Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Nafilah of Zuhr and Asr Prayers

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I have a question regarding the Nafilah of Zuhr and Asr prayers. When is the time to pray them?

I thought that they were to be prayed inbetween the time of Fajr and Zuhr, however I was searching online and it stated that the nafilahs are to be performed during the time of Zuhr. Can anyone explain any rulings of the Marja's upon this matter?

Also, say if I do the 8 rakats of the nafilah of Zuhr at the time of Zuhr before the wajib Zuhr Prayer. That in turn, will delay the wajib Zuhr prayer, would the wajib of the Zuhr prayer be worth less due to the delay in time?

Same with Asr.

Edited by Tayyeb_Jaan
  • Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

I have a question regarding the Nafilah of Zuhr and Asr prayers. When is the time to pray them?

I thought that they were to be prayed inbetween the time of Fajr and Zuhr, however I was searching online and it stated that the nafilahs are to be performed during the time of Zuhr. Can anyone explain any rulings of the Marja's upon this matter?

Also, say if I do the 8 rakats of the nafilah of Zuhr at the time of Zuhr before the wajib Zuhr Prayer. That in turn, will delay the wajib Zuhr prayer, would the wajib of the Zuhr prayer be worth less due to the delay in time?

Same with Asr.

Here is Ayatollah Sistani's ruling on the timing of the nafilah prayers for Zuhr and Asr, from what I have read this is similar to other maraje's verdicts, though I can't say with certainty that it is all the maraje's opinion.

776. * The Zuhr Nafilah is offered before Zuhr prayers. Its time is from the commencement of the time of Zuhr, up to the time when the shadow of indicator equals 2/7th of its length. For example, if an indicator is 7 yards long, and the shadow appearing after Zuhr reaches 2 yards, the Nafilah time would end. He should now offer Zuhr prayers.

777. * The Asr Nafilah are offered before Asr prayers, and its time is till the moment when the shadow of an indicator appearing after Zuhr, reaches of 4/7th of its length.

In case a person wishes to offer Zuhr and Asr Nafilah after their recommended time, he can offer the Zuhr Nafilah after Zuhr prayers, and the Asr Nafilah after Asr prayers, but as a precaution, he will not make niyyat of Ada or Qadha.

In terms of the lengths being 2/7 and 4/7, my understanding that you can just take the total time between midday and maghrib and figure out what the time would be that corresponds to that proportion and that is how much time you have for the nafilah's. Also, Zuhr's awwal waqt is from midday until the 2/7 of the time between midday and maghrib has elapsed, so there is plenty of time to do the nafilah and pray zuhr in the prime time.

• Advanced Member
In terms of the lengths being 2/7 and 4/7, my understanding that you can just take the total time between midday and maghrib and figure out what the time would be that corresponds to that proportion and that is how much time you have for the nafilah's. Also, Zuhr's awwal waqt is from midday until the 2/7 of the time between midday and maghrib has elapsed, so there is plenty of time to do the nafilah and pray zuhr in the prime time.

(salam)

Thanks

• 6 years later...
  • Basic Members
On 29/5/2009 at 7:33 AM, Ya Imam-e-Zamana Adrikni said:

No!! what it means by 2/7 and 4/7 is :
- when the Shakhis is well uprightly inserted, and its shadow's lengths reaches 2/7 of its lengths, then, time prescribed for zuhr nalifah is over.
- And when the Shakhis' shadow reaches 4/7 of Sharkhis' lengths, then, time prescribed for Asr nalifah begin.

There is no mention of dividing the remaining time between zuhr and magrib into 7 parts

• Advanced Member
On 2/22/2016 at 5:14 AM, Salman Kadheem said:

No!! what it means by 2/7 and 4/7 is :
- when the Shakhis is well uprightly inserted, and its shadow's lengths reaches 2/7 of its lengths, then, time prescribed for zuhr nalifah is over.
- And when the Shakhis' shadow reaches 4/7 of Sharkhis' lengths, then, time prescribed for Asr nalifah begin.

There is no mention of dividing the remaining time between zuhr and magrib into 7 parts

You're right brother. Scholars meant by  "indicator" a kind of object installed to realize the time of zuhr prayer. As you know when the shadow of an indicator reaches its minimum size and starts to lengthen,you have reached Zuhr time and you are allowed to perform zuhr.(There is no mention of "midday" as criterion for Zuhr prayer in Fiqhi Books.)

And you're allowed to offer nafilah from the beginning of this time until the shadow reaches 2/7 of its length. And afterward Zuhr prayer is to be offered. From the time Zuhr prayer finishes until the shadow reaches 4/7 of indicator's length you're allowed to pray Asr nafilah and then Asr wajib prayer.

To approximate the prescribed criterion,2/7 of indicator's length would be about (less or more) 30 minutes.

This the way the prophet usually offered his prayers and there is no problem to put off your zuhr prayer until nafilah are performed. But it is narrated in some hadiths to offer nafilah faster so you would acknowledge Zuhr time more.