Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Spirit of God

Rate this topic

(salam)

We know that Prophet Isa (S) is referred to as "Ruh Allah", or the Spirit of God. Do you know why?

I've never really understood exactly what that means. I know the "Ruh" is mentioned as an entity in hadith, but I don't know if that is the same Ruh.

I know Christians have a similar idea... do we share similarities in how we view it?

• Advanced Member
(salam)

We know that Prophet Isa (S) is referred to as "Ruh Allah", or the Spirit of God. Do you know why?

I've never really understood exactly what that means. I know the "Ruh" is mentioned as an entity in hadith, but I don't know if that is the same Ruh.

I know Christians have a similar idea... do we share similarities in how we view it?

Aleikumessalam,

Muslim belief is that Ruh Allah is tashreef honor to Jesus when he attributed his spirit to himself like when we say Beit Allah house of God or Naqatullah shecamel of God ,or Ibrahim is khalilullah ,Moses is kaleemullah and Muhammad habibullah .

If Jesus spirit was given from God spirit ,then Jesus is the manefistation of God on earth like what the bible says ( God was in him ) Placid belief which means he was drop of God .

However we believe that he was supported by holy spirit and christians belive that holy spirit duwelth in him and by holy spirit he rise the dead , heal leprusy ,open blind eyes and creat like birds ......etc.

• Veteran Member

Hi BintAlHoda,

Quote:

I know Christians have a similar idea... do we share similarities in how we view it? --- End of quote.

I don't find the use of this word in the Bible, but in a few verses in the Quran it refers to 'Ruh,' as the Spirit of God.

However, Hilali-Khan seems to be the only translator who uses the word Ruh, as in the following verses:

4:171. O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allah aught but the truth. The Messiah 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allah and His Word, ("Be!" - and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Ruh) created by Him; so believe in Allah and His Messengers.

17:85. And they ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning the Ruh (the Spirit); Say: "The Ruh (the Spirit): it is one of the things, the knowledge of which is only with my Lord. And of knowledge, you (mankind) have been given only a little."

21:91. And (remember) she who guarded her chastity [Virgin Maryam (Mary)], We breathed into (the sleeves of) her (shirt or garment) [through Our Ruh and We made her and her son ['Iesa (Jesus)] a sign for Al-'Alamin (the mankind and jinns).

26:193. Which the trustworthy Ruh has brought down;

--- Pickthall : 192. And lo! it is a revelation of the Lord of the Worlds

193. Which the True Spirit hath brought down.

58:22. You (O Muhammad SAW) will not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW), even though they were their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Ruh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself. And We will admit them to Gardens (Paradise) under which rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). Allah is pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the Party of Allah. Verily, it is the Party of Allah that will be the successful.

66:12. And Maryam (Mary), the daughter of 'Imran who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (the sleeve of her shirt or her garment) through Our Ruh, and she testified to the truth of the Words of her Lord [i.e. believed in the Words of Allah: "Be!" and he was; that is 'Iesa (Jesus) son of Maryam (Mary); as a Messenger of Allah], and (also believed in) His Scriptures, and she was of the Qanitin (i.e. obedient to Allah).

70:4. The angels and the Ruh ascend to Him in a Day the measure whereof is fifty thousand years,

97:4. Therein descend the angels and the Ruh by Allah's Permission with all Decrees,

--- Yes, this identifies with the Holy Spirit of God which is explained in John 14-16, --- also called the Spirit of Truth.

The working of the Holy Spirit is still a wonderful mystery as it says above in 17:85.

Thank you, Yonus, for your assessment.

Placid

However we believe that he was supported by holy spirit and christians belive that holy spirit duwelth in him and by holy spirit he rise the dead , heal leprusy ,open blind eyes and creat like birds ......etc.

this is interesting... what is that holy spirit that he was supported by?

the other prophets did miracles too though, did they have the same spirit?

also how is the spirit that god breathed into him different than the spirit he breathes into people when they are created?

• Advanced Member

Muslim shia says Holy spirit is a person who is greater than the angels including Gabriel .

Muslim sunnis say He is angel Gabriel .

Christians say he is the third person of Trinity .

Placid says he is manefistation of God and servant of God at the same time .

In my opinion Jesus is unique and he is alone who is infallible (sinless ) man and his spirit is (pure or brand new ) including the holy spirit which was with him always . Abraham says in qura : My Lord show me how you raise the dead , while Jesus raise the dead directly and he create like the birds ...etc.

also how is the spirit that god breathed into him different than the spirit he breathes into people when they are created?

Yes , but his spirit is (qudsiyah ) holy , and Placid says like Adam spirit before he did a sin and comes down from the garden .

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Was reading a biography on Imam Khomeini (qs) the author states that Nabi Isa AS is known as Ruhullah because by Allah's permission he could breathe life into dead bodies. He therefore became known as Ruhullah.

According to Pooyas commentary, the Holy Spirit is angel Jibril (as)

will try an look up more info on the same Inshallah

Edited by maqnouteh
  • Advanced Member

This is where it gets difficult for Moslems. We believe that He, the Holy Spirit, like Father and Son, is Divine.

Yes, they prophesied by the Holy Spirit:

"Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." (2 Pet. 1:20,21)

WE believe that all men (and women:) are born with a spirit, but which is not responsive to God until it is "awakened." That is the spiritual awakening that Jesus called being "born again." It is the Holy Spirit that "awakens" (quickens) the human spirit.

^ so you are saying that, in the christian belief, the Holy Spririt awakens the human spirit through faith?

There is a similar belief in hadith, in that those who believe are said to have a special form of spirit called 'ruh al iman' or 'the spirit of iman', but those who do not believe do not have that. Of course, we do not correlate that only with belief in Jesus : ) And the ruh al iman can come or go.

I bet there are a ton of mystical interpretations on this in Islamic books... wish I knew where to look....

This is where it gets difficult for Moslems. We believe that He, the Holy Spirit, like Father and Son, is Divine.

Yes, they prophesied by the Holy Spirit:

"Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." (2 Pet. 1:20,21)

WE believe that all men (and women:) are born with a spirit, but which is not responsive to God until it is "awakened." That is the spiritual awakening that Jesus called being "born again." It is the Holy Spirit that "awakens" (quickens) the human spirit.

• Advanced Member
Was reading a biography on Imam Khomeini (qs) the author states that Nabi Isa AS is known as Ruhullah because by Allah's permission he could breathe life into dead bodies. He therefore became known as Ruhullah.

Was Nabi Isa (as) the only prophet who was permitted by Allah to breathe life into dead bodies?

• Advanced Member
Was Nabi Isa (as) the only prophet who was permitted by Allah to breathe life into dead bodies?

Some scolars say by the greatest name of Allah , Jesus raise the dead , or by the holy spirit who was with him or by prayer and (dua') like coming down of the table food .

Quran didn't mention any other prophet who raise the dead except Isa bn Maryam .

• Advanced Member

Some short questions ... Please Answer...

1; Did Jesus merry any one ? If not then why ? If he eats, sleeps , breaths and walks like a human being then he must have desires like other human beings too ?

2: Do muslims also believe that merry (Maryam) was engaged with Yousuf ? and Was Yousuf a prophet of not ?

• Forum Administrators

(salam)

The belief of 'Ruh Allah', or Spirit of God, in my opinion, refers to the breathing of life from God to Jesus (as). The same term is used in the Qur'an for when Adam (as) is created:

(bismillah)

ÝóÅöÐóÇ ÓóæøóíúÊõåõ æóäóÝóÎúÊõ Ýöíåö ãöä ÑøõæÍöí ÝóÞóÚõæÇú áóåõ ÓóÇÌöÏöíäó

"and when I have formed him fully and breathed into him of My spirit, fall down before him in prostration!" (15:29)

The same term is also used for the Angel Gabriel (as)

(bismillah)

ÝóÇÊøóÎóÐóÊú ãöä Ïõæäöåöãú ÍöÌóÇÈðÇ ÝóÃóÑúÓóáúäóÇ ÅöáóíúåóÇ ÑõæÍóäóÇ ÝóÊóãóËøóáó áóåóÇ ÈóÔóÑðÇ ÓóæöíøðÇ

"and kept herself in seclusion from them, whereupon We sent unto her Our Spirit, who appeared to her in the shape of a well-made human being." (19:17)

So we could see, in terms of Scripture, the term is not unique to Jesus (as), but rather it is a term used for those who Allah creates uniquely. Gabriel (as) as God's messenger amongst the Angels, who blows spirit into the living, Adam (as) as the first modern human, and Jesus (as) as a man born without a father.

1; Did Jesus merry any one ? If not then why ? If he eats, sleeps , breaths and walks like a human being then he must have desires like other human beings too ?

Allahu 'Alam, you do have a point, but this does not necessarily mean he had any relationships. Many believe Jesus (as) and John the Baptist (as) had taken the Nicene creed, and most who had taken this creed would stay single in order to dedicate more time to the work of Allah and prayer. The Qur'an and Ahadith don't mention any wives to Jesus (as). Again, it is possible, but not likely.

Some scolars say by the greatest name of Allah , Jesus raise the dead , or by the holy spirit who was with him or by prayer and (dua') like coming down of the table food .

Quran didn't mention any other prophet who raise the dead except Isa bn Maryam.

By Allah's permission, all praise is due to Him.

By which basis do you come to the conclusion that the Holy Spirit is divine?

• Veteran Member

Hi BintAlHoda,

Quote from Post 8 in response to Daystar:

so you are saying that, in the christian belief, the Holy Spririt awakens the human spirit through faith?

There is a similar belief in hadith, in that those who believe are said to have a special form of spirit called 'ruh al iman' or 'the spirit of iman', but those who do not believe do not have that. Of course, we do not correlate that only with belief in Jesus : ) And the ruh al iman can come or go. --- End of quote.

--- 'the Holy Spririt awakens the human spirit through faith?'

We believe that the human spirit is really the breath of life, whereas there is a process to receiving the Holy Spirit.

As a person, we have the natural faculties to receive knowledge and know about natural things. We also are able to know about God and spiritual things. However God awakens an interest in a person to seek Him.

A verse in Romans says, 'Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.'

The word 'hearing' can have a deeper meaning than just taking in the audible sound. --- It can mean, really listening or paying attention for the first time. It can also mean 'understanding,' --- as in 'Faith comes from hearing the word of God and 'understanding' it.'

The process is that Faith 'grows' as we 'feed' it.

As we listen to God's word, whether we read it or hear it, and learn more, we might finally say, --- "Aha! Now I understand." --- But our understanding might only go as far as the depth of our faith.

--- But this inspires us to learn more and 'follow our faith.' --- Therefore God can lead us to a knowledge of Himself (though it is beyond our ability to understand Him fully).

--- All this time it is the Holy Spirit that first 'awakens' us, then draws us, until we are ready to 'believe in Him.'

The Holy Spirit is also the Spirit of Holiness, as He leads us to a desire for 'holiness' in our lives.

--- Part of the process of Faith is that a 'conversion,' or 'changing' takes place where now we want to follow God's will in our lives, and we are like an open or 'empty' vessel that He can fill, --- and God 'fills' us with His Holy Spirit.

--- (Please understand that I am writing this as information, in response to the question, --- 'the Holy Spririt awakens the human spirit through faith? --- and not to personally influence anyone.)

This 'process of Faith' is identified in the following verse in Hilali Khan's translation:

58:22. You (O Muhammad SAW) will not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW), even though they were their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Ruh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself. And We will admit them to Gardens (Paradise) under which rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). Allah is pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the Party of Allah. Verily, it is the Party of Allah that will be the successful.

--- Normally, while you always honor your family, you may disagree with them in their lack of belief, --- use of bad language and lifestyle. --- Your old friends drop off as you find you don't have the same interests any more, and you develop new friends who will help you in your new life of Faith.

(Notice this wording) --- 'For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Ruh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself.

1. God has written Faith in their hearts

2. He has strengthened them with Ruh (the Spirit of Faith and Truth, whom we call the Holy Spirit)

3. Which gives us, --- 'proofs, light (or understanding) and true guidance from Himself.'

4. This gives assurance of God's salvation through Faith.

The best example of this 'changing experience' is Muhammad, himself.

He started out as an honest man, --- and in business dealings Mr Pickthall said that he earned the title, 'the trustworthy.'

Pickthall: 42:52. 'And thus have We inspired in thee (Muhammad) a Spirit of Our command. Thou knewest not what the Scripture was, nor what the Faith. But We have made it a light whereby We guide whom We will of Our bondmen. And lo! thou verily dost guide unto a right path,'

Kilali-Khan: 'And thus We have sent to you (O Muhammad SAW) Ruhan (an Inspiration, and a Mercy) of Our Command.

--- That is to say that he included "Ruhan" which no doubt means, this Spirit of Faith, and enlightenment, (which we call the Holy Spirit).

--- 'you knew not what the Scripture was,' --- (as this Surah was revealed very early in his teaching, it could not refer to the Quran itself, as most of it was revealed after Muhammad had received this 'enlightenment,' therefore 'the Scripture' or 'the Book' refers to the former Scriptures. It is a statement saying, 'You didn't know, or understand, the former Scripture').

--- 'Nor what the Faith was' --- meaning that Muhammad had to be led into the realm of Faith, --- which resulted in his submission to God's will and guidance.

--- 'But We have made it a light, (meaning the understanding of the Scripture, and Faith, become a light, or Spiritual enlightenment)

--- 'Whereby We guide whom We will of our bondmen (willing and obedient servants).

And then the 'commendation,' and assurance.

--- 'And lo! thou verily dost guide unto a right path,'

Quoted from above:

--- 'There is a similar belief in hadith, in that those who believe are said to have a special form of spirit called 'ruh al iman' or 'the spirit of iman', but those who do not believe do not have that.'

I believe that 'iman' means 'faith', does it not? --- therfore, 'the spirit of iman' is 'the spirit of faith'.

A verse in Hebrews 11 says:

6. But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is (exists), and that He is a rewarder of those who dilligently seek Him.

Placid

• Veteran Member

Hi Feraidon,

Quoted from Post 11:

Some short questions ... Please Answer...

2: Do muslims also believe that merry (Maryam) was engaged with Yousuf ? and Was Yousuf a prophet of not ?

1. Did Jesus marry anyone?

--- No, Jesus did not marry anyone. --- His purpose was to be obedient to God as a willing Servant.

--- He came from God, not to do His own will but to fulfil the role of Savior and Redeemer of the World. John 1:29-34.

--- 'If he eats, sleeps , breaths and walks like a human being then he must have desires like other human beings too?'

Yes, Jesus did have natural desires. He was a natural Child of the Virgin Mary and grew among men as the 'perfect man'. --- an example for men to follow. --- He showed us how to live one with another, --- and taught us to love one another. --- He became the Great High Priest for mankind as He was 'without sin.'

Hebrews 4:

14. Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.

15. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.

2.Do muslims also believe that merry (Maryam) was engaged with Yousuf ? and Was Yousuf a prophet of not ?

--- Joseph is not mentioned in the Quran, --- so, I don't know what they believe about Joseph.

--- Jesus was registered as 'the son of Joseph in the census that was taken when He was born, in the time of Herod the King, so that would be the historical record, though Jesus had no human father.

--- 'Was Yousuf a prophet of not?'

No, his genealogy puts him in the lineage of King David, but he was not a prophet. --- However, he received messages from God in dreams, and was obedient to God, which indicates that he was a devout believer.

By profession he was a carpenter.

Placid

Edited by placid