In the Name of God بسم الله

Jury Service in the U.S.

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alkoium,

Hope everybody is doing well, Inshallah. For a while now, I've been receiving letters from the court to attend jury service and I've been giving them valid execuses that for the time being I'm busy with school and work. But I can only use those execues for so long, because students are not exempt from jury service. I don't have any plans in getting in trouble with the law, and I know is JS is taken very seriously.

I've heard from some people that participating in Jury Service is haram; now I don't have any intentions of doing jury service, actually I'm hoping for a religious reason not to go. If you have a religious reason, you actually are exempt from going. I tried to find online rulings from Ayotallah Sistani regarding this issue, but I couldn't find anything.

I was wondering if anybody knew any ruling concerning this. I would really appreciate it :)

• Advanced Member
Salaam Alkoium,

Hope everybody is doing well, Inshallah. For a while now, I've been receiving letters from the court to attend jury service and I've been giving them valid execuses that for the time being I'm busy with school and work. But I can only use those execues for so long, because students are not exempt from jury service. I don't have any plans in getting in trouble with the law, and I know is JS is taken very seriously.

I've heard from some people that participating in Jury Service is haram; now I don't have any intentions of doing jury service, actually I'm hoping for a religious reason not to go. If you have a religious reason, you actually are exempt from going. I tried to find online rulings from Ayotallah Sistani regarding this issue, but I couldn't find anything.

I was wondering if anybody knew any ruling concerning this. I would really appreciate it :)

if jury service is haraam it is probably haraam to live in the US as well. why do you think it is haraam?

Salaam Alkoium,

You are severely mistaken.

There is no religious objection to jury service. Actually, justice is, as you will recall, related to one of the roots of our faith, adalat.

Jury service is part of the justice system in the US, and service for those selected is required by law.

It is a well known ruling of Islamic law that we are required to follow the law of the country in which we live.

By this principle, jury service is not haram, but wajib if you are selected for it.

• 14 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Bumping this thread to see if theres any more info from other members.

I know that we are supposed to follow the laws of the country we live in and how important justice is in Islam ..i just wonder about cases where things like abortion (legal in US yet only permitted under specific situations in Islam) premarital relations, when someone is under the influence of drugs or alcohol or any other islamically impermissible action has occurred in the case play a role...how do we judge? Either we "ok/dismiss" the actions based on the rules of where we are which allow such behavior, or we allow our spiritual laws to govern our decision of the person we are judging when they themselves arent muslim..yet we are held to account for all our actions and decisions to the atoms weight during judgement day.

Personally, im very uncomfortable being in this position...and no, moving away isnt an option with my current and ongoing situation.

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, PureExistence1 said:

Bumping this thread to see if theres any more info from other members.

I know that we are supposed to follow the laws of the country we live in and how important justice is in Islam ..i just wonder about cases where things like abortion (legal in US yet only permitted under specific situations in Islam) premarital relations, when someone is under the influence of drugs or alcohol or any other islamically impermissible action has occurred in the case play a role...how do we judge? Either we "ok/dismiss" the actions based on the rules of where we are which allow such behavior, or we allow our spiritual laws to govern our decision of the person we are judging when they themselves arent muslim..yet we are held to account for all our actions and decisions to the atoms weight during judgement day.

Personally, im very uncomfortable being in this position...and no, moving away isnt an option with my current and ongoing situation.

I have never been called for jury duty but thought they screen people for religiousnand other biases that would make them unfit? Since you have a religious bias you probably won't make the cut, which is the ideal situation.