Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

hijab in front of brother in law

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

so my question is regarding whether one has to wear hijab in front of her sister's husband.....i was told by a mawlana/sheikh that he is mehram to her, but once she gets married, he is not mehram and she has to wear hijab in front of him.

for example, i am single right now, so i dont have to wear it in front of my brother in law. but once i get married, i will have to wear it.

has anyone heard about this ruling or can anyone provide me with something more definitive?

Sis, I don't think I'm wrong when I say you must ALWAYS observe Hijab in front of any brother-in-law. Be it the Brother of your Husband or the Husband of your Sister.

Think about it logically and you won't need to consult a Mawlana.

You have to continue observing hijab in front of him. You being married or not is irrelevant.

The difference in the relationship between brothers/sisters in law and others, is that one cannot marry two sisters at the same time. So, in your case, it would be haram for you to marry your brother in law, while he is married to you sister. Should the marriage dissolve, then the other sister would be allowed to marry the man. This differs from say the relationship of the parents/children of the spouse, which become forever haram to marry. So, your brother in law would never be allowed to marry your mother, for instance, regardless of whether he would be married to your sister or not. With that relationship between then, your mother does not need to observe hijab (I mean in terms of covering her hair and such) in front of her son in law.

Edited by macisaac
Guest binte-ali

Very sad that girls regard hijab as something like a duty and something that is forced on them. A shame is the most beautiful trait of a woman. If u have that u will cover yourself even from your own father.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

The latest hilarious cultural fatwa I heard was that its ok to not be in hijab in front of your brother in law if your sister (his wife) is in front. :lol: Wow man magic fatwas conjured out of thin air.

• Advanced Member
Actually, her question is rather interesting.

The reason why a man can see his mother's hair, or his sister's hair, or aunts hair etc...is because they are forbidden for him, that is, they are haram for him. He can not marry them.

A man's sister in law is haram for him so long as he is married to her sister (i.e. his wife). So, by virtue of that, he can see her hair.

That is the logic that the Mawlana is using.

I know it is faulty some how, but I can't exactly pin point the error.

Anyone well versed in Usool?

If my cousin is married, she becomes haram for me, I cannot marry her. Does this mean she becomes my mahram? Marriage is haram with sister in law yes, but I don't think she becomes Mahram just because of that.

Edited by Nocturne
Guest Peace
Actually, her question is rather interesting.

The reason why a man can see his mother's hair, or his sister's hair, or aunts hair etc...is because they are forbidden for him, that is, they are haram for him. He can not marry them.

A man's sister in law is haram for him so long as he is married to her sister (i.e. his wife). So, by virtue of that, he can see her hair.

That is the logic that the Mawlana is using.

I know it is faulty some how, but I can't exactly pin point the error.

Anyone well versed in Usool?

You cannot use qiyas in coming up with rulings. It is haram to show your hair to your brother in law, being married or not yourself has no bearing on it. As an aside ajam - a man can never marry his aunt, mother or sister, he could after divorce eventually marry his former sister in law.

• Advanced Member

^Yep.

Surah al-Noor, verse 31:

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.

• Advanced Member
Question: I am a married man and live in a joint family system; my father, mother, grand father, my younger brother and my uncle live in my house; how about my wife's hijab in such a situation?

Answer: Your wife is Mahram to your father and grandfather only (and not to your uncle or brother).

Source:

1- Visit http://www.sistani.org/

2- Choose English

3- Click Q & A

4- Click H and then click Hijab

---

A brother in law is not considered Mahram so hijab has to be observed from him. Don't think there are exceptions by Marjas to this ruling. Just who is Mahram is defined by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi in his book

Hijab,The Muslim Womens Dress(Islamic or Cultural?)

10.Is the brother-in-law or a cousin included among the list of the people in whose presence a lady does not have to observe hijab? Is she allowed to shake their hands or hug them?

The brother-in-law or a male cousin is not included in that list and, therefore, it is obligatory upon a Muslim lady to observe hijab in their presence, and also it is not permissible for her to shake their hands or hug them. The reverse will apply to a Muslim man in relation to his sister-in-law or a female cousin.

THE MAHRAM

(IN WHOSE PRESENCE HIJAB IS NOT REQUIRED)

OF THE WOMAN

1. Father.

2. Grandfather.

3. Brother.

4. Father-in-law.

5. Husband.

6. Son.

7. Step-son.

8. Son-in-law.

9. Nephew.

10. Uncle (paternal).

11. Uncle (maternal).

12. Minor boy.

13. Women.

OF THE MAN

1. Mother.

2. Grandmother.

3. Sister.

4. Mother-in-law.

5. Wife.

6. Daughter.

7. Step-daughter.

8. Daughter-in-law.

9. Niece.

10. Aunt (paternal).

11. Aunt (maternal).

12. Minor girl.

13. Men.

• Advanced Member

2502. If a person wants that his sister-in-law (his brother's wife) may become his Mahram, he may contract a temporary Nikah with a suckling girl, for example, for two days, and during those two days, the wife of his brother may suckle that girl as mentioned in rule no. 2483. By so doing, she will become his mother-in-law, and thus be Mahram. But if the woman suckles the girl from his brother's milk, it is a matter of Ishkal.

lol from sistanis website