Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Food prepared or given to you by Hindus/Sikhs

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I needed to clarify whether we can eat food prepared or cooked or served by Hindus/Sikhs?

Sometimes we are invited to restaurants that cater for the Hindu Vegetarian community... Can we participate and eat such food prepared by them? Either in their home or restaurants?

Please let me know ASAP

Thanks

• Veteran Member

Muslims in India would have to either cut themselves from the rest of society or pack their bags and leave for some other land if they were to listen to Sayyed Seestani on that.

Funny there is no clear Islamic perspective wrt this. It is permissible to one scholar, impermissible to another, yet permissible to yet another.

Edited by Marbles
  • Advanced Member
Muslims in India would have to either cut themselves from the rest of society or pack their bags and leave for some other land if they were to listen to Sayyed Seestani on that.

I'm a muqallid of Sayyed Sistani living in India, and I definitely do not have to cut myself from the rest of the society or pack my bags to leave for some other land, if I follow this edict (which I have - and faced no problems inspite of having Hindu friends). Plus, we have many Muslim alternatives (restaurants and such), so why would any Muslim have to pack his bags if he follows this edict, is beyond me.

People just love to dramatize the issues and portray the Shariah as a monster or something.

Ayat. Makarim gives the edict based on the premise, that if a Muslim finds it extremely difficult to avoid Hindu food. This was a long time back. If a person wants to follow his edict on this matter, it'd be better to double-check with him first.

Edited by SpIzo
  • Forum Administrators
I'm a muqallid of Sayyed Sistani living in India, and I definitely do not have to cut myself from the rest of the society or pack my bags to leave for some other land, if I follow this edict (which I have - and faced no problems inspite of having Hindu friends). Plus, we have many Muslim alternatives (restaurants and such), so why would any Muslim have to pack his bags if he follows this edict, is beyond me.

My work recently has involved attending meetings in a Hindu temple (in the UK), it's quite far away and by the time I get there I am gasping for a tea...

• Advanced Member
My work recently has involved attending meetings in a Hindu temple (in the UK), it's quite far away and by the time I get there I am gasping for a tea...

Why don't you carry your own drinks there or maybe you could go to their kitchen and make your own tea?

Anyway I don't know if tea falls under 'food prepared by hindus' since usually when tea is prepared there is no need for hand contact with any of the ingredients, but I would not drink their tea just to be on the safe side. :unsure:

• Advanced Member

What kind of work involves meetings in a Hindu temple? :blink: Lol, in any case, I'm sure you can think of an alternative - like taking a bottle of water along with you and a packet of tea bags. :P

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Come on people, I cant carry my own tea, food etc to a restaurant or their home if they invite you for food! I really need an answer to this!

What does Ayatollah Khameini say about this?

Since I deal with Hindus day in day out and am normally invited out to their homes/outings and share food with them.

This is very important to me!

Since in the Quran it clearly does say:

O you who believe! the idolaters are nothing but unclean...(9:28).

Based on this verse, every Maraje has declared Mushriks as najis and so anything touched/prepared by them which is wet, is unclean.

• Advanced Member

Drinking Something Served by a Non-Muslim

Q: One of our workmates is not Muslim (a Buddhist) and he serves us water and tea. Are we allowed to drink what he serves?

A: If he you are not confident that he had touched them with his body along with transmitting moisture, there is no objection to drinking them.

http://leader.ir/tree/tree.php?catid=72&nodeid=0

Since in the Quran it clearly does say:

O you who believe! the idolaters are nothing but unclean...(9:28).

Based on this verse, every Maraje has declared Mushriks as najis and so anything touched/prepared by them which is wet, is unclean.

But thats not the only ayat that one has to consider. Here is one which accords you discretion:

16:115 - He has only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and any (food) over which the name of other than God has been invoked. But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- Then God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Quran for dummies like you and I and the standards of interpretation as charted out by Imam Alo

Sermon 1 - But the Prophet left among you the same which other Prophets left among their peoples, because Prophets do not leave them untended (in dark) without a clear path and a standing ensign, namely the Book of your Creator clarifying its permission and prohibitions, its obligations and discretion, its repealing injunctions and the repealed ones, its permissible matters and compulsory ones, its particulars and the general ones, its lessons and illustrations, its long and the short ones, its clear and obscure ones, detailing its abbreviations and clarifying its obscurities.

In it there are some verses whose knowledge (1) is obligatory and others whose ignorance by the people is permissible. It also contains what appears to be obligatory according to the Book (2) but its repeal is signified by the Prophet’s action (sunnah) or that which appears compulsory according to the Prophet’s action but the Book allows not following it. Or there are those which are obligatory in a given time but not so after that time. Its prohibitions also differ. Some are major regarding which there exists the threat of fire (Hell), and others are minor for which there are prospects of forgiveness. There are also those of which a small portion is also acceptable (to Alláh) but they are capable of being expanded.

Personally, if you are invited by Hindus and you reject an invitation based on a rule by a marja, i think thats inhumane to say the least.

Edited by mandate
  • Advanced Member
Salaam Alaikum,

What about people whose parents are Hindu? For example, I converted to Shia Islam 2 years ago, I still live with my parents (who are Hindu). Is it permissible to have the food cooked by them? Now I'm worried!

Hetal Fatemah

Follow Ayt. Shirazi's edict.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

What kind of nonsense is this????? Of course you can eat food served by someone else, you guys act like they "poisoned" the food, I don't see other faiths rejecting other peoples food.

As long as you are 100% aware, there is no pork, beacon, gelatin, alcohol, or products that are haram etc.

But I don't know, this is my view, I could be wrong, and if I am, I apologize, because this is the first time I ever heard such a thing.

• Advanced Member

As Salamu Alikum Warahmantu Allah Wabarktu,

Imam Jafar As Sadiq ayhi salam related a hadith as follows

"they people asked about eating the food of the the kiaffairs (inthis hadith non ahlul kitab) the imam repiled it was haram, the peopleasked to what extent was considred food, he said even if they bring you boiling water"

So this hadith would be the the basis in usool, for the fatwa of many marje, they rest are refering to extreme circumstances.

Allahumma Sale Ale Muhammad Wa Ale Muhammad

• Advanced Member

(salam)

That would mean eating out at Indian/Hindu Resturants or being invited at their home for food is totally FORBIDDEN! According to the hadith of the 6th Imam(as) :wacko:

Hmmmm

This is something to be very worried about! I think a lot of people especially muslims eat from Hindu places and we need to spread this message!

Otherwise we wil have haraam entering our bodies arruggghhh :unsure:

(salam)

I needed to clarify whether we can eat food prepared or cooked or served by Hindus/Sikhs?

Sometimes we are invited to restaurants that cater for the Hindu Vegetarian community... Can we participate and eat such food prepared by them? Either in their home or restaurants?

Please let me know ASAP

Thanks

(bismillah) Salaam, Its najis, u shouldnt eat it, unless you dont have anything else to eat and if you dont eat then u'll die. Wassalaam

• Advanced Member

As Salamu Aluikum Warahmantu Allah Wabarktu,

then the resteraunt is not halal, just like here if a resteraunt serves pork but has a halal sign the muslim community makes them take it down, those resteraunts should not hire hindus, who are neither ritually nor naturally pures, since they are not kafar-i-Kitabi, but kafir-i-mushrik, muslims and non muslims also can not be buried in the same graveyard, which i guess if this is going on in india that might be too.

Allahumma Sale Ale Muhammad Wa Ale Muhammad.

• 3 years later...
  • Basic Members

Sikhs and Hindus are different. Sikhism is a monotheistic religion whereas Hinduism is not. We are not allowed to eat food prepared by mushriks (people who do not believe in the oneness of God). Since Sikhs do believe in the oneness of God, then that excludes them from being mushriks. I have emailed Sistani and hope to gain some clarity.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...