Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Are sociopaths exempt?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member
As in people with antisocial personality disorder. Are they considered of sound mind to pray and whatnot?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brings back memories...... :lol:

Good question though. Try asking Ayatullah Sistani on, www.najaf.org

Edited by Basim Ali

In Gods Name

Peace be upon you

EVERY person, regardless of any diagnosis, is responsible for doing his or her BEST to perform his or her religious duties. If a person is actually unable, due to a physical or mental condition, to fulfill all his or her duties, this will surely be taken into account on the day of judgment, but no person, nobody here on shiachat and also no scholar can say everyone who has such and such diagnosis is exempted from their duties, because EACH person is unique. Some people with antisocial disorders can still function in society and are obligated to follow Islamic laws same as any person without a diagnosed condition. Others are unable to control their behaviors a significant part of the time. Some even need to be institutionalized or under constant supervision. Allah's justice is without bounds.

You said it! How did you do that? ... What is the sound of one hand clapping? :)

Allahs will shall be on earth independent of what one does or not. Because the day of judgment is exclusively His.

A little 'off topic', i just thought it was relevant.

Peace be with you, everyone. Thanks for you effort.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member
Okay, but sociopaths have no inner "moral compass". They can not care about what's right or wrong. No guilt, empathy, shame or love. They simply don't experience secondary emotions.

All mental disorders fall on a continuum - and there are no absolutes. The extent of what they can or cannot experience varies from individual to individual.

Edited by Maryaam

In Gods Name

I wouldn't be surprised if a sociopath posted something in here already.

Sociopaths are like potential apostles or believers.

Why do you frequently hear the argument; "He / it is not the word of a mad person" in the Quran?

As a matter of fact. Should a revolution or a miracle appear, i expect it to be by the hands of some 'psychotic' person.

The prophet Muhammed what frequently called a mad man (alternatively magician).

Peace

• Advanced Member

This is my view, as someone who works in the "mental health" field: Psychopathology, where a person supposedly has "no guilt, empathy, shame or love" - etc. is a western psychology concept, and is based on psychological testing . This is a very loaded term, and is used often in the prison system, and to screen out individuals from some security oriented jobs etc. And really even with the use of psychological testing, there are very few individuals who would fit the "psychopathology" diagnosis - and even then, such results can be misinterpreted ...

The problem here is trying to draw parallels with Islamic or Qur'an oriented "psychology" ---- where such parallels really do not exist. The Qur'an or Islamic "psychology" is heart centered - not "head" or "mind" --- as such the approach is different. Having said that, a person who has stopped caring about anything, that would be someone with a "hardened heart" - and it would be as a result of continuous *willful* "sinning" - It would seem to me that someone with a "hardened heart" is still responsible for ibadat, salaat, etc. - because they are able, if they so will, to complete these acts. .. On the other hand, someone with psychotic symptoms, voices, in rare cases, visual hallucinations, or bizaare delusions - may not actually have the capacity to actually complete these acts - but with medications, may, manage their symptoms enough so that they might be able to... I know that in the prison system in the US - there are mentally ill Muslims (in the US, about 50-60% of the prison population are seriously mentally ill ) do go to religious services - with the aid of medication.

So, what about those with a hardened heart, - well all is not lost - and indeed salaat, may lead to a softening of the heart - in this respect, the concept of "psychopathology" really does not exist in the Islamic view - As we know we are all born with the internal moral compass that points towards Tawheed - and only the world may make us deviate from that path - and thus harden the heart. In the societical level, it is everyone's responsibility to make sure that people are provided for - materially and spiritually in a way that people don't end up with a heart harder than stone... The individualistic western psychology tendency is to place the entire responsibility on the individual - Islam strives for a balance of both social and individual responsibility.

• Veteran Member
The problem here is trying to draw parallels with Islamic or Qur'an oriented "psychology" ---- where such parallels really do not exist. The Qur'an or Islamic "psychology" is heart centered - not "head" or "mind" --- as such the approach is different. Having said that, a person who has stopped caring about anything, that would be someone with a "hardened heart" - and it would be as a result of continuous *willful* "sinning" - It would seem to me that someone with a "hardened heart" is still responsible for ibadat, salaat, etc. - because they are able, if they so will, to complete these acts. ..

Pseudo science.

So, what about those with a hardened heart, - well all is not lost - and indeed salaat, may lead to a softening of the heart - in this respect, the concept of "psychopathology" really does not exist in the Islamic view

It doesn't have to.

• Advanced Member

Is there even such a thing as a true sociopath or is that a concoction of the movies? I wonder if these serial killer kind of sociopaths were possessed by jinn. If they were then maybe they are exempt unless they asked to be possessed. I think sociopaths are not exempt because in Islam to be exempt you cannot have the right mental capacity to understand certain things like what will harm you or get you in trouble. Schitzo people are really crazy because they will harm themselves or do crazy things that will get them in trouble in broad daylight in front of anyone even police. Sociopaths hide their evil deeds. They take precautions to not get caught and they know what they do is unacceptable. They sometimes want to get caught for the fame and the attention. They then cause more misery by toying with the minds of the families of those they killed. So I think they are just evil and like to play harmful games like the kind iblis plays. That is not mentally exempt that is just wicked.