Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

(bismillah) (salam)

So I was on shiachat innocently browsing and then I read something shocking. I read that hell was not eternal (without refrences). I know for shias hell is not eternal, It will filter out the bad deeds.

I heard from Syed Mahdi Modaressi that the people of hell will say to the guard "tell your lord we no longer wish to exist" and the guard will come back 30,000 years later to say no, sorry you are staying. They will climb up for 30,000 years and when they get to the top, they will be kicked back down, and they will start to climb again.

(bismillah) (salam)

So I was on shiachat innocently browsing and then I read something shocking. I read that hell was not eternal (without refrences). I know for shias hell is not eternal, It will filter out the bad deeds.

I heard from Syed Mahdi Modaressi that the people of hell will say to the guard "tell your lord we no longer wish to exist" and the guard will come back 30,000 years later to say no, sorry you are staying. They will climb up for 30,000 years and when they get to the top, they will be kicked back down, and they will start to climb again.

I can't comment on the story you provided, but from what I have read and heard from scholars is that hell is eternal for certain people and for certain people it is temporary and for them it is a means of purification. The common complaint about hell being eternal is that we only sinned for a temporary time in this world so why are we punished for eternity, which is a very valid question. The answer I received is that even though an individual sinned for a limited time, if they would have been given eternal life on this world they would have continued to sin forever. There are verses in the Quran that point to this and Iblees is a good example as well.

(bismillah) (salam)

I m confused about this story.. the point of the story is that the people of Hell themselves will not want to leave, yes? And also that people in Hell will stay there forever? But why would the guard have to come back and tell them "sorry, you cant go" if they already dont want to go?///... did you make a typo here or something..

Anyway...

Two of the greatest arifs (beside prophets and imams) have said in their works that Hell will not be eternal for any single individual. They are Ibn al-arabi, and Mulla Sadra.

But the mainstream position within Islamic thought (in general) is that very few people will remain in Hell forever (and that only, because they deserve it).

I can't comment on the story you provided, but from what I have read and heard from scholars is that hell is eternal for certain people and for certain people it is temporary and for them it is a means of purification. The common complaint about hell being eternal is that we only sinned for a temporary time in this world so why are we punished for eternity, which is a very valid question. The answer I received is that even though an individual sinned for a limited time, if they would have been given eternal life on this world they would have continued to sin forever. There are verses in the Quran that point to this and Iblees is a good example as well.

Yes from most scholars i have heard it is temporary and eternal. Most people will be going to heaven ... whether it will be directly or after having some time in hell. yes i have also heard the point of people who will being going to hell eternally that it is because they would commit sin on earth eternally.

Yes, hell is eternal for certain individuals.

However, the following answer is not strong, since it will lead to a fruitless discussion about free-will vs. predetermination.

"The answer I received is that even though an individual sinned for a limited time, if they would have been given eternal life on this world they would have continued to sin forever."

I have thought about it, and in my opinion, the best answer would be an example from chemistry.

For example, certain chemical reactions cannot be reversed. In other words, the products of the reactions cannot return to their initial forms, the reagents.

Similarly, sin affects our hearts, and after a certain point, after too much sin, the black hearts will be sealed and will not be lightened.

These sealed blackened hearts will remain in hell eternally.

Another example would be think of human bodily wastes, which are najis.

The waste substance, once produced by the body, regardless of how much we wash it to clean it, will never become paak/tahir/pure again.

Similarly, once a human turns his/her heart into waste via sins, the completely wasted heart cannot be purified.

However, before considering these examples, we must keep in mind that God is just. God does not "function" based on volition and randomly. God has designed and set up laws, and He will not break His own laws, due to His just nature.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Hell is not eternal in the sense Allah (swt) is. Hell exists as long as Allah (swt) wills it to, and form what I know, the mushrikeen and munafiqeen will be be placed in Hell and will not be removed or "forever" or for "eternity"

get it?

(salam)

Guest Zahrah
Hell can't be eternal, because nothing is eternal except the One. Everything else is impermanent. So hell has to be impermanent as well.

Èóáóì ãóä ßóÓóÈó ÓóíøöÆóÉð æóÃóÍóÇØóÊú Èöåö ÎóØöíÜÆóÊõåõ ÝóÃõæúáóÜÆößó ÃóÕúÍóÇÈõ ÇáäøóÇÑö åõãú ÝöíåóÇ ÎóÇáöÏõæäó {81}[Pickthal 2:81] Nay, but whosoever hath done evil and his sin surroundeth him; such are rightful owners of the Fire; they will abide therein.

æóÇáøóÐöíäó ÂãóäõæÇú æóÚóãöáõæÇú ÇáÕøóÇáöÍóÇÊö ÃõæáóÜÆößó ÃóÕúÍóÇÈõ ÇáúÌóäøóÉö åõãú ÝöíåóÇ ÎóÇáöÏõæäó {82}[Pickthal 2:82] And those who believe and do good works: such are rightful owners of the Garden. They will abide therein.

Guest Zahrah

Èóáóì ãóä ßóÓóÈó ÓóíøöÆóÉð æóÃóÍóÇØóÊú Èöåö ÎóØöíÜÆóÊõåõ ÝóÃõæúáóÜÆößó ÃóÕúÍóÇÈõ ÇáäøóÇÑö åõãú ÝöíåóÇ ÎóÇáöÏõæäó {81}[Pickthal 2:81] Nay, but whosoever hath done evil and his sin surroundeth him; such are rightful owners of the Fire; they will abide therein.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 2:81]

Aqa Mahdi Puya says: Earning (obtaining a return) is quite different from falling into evil. Those who earn the wages of sin are enclosed in sin. One sin leads to another sin. It is a vicious and unending cycle. Willing yielding to evil for self advancement, erects a fortress of wickedness brick by brick; and access to good becomes impossible. They are enclosed in error. Sinning becomes their nature, as the conscience is paralysed. Total abandonment to evil obtains eternal punishment. They are the people of hell. Man finds himself in such a hopeless situation only when he breaks the covenant made with the Lord and disconnects all links of attachment with the divinely commissioned guides (Baqarah: 38). Even a little liking for the goodness of the holy Imams may change the lifestyle of a habitual sinner.

Guest Zahrah
(bismillah) (salam)

They want to seize to exist, but Allah will not let that happen.

what do you mean?

I personally think that Sunni Aaraaf are a bit jealous of the status of the Shia momineen here.

Similarly whenever a soul sins and asks for forgiveness, Jesus forgives that soul as per Christianity.

I personally think that Sunni Aaraaf are a bit jealous of the status of the Shia momineen here.

Similarly whenever a soul sins and asks for forgiveness, Jesus forgives that soul as per Christianity.

(bismillah) (salam)

We repent in this life so we don't have to go through the painful filtering process, but it is hard.

I basically came to ask the same thing - if Shia Islam believes like Sunni Muslims - that for wicked Muslims there will be a Hell only for a short period and then they will be saved, or - as I have read that Ibadis believe that - Who goes in Hell, goes in Hell forever; Jannah is for people who doesn't make big sins, who guard themselves and strive for perfection?!

According to the mainstream view - some Saūdi Kings are Muslims, or those migrant muslims in Germany - who are trying to rape non-muslim girls - are sort of Muslims and will be pardoned later in Hell?! That sounds very strange.

Also, now I remember, I have heard from Zaydi Shia sources that - not all muslims will be saved, but Jannah will be only for Mūmin & Mutaqqīn - only for sincere & pious, God-fearing Muslims and unrepentant Muslim sinners will go to hell;

so, it also would mean - if Saūdi Kings doesn't change their mind and doesn't repent - they should go Hell; I'm not sure about pardoning, but it would be strange.

On 5/11/2009 at 6:55 AM, ShiaSoldier@2007 said:

(bismillah) (salam)

Some entities have sinned to such an extent that they are no longer humans at all and they already made life hell for people. Such as Genghis Khan, who was a fanatic mongol who killed people of cities just because he feared that if they are left alive, they would rebel again. He raped multitudes of girls whose number no one knows and killed million of peoples. Do you think that some people deserve to leave hell ? Lolz, some are cursed and damned for eternal hell fire, they did every sin.

2 hours ago, zambala said:

I basically came to ask the same thing - if Shia Islam believes like Sunni Muslims - that for wicked Muslims there will be a Hell only for a short period and then they will be saved, or - as I have read that Ibadis believe that - Who goes in Hell, goes in Hell forever; Jannah is for people who doesn't make big sins, who guard themselves and strive for perfection?!

According to the mainstream view - some Saūdi Kings are Muslims, or those migrant muslims in Germany - who are trying to rape non-muslim girls - are sort of Muslims and will be pardoned later in Hell?! That sounds very strange.

Also, now I remember, I have heard from Zaydi Shia sources that - not all muslims will be saved, but Jannah will be only for Mūmin & Mutaqqīn - only for sincere & pious, God-fearing Muslims and unrepentant Muslim sinners will go to hell;

so, it also would mean - if Saūdi Kings doesn't change their mind and doesn't repent - they should go Hell; I'm not sure about pardoning, but it would be strange.

Well, it depends upon the type of sin, Some sins are unforgivable such as that of murder and rape. Murder is snatching someones life and rape is snatching someone dignity. Both things cannot be expiated. But we have read in Quran that Allah says that no one will leave Hell except Allah's wish.

On 6/4/2009 at 8:37 AM, John Connor said:

No,God forgive the soul if he/she confess and repent,in christianity!

On 10/29/2018 at 3:21 PM, zambala said:

if Saūdi Kings doesn't change their mind and doesn't repent - they should go Hell;

I think some Wahabi/Salafi sheikhs like Abu Qatada think that it is only a sin if done to Muslims. (their definition of Muslims) So therefore they can do all sorts of evil and wicket things like killing, raping and stealing to the people they perceive to be kufar.

I'll have to dig up some ahadith on this one but really the word "eternal" has to first be defined, alongside what your perceive Jahannam to be both from the Qur'an's descriptions and from the descriptions in ahadith. 

The thing is though, in a coherent theological understanding you must factor in the ontology of the subject or else you can be left with some rather strange and fanatical ideas (in the case of Catholicism, Protestantism/Evangelicals and Salafism for example)

Edited by HakimPtsid

The punishment of the Hereafter is eternal only for those who were stubborn against the Truth.

Such people remained stubborn their entire lives, despite being given countless chances to repent and submit to the Truth. In fact, they have reached a stage, where, as the Qur’an says below, even if they were returned to life after having tasted the fire of Hell, they would still go back to the same sins they used to commit.

“If you could but see when they will be held over the (Hell) Fire! They will say: “Would that we were but sent back (to the world)! Then we would not deny the Ayat of our Lord, and we would be of the believers! Nay, it has become manifest to them what they had been concealing before. But if they were returned (to the world), they would certainly revert to that which they were forbidden. And indeed they are liars.” (6:27-8)

Their punishment is eternal because, given the chance, they would have done evil eternally. Imam Sadiq ((عليه السلام)) was asked the same question and he replied:

“Surely, people of Hell are eternally in Hell because their intention was if they lived in this world eternally they would disobey God eternally, likewise people of Paradise will be eternally in Paradise because their intention was if they lived in this world eternally they would worship God eternally.” (al-Kaafi, vol.2 p.85)

Their punishment is severe because of the magnitude of their transgressions. These people have denied the greatest and most obvious of Truths, and the only way they can do this is by having killed their conscience. A person who has killed their own conscience has usually also committed atrocious acts against his fellow beings, and if they had been given opportunity, their atrocities would have continued to forever get worse.

Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) does not punish for all our sins. Rather, he punishes only for a small minority of them. In fact, the Qur’an says that if we were punished for all our sins, no creature would be left on Earth to live. This is despite the fact that each sin, no matter how small, is a sin against the Creator who gave us every blessing imaginable. This makes every sin absolutely dire and deserving of indescribable punishment. Yet Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) gives us respite upon respite, until a person may unfortunately shows that their heart is completely veiled and harsh, and instead of taking heed during their respite, continues to commit greater and greater crimes, thereby becoming deserving of hell.

http://www.askthesheikh.com/is-it-fair-that-God-punishes-sinners-for-eternity-in-the-next-world-for-their-sins/

I like to think that hell isn't eternal, but I am told by my mother that it is eternal (even if you're a Shia). I hear other sources saying that "Even if you have thousands of layers of hell fire under your skin, you won't burn as long as you have love for Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and the Ahl al-Bayt (as)". Ok fine it wasn't a source I just got it from some Farsi song about Maula Ali (عليه السلام). Most sources I basically read say that even if you just have an atom's worth of belief in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), you will be taken out of hell fire. This is what I like to believe but who knows if it's true. Only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows best.