Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Sa'd elhariri is the next prime minister

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam,

Whatever they say about Sa'd , I see him a good and wise man , inaddition he was born and golden spoon in his mouth . I think he will raise Lebanon economy and will make peace inshallah .

I hope hizbullah or Sayid Hassan put his hand on his hand instead of criticising him all the time like Fuad essaniorah .

• Advanced Member
Salam,

Whatever they say about Sa'd , I see him a good and wise man , inaddition he was born and golden spoon in his mouth . I think he will raise Lebanon economy and will make peace inshallah .

I hope hizbullah or Sayid Hassan put his hand on his hand instead of criticising him all the time like Fuad essaniorah .

Sayid Hassan is the Only REAL ARAB LEADER of all arabic country.

Saad is a Saudi arabian barbie and Sanyoura an american one

you must be one of those who saad el hariri bought

who said ?Sayid Hassan is the Only REAL ARAB LEADER of all arabic country.

you would be surprised how his popularity is falling and is becoming hatred.nasrallah appears more and more as he really is ,i think in the future the lebanese shias will regret their support to him.

i agree with yonus ,hariri is far from being perfect ,but in the lebanese context and its realities,the liberal he is ,he seems not bad choice ,even if i would prefer to see najib mikati as pm for now.

the lebanese shias should stop to behave like sheeps and instead think for an alternative to berri and nasrollah,they could be a source of danger for their future in the environment in which they live.I think for example to Brahim Chamseddine ,a gentleman.

Edited by Omar Khayyam
  • Advanced Member
who said ?Sayid Hassan is the Only REAL ARAB LEADER of all arabic country.

you would be surprised how his popularity is falling and is becoming hatred.nasrallah appears more and more as he really is ,i think in the future the lebanese shias will regret their support to him.

i agree with yonus ,hariri is far from being perfect ,but in the lebanese context and its realities,the liberal he is ,he seems not bad choice ,even if i would prefer to see najib mikati as pm for now.

the lebanese shias should stop to behave like sheeps and instead think for an alternative to berri and nasrollah,they could be a source of danger for their future in the environment in which they live.I think for example to Brahim Chamseddine ,a gentleman.

The only reason you oppose sayyid hassan is because his shia so dont come on this board and lecture us on who to follow, you are a disgrace to islam and a fitna mongerer. The time shia's and alot of sunnis will stop supporting sayyid hassan is when hell freezes over.

Who do you want us to follow? sunni's like hosni mubarak? king abdullah of jordan? king abdullah of KSA?

sayyid hassan is the only real arab leader.

always, yonus is also a saudi shia ,and he shares a close opinion than mine on this matter.

it's not a religious problem ,we disagree with christians and jews but they always lived among us in the arab and muslim worlds ,because they refused to be as fifth column for foreigner forces.

as for nasrollah,follower of the iranian security apparatuses ,he is not better than rulers like mubarak and king of jordan ,all of those are bad.

and btw ,nowadays ,chavez is more popular than nasrollah in the arab world,so dont be deluded by the same people who loved nasrollah ,love saddam and bin laden as you know the people are naive,anyoen who says some words against the west he becomes popular.

as for the leb shias,playing the wilayat faqih pasdaran is not nice and very silly ,so are not our muslim and arab cultures.

it's time for the modern and sophisticated shias in lebanon to show themselves.

or do you lack of such people ,i doubt....

and btw ,i have no hatred towards the shias as people ,even the rafida among them .

Edited by Omar Khayyam
  • Advanced Member

^Probably the most ignorant, backwards-minded, and quite frankly idiotic comment ever posted in this forum. Both you and yonus should just keep quiet, seriously. I felt embarrassed for you just reading it!

Edited by Mirsad

why am i an idiot if i speak my mind?you have to take into account the opinion of the "others".

mirsad ,as the propaganda machine of totalitarian regimes is better.

i repeat ,the lebanese shias are in strong need of an educated and modern civil society as the other communities have,if not they would remain marginalized.

hezbollah and amal monopoly on this community is problematic.

• Advanced Member
why am i an idiot if i speak my mind?you have to take into account the opinion of the "others".

i repeat ,the lebanese shias are in strong need of an educated and modern civil society as the other communities have,if not they would remain marginalized.

You aren't an idiot, but your comments certainly were extremely idiotic, vastly unenlightened, and actually quite insulting. Here's why:

Lebanese Shi'as are just as well educated as any other sect in Lebanon if not more so, they are an integral part of Lebanon's civil society, and even though they are marginalized within the political system by a dysfunctional and deeply sectarian system (which nothing but an amendment to the constitution will change), they aren't marginalized in terms of political power, and are in fact the most powerful political force on the ground. In fact, politically speaking, the Lebanese Christians are far more marginalized than Lebanese Shi'as are, even though the state neglects Shi'a communities more uniformly and broadly in terms of development and government services. Modernity and education has abolutely nothing to do with marginalization in Lebanon. The problem in Lebanon is mainly the system, because it is a sectarian one.

Also, Hezbollah and Amal claim absolutely no monopoly on the Shi'a community on Lebanon, and they have never done so. But the election results spoke for themselves. Hezbollah's and Amal's candidates won by the most massive margins anywhere in Lebanon (tens of thousands of votes within narrow electoral discricts), whereas those who ran against their candidates on average received less than 1000 votes. So it is the Shi'a community that have chosen Hezbollah and Amal to represent them in the democratic process - not Hezbollah and Amal who are imposing a monopoly over Lebanese Shi'as.

Thirdly, your blatant and quite frankly ignorant characterization of Sayyed Nasrallah as a follower of Iranian security apparatus shows just how un-nuanced and prejudiced your almost non-existent understanding of Hezbollah is. And to compare him with Mubarak and Abdullah is a confirmation of this.

Fourthly, your comment about "modern" and "sophisticated" Shi'as is deeply insulting and enormously ignorant, because you are practically characterizing the Shi'a community in Lebanon into "classes", not based on their culture, the aspects of their community, their education levels, or their socio-political ideology -- but based on their political affiliation to Hezbollah. You are essentially saying that those who support Hezbollah (which is about 95% of the Shi'a community in Lebanon) are not "modern" or "sophisticated", but those who don't support Hezbollah are. This is not only a highly prejudiced, irrational, non-methodological, and brazenly arrogant characterization, but it is also an assault on Lebanon's Shi'a community, and you aught to apologize for spewing such ignorant nonsense. And to follow it up with "or do you lack such people", was just cynical and wicked, just as your previous comment that called Lebanese Shi'as "sheep" was unforgivably uncivilized and appallingly conceited - and it reveals much about you as an individual.

You claim that you have no hatred towards Shi'as, "even the rafida among them" (which, btw, is a highly insulting and hate-filled statement), but everything you say reeks of unabashed resentment and unapologetic hate and prejudice towards Shi'as in Lebanon, based on parameters that are so superficial, so fabricated, so delusional, so perverted, so imaginative and detached from reality, that one has to wonder whether you live in the real world.

Also, don't lecture me on considering the opinions of others. If you had actual opinions that weren't drenched and entrenched in prejudice, false characterizations, bias, and brazen arrogance, and were at least remotely reasonable and thoughtful then I would have a dialogue with you on your opinions. But you can't spew ignorant garbage and pass that off as an opinion, because it is nothing more than an assault. If you though you could get away with it, then let me inform you, you were greatly mistaken.

And btw, think very carefully about how you respond. You've already insulted my community and assaulted Lebanese Shi'as in the most insensitive and arrogant terms - so I'm not going to be very lenient with you. Furthermore, I'm much more intelligent than you, I'm considerably more thoughtful and clever than you, I'm much better educated than you, my language and ability to articulate vastly is superior to yours, and my understanding of Lebanon's history, society, cultures, traditions, and politics is extremely sophisticated and nuanced. You obviously know very little about Lebanon - much less than you think you know. So in layman's terms: don't mess with me unless you want to get pawned.

Edited by Mirsad
  • Advanced Member

And who represents these other communities that the Shi'a must emulate? Are you referring to the Sunnis, whose northern regions are strife with economic poverty unmatched anywhere else in Lebanon? Should the Shi'a of Lebanon emulate the Sunnis living in Akkar who boast a 57% "extreme poverty" ratio and have the most backwards living standards in all of Lebanon? What about the pro-al-Qaida representatives coming out of Minnieyeh? Should the Shi'a emulate the feudalism and exclusionary practices of the Maronite Christians and Druze? Apparently, these are the communities that represent the highly educated, civil society. These are the same communities that have been governed by feudalism for generations and who are fine and happy with a "strong and unified" Lebanon insofar as the other religions stay outside of their communities. Perhaps we should cave in to As'ad's Free Shi'a Movement whose rhetoric divides the Shi'a into those of the Northern Beka'a versus the South. Perhaps we should fix up our cafes, develop our bars and nightclubs and live a free and civilized lifestyle. Even though we would be living under hegemony, we would nevertheless get to enjoy our nice clothes and SUVs.

You have yet to point out which strata of Lebanese society is highly educated and civil. Your comments nevertheless prove how ignorant you are about Lebanese politics and society. To be clear, Hezbollah and Amal are two different parties. They have different roots, different representatives and follow different scholars. However, what the two parties have done is reconcile their differences for the sake of the Shi'a community. They have come together and have moved forward for the sake of the Shi'a community and Lebanon as a whole. If Hezbollah and Amal were to run against each other, you would see huge divisions in the Shi'a community. This unity has allowed the Shi'a of Lebanon to tread the floods of marginalization. I suppose you support the "civilized era" of the 1950s - the same era that essentially defined Lebanese society. It defined Lebanese society because it showed that, despite the nationalist rhetoric, every sect benefiting from the financial successes of the era remained self-interested and deeply feudal. The South, North and Beka'a were completely neglected by a state that refused to act. It is these conditions that marginalized the Shi'a population. This marginalization has nothing to do with your Iran rhetoric, which you once again fail to understand. You don't even seem to understand what Wilayah al-Faqih is, so what is the point in discussing it further?

You have every right to criticize Shi'a politics inside Lebanon. But perhaps you should approach this subject with more information. Lebanon is a horrendous country with no state apparatus, no unity, no cohesion and no civil society. Come take a drive in Lebanon and tell me where you'd find civilized society. If 3/4 of the drivers on these roads are not able to pass a standardized road test in a developed country, what makes you so certain that we have any civil society worthy of emulating? You think these poor conditions are the fault of the Shi'a? Why have you not condemned the feudal warlords and families that continue to rule the regions? Why have you not condemned the actions of "Israel"? You are so quick to condemn the Shi'a population, yet you have no understanding of their history or their movement towards political cohesion and away from marginalization and poverty.

• Veteran Member
Wise otherwise you would see great killing in Beirut between sunnah and shia .

No, my brother.

Sunnis are militarily in no position to confront the Shias in Lebanon. The "future movement" did try to do so, but werent able to defend themselves and West Beirut even for a few hours.

The only reason for relative peace between the shias and sunnis in Lebanon is due to constraint shown by the Hezbollah. Shias do not want to rule Lebanon, but rather defend the Lebanese from Israeli aggression, and Seyyed Hassan Nasrallah has made this crystal clear.

Ma'salaam

• Advanced Member
Sunnis are militarily in no position to confront the Shias in Lebanon. The "future movement" did try to do so, but werent able to defend themselves and West Beirut even for a few hours.

It is not good to say that about your brothers sunnis , if sunnis need weapon his ocean of sunnis will sink him with weapons .

• Advanced Member
It is not good to say that about your brothers sunnis , if sunnis need weapon his ocean of sunnis will sink him with weapons .

Just like the palestinian sunni's who are swimming in a ocean of weapons? give me a break you got no idea. Lets see what hariri can load up the lebanese army in the next 4 years with proper weapons if he really cares about lebanon.

No one here is against sunni's we are against people like omar khayyam who has pure hate for shia.

• Advanced Member

Any way I think sayid Hassan will name Saad as prime minister especially if they met each other . Nabih berry for sure will name saad because saad named him as parliament manager including he is majority leader .

• Advanced Member
Any way I think sayid Hassan will name Saad as prime minister especially if they met each other . Nabih berry for sure will name saad because saad named him as parliament manager including he is majority leader .

Parliament manager? What's that? If you're referring to the Speaker of Parliament position. Nabih Berri has been elected but apparently half of Hariri's parliamentary bloc voted blank.

Hariri is the next Prime minister. It's sure. But this does not mean he's wise.

• Advanced Member
Parliament manager? What's that? If you're referring to the Speaker of Parliament position. Nabih Berri has been elected but apparently half of Hariri's parliamentary bloc voted blank.

Hariri is the next Prime minister. It's sure. But this does not mean he's wise.

hariri tried to arm the people before against the hizb and the hizb still flushed them out in a couple of hours, now he has bought his supporters but money can only buy you so much... what is he planning on doing in the next election spend another 500 million? even sayyid hassan said as a joke give us the money and we would have given him our votes...

• Advanced Member
Parliament manager?

I have written in my google translater ÑÆíÓ ÇáÈÑáãÇä and I got Speaker of Parliament but I didn't believe it so I wrote manager .

"In case Hariri is designated premier at the end of the deliberations, we will cooperate with an open mind to continue the dialogue launched last night between him and Sayyed Nasrallah," the head of Hizbullah's parliamentary bloc Mohammed Raad said.

He said Hizbullah was ready to cooperate with Hariri "over the formation of a national consensus government."

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I would like to remember some people that palestine is majoritary sunni. Remember what happen in the last Gaza war ?

What was the position of the egyptian pig mubarak ? sunni

What was the position of the saudi arabian ? sunni

What was the position of Jordian ? and also... a sunni

The only guys who supported them was a Shia : Sayed Hassan Nasrallah

(salam)

Edited by leb_cool
  • Advanced Member
even sayyid hassan said as a joke give us the money and we would have given him our votes...

Lol ! This is true and ( man lahu 7eelah fal ya7taal ) Who has a ploy let him defraud .

Money is good and Saad is not bad .

• Advanced Member
And Iran too gave Hamas moral support.

In all honesty, you cant blame the sunni population. Rather, its the nationalist dictators such as Mubarak, who call themselves sunnis, but the only thing they care about is power and money.

You know, egyptian , saudi arabian and kingdom country are never going to be free if there is no sacrifice.

Yes you can blame the population because its enough now. What will happen if 5 million person of those country go out and make revolution !! Some will die, but the dictator army cannot kill 5 millions person !! nothing happen without sacrifice , same for jordan, saudi arabian and gulf country.

• Advanced Member

i think its good hariri becomes next prime minister.. we want lebanon to return to what it was pre-2005. the lebanon which was prosperous and peaceful. for gods sake this struggle of power has gone too far and lebanon needs to become the geneva or paris of the middle east once again. all this fighting has taken them no where, like in 1975-1990. so lets not repeat mistakes and i hope every part over there settles all the issues peacefully in order to prosper as a nation. nasrallah , in my opinion, is a good man so he knows that its time to let things continue and make way for a bigger picture. iran has being playing lebanon as a puppet for far too long, and israel took that to their advantage of turning it into another warfare back in 2006. and it all came to nothing.

• Veteran Member
i think its good hariri becomes next prime minister.. we want lebanon to return to what it was pre-2005. the lebanon which was prosperous and peaceful. for gods sake this struggle of power has gone too far and lebanon needs to become the geneva or paris of the middle east once again. all this fighting has taken them no where, like in 1975-1990. so lets not repeat mistakes and i hope every part over there settles all the issues peacefully in order to prosper as a nation. nasrallah , in my opinion, is a good man so he knows that its time to let things continue and make way for a bigger picture. iran has being playing lebanon as a puppet for far too long, and israel took that to their advantage of turning it into another warfare back in 2006. and it all came to nothing.

Lebanon "Pre-2005"? You mean, an American and Saudi puppet?

You are right, fighting for power and control wont take Lebanon no where, and Hezbollah has realised this, but it is time that March 14 and their allies realise that the opposition have a popular majority, and hence they deserve a veto power.

Stop being pathetic though, Iran has nothing to do with all this. All that the media feeds into you is ''Iran'', ''interferance'', ''puppet'', and it is unfortunate that you really believe the propoganda.

Ma'salaam

• Advanced Member

propaganda my backside, iran has been interferring the same way america and its western allies have, only differently and for different factions.

american and saudi puppet? let them be, who bloody cares? theres prosperity, theres growth and theres peace. and above all that, lebanese have always been lebanon first. so if you deny hezbollah being influenced by iranians, dont say the other side is american-backed.

anyway what are you lebanese? most lebanese today will throw a brick at anyone who says "lets not be puppets". they just want to have their country back, which was hijacked since 2005's killing of rafik hariri.

• Veteran Member

How has iran exactly been interfering in Lebanon? Please be specific

Or, are you just repeating the pan-arab/zionist media slogans about the supposed Iranian interfearance in the "Arab world"?

Yes, Iran did help set up Hezbollah in the 1980s, but it doesnt mean that there are Iranian agents dictating the terms for Hezbollah. Meanwhile, I cant say the same for "March 14" and the "Future movement" regarding their masters in Riyadh and Washington.

• Advanced Member

who cares? honestly who cares?

so what if theyre backed. i just hate double standards.

if theyre backed by the west, so be it.

as if the iranian government in 1979 wasnt backed by america secretly.

lebanon needs to become that bright, fantastic country it once was before and after the civil war. those days were sweet, nobody gave a [Edited Out] what sect, religion or football team you belonged to. it was lebanon of the lebanese.

2005 lebanon was lebanon of the anti-syrian, pro-syrian, anti-west, pro-west, anti-iran, pro-iran and all that other [Edited Out] that fell on their heads.

• Veteran Member
as if the iranian government in 1979 wasnt backed by america secretly.

lebanon needs to become that bright, fantastic country it once was before and after the civil war. those days were sweet, nobody gave a [Edited Out] what sect, religion or football team you belonged to. it was lebanon of the lebanese.

2005 lebanon was lebanon of the anti-syrian, pro-syrian, anti-west, pro-west, anti-iran, pro-iran and all that other [Edited Out] that fell on their heads.

You are making more absurb claims again, without backing yourself up. I wonder what news channels you watch.

Having neighbours like Israel, the only way for the Lebanon become a "fantastic" country again is through resistance and having an anti-imperialistic alliance, and Hezbollah is exactly doing that.

Begging up to the West will only lead to ones own humiliation. For instance, lets take Mahmoud Abbas, head of the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank. Despite Mahmoud Abbas doing everything to secure a state for the Palestinians, the Israeli government is still rapidy expanding its settlements in the West Bank.

From PressTV: "In a new move to expand illegal settlements of the occupied West Bank, Israel has ordered the registration of nearly 14-thousand hectares of land adjacent to its largest settlement."

Im sure, the Zionists wouldnt mind grabbing more Lebaneese land, but brother, the only thing thats stopping them is active resistance, and we have to thank Hezbollah for that.

Ma'salaam

• Advanced Member
we want lebanon to return to what it was pre-2005. the lebanon which was prosperous and peaceful.

Lebanon was neither prosperous nor peaceful before 2005. Israel committed over 12,000 violations of Lebanese sovereignty between 2000 and 2005, including cross-border raids, kidnapping of citizens, and bombings. As for prosperous, during the Rafik Hariri era, between 1992 and 2004, Lebanon's national debt went from 4 billion to 40 billion.

for gods sake this struggle of power has gone too far and lebanon needs to become the geneva or paris of the middle east once again.

Lebanon was never the Geneva or Paris of the Middle East. What people refer to, when they use this false and inaccurate expression, is an era when Lebanon was in the hands of an elite sector of society dominated by a portion of the Maronite sect, and the government neglected the overwhelming majority of the Lebanese population and Lebanese people, who were mired in extreme poverty and illiteracy, and any development and government services catered only to a narrow class of Beiruti's.

Rafik Hariri represented for Lebanon the Sunni equivalent of that Maronite elitist era. He focused on developing Beirut, neglected the rest of the country - especially Shi'as - and increased the national debt ten-fold in doing so ... but not before laundering billions for himself in the process.

If there is one thing we will not allow, it is a return to this type of elitist mentality where priority is given on the basis of class instead of need, and economic policies that are so far to the right are pursued that they end up drowning the Lebanese people in debt, inflation, and unemployment - forcing many of the youth to emigrate.

nasrallah , in my opinion, is a good man so he knows that its time to let things continue and make way for a bigger picture.

Nasrallah is the only person in Lebanon who has ever dared to challenge the political status quo that I have described above, and the whole world waged war against him because of it ... and he still came out on top and prevented Hariri and his state sponsors from overtaking the country.

iran has being playing lebanon as a puppet for far too long, and israel took that to their advantage of turning it into another warfare back in 2006. and it all came to nothing.

I dare you to point to one specific example where Iran has interfered in Lebanon's internal affairs since 2005. I can name dozens of examples of blatant and outright Saudi, Egyptian, and US interference in Lebanese affairs during this time period.

• Advanced Member
propaganda my backside, iran has been interferring the same way america and its western allies have, only differently and for different factions.

american and saudi puppet?

Totally untrue. The US, Saudis, and Egyptians have been interfering openly and blatantly. The US embassador to Lebanon literally dictated to March 14, on tv, what they should and shouldn't do. Hariri spent more time in Saudi Arabia taking orders from the monarchy than he did in Lebanon doing anything useful. And Egypt had a direct hand in a lot of the political stages during the past 4 years, and its "mediators" were widely reported on and covered in the media.

This is massively different than supporting a party. If all the Americans, Saudis, and Egyptians did was throw money at March 14 and not dictate the red lines and policy issues, then Lebanon would have seen 4 years of internal peace.

theres prosperity, theres growth and theres peace.

No, there isn't. Lebanon's economy has been steadily in decline, not growth.

and above all that, lebanese have always been lebanon first. so if you deny hezbollah being influenced by iranians, dont say the other side is american-backed. anyway what are you lebanese? most lebanese today will throw a brick at anyone who says "lets not be puppets". they just want to have their country back, which was hijacked since 2005's killing of rafik hariri.

If this was true, Hariri wouldn't have been able to fly in tens of thousands if Lebanese to vote for his lists with Saudi money, and the results of the elections would have been different. The fact is that the Lebanese are a sectarian-minded people, and they are willing to not only to accept, but to justify and make excuses for the subservience of their sect-affiliated political parties for foreign interests. How else do you explain 80% support for Hariri, who just spent over a week in Saudi Arabia after the elections and came back with a miraculous reversal of attitude towards Hezbollah? Or 70% Druze support for Walid Jumblatt, who in the past 5 years has gone from a self-proclaimed socialist and Arab-nationalist, to a self-proclaimed democrat and best friend of Wasthington's neoconservatives, and back again to a self-proclaimed socialist and Arab-nationalist? Or Maronite support for a Patriarch that is obviously racist towards Muslims, or for political chiefs who have allied themselves with Israel in the past (Jeajea and Gemayel)?

Lebanese have never put Lebanon first. The only thing that has ever come first in Lebanon is sectarian considerations.

• Advanced Member

This is quite simply a false perversion of history. Lebanon was never a "fantastic" country, and the romanticized versions of it that you referring to are fabricated myths, completely detached from reality. The pre-civil war Lebanon was Lebanon of the elite. Lebanon of the ruling class Maronites. It was a deeply sectarian and elitist country, that neglected its people both on the basis of class and sect. The majority of people lived in poverty and ignorance; none more so than Shi'as. The only area that say prosperity was a portion of Beirut. Why do you think civil war broke out, and when it did the Shi'as largely stayed out of it (in the beginning)? Because it wasn't about them. They never had a stake to fight for. It was the changing demographics and the rules of class-struggle that governed the Lebanese civil war. An elite and primarily Christian sector of society held all the power, and Sunni Muslims were rising politically (backed by their growing demographics as opposed to declining Christian demographics) and they wanted an equal share of the pie. It wasn't about Palestinians. It was about class struggle, sectarian calculations, and clan-based ruling families wanting to assert their continued monopoly on political representation in the country, with regional and international elements eventually arbitrating the battles and conflicts as the civil war spread out of control.

Please go learn some history dude. What you're saying simply isn't true.

• Advanced Member

Mo: I advise you to read over Learned's posts.

It is in fact rather offensive to me and others like me when you refer to the peace and prosperity of pre-2005 Lebanon. It's also offensive when you refer to Lebanon as once being the Paris of the Middle East. I know it isn't your intention to be offensive, and nothing in your posts suggests that you are, but this blatant misinformation is contrary to the realities of Lebanon before and after the Civil War.

Lebanon is a non-state. It is simply the amalgamation of different groups of people under one banner. These different groups have different religions, histories and perceptions about social and political life. Drawing a line across the map does not unify them, nor does it give them a common objective to strive toward. Before you talk about the Paris of the Middle East you should take a look at the harsh realities the Lebanese faced outside of Beirut and some of the Mount Lebanon holdings where the feudal elite had prospered. Perhaps you should come talk to my illiterate grandparents and ask them about the Paris of the Middle East in South Lebanon. This concept is so misconstrued that I cannot help but be offended.

Even during Lebanon's peaceful and prosperous history, it was marred by clientelism, feudalism and a lack of government intervention. These features are rooted in the sectarian Lebanese populace. Even today, the self-proclaimed advocates of a strong, unified, nationalist and independent Lebanon are in reality feudal isolationists seeking to maintain the status-quo. Those in the March 14 camp are all for a unified and nationalist republic... just as long as the Shi'a remain in their regions, the Sunnis in theirs, the Druze in theirs and the Maronites in theirs. Anything less than this is an incursion on the feudalist and sectarian mindset.

If Hezbollah had shared this mindset, you would expect nothing less than prosperous conditions in the South and Northern Bek'aa. But Hezbollah's goals and aspirations go further than localized material gains. But when you consider Lebanese history, this is what drove the various factions in the mountains, cities and valleys. Lebanon represents a system of accumulation and domination. Don't be fooled by its size. Lebanon is a severely isolating place. You should come here and drive up to Hermel or parts of the South and tell me when there was ever government intervention. Tell me when the peace and prosperity of Lebanon's Paris-era permeated every region and strata of Lebanese society. Tell me where this peaceful state was between 1989 and 2000, where "Israel" continued to occupy Southern Lebanon. Do you think the "Israeli" occupation of Southern Lebanon affected the feudalists in the Mount and in the North?

Instead of working toward peace and prosperity, the Maronites in the North work for the Maronites in the North, just like the Sunnis in Beirut work for the Sunnis in Beirut, or the Druze of Aley work for the Druze of Aley. They fix up their streets, develop an elaborate night life and erect hotels for tourists. When you look at their regions, you cannot help but be impressed by their peaceful and prosperous lifestyle. But if you look deeper, you will realize that this is a society built on isolationism, sectarianism, feudalism, racism and disregard for the Lebanese state.

Lebanon is a horrible country. It has always been a horrible country.