Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Fat or not?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hmmmm

i'd say perfect :P

i noticed that most ppl r fatter in their own eyes, but u cant believe ppl when they say u r fat or skiny coz some say it 2 either upset u or lift ur spirit

i guess we'll have 2 trust the scale.. But u cant even trust that..

So there isnt a way 2 prove ur weight :s

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(bismillah) (salam)

Alhamdolillah I am growing like a tree, there is only one problem. People think I am thin because I don't eat when I am not hungry and I keep growing so all my fats are going into my growth or something..

(wasalam)

Exactly same here. ^_^

• Veteran Member

It is more accurate to calculate your BMI to determine whether you are overweight. Fat or slim is subjective.

Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women.

Enter your weight and height using Standard or Metric measures on the figure on http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi

Click on "Compute BMI" and your BMI will appear in the heart of the figure.

BMI Categories:

Underweight = <18.5

Normal weight = 18.5-24.9

Overweight = 25-29.9

Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

It is a pretty broad range. For my height, normal weight is any where from 111 (50.5 kg) pounds to 149 (67.7 kg) pounds. So this is still subjective and accounts for variations in body type.

For me, I have been 111 and not felt my best at this weight. I have not been 149, but i dont think my frame would cope well with this weight..

It is best to go with the BMI and once you are in the normal weight range (if you are now in the underweight or overweight range), go by how you feel.

• Advanced Member
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women.

yea its more accurate in women and maybe some girly men but gives a false impression of obesity in men who are muscular B)

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/64577.php

• Veteran Member
yea its more accurate in women and maybe some girly men but gives a false impression of obesity in men who are muscular B)

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/64577.php

Girly men?? LOL ........................................Is that an insult to girls?? :donno:

I know that my BMI flucuates with the amount of muscle on my body due to whatever activities, but did not want to mention that as it gets complicated. But doesnt the wide range in each BMI category accomodate the average muscley-type body of a guy.

For a normal 6 foot guy - his BMI could be anywhere from 137 pounds to 184 pounds. That is within the normal range isnt it?

If a person is extremely muscled I think it would make a difference. But at that point he is probably using other methods to determine fat.

Wen eva me n ma bro hav an argument he alwayz sez "Atleast am growing upwards unlike yu whoz growing sidewayz " :dry:

Tell him there is less oxygen up there and he is losing brain cells by the hour.

• Advanced Member
It is more accurate to calculate your BMI to determine whether you are overweight. Fat or slim is subjective.

Enter your weight and height using Standard or Metric measures on the figure on http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi

According to this I'm underweight :unsure: but not massively if I put a stone on I should be ok! :D

Thanks for the link

• Veteran Member
my Bmi is 21.2 according to that website. man i've been losing some weight though in the last few weeks since i cut out fruit juices so that i can drink more water and i cut out cereal so that i can eat more oatmeal.

That is good. A friend of mine cut out fruit juices and cafe drinks and lost weight too. She now only drinks water - sometimes with lemon. I have read that you should not drink anything that has calories in it as it turns straight to glycogen. Funny how a little change can make such a difference.

• Advanced Member
Girly men?? LOL ........................................Is that an insult to girls?? :donno:

:lol: nah not really

I know that my BMI flucuates with the amount of muscle on my body due to whatever activities, but did not want to mention that as it gets complicated. But doesnt the wide range in each BMI category accomodate the average muscley-type body of a guy.

For a normal 6 foot guy - his BMI could be anywhere from 137 pounds to 184 pounds. That is within the normal range isnt it?

Yes, and this wide range does accommodate the average individual but as we know, muscle is denser than fat (meaning a pound of muscle takes up less space (volume) than a pound of fat) for example two persons could be the same height & weight, but one could be slimmer than the other, because he has more muscle tissue and less fat than the other. So yea BMI is a good indicator (i.e it only "indicates") but its not without its own limitations when it comes to muscular men (and nowadays those freaky muscular women).

If a person is extremely muscled I think it would make a difference. But at that point he is probably using other methods to determine fat.

True. Using gadgets like "body fat monitors" is a good way for ppl with buffed up bodies (or anyone else for that matter) to measure their body fat percentage. Most of these gadgets use bioelectrical impedance analysis technology. They work by sending a low level electrical signal through the body from two footpads on the scales. The signal passes more quickly through muscle than fat due to its high water content. The monitor analyzes the readings from this signal with stored personal data (height, weight, gender etc.) This information is converted to a body fat percentage within seconds.

Men should try to keep their body fat about 15% or less. For women its recommended no more than 22 % and if a woman has a slightly higher body fat % like 24 or 25% then thats also good but not exactly perfect. Athletes usually have much lower body fat levels esp. male long distance runners can have as low as 7 %. And female runners about 14%. Thats really lean and gymnasts & bodybuilders have even lower levels.

5' 5''

290 lbs.

48 waist.

Not too big. :angel:

petite! btw, 48 is that in inches? :lol:

Edited by Alhumdolilllah
  • Advanced Member
^

O chor yaar. kin jhamelon main par rahe ho. mujh se kuch seekho. :P

Of course. Just shy of half-century. I'm working hard.

koi jhamela shamela nahi hain dude.. lol 48 inches... just be careful you don't get stumped at 50 on account of syndrome X

waisey aap kya sikha rahe hain... ? mai samjha nahi, gustaaqi maaf

Edited by Alhumdolilllah
  • Veteran Member
waisey aap kya sikha rahe hain... ? mai samjha nahi, gustaaqi maaf

hehe. . . yahi ke weight loss, weight gain ko choro. . . khao piyo mauj karo aur waist kee half-century banao = meri tarah ;)

marbles are you really 5'5" 290? dang he prob cook real good lol.. i remember that other thread i think you posted a pic of the chicken dish, wow.. but still that is not a good build, very unhealthy which i'm sure you'd agree.

Edited by gogiison2
  • Veteran Member
marbles are you really 5'5" 290? dang he prob cook real good lol.. i remember that other thread i think you posted a pic of the chicken dish, wow.. but still that is not a good build, very unhealthy which i'm sure you'd agree.

I follow a man's diet regime. Who wants to be a girly guy with 24' waist and 100 lbs of flesh on the bones. huh

That chicken dish is ridiculously tasty - and who on earth wants to eat healthy food? :P

so many unfit ppl on shiachat they spend so much time on this site i wudnt be surprised if der fat y'all need to go out and run around lose some of that weight

Unfit ppl :huh:

There is one thing I'd like to loose and my weight is not that thing.

• Advanced Member

Thnx maryam 4 the site.. Seee i knew i was perfect :P lool

marbles! Stop making up stories..hehe

sat, ur bro is mean.. I tell my sis she's fat just 2 piss her off lool tho she's not.. So maybe ur bro is just doing the same.. & yah my grandma used 2 tell me 2 lose wieght tho i was underwieght O_o so cant trust ppl w that :D

• Veteran Member
Thnx maryam 4 the site.. Seee i knew i was perfect :P lool

marbles! Stop making up stories..hehe

sat, ur bro is mean.. I tell my sis she's fat just 2 piss her off lool tho she's not.. So maybe ur bro is just doing the same.. & yah my grandma used 2 tell me 2 lose wieght tho i was underwieght O_o so cant trust ppl w that :D

Finally there is someone who understands me :angel: