Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Najis peoples?!?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I went to the Masjid a long time ago and I heard this. That there are people who are considered najis! Is this true? This was shocking to me because most of my friends are Buddist and they fall into the "najis peoples" category.

Should I stay away from these people. Now that I think about it they do do bad things alot, and it would be better if i stayed away from them, but a true friend never just ditches his homies and I could find better ways to avoid bad acts. :P

I asked my buddist friends if they had a holy book and they said "yes". so maybe they are not najis. I am so confused.

Also, who exactly falls into the najis category and do buddists have a Holy book like us or anything similar??

So Muslims, Christians, Jews (Are the only non-najis)?

ON A Completely seperate note, my friend, also told me that there is a war in thailand between muslims and buddist...I have never heard of this and this sounds ridiculous to me. Is this true??? I think my friend is on drugs and he is not a real friend at all. And I should stay far away from him because he's acting like an idiot. He says "you know how muslims like to spread"....Whats that supposed to mean?!? like were a disease or something...Retard.

• Veteran Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

I went to the Masjid a long time ago and I heard this. That there are people who are considered najis! Is this true? This was shocking to me because most of my friends are Buddist and they fall into the "najis peoples" category.

Should I stay away from these people. Now that I think about it they do do bad things alot, and it would be better if i stayed away from them, but a true friend never just ditches his homies and I could find better ways to avoid bad acts. :P

I asked my buddist friends if they had a holy book and they said "yes". so maybe they are not najis. I am so confused.

Also, who exactly falls into the najis category and do buddists have a Holy book like us or anything similar??

So Muslims, Christians, Jews (Are the only non-najis)?

ON A Completely seperate note, my friend, also told me that there is a war in thailand between muslims and buddist...I have never heard of this and this sounds ridiculous to me. Is this true??? I think my friend is on drugs and he is not a real friend at all. And I should stay far away from him because he's acting like an idiot. He says "you know how muslims like to spread"....Whats that supposed to mean?!? like were a disease or something...Retard.

Generally, only Muslims, Christians, Jews, and Zoroastrians are taahir.

Generally, only Muslims, Christians, Jews, and Zoroastrians are taahir.

(bismillah)

I have been wondering about this a little too. If people are supposed to be either your brother in faith or your equal in humanity, how can these individuals be considered our equals in humanity when they are considered najlis? To me, and if I was a non-Muslim outsider, I would not feel comfortable, as if Muslims are separating people into those who are considered "clean" or not. I would probably be very offended and would not believe them when they say "equal in humanity". The same kind of thing also goes for not eating their food, etc. I wish I knew more about fiqh issues a little better, but maybe somebody can clear this up for me. I feel like I am missing something.

• Advanced Member
Why don't you just do a simple google search? I found recent news that discussed this very topic by putting "thai muslim" in the search box, for heaven's sake:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...pw2x64knzFWeJaA : "YALA, Thailand (AFP) — Suspected separatist militants shot and killed a teacher, two soldiers and a civilian Tuesday in a fresh wave of violence in Thailand's restive Muslim-majority south, police said."

• Advanced Member
Yes, this is true. Mostly in the south part of the country, as I understand it. I have a longtime friend who lived in Phuket, away from the violence. There was an overthrow of the government a while back, but it was pretty much non-violent. Why not do a little research before calling your friend a "retard"?

By the way "retard" is an offensive term when used in this way. Please don't call anyone this. If a person has mental retardation, they will feel hurt if they hear a person who does "stupid" or "weird" things being called a retard, because it assumes that a person with mental retardation would do stupid or weird things.

sorry about that, i am just mad at him for using drugs all the time. I hope i did not offend anyone. I apologize.

this is interesting, even in Thailand muslims are killing and dieing. Why are we so violent religion. :( esecially the sunni's.

Edited by Farhadfarsi83
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

In the Name of Allah, The most Beneficent, The most Merciful

(salam)

Well basically the word used to my knowledge is 'Ayal-Kitaab.' Which just means people of the book/scripture. Most scholars agree it's referring to Christians and Jews. Basically by najis we mean that if your hand is wet and you shake their hand, then your hand will become najis, but you can just wash your hand. That's basically all there's to it, according to my knowledge, so you can still be there friends, though it's better if you have other friends, but it's okay if they stay your friends, just remember that whenever you shake hands or have any contact with them, remember to wash your hands or whatever if your hand becomes najis from shaking theirs though it's only when there's water on either of your hands that your hand can become najis.

And may we all firmly hold onto the rope of guidance of Allah (S.w.T)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Well basically the word used to my knowledge is 'Ayal-Kitaab.' Which just means people of the book/scripture. Most scholars agree it's referring to Christians and Jews. Basically by najis we mean that if your hand is wet and you shake their hand, then your hand will become najis, but you can just wash your hand. That's basically all there's to it, according to my knowledge, so you can still be there friends, though it's better if you have other friends, but it's okay if they stay your friends, just remember that whenever you shake hands or have any contact with them, remember to wash your hands or whatever if your hand becomes najis from shaking theirs though it's only when there's water on either of your hands that your hand can become najis.

(bismillah)

I just wish I understood the reasoning behind all of this. I am still just confused about this. To me, it seems like having non-Muslim friends is highly discouraged, and for obvious reason, because many engage in acts that are not Islamically permissible, and we want to minimize compromising situations. But to me, this almost seems like we are segregating ourselves from everybody else, and isolating ourselves in a way. Adding this ritual impurity when having contact with them kind of distances us even more.

Like I said, if I was a non-Muslim, non-Ahlul Ketab, I would take offense to such rulings, with the belief that I am not "clean" enough to shake hands with my Muslim friend without him having to wash his hands. I am not challenging this, I just want a better explanation about this, and maybe start a broader discussion about how our contacts with non-Muslims should go.

Honestly if some non-Muslim came up and challenged me by bringing this up, I really wouldn't know what to say. That's frustrating.

Edited by Shia Engineer
  • Advanced Member

In the name of God the most gracious, most merciful.

Assalumun-Alleykum

I used to actually think that muslims were the only pak people because we are the only ones who perform wuzu....lol. I dont see how Christians and Jews can be considered pak when they pray without even doing wuzu. This all doesnt make sense to me either. I agree with the fellow above. I feel that we are all equal, and this just creates a segregation between the religions of the world. Islam is about Unity not segregation.

• Moderators
(bismillah)

(salam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Is there a Quranic verses talking about this issue or it is from hadith and where?

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam) ,

Yes I believe that there are several verses in the Quran, which talk about Ahlul-Kitab, meaning people of the book.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here they are:

There are many statements in the Qur'an that promote tolerance towards People of The Book. For example:

And do not dispute with the followers of the Book except by what is best, except those of them who act unjustly, and say: We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you, and our God and your God is One, and to Him do we submit. [Qur'an 29:46]

There are also many statements that promote an adversarial relationship. For example:

O you who believe! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for rulers/patrons ; they are protectors of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a ruler/patron, then surely he is one of them; surely God does not guide the unjust people. [Qur'an 5:51]

In other places the Qur'an says:

Not all of them are alike; a party of the people of the Scripture stand for the right, they recite the Verses of God during the hours of the night, prostrating themselves in prayer. They believe in God and the Last Day; they enjoin Al-Ma'rûf and forbid Al-Munkar ; and they hasten in (all) good works; and they are among the righteous. And whatever good they do, nothing will be rejected of them; for God knows well those who are Al-Muttaqûn .(3:113-115)

And there are, certainly, among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), those who believe in God and in that which has been revealed to you, and in that which has been revealed to them, humbling themselves before God. They do not sell the Verses of God for a little price, for them is a reward with their Lord. Surely, God is Swift in account. '(3:199)'

Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in God and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve . [Qur'an 2:62]

Say (O Muhammad ): "O people of the Scripture : Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but God, and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides God. [Qur'an 3:64]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the Quran we are supposed to give preference to Ahlul Kitab over the non-Ahlul Kitab, like Buddhists, Hindus, etc.

Farhad you said in your first post that, your buddhist friend had a holy book. But its not holy according to Islam, or they would have been included in the Ahlul Kitab. Ahlul Kitab recieved the book Torah and Injeel, through the messengers (as) , so they're called Ahlul Kitab.

Yes I believe the bro is right about not being wet when shaking hands with him. And I think, even marriage is not allowed with non-Ahlul Kitab, im not sure.

Shia engineer, you're right about the part about discrimination, however, there are many better Muslims with better Akhlaq than non-Ahlul Kitab you can be friends with, take me for an example........ :P :P ;)

Who is telling you not to b fnrds with non-Ahlul Kitab? You can talk to them, but dont touch them. Avoid telling your friend this, and he wont even notice that ur avoiding touching him, since we dont usually know if the person is wet or not.

Though i have this doubt in my mind that, can we use the same swimming pool as non-Ahlul Kitab?

(wasalam) and take care,

Edited by Basim Ali
  • Advanced Member

Several maraja- Fadlallah, Saanei, Jannaati, and perhaps others say that it is not true that non-Muslims are inherently najis. The worst they say is that those unbelievers who knowingly reject the truth - not those average non-Muslims who know little or nothing accurate about Islam.

I think the origin of this traditional notion of assuming non-Muslims to be najis by precaution (and the maraja will tell you it's a precautionary measure) was because they didn't have any laws of hygiene in the past, and taharat is basically largely hygiene.

• Basic Members

I think scholars differ regarding who is Najis and who is Tahir, some scholars esp Ayatullah Saanei has very liberal views on it e.g. Christians, Marxists, Jews, and Zoroastrians are not disbelievers (infidels) and his view about non-Muslims (if they obey a holy religion) is that they are not najis and they have equally deserve to go to Paradise if they follow their religion sincerely...

but i think Ayatollah Sisstani states all non-ahl e kitab as infidels and hence comes in the category of "infidel" under Nijasaat... .

Any brother to elaborate on it

Regards

Edited by elegant.thinker

lol, this thread is funny. Its like a bunch of kids being told theres a boogey man under the bed. The kids believe it so much neither of them ever gets out the bed, because the carpet sharks will eat them. And if they had a boat, and they opened the door to exit the room, the dam water will spill on them, and inside it there are electrical eels.

Men write books, what do they need them for when they have the ability to write them?

Edited by Aboo Fatimah
  • Advanced Member
(bismillah)

I just wish I understood the reasoning behind all of this. I am still just confused about this. To me, it seems like having non-Muslim friends is highly discouraged, and for obvious reason, because many engage in acts that are not Islamically permissible, and we want to minimize compromising situations. But to me, this almost seems like we are segregating ourselves from everybody else, and isolating ourselves in a way. Adding this ritual impurity when having contact with them kind of distances us even more.

Like I said, if I was a non-Muslim, non-Ahlul Ketab, I would take offense to such rulings, with the belief that I am not "clean" enough to shake hands with my Muslim friend without him having to wash his hands. I am not challenging this, I just want a better explanation about this, and maybe start a broader discussion about how our contacts with non-Muslims should go.

Honestly if some non-Muslim came up and challenged me by bringing this up, I really wouldn't know what to say. That's frustrating.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Interesting....Well I'll have to research it more myself, so give me till Saturday and I'll reply with the reasoning behind it (if I can find it) or I'll just try to provide more information on it. InshAllah I'll get back to you on this by Saturday.

May we all firmly hold onto the rope of guidance of Allah (S.w.T)

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

Is there a Quranic verses talking about this issue or it is from hadith and where?

(bismillah)

(wasalam)

[9:28] O you who believe, the non believers (Mushrikoon) are polluted (Najis); they shall not be permitted to approach the Sacred Masjid after this year. If you fear loss of income, GOD will shower you with His provisions, in accordance with His will. GOD is Omniscient, Most Wise.

9:28 SHAKIR: O you who believe! the idolaters are nothing but unclean, so they shall not approach the Sacred Mosque after this year; and if you fear poverty then Allah will enrich you out of His grace if He please; surely Allah is Knowing Wise.

-so, if the mushriks are najis physically then would it make sense to keep them out of the sacred mosque which was like all dirt back then and is outdoors even still today? physical najis purified with pure earth is treated differently from what i read. or does it imply a spiritual najasit? also check out this verse:

87:14 SHAKIR: He indeed shall be successful who purifies himself

-one may say this verse refers to tazakka or zakaat or growth or purification, but what does zakaat purify?..the physical or the spiritual? when one purifies for wudhu, does it purify the whole body or the few parts that we cleanse ritually or is it more to do with the spiritual tarteeb as well? this is why i don't think one can say the hands of mushriks are physically impure.

Edited by gogiison2
  • Advanced Member
9:28 SHAKIR: O you who believe! the idolaters are nothing but unclean, so they shall not approach the Sacred Mosque after this year; and if you fear poverty then Allah will enrich you out of His grace if He please; surely Allah is Knowing Wise.

-so, if the mushriks are najis physically then would it make sense to keep them out of the sacred mosque which was like all dirt back then and is outdoors even still today? physical najis purified with pure earth is treated differently from what i read. or does it imply a spiritual najasit? also check out this verse:

87:14 SHAKIR: He indeed shall be successful who purifies himself

-one may say this verse refers to tazakka or zakaat or growth or purification, but what does zakaat purify?..the physical or the spiritual? when one purifies for wudhu, does it purify the whole body or the few parts that we cleanse ritually or is it more to do with the spiritual tarteeb as well? this is why i don't think one can say the hands of mushriks are physically impure.

The mushriks are inherently inpure, they cannot be purified unless they turn to monotheism - the same way a pig or alcohol cannot be made tahir - it is inherently unpure.

• Advanced Member

"Contact with "najis" things brings a Muslim into a state of ritual impurity ("najasat"), which requires undergoing purification before performing religious duties, such as regular prayers."

got this quote from here->

http://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/1793181

so i guess "Purification" from najisat means wuzu. Muslims are only ones who perform wuzu. Therefore i think we are the only non-najis peoples.

• Advanced Member

I think that you can still socialise with non Ahlul Kitab even if you consider them to be Najis. Just avoid too much contact unless necessary. For instance you cant pray in a sweater/jacket that your non muslim friend gave you if its not been washed coz his sweat is najis..

However, my question is about these whom we consider to be Ahl Kitab. Are they really the Ahl Kitab? Like they eat pork and stuff. Can we treat them as taahir?

ws

• Advanced Member
"Contact with "najis" things brings a Muslim into a state of ritual impurity ("najasat"), which requires undergoing purification before performing religious duties, such as regular prayers."

got this quote from here->

http://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/1793181

so i guess "Purification" from najisat means wuzu. Muslims are only ones who perform wuzu. Therefore i think we are the only non-najis peoples.

The ritual purity and impurity associated with wudu for prayer is different from the issues of taharat. You're confounding two things.

• 6 years later...
  • Advanced Member

I dont see how Christians and Jews can be considered pak when they pray without even doing wuzu.

This is actually not correct. According to Judaism, the very first thing one must do in the morning is washing hands and the face in an appropriate way and with water from a proper sufficiently pure source. One must wash the hands before every prayer, after entering the bathroom, after touching various unclean things and before eating bread. Additionally, Hasidic Jewish men perform full immersion in a natural water reserve or special ritual pool every morning, if such place is easily available, and especially on Friday evening. Every married Jewish woman absolutely must perform a proper full immersion in a proper place after her menses and in some other situations. An immersion or at least a shower is required after sexual relations.

Washing feet before every prayer is not required in most Jewish communities though, because we do not remove shoes and according to European Jewish customs going around barefoot is considered disrespectful, so the feet are constantly covered. Jews in Muslim countries traditionally wash their feet as well and in some places like Yemeni communities people remove their shoes at the synagogue. In every Orthodox Jewish home you expect to find a special vessel with two handles near the sink, which guaranties that your washed hand doesn't touch even a drop of water that may have contacted the unwashed hand, while you are washing it.

Some esoterically inclined people wash their hand every time that shake hands with a non-Jew or religiously lax Jew, in case they are worshiping idols, don't believe in God or committing serious sins. My namesake, Rabbi Yoel Teitelbaum, mainly known in the world for his so-called "radical" (I call it somewhat moderate) anti-Zionism, spent half of the day fully immersing and washing himself after using the bathroom, seeing immodest and sinful things and even after having a disturbing thought. This was his personal spiritual path though as an esoteric initiate, not a public practice. The only community I am familiar with that encourages similar practices as a group is Lev Tahor in Canada.

Overall, the rules of ritual washing, what kind of water to use, how to rub your hands if there is no water available etc, seems quite similar to Islam, and in some ways stricter. A full immersion in appropriate water source after a careful preparation process is the only possible way for a women to purify herself after bleeding.

Archeologists often discover traces of ancient Jewish communities precisely because the first thing properly build and maintained would be a ritual bath, used primarily by women after their period and for immersing dishes produced by outsiders suspected in idolatry. In every traditional Judaica store you'll see an entire section of fancy hand-washing tools.

Edited by Yoel