Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

agnostic view point

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I have an agnostic professor who was never raised and brought up with any religion

background. Infact, he asks ' what is sin?'. he was never told that there is a god,

now he finds it hard to believe there is one and now he is 50 years old.

Now, if my agnostic professor chooses to acknowledge that maybe god does exist,

then does he need to believe in him as well ?

I told him that if he acknowledges god's existence, then by not believing him

he is rejecting his communications and therefore, ignoring him.

Trust me, no one likes to be ignored, not even god.

SA

• Advanced Member
I have an agnostic professor who was never raised and brought up with any religion

background. Infact, he asks ' what is sin?'. he was never told that there is a god,

SA

Agnostic viewpoint is "there's no proof that God does or doesn't exist". Or in other word, "God is unprovable by scientific (empirical) means".

If your professor is agnostic, I think he has this viewpoint.

If he believes God exists, than he's a theist.

SA

If one acknowledges God's existence/unity without 'imaan' (following God's Law/Scripture) then he will enter paradise eventually after being punished since there is a hadith that says the minimum requirement for entering paradise is the mere acknowledgment of God's Oneness. But this is provided one dies acknowledging God's unity. And what is meant here by knowledge is the knowledge based on self-evident reasons (which is not easy to acquire since the chances for error in using reason is extremely high).

People were created to worship God. Worshiping occurs when there is a reflection or manifestation of God's attributes. Everything from the heavens to earth sings the praise of God (as mentioned in Quran) because all of it (them) manifest God's attributes. God has merciful attributes as well wrathful attributes. So because ppl were created to worship this means that everyone, irrespective of them having imaan or not having imaan, manifests God's attributes. However there are different kinds of worshipers, they can be classified according to which attributes of God they manifest. the believers worship God by manifesting God's mercy, while the disbelievers worship God by manifesting God's wrath. Attributes of mercy include generosity, kindness, love, forgiveness, beauty ect.. All these attributes belong to God. And God is unknowable. Merely acknowledging that He exists is not sufficient since that does not help us manifest His merciful attributes. To manifest His merciful attributes is to know Him positively. To manifest His wrathful attributes is to not know Him in any positive sense. We can only know God positively through God Himself. And This means that we follow His Law or Scripture. The Scripture is not a Book of facts about God and about creation. It is a Book of rules. And this means that knowledge of God (for us) in a positive sense can only be but an unadulterated following of God's Laws.

• Advanced Member
If one acknowledges God's existence/unity without 'imaan' (following God's Law/Scripture) then he will enter paradise eventually after being punished since there is a hadith that says the minimum requirement for entering paradise is the mere acknowledgment of God's Oneness. But this is provided one dies acknowledging God's unity. And what is meant here by knowledge is the knowledge based on self-evident reasons (which is not easy to acquire since the chances for error in using reason is extremely high).

People were created to worship God. Worshiping occurs when there is a reflection or manifestation of God's attributes. Everything from the heavens to earth sings the praise of God (as mentioned in Quran) because all of it (them) manifest God's attributes. God has merciful attributes as well wrathful attributes. So because ppl were created to worship this means that everyone, irrespective of them having imaan or not having imaan, manifests God's attributes. However there are different kinds of worshipers, they can be classified according to which attributes of God they manifest. the believers worship God by manifesting God's mercy, while the disbelievers worship God by manifesting God's wrath. Attributes of mercy include generosity, kindness, love, forgiveness, beauty ect.. All these attributes belong to God. And God is unknowable. Merely acknowledging that He exists is not sufficient since that does not help us manifest His merciful attributes. To manifest His merciful attributes is to know Him positively. To manifest His wrathful attributes is to not know Him in any positive sense. We can only know God positively through God Himself. And This means that we follow His Law or Scripture. The Scripture is not a Book of facts about God and about creation. It is a Book of rules. And this means that knowledge of God (for us) in a positive sense can only be but an unadulterated following of God's Laws.

Beautiful!!

• Advanced Member

Imam Sadiq (a), “It is not the right of Allah upon the people that they should recognize Him before He introduces (Himself) unto them. It is the right of the creatures upon Allah that He introduces (Himself) unto them. It is the right of Allah upon the people that when Allah introduces Himself, they should accept Him.”

Tauheed of Shaikh Saduq p. 412, H. 7

Imam Sadiq (a), “It is not the right of Allah upon the people that they should recognize Him before He introduces (Himself) unto them. It is the right of the creatures upon Allah that He introduces (Himself) unto them. It is the right of Allah upon the people that when Allah introduces Himself, they should accept Him.”

Tauheed of Shaikh Saduq p. 412, H. 7

Subhanallah.