World Cup

I know it's way to early to discuss this. But I feel it is necessary to put a landmark on your country now to prevent people from jumping bandwagons in the future.

The 2010 Fifa World Cup qualifications are still going. Here are the teams that have qualified and the current standings.

South Africa [Automatic]

Australia [Yes]

Japan [Yes]

South Korea [Yes]

North Korea [Yes]

Netherlands [Yes]

Will Qualify Soon

Brazil [95% Yes]

Chile [95% Yes]

Ghana [95% Yes]

Denmark [95% Yes]

Germany [95% Yes]

Spain [95% Yes]

England [95% Yes]

Serbia [95% Yes]

That means there are still 16 more spots left.

Who will you support to win the 2010 WC? Please state here and forever hold your peace.

I got Germany on this one.

Its too bad Iran is out...I'd like to see an Arab country or a Muslim one go through but thats hardly likely..or...a country that has never won it before..

I know it's way to early to discuss this. But I feel it is necessary to put a landmark on your country now to prevent people from jumping bandwagons in the future.

The 2010 Fifa World Cup qualifications are still going. Here are the teams that have qualified and the current standings.

South Africa [Automatic]

Australia [Yes]

Japan [Yes]

South Korea [Yes]

North Korea [Yes]

Netherlands [Yes]

Will Qualify Soon

Brazil [95% Yes]

Chile [95% Yes]

Ghana [95% Yes]

Denmark [95% Yes]

Germany [95% Yes]

Spain [95% Yes]

England [95% Yes]

Serbia [95% Yes]

That means there are still 16 more spots left.

Who will you support to win the 2010 WC? Please state here and forever hold your peace.

I got Germany on this one.

AS , Ensha Allah, i'll support Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Turkey . WS

AS , Ensha Allah, i'll support Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Turkey . WS

Oh no Iran is Out . :wacko:

Edited by Ali Zara

Given the historic significance of this World Cup, it might, just be the one where an African team finally express their true value. Plenty of contenders out there like Ivory Coast, Egypt, Ghana etc as well as the more traditional Nigeria, South Africa etc.

Personally, I think Capello's England will take some stopping. It wont be too much longer before a certain Wayne Rooney takes a major International championship by storm. Expect big things from them.

As a Scot, I will obviously support our cause should they qualify (which is by no means guaranteed) and although we are stuttering a little at the moment, never write us off for the Scots have proven time and again, on our day we are a match for anyone.

Edited by Impenetrable_Defence

ID: That's true about England. They are gonna surprise a lot of people this WC. As well as the Netherlands and Mexico. I honestly believe these teams have it within them to shock the soccer/football world and advance to the finals, but only to fall short to Brazil or Germany.

I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned Spain..! Is it still because they lost to the USA 2-0 :lol:..even the best of us lose to the underdogs at some point.. right.

Is Cameroon in? Was my fav. wc team growing up. And Nigeria is good also...Their level of football has gotten worse though. I don't think they have a chance. Iran didnt deserve to make it this year, they were too caught up being freedom fighters wearing stupid green bands like their the captain of idiot land, instead of playing the game. I think Brazil will win, once again. They are fun to watch. :P

Inshallah Bahrain makes it to the World Cup!

As for who I want to support next year, I'm going for Spain OR Netherlands.

I personally want to see a new country win the world cup. Its so boring seeing the same old teams win the cup time and time again... Always Brazil, Germany and Italy. Hell with them... :lol:

Hopefully we see new faces lift the trophy, so Im going to support Netherlands or Spain.

Inshallah Bahrain makes it to the World Cup!

As for who I want to support next year, I'm going for Spain OR Netherlands.

I personally want to see a new country win the world cup. Its so boring seeing the same old teams win the cup time and time again... Always Brazil, Germany and Italy. Hell with them... :lol:

Hopefully we see new faces lift the trophy, so Im going to support Netherlands or Spain.

Spain and England should be strong contenders, Germany and Italy are generally in the mix also, and seem to raise their game when it comes to the big competitions. Dont think Brazil are near as strong as they were, and Argentina look fairly rubbish under Maradonna.

Would like to see Rep. of Ireland there, but FIFA looks like it changed the rules in that teams that come 2nd in the groups are now seeded against who they play in the playoffs, so rather than Ireland being lucky and facing a weaker team when its pulled out of a hat, they will be facing a seeded team.

Edited by Irishman

I hope Ireland make it. Theyve got a fair share of decent blokes who can do something in the world cup level. Like Keane, O'Shea, etc.

Yeah I really do hope Argentina and Brazil piss off in 2010 and fail to win the world cup. Its clear as daylight Brazil are going to win 2014, so if they end up also winning 2010 then it's going to be back-to-back championships for them. And thats just going to get on people's nerves...

England have a decent chance in it as well.

Realistically, I think England, Spain and Netherlands are all challengers for the cup. We cant set aside Brazil or Argentina (if they make it) but I would hope that they dont win it.

Another team that might do something spectacular is Portugal, actually. I know theyve had it tough in the qualifiers recently, but most of these teams end up doing much better when the actual tournament starts. I certainly wouldnt mind Portugal winning the cup, either, seeing as they've never won it before. It will add much diversity to the winners list.

I hope Ireland make it. Theyve got a fair share of decent blokes who can do something in the world cup level. Like Keane, O'Shea, etc.

Yeah I really do hope Argentina and Brazil piss off in 2010 and fail to win the world cup. Its clear as daylight Brazil are going to win 2014, so if they end up also winning 2010 then it's going to be back-to-back championships for them. And thats just going to get on people's nerves...

Realistically, I think England, Spain and Netherlands are all challengers for the cup. We cant set aside Brazil or Argentina (if they make it) but I would hope that they dont win it.

Another team that might do something spectacular is Portugal, actually. I know theyve had it tough in the qualifiers recently, but most of these teams end up doing much better when the actual tournament starts. I certainly wouldnt mind Portugal winning the cup, either, seeing as they've never won it before. It will add much diversity to the winners list.

Their manager, the ex assistant manager at ManU, seems to be a bit clueless.

Edited by Irishman

Clear as daylight Brazil will win 2014??? This is football my freind, and this isnt Brazil of old.

Spain probably has the best combination of midfeild and attacking players, but I just dont like spain for some reason although I LOVE Iniesta.

Anyhow I really hope Brazil and Argentina play a really entertaining free flowing brand of football that no other team from other continents can match. That would make for good world cup viewing.

gonna support england even though they are going to lose on penalties in a crucial stage

i want argentina to win the world cup and someone hand maradonna a mike :Hijabi: heeheeheehee

Irishman is hiding cause his team lost to France, last night. :P

And so much for Bahrain. Idiots lost to NZ, roflmao.

LOL... No, not in hiding. France are 1 - 0 up after 90 minutes, due to a deflected goal. Ireland had a few chances in that game also, so anything is possible in the second leg. No embarrassment to be a goal down to a team like France. Ireland came 2nd in a tough group with Italy and Bulgaria in there. And then FIFA rigged it again by having playoffs using seeding, to avoid Russia playing France etc..., and hence having Ireland play one of the weaker sides. Note Ireland ( a population of a 4 million or less ) won the Grand Slam in Rugby earlier this years, beating England, France, Wales, Scotland and Italy, and had a good draw against Australia in Dublin last Sunday. Gaelic Football, Hurling and Rugby are the main sports in Ireland, along with boxing. Soccer may have BIG support among the fans, as they will always cheer for an Ireland team, but its not a major sport played here.

Irishman is hiding cause his team lost to France, last night. :P

I think it will be any French people hiding today. Ireland played France off the pitch in France, and it should of gone to penalties. Ireland have a world class goalkeeper in Shay Given, who is an excellent shot stopper. The pressure would of been huge on the French players during the penalties also, as they were big favourites and in front of their own angry crowd. Alas, Henry decided to cheat by handling the ball TWICE to keep the ball in play before crossing it in for the goal to be scored. Neither the ref, nor the two linesmen spotted it ( roll-eyes ), yet about 5 Irish players seen it and were appealing before the cross even went in. Ref still ignored it and allowed the cheated goal to stand. I hope he had collected his large paycheck from the French FA.

I think it will be any French people hiding today. Ireland played France off the pitch in France, and it should of gone to penalties. Ireland have a world class goalkeeper in Shay Given, who is an excellent shot stopper. The pressure would of been huge on the French players during the penalties also, as they were big favourites and in front of their own angry crowd. Alas, Henry decided to cheat by handling the ball TWICE to keep the ball in play before crossing it in for the goal to be scored. Neither the ref, nor the two linesmen spotted it ( roll-eyes ), yet about 5 Irish players seen it and were appealing before the cross even went in. Ref still ignored it and allowed the cheated goal to stand. I hope he had collected his large paycheck from the French FA.

Typical small minded Irish mentality. Blaming the referees, oh cursed be the luck of irish and all that cackle...

France were there for the taking in both games and Ireland were too weak minded to take it. Just as the only true Irish hero stated (Roy Keane), "always afraid to take that next step, mentally not strong enough".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8370497.stm

I didnt hear the FAI offer Georgia a replay when Robbie Keane won a ridiculous penalty in their group game.

Typical small minded Irish mentality. Blaming the referees, oh cursed be the luck of irish and all that cackle...

France were there for the taking in both games and Ireland were too weak minded to take it. Just as the only true Irish hero stated (Roy Keane), "always afraid to take that next step, mentally not strong enough".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8370497.stm

I didnt hear the FAI offer Georgia a replay when Robbie Keane won a ridiculous penalty in their group game.

I did not hear Georgia complaining as Irish players did not try and con the referee by a handball or diving, the ref thought the ball hit the hand of a Georgian player in his own penalty area and awarded a penalty. That match did not determine whether Ireland or Georgia finished second in group. FIFA already had seedings in groups, but only after France and Portugal ended up seconds in their groups did FIFA decide they now also need seedings in the playoffs ( rolls eyes ). As for Ireland having legitimate chances to win in the two legs, well the same could be said for the former World and European champions France, whose only goal in the first leg was a lucky deflection, and whose only goal in the second leg was a blatent handball. Would of been very interesting to see what FIFA would of done if Ireland had got the goal by handball and knocked France and their multi-million pound deals out of the Wolrd Cup. A replay would of happeneded.

As for Roy Keane, well he is a traitor to Irish football, and has been for a long time. As for why was the ball not defended properly in the first place, maybe he should ask why his Ipswich cant defend either, after all the money he spent on players, and why Sunderland are now doing well under Steve Bruce, but done fairly [Edited Out] when Keane managed them.

Like Roy Keane said, handball or no handball, they shouldn't have conceded anyway.

The only goals conceded were a bad deflection that wrong footed the goalie ( and no goalie would of saved ) , and the a ball that was going out of play until Henry decided to stick his hand out to keep it in play. Maybe if the great France had not conceded the Irish goal, they would of not needed to cheat?

I did not hear Georgia complaining as Irish players did not try and con the referee by a handball or diving, the ref thought the ball hit the hand of a Georgian player in his own penalty area and awarded a penalty. That match did not determine whether Ireland or Georgia finished second in group. FIFA already had seedings in groups, but only after France and Portugal ended up seconds in their groups did FIFA decide they now also need seedings in the playoffs ( rolls eyes ). As for Ireland having legitimate chances to win in the two legs, well the same could be said for the former World and European champions France, whose only goal in the first leg was a lucky deflection, and whose only goal in the second leg was a blatent handball. Would of been very interesting to see what FIFA would of done if Ireland had got the goal by handball and knocked France and their multi-million pound deals out of the Wolrd Cup. A replay would of happeneded.

As for Roy Keane, well he is a traitor to Irish football, and has been for a long time. As for why was the ball not defended properly in the first place, maybe he should ask why his Ipswich cant defend either, after all the money he spent on players, and why Sunderland are now doing well under Steve Bruce, but done fairly [Edited Out] when Keane managed them.

Yet more cackle, typical of the Irish and exceptional to just about every other species.

Firstly, the georgia game could well have been critical as Bulgaria would have had something to play for in their final games and hence been motivated to win. Every Irish player and ex player and coach to have voiced their opinion on the incident refuse to call Henry a cheat but rather claim his "instinct" caused him to handball. They are all blaming the referee and the French federation for not offering a reply and rather than blaming, thanking Henry instead. The referee made an even more blatant error in the Georgia game, yet I didnt hear Robbie Keane say to the referee that it was a wrong decision and that after the game, they should offer them a replay!

The point is this, yes Ireland played pretty well in Paris, yes they were unfortunate with the goal, but to spark such a moronic outcry and calls for the replay due to "injustices" against the "small" Irish nation is worth only vomit and disgrace. There is no greater exemplar of cheating than diving to win penalties and every club and nation in the game is guilty of winning penalties through diving on a regular basis. We have a moan and a whinge, for sure, but no one writes appeals to Fifa asking for replays! The world cup itself is guaranteed to feature games decided by wrong refereeing decisions, (caused by cheating or otherwise) but you wont find any of the nations dumped out of the world cup in this manner to complain in the way the Irish did. If it had happened the other way around, you can be sure that the Irish would never have offered France a replay. Ireland had the opportunity to take the game to the French at 0-1 and they sat back, almost settling for the lottery of the penalties, and as Roy Keane said, afraiding of taking the next step and winning the game outright.

And as regards to your abominable insult towards the greatest player to ever come out of the Irish republic, Roy Keane represents the complete antithesis to everything Irish. His winning mentality, his courage, his determination to reach the top of the sport and single handedly take a team of losers to Korea in 2002 only to be abused and publicly insulted by his coach and the Irish FIA is the reason why small minded Irishmen blame and abuse their only genuine hero and hence why they will always remain a nation of losers.

Roy Keane took a side 24th in the Championship division having lost their first 4 games to 1st inside 7 months. He then consolidated their position the following season and left early in his third. Hardly a [Edited Out] job. Let us see how Mick McCarthy does at wolves...

Yet more cackle, typical of the Irish and exceptional to just about every other species.

Firstly, the georgia game could well have been critical as Bulgaria would have had something to play for in their final games and hence been motivated to win. Every Irish player and ex player and coach to have voiced their opinion on the incident refuse to call Henry a cheat but rather claim his "instinct" caused him to handball. They are all blaming the referee and the French federation for not offering a reply and rather than blaming, thanking Henry instead. The referee made an even more blatant error in the Georgia game, yet I didnt hear Robbie Keane say to the referee that it was a wrong decision and that after the game, they should offer them a replay!

What did Robbie Keane do to cheat for that penalty exactly?. The ref who was close by thought he seen a Georgian player handle the ball. Can Keane say 100% that the Georgian did not handle it?. Err no, but Henry could of said he handled it ( twice ), as he knew he did, and then ran off to celebrate, rather than mute his celeberation. Yeah, the hand ball may have been instinctive and no time to think, but immediately after he done it, he had time to think and ran around celebrating like they had just won the world cup. All well and good looking sorry at the end of the game, and then telling the ref and the public at the end he handled it ( twice ), when he knew 100% the replays would of shown it. If there was no camera's at the match like in the very old days, he would not have admitted to it.

The point is this, yes Ireland played pretty well in Paris, yes they were unfortunate with the goal, but to spark such a moronic outcry and calls for the replay due to "injustices" against the "small" Irish nation is worth only vomit and disgrace. There is no greater exemplar of cheating than diving to win penalties and every club and nation in the game is guilty of winning penalties through diving on a regular basis. We have a moan and a whinge, for sure, but no one writes appeals to Fifa asking for replays! The world cup itself is guaranteed to feature games decided by wrong refereeing decisions, (caused by cheating or otherwise) but you wont find any of the nations dumped out of the world cup in this manner to complain in the way the Irish did. If it had happened the other way around, you can be sure that the Irish would never have offered France a replay. Ireland had the opportunity to take the game to the French at 0-1 and they sat back, almost settling for the lottery of the penalties, and as Roy Keane said, afraiding of taking the next step and winning the game outright.

Ireland played well, and created many chances, but we lack an out and out world class striker to put those chances away, unlike France who have two world class strikers and could not create chances for them. It was Ireland that was going for the win in that match, unlike the French trying to defend the 1 goal lead from the first game. And Ireland playing somewhat carefully to ensure penalties at the very worst is no insult, especially for the underdogs, as we have a great shot stopper keeper in Givens, who is good in penalties. Votes and polls in France have shown over 80% are embarrased at how the French progressed, and a BIG percentage would of liked a replay. May be against FIFA rules, but as you seen when Arsenal offered Sheffield a replay, it was sanctioned as both teams agreed. Why were France so scared to play Ireland again?

And as regards to your abominable insult towards the greatest player to ever come out of the Irish republic, Roy Keane represents the complete antithesis to everything Irish. His winning mentality, his courage, his determination to reach the top of the sport and single handedly take a team of losers to Korea in 2002 only to be abused and publicly insulted by his coach and the Irish FIA is the reason why small minded Irishmen blame and abuse their only genuine hero and hence why they will always remain a nation of losers.

Roy Keane took a side 24th in the Championship division having lost their first 4 games to 1st inside 7 months. He then consolidated their position the following season and left early in his third. Hardly a [Edited Out] job. Let us see how Mick McCarthy does at wolves...

Roy Keane also finished a guys career with a tackle. Roy Keane plays for Roy Keane only. Keane was given BIG money when he took over at Sunderland after Niall Quinn consortium took them over, he did not manage same team as McCarthy. That explains how he got them to the Premier League, he could outspend all the other Championship teams by a large margin. Look at how Sunderland are doing now under Steve Bruce, in comparison to how they would fairing under Keane near the end!!

McCarty is still stuck at Wolves with very limited finances, and does the best he can with what he has. Keane was thrown a ball of money again when he took over Ipswich, and his luck with getting Ipswich promoted, even when he outspends the other championship teams is not looking good. They are now 17 games in, with 1 win only and second from bottom by only 2 points. Even Peterborough who are bottom have 2 wins from their 17 games, Keane has the lowest of ALL of Championship sides in terms of wins, but has outspent more then 90% of those teams. Yeah, a great manager LOL

What did Robbie Keane do to cheat for that penalty exactly?. The ref who was close by thought he seen a Georgian player handle the ball. Can Keane say 100% that the Georgian did not handle it?. Err no, but Henry could of said he handled it ( twice ), as he knew he did, and then ran off to celebrate, rather than mute his celeberation. Yeah, the hand ball may have been instinctive and no time to think, but immediately after he done it, he had time to think and ran around celebrating like they had just won the world cup. All well and good looking sorry at the end of the game, and then telling the ref and the public at the end he handled it ( twice ), when he knew 100% the replays would of shown it. If there was no camera's at the match like in the very old days, he would not have admitted to it.

I dont care for Henry. He may well be a disgraceful cheat, he may be an honest bloke who played it as he saw it. The point I am addressing is the synonymity between the Irish reaction to the incident and their continuing status as a weak, feeble, nation of losers.

Ireland played well, and created many chances, but we lack an out and out world class striker to put those chances away, unlike France who have two world class strikers and could not create chances for them. It was Ireland that was going for the win in that match, unlike the French trying to defend the 1 goal lead from the first game. And Ireland playing somewhat carefully to ensure penalties at the very worst is no insult, especially for the underdogs, as we have a great shot stopper keeper in Givens, who is good in penalties. Votes and polls in France have shown over 80% are embarrased at how the French progressed, and a BIG percentage would of liked a replay. May be against FIFA rules, but as you seen when Arsenal offered Sheffield a replay, it was sanctioned as both teams agreed. Why were France so scared to play Ireland again?

France would not have been scared. They had no obligation to offer a replay so they didnt offer it. Thats the way the French federation has and will always continue to operate. But we both know as sure as God exists, that France would have come through the penalties and would have come through in any replay. No matter what the circumstances, the Irish will always fail until they have a consciousness change, a change that Roy Keane is consistently abused for representing. The World Cup is a better place with France in it, not because of the star quality in their team but because the French, irrespective of their condition (which in the recent past is woeful) are a side who enter competitions to win them and not to drink and have a party. And no, its nothing to do with the size of the nation, teams such as Holland, Portugal and Greece continue to defy such a lousy myth. The FIA are responsible for the state of Irish football and they have no one else to blame but themselves, the moans about the big bad daddy FIFA are ridiculous. As a famous man once said, "Boring!, just boring!, Bore you to death it would!.

There are some shining lights in Irish support alongside Roy Keane. You have tremendous people like Brian O'Driscoll, Paul O'Connell who have spent their professional lives doing their damndest to elevate Irish sport beyond the drivel of continuous underachievement. People like Declan Kidney have never spent a second in a press conference or an interview bemoaning the IRB or external circumstances. They believe unlike their fellow Irishmen, that they are always in control of their destiny and the decisions they make will determine winning and losing and not some foreign influence. But even the Irish rugby team have been let down by this pandemic defeatist disease calling failing. Every worldcup, they are an embarrassment to their nation with gifted talents like Ronan O'Gara continiously choking whenever the big occasion arises.oh but that time the media and newspapers were to blame!. "Bore you to death, it would".

Roy Keane also finished a guys career with a tackle. Roy Keane plays for Roy Keane only. Keane was given BIG money when he took over at Sunderland after Niall Quinn consortium took them over, he did not manage same team as McCarthy. That explains how he got them to the Premier League, he could outspend all the other Championship teams by a large margin. Look at how Sunderland are doing now under Steve Bruce, in comparison to how they would fairing under Keane near the end!!

McCarty is still stuck at Wolves with very limited finances, and does the best he can with what he has. Keane was thrown a ball of money again when he took over Ipswich, and his luck with getting Ipswich promoted, even when he outspends the other championship teams is not looking good. They are now 17 games in, with 1 win only and second from bottom by only 2 points. Even Peterborough who are bottom have 2 wins from their 17 games, Keane has the lowest of ALL of Championship sides in terms of wins, but has outspent more then 90% of those teams. Yeah, a great manager LOL

It would help if you got some facts right. Roy Keane joined outside the August transfer window so he could not have spent a lot of cash on players. He signed a few out of contract folk (people like Dwight Yorke etc) and largely had to make to do with astute loan signings (people like Johnny Evans, Phil Bardsley). Yes, he bought heavily in January by which time Sunderland were well on their way to promotion. Steve Bruce has built on Keane's tremendous groundwork by making some fine additions of his own, (Darren Bent, Lee Cattermole etc) and they are only performing at the levela club of that stature should expect. Bruce would be the first to recognise Keane's immense influence on the club, taking over after enduring the worst season of any premiership side in living memory.

Check your facts on Ipswich's expenditure this season. They have not been "outspending other championship teams" to the level you are suggesting. He has stuck largely with the side that was of mid table standard when he took over and yes, he is struggling to get them going. But I'll let you into a wee secret. Sir Alex Ferguson once went 13 games without a win (exactly as Keane at Ipswich) and was famously told he was one game from the sack before being saved by a Mark Robins goal in an FA Cup tie. And we know a little bit about what happened to Sir Alex since, yes became the most successful British manager of all time, so lets not be too quick slagging Keane off for a sluggish start from his Ipswich side. I am not predicting he will survive his job, but I wouldnt put money against them making the playoffs this season either. I only have one reason for saying that: Roy Keane is a winner. Ireland, take note.

Edited by Impenetrable_Defence

I dont care for Henry. He may well be a disgraceful cheat, he may be an honest bloke who played it as he saw it. The point I am addressing is the synonymity between the Irish reaction to the incident and their continuing status as a weak, feeble, nation of losers.

The Irish status as a a weak, feeble, nation of losers LOL. Yeah, a state which earned its independence from a massively military superior United Kingdom that controlled probably a quarter of the world at one point. A small country like Ireland that has had numerous world champions in many sports, its Rubgy team which is all from home grown players has just won the Grand Slam, and has produced world renowned scientists, poets, writers. A country which after earning its freedom not too long ago, has turned itself into a model of democracy, unlike many countries around the world who when they earned their freedom from under the UK are still just controlled by dictators, and the people in those countries do not know the meaning of the world freedom or democracy.

France would not have been scared. They had no obligation to offer a replay so they didnt offer it. Thats the way the French federation has and will always continue to operate. But we both know as sure as God exists, that France would have come through the penalties and would have come through in any replay. No matter what the circumstances, the Irish will always fail until they have a consciousness change, a change that Roy Keane is consistently abused for representing. The World Cup is a better place with France in it, not because of the star quality in their team but because the French, irrespective of their condition (which in the recent past is woeful) are a side who enter competitions to win them and not to drink and have a party. And no, its nothing to do with the size of the nation, teams such as Holland, Portugal and Greece continue to defy such a lousy myth. The FIA are responsible for the state of Irish football and they have no one else to blame but themselves, the moans about the big bad daddy FIFA are ridiculous. As a famous man once said, "Boring!, just boring!, Bore you to death it would!.

France were scared to offer a replay, and hid under the skirt of FIFA. The great France for all their world class players could only manage one legitimate goal after 210 minutes of total play against the Irish, even though Ireland were attacking in that game, and NOT parking a bus in front of goal. Ireland outplayed France by a BIG margin that second leg, and if we had a more clinical sriker, we would of won by 2 or 3 goals. And France would of come through penalties?. That is impossible to know and shows your obvious anti-Irish bias. Every football manager will acknowledge that penalties are a total lottery and impossible to call a winner in advance. Here is the mighty Everton beating ManU 4 - 2 on penalties earlier this year, and your world class Berbatov bottling it under pressure, just like the rest of the ManU playes. Penalties are impossible to call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsnI9InvJww

The Irish fans are loved worldwide whenever they travel and that is said by people in numerous countries where Irish fans travel to. Yes they like to party as part of the experience, but are avid supporters or the Irish team, unlike the French who prefer to sit at home at watch football. The Irish fans also behave themselves very well when they travel and you never hear stories of them getting in fights with other fans on the streets or tear stadiums apart and wreck town centres like fans of some countries teams, and some clubs.

There are some shining lights in Irish support alongside Roy Keane. You have tremendous people like Brian O'Driscoll, Paul O'Connell who have spent their professional lives doing their damndest to elevate Irish sport beyond the drivel of continuous underachievement. People like Declan Kidney have never spent a second in a press conference or an interview bemoaning the IRB or external circumstances. They believe unlike their fellow Irishmen, that they are always in control of their destiny and the decisions they make will determine winning and losing and not some foreign influence. But even the Irish rugby team have been let down by this pandemic defeatist disease calling failing. Every worldcup, they are an embarrassment to their nation with gifted talents like Ronan O'Gara continiously choking whenever the big occasion arises.oh but that time the media and

newspapers were to blame!. "Bore you to death, it would".

Finally, an Irishman with a bit of passion hitting back, thumbs up ;)

The Irish status as a a weak, feeble, nation of losers LOL. Yeah, a state which earned its independence from a massively military superior United Kingdom that controlled probably a quarter of the world at one point. A small country like Ireland that has had numerous world champions in many sports, its Rubgy team which is all from home grown players has just won the Grand Slam, and has produced world renowned scientists, poets, writers. A country which after earning its freedom not too long ago, has turned itself into a model of democracy, unlike many countries around the world who when they earned their freedom from under the UK are still just controlled by dictators, and the people in those countries do not know the meaning of the world freedom or democracy.

You missed my point entirely. Ireland is a nation built on pride and courage, precisely because of some of the things you mentioned and hence why it is pertinent to address this weak, low life and small minded mentality that has dominated Irish football and the FIA for at least all of my life. The Irish should be qualifying for major tournaments, they should have gone to the 2002 with realistic aims to reach the latter stages. Yes, they may probably have come short but they should at least endeavour to give themselves every chance of going as far as they can. The preparation for the 2002 World Cup was an abomination as Keane eloquently described in his book. Why should they not have the same winning pysche as a team with no passion or identity such as an England when they play football. Yes, they cannot control the inferior quality they can put out on the field but a nation with a bit of belief and courage like the Irish should be resolved to increase their determination in making up for this in other areas they can control as a result. Areas like preparation, areas like the setting of high standards and expectations. Areas such as introspecting upon their teams failure to qualify from a winnable group and then from an extremely winnable playoff tie to ensure they are better resolved the next time they compete. But it is in these critical areas that the Irish disappoint and this is why I took exception to the outcry from those representing Irish football after their controversial exit. Compare this with the English. When they failed to qualify for the last European Championships, anyone with a bit of common sense could see that the muppet of a coach was responsible for their exit. Steve McClaren performed woefully and the entire team was clearly performing well below their natural standard due to his incompetent management. But when they got kicked out, the entire english football community did not merely pin the entire blame on McClaren or Steve Carson (the keeper who made two incredible howlers that gifted croatia the win) even though these were the most rational explanations. Rather they started to question everything about the english game, they immediately instigated a root and branch inquiry into the game, from the grass roots level, to youth academies, to the methods of coaching, to player diets, and even european directives they wished to enfoce about ensuring minimum number of english players named in the matchday squads of premiership matches. Of course as Capello is now demonstrating, none of these had anything to do with why England were so abysmal under McClaren, but nonetheless the difference in the attitude of the respective football associations is clear to see. This is what Keane is harping on about and I have every sympathy with what he is saying. There are two ways in dealing with being the "smaller" man in life. You either accept your natural status as an also ran and spend your time complaining about the big man's dominance over you (FIA > FIFA, Ireland > France) as represented by the FIA, or you develop a greater attitude and strategy to compete and eventually defeat the bigger man and accept nothing less till you achieve it, as represented by Roy Keane. I know which small man I would rather be.

I do contest the statement that "Ireland has produced many world champions". Certainly compared to my own country, (not a great deal bigger) Ireland has produced comparatively few. The one area you are right to mention is International rugby which is a sport entirely predicated on courage and commitment. Over the 6 years or so, the Irish along with France have been by far and away the most talented and able sides in the Northen Hemisphere. Their domestic sides have been fiercely competitive, boasting highly successful teams such as Munster and Leinster etc. However up until last year France had won 4 Six Nations in 6 years and 2 semi finals in 2 World Cups. Yet, the Irish national team had yet to record a single Six Nations triumph and were dumped out in the group stages of the last two world cups. This is a side brimming with world class players in nearly every department. This is a nation with domestic teams that have been dominating celtic and european competitions. But yet the national side havent won jack until last year where finally they showed a bit of bottle. But as Roy Keane said, the endemic disease of "failing to take the next step" will prove once more I predict this time around where Ireland will finish nowhere. I only have to look at the way the team celebrated last years triumph as if they have reached the summit in their career and that nothing else afterwards matter. Their immediate demise was indicated by the hopeless performance of an Ireland dominated British Lions team last summer and then their woeful performance in s[Edited Out]ing a draw against Australia just two weeks ago. If it wasnt for a certain Brian O'Driscoll, then Ireland would have been nowhere in their Grand Slam triumph. He saved them on every occasion when Ireland placed themselves under severe pressure in circumstances they should be coming through comfortably in. He was the difference between Ireland finishing 5th and 1st. In the same way, Roy Keane was the difference between Ireland qualifying for world cups and failing ever since. You do produce truly exceptional people and leaders in sport (Keith Wood is another man I am a big admirer of) but you are yet to produce a collective and national winning pysche.

France were scared to offer a replay, and hid under the skirt of FIFA. The great France for all their world class players could only manage one legitimate goal after 210 minutes of total play against the Irish, even though Ireland were attacking in that game, and NOT parking a bus in front of goal. Ireland outplayed France by a BIG margin that second leg, and if we had a more clinical sriker, we would of won by 2 or 3 goals. And France would of come through penalties?. That is impossible to know and shows your obvious anti-Irish bias. Every football manager will acknowledge that penalties are a total lottery and impossible to call a winner in advance. Here is the mighty Everton beating ManU 4 - 2 on penalties earlier this year, and your world class Berbatov bottling it under pressure, just like the rest of the ManU playes. Penalties are impossible to call.

My prediction that France would have come through is soley premised on the evident lack of self belief among the Irish players. Penalties are about bottle. Everton are impossible to compare with Ireland for Everton are a side built on self belief through their scottish manager, David Moyes. Berbatov is a world class talent but lacked all the necessary characteristics to come out on top in a highly pressurized circumstance such as semi final shoot out. But again you are blaming your "lack of a clinical striker" to score you the goals that were clearly available for you in Paris. Robbie Keane has been knocking them in for fun for Tottenham this season, why couldnt he step up? Both Ireland and France have been on the slide in recent years but in these two games Ireland had enough ability in their team to put away france well before extra time and they didnt take it. Instead they were afraid to take full control of the tie and press for the second goal that they would have inevitably achieved had they believed they could win. Instead, they were happy to leave the game on a knife edge and place all their hopes, not in themselves but in the luck of the ensuing shoot out. Instead, they were happy to let France pump balls from 60 years into their penalty area and happy to allow balls bounce in their six yard box. Should Given have pounced on it? Absolutely. Did he lack the ability to pounce on it? Absolutely Not. Did he lack the character to take charge of a situation that was under his control? Unfortunately, the answer is yes. Ireland were not found wanting in quality against France, they were found wanting in belief. That is a state of affairs that no Irishman should be satisfied with and the only way to rid yourself of this problem is through introspecting upon defeat and not the regular and boring complaints about big bad Fifa and the powers of be within the game.

The Irish fans are loved worldwide whenever they travel and that is said by people in numerous countries where Irish fans travel to. Yes they like to party as part of the experience, but are avid supporters or the Irish team, unlike the French who prefer to sit at home at watch football. The Irish fans also behave themselves very well when they travel and you never hear stories of them getting in fights with other fans on the streets or tear stadiums apart and wreck town centres like fans of some countries teams, and some clubs.

Yep, Irish fans are always impeccably behaved just like the Irish players in the first leg when no one received a booking. Perhaps Irish fans should get a bit nasty, perhaps they should whip up their anger at their side for failing to deliver them to another World Cup. Perhaps they should be ringing up phone ins, demanding answers from the FIA as to why they have presided over another defeat. Irish fans are culpable just as much as anyone else. They set the expectations. Take a look at my nation, Scotland, which has an even more inferior set of players than Ireland. We sack our manager for failing to qualify, not reward them with improved offers on a new contract. We demand that our side competes in major competitions and we will keep searching for solutions until we get there. Doing so, will ensure we will. Feeling sorry for ourselves and blaming Fifa because we are a small nation is only going to ensure the exact opposite. Endemic failure.

Why did he need to buy heavily if they were already on their way to promotion?. He still bought heavily at the Christmas window, when other Championship teams could not, so my facts are right, he also bought heavily again the following summer when promotion was earned, and then nearly got Sunderland relegated, and jumped ship just in case so he would not have to take the blame. A cowards decision!!

Fergie was also a well recognised manager at that point, and had numerous high level success in Scotland. Keane, apart from getting Sunderland ( who spent a bag of money ) promoted, has achieved nothing at management level, except showing he likes to run away when the pressure is on. He is trying to survive to Christmas, when no doubt he will ask for another bag of gold to try and outspend all the other teams again, and try and win promotion, and take the credit for it, rather than it being money only which may earn them promotion. He will probably be sacked first!!

He bought heavily to keep improving his side. Thats what great managers do. They dont settle for what they have got, even when its good enough to win 1st prize. Keane always strives from improvement and if he has a budget to use, he will use it as best he can. I will not shy away from criticising some of the signings he has made. I believe this is a major weakness he has. He needs to develop a better understanding of the transfer market if he wishes to progress to the next step. Roy Keane didnt "jump ship" because he felt Sunderland were in danger of relation. There was over 20 games to go and they were 6 points of 10th position lol. He left because a new set up was arranged at the club and he considered the new arrangements were not commensurate with his vision for the club. You really do cripple any basis to your argument when you are unable to concede that Keane did a good job with Sunderland, regardless of the perceived advantages or disadvantages he had over others.

Sir Alex Ferguson did not lead one of the greatest ever sides for a generation. Roy Keane has demonstrated his profound leadership qualities as a player and he has demonstrated relative aptitude in management with Sunderland. He is obviously still unproven as a manager but only a fool would right him off in any circumstance, irrespective of how desperate. Ipswich are a tough side to call at the moment, but I predict a mid table finish although as i mentioned in my last reply, it would not surprise in the least if they secured promotion via the playoffs. It would be a nonsensical thing to suggest if Ipswich were managed by any other than Roy Keane.

keep up the banter!

Finally, an Irishman with a bit of passion hitting back, thumbs up ;)

You missed my point entirely. Ireland is a nation built on pride and courage, precisely because of some of the things you mentioned and hence why it is pertinent to address this weak, low life and small minded mentality that has dominated Irish football and the FIA for at least all of my life. The Irish should be qualifying for major tournaments, they should have gone to the 2002 with realistic aims to reach the latter stages. Yes, they may probably have come short but they should at least endeavour to give themselves every chance of going as far as they can. The preparation for the 2002 World Cup was an abomination as Keane eloquently described in his book. Why should they not have the same winning pysche as a team with no passion or identity such as an England when they play football. Yes, they cannot control the inferior quality they can put out on the field but a nation with a bit of belief and courage like the Irish should be resolved to increase their determination in making up for this in other areas they can control as a result. Areas like preparation, areas like the setting of high standards and expectations. Areas such as introspecting upon their teams failure to qualify from a winnable group and then from an extremely winnable playoff tie to ensure they are better resolved the next time they compete. But it is in these critical areas that the Irish disappoint and this is why I took exception to the outcry from those representing Irish football after their controversial exit. Compare this with the English. When they failed to qualify for the last European Championships, anyone with a bit of common sense could see that the muppet of a coach was responsible for their exit. Steve McClaren performed woefully and the entire team was clearly performing well below their natural standard due to his incompetent management. But when they got kicked out, the entire english football community did not merely pin the entire blame on McClaren or Steve Carson (the keeper who made two incredible howlers that gifted croatia the win) even though these were the most rational explanations. Rather they started to question everything about the english game, they immediately instigated a root and branch inquiry into the game, from the grass roots level, to youth academies, to the methods of coaching, to player diets, and even european directives they wished to enfoce about ensuring minimum number of english players named in the matchday squads of premiership matches. Of course as Capello is now demonstrating, none of these had anything to do with why England were so abysmal under McClaren, but nonetheless the difference in the attitude of the respective football associations is clear to see. This is what Keane is harping on about and I have every sympathy with what he is saying. There are two ways in dealing with being the "smaller" man in life. You either accept your natural status as an also ran and spend your time complaining about the big man's dominance over you (FIA > FIFA, Ireland > France) as represented by the FIA, or you develop a greater attitude and strategy to compete and eventually defeat the bigger man and accept nothing less till you achieve it, as represented by Roy Keane. I know which small man I would rather be.

I do contest the statement that "Ireland has produced many world champions". Certainly compared to my own country, (not a great deal bigger) Ireland has produced comparatively few. The one area you are right to mention is International rugby which is a sport entirely predicated on courage and commitment. Over the 6 years or so, the Irish along with France have been by far and away the most talented and able sides in the Northen Hemisphere. Their domestic sides have been fiercely competitive, boasting highly successful teams such as Munster and Leinster etc. However up until last year France had won 4 Six Nations in 6 years and 2 semi finals in 2 World Cups. Yet, the Irish national team had yet to record a single Six Nations triumph and were dumped out in the group stages of the last two world cups. This is a side brimming with world class players in nearly every department. This is a nation with domestic teams that have been dominating celtic and european competitions. But yet the national side havent won jack until last year where finally they showed a bit of bottle. But as Roy Keane said, the endemic disease of "failing to take the next step" will prove once more I predict this time around where Ireland will finish nowhere. I only have to look at the way the team celebrated last years triumph as if they have reached the summit in their career and that nothing else afterwards matter. Their immediate demise was indicated by the hopeless performance of an Ireland dominated British Lions team last summer and then their woeful performance in s[Edited Out]ing a draw against Australia just two weeks ago. If it wasnt for a certain Brian O'Driscoll, then Ireland would have been nowhere in their Grand Slam triumph. He saved them on every occasion when Ireland placed themselves under severe pressure in circumstances they should be coming through comfortably in. He was the difference between Ireland finishing 5th and 1st. In the same way, Roy Keane was the difference between Ireland qualifying for world cups and failing ever since. You do produce truly exceptional people and leaders in sport (Keith Wood is another man I am a big admirer of) but you are yet to produce a collective and national winning pysche.

keep up the banter!

Ireland came second ( and were unbeaten ) in a tough group, with the world champions Italy in our group and Bulgaria who are considered quite a good side and generally qualify. Ireland then had to face France, the world cup runners up and gave them a very good game and should of beaten them. Robbie Keane has not being doing great for Spurs since the new PL season started back and many fans are Spurs fans are calling for him to be dropped and the captaincy taken off him. Trapattoni is a good tactical manager and cant blame him for any failings. The FAI are a joke, but cant really change them, as they are untouchable, like in most countries.

Ireland has produced many world champions for a relatively small country, and especially since the national sports of Hurling and Gaelic Football are the major sports played. Ireland always does very in boxing in the Olympics and in professional boxing. Lots of kickboxing world champions also, two from my local town currently. A few champions previously in athletics. Have won the Triple Crown a fair bit in recent years, against teams whose population to pick players from dwarfs Irelands small population. Ireland punches above its weight in most sports.

Sign in to follow this