Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
SNaqvi1214

Ahzab 33

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

[ Shakir 33:33 ] And stay in your houses and do not display your finery like the displaying of the ignorance of yore; and keep up prayer, and pay the poor-rate, and obey Allah and His Messenger. Allah only desires to keep away the uncleanness from you, O people of the House! and to purify you a (thorough) purifying.

"Allah (sawt) is removing evil deeds and sins ( ArRijs) and is purifying them with a thorough purification"

[ http://www.shiacrescent.com/2009/07/03/reb...-on-surah-3333/ ]

I'm not questioning the validity of this, I am asking for an explanation to better my understanding.

How is it possible to purify that which is already pure?

(salam)

As-Sallamu-Alaykom,

Since it was my article that was referenced I think it best I take a crack at an answer for you, but I would love the input of others since I may be wrong and I hope that others will correct me if I am wrong.

I blame no one but myself for this statement

'' Allah (sawt) is removing evil deeds and sins (ArRijs) and is purifying them with a thorough purification".

The translation of the verse mistranslated one of the most important parts of the verse, I do not hold the translator to blame, I hold myself accountable for not going into detail on the Arabic, but only focusing of the grammatical tenses which were used.

The transliteration of the verse is this, and here I will highlight the words which were mistranslated so you may get a better understanding, and so I may learn from my own mistakes.

033:033] Waqarna fee buyootikunna wala tabarrajna tabarruja aljahiliyyati al-oola waaqimna alssalata waateena alzzakata waatiAAna Allaha warasoolahu innama yureedu Allahu liyuthhiba AAankumu alrrijsa ahla albayti wayutahhirakum tatheeran.

So the word liyuthhiba should be translated as: To keep you away from (AAankumu)

With this said the proper translation should say that Allah (sawt) desires to keep you (plural) AWAY FROM sin, rather than saying (as most translation say) to purify you FROM SIN.

In addition the word AAankumu is being used her not Minkum, so Keep sins away from you, rather than saying cleaning the sins from you.

As-Sallamu-Alaykom and I hope I answered your question. 

Barak Allah feek and I almost made the same mistake by saying: Al-Mutahherren (The Purified) which is wrong instead of the correct one which is Taahireen (ThePure).

Salam

Ali