Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
dan_rafi

It's OK to slap spendthrift wives - Saudi Judge

Rate this topic

What ya'll think about this?

(CNN) -- Husbands are allowed to slap their wives if they spend lavishly, a Saudi judge said recently during a seminar on domestic violence, Saudi media reported Sunday.

It is OK to slap Saudi women who spend too much, a judge has told an audience.

Arab News, a Saudi English-language daily newspaper based in Riyadh, reported that Judge Hamad Al-Razine said that "if a person gives SR 1,200 [$320] to his wife and she spends 900 riyals [$240] to purchase an abaya [the black cover that women in Saudi Arabia must wear] from a brand shop and if her husband slaps her on the face as a reaction to her action, she deserves that punishment."

Women in the audience immediately and loudly protested Al-Razine's statement, and were shocked to learn the remarks came from a judge, the newspaper reported.

Arab News reported that Al-Razine made his remark as he was attempting to explain why incidents of domestic violence had increased in Saudi Arabia. He said that women and men shared responsibility, but added that "nobody puts even a fraction of blame" on women, the newspaper said.

Al-Razine "also pointed out that women's indecent behavior and use of offensive words against their husbands were some of the reasons for domestic violence in the country," it added.

Domestic violence, which used to be a taboo subject in the conservative kingdom, has become a hot topic in recent years. Groups like the National Family Safety Program have campaigned to educate the public about the problem and help prevent domestic abuse.

Saudi women's rights activist Wajeha Al-Huwaider told CNN that Saudi women routinely face such attitudes.

Don't Miss

* Report: Saudi girl granted divorce

"This is how men in Saudi Arabia see women," she said in a telephone interview from the Saudi city of Dahran. "It's not something they read in a book or learned from a friend. They've been raised to see women this way, that they're less than a person."

Al-Huwaider added that "I'm not surprised to see a judge or a religious man saying that - they've been raised in the same culture - a culture that tells them it's ok to raise your hand to a woman that this works."

Another Saudi judge, in the city of Onaiza, was the source of a separate recent controversy: he twice denied a request from the mother of an 8-year-old girl that the girl be granted a divorce from her 47-year-old husband.

Last month, after human-groups condemned the union, the girl was granted the divorce.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/05/10/...ping/index.html

Edited by dan_rafi

Asalam Alaikum. Well Honestly I don't agree with the part of the wife 'deserving a slap'. Slapping a wife will not solve the problem of her buying an expensive brand name abaya. Why do they have expensive brand name abaya's selling in Saudi Arabia in the first place. Whatever happened to living simply like the Prophet(PBUH) lived. I mean wasn't the husband nice enough to buy her an abaya as a gift. When one buys a gift, than price should not matter. And I don't want to say anything about the judge. Dan_Rafi bhai...what is the link to this article.:yaali:

Allah Hafiz.

Edited by kaali_dal

If he didnt want her to spend the money, why did he give it to her in the first place. Did the money come with conditions? There are far worse and more extravagant and useless things she could have purchased with the money than a boring black abaya.

If the man was into hitting her - he probably just needed an excuse to whack her. A man can do a lot of damage with a hefty blow to a woman's head. The judge has sanctioned injuring her.....over an abaya. :blink:

In Saudi, teenage boys spin out $100,000 cars on the weekend for entertainment.

i'll tell her to run 5 kms, do 50 situps, 50 pushups and 50 pullups as punishment.

:lol:

oh and 30 chinups only coz thats relatively hard..

I could do the run and the sit ups for sure - dont know about the rest. Well, actually I know; I just prefer not to share it.

If he didnt want her to spend the money, why did he give it to her in the first place. Did the money come with conditions? There are far worse and more extravagant and useless things she could have purchased with the money than a boring black abaya.

If the man was into hitting her - he probably just needed an excuse to whack her. A man can do a lot of damage with a hefty blow to a woman's head. The judge has sanctioned injuring her.....over an abaya. :blink:

In Saudi, teenage boys spin out $100,000 cars on the weekend for entertainment.

I was driving through Park Lane (a very classy part of London that joins onto Edgeware Road) , and I hear this rumbling sound - thinking it was probably a lambo - lo and behold, some little arab kid was driving this thing, and it was silver-plated!

such is life....

Edited by Dirac Delta function

I was driving through Park Lane (a very classy part of London that joins onto Edgeware Road) , and I hear this rumbling sound - thinking it was probably a lambo - lo and behold, some little arab kid was driving this thing, and it was silver-plated!

such is life....

The problem is that you need bigger and shinier things to entertain you when your life has no direction or purpose. Where does he go from the Lambo...

I could do the run and the sit ups for sure - dont know about the rest. Well, actually I know; I just prefer not to share it.

awesome, anyone being that fit and makin a good effort to be so healthy is perhaps entitled to the occasiobal branded abaya :D

*occasioNal :blink:

The problem is that you need bigger and shinier things to entertain you when your life has no direction or purpose. Where does he go from the Lambo...

Drugs and hookers. Lots of wealthy Arabs into that.

(though in my opinion Lambo > all women on earth)

Edited by Dirac Delta function

What ya'll think about this?

(CNN) -- Husbands are allowed to slap their wives if they spend lavishly, a Saudi judge said recently during a seminar on domestic violence, Saudi media reported Sunday.

It is OK to slap Saudi women who spend too much, a judge has told an audience.

Arab News, a Saudi English-language daily newspaper based in Riyadh, reported that Judge Hamad Al-Razine said that "if a person gives SR 1,200 [$320] to his wife and she spends 900 riyals [$240] to purchase an abaya [the black cover that women in Saudi Arabia must wear] from a brand shop and if her husband slaps her on the face as a reaction to her action, she deserves that punishment."

Women in the audience immediately and loudly protested Al-Razine's statement, and were shocked to learn the remarks came from a judge, the newspaper reported.

Arab News reported that Al-Razine made his remark as he was attempting to explain why incidents of domestic violence had increased in Saudi Arabia. He said that women and men shared responsibility, but added that "nobody puts even a fraction of blame" on women, the newspaper said.

Al-Razine "also pointed out that women's indecent behavior and use of offensive words against their husbands were some of the reasons for domestic violence in the country," it added.

Domestic violence, which used to be a taboo subject in the conservative kingdom, has become a hot topic in recent years. Groups like the National Family Safety Program have campaigned to educate the public about the problem and help prevent domestic abuse.

Saudi women's rights activist Wajeha Al-Huwaider told CNN that Saudi women routinely face such attitudes.

Don't Miss

* Report: Saudi girl granted divorce

"This is how men in Saudi Arabia see women," she said in a telephone interview from the Saudi city of Dahran. "It's not something they read in a book or learned from a friend. They've been raised to see women this way, that they're less than a person."

Al-Huwaider added that "I'm not surprised to see a judge or a religious man saying that - they've been raised in the same culture - a culture that tells them it's ok to raise your hand to a woman that this works."

Another Saudi judge, in the city of Onaiza, was the source of a separate recent controversy: he twice denied a request from the mother of an 8-year-old girl that the girl be granted a divorce from her 47-year-old husband.

Last month, after human-groups condemned the union, the girl was granted the divorce.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/05/10/...ping/index.html

People here bring on arguments from the Book of God justifying violence against wives. This mullah hasn't said something blatantly ridiculous. He is speaking within the paradigm. So you are mistaken if you think he is talking out of the hole in his hat (or whatever he covers his head with). Remember he is Saudi too.

Edited by Marbles

Uh.. Have u seen that movie slap her she's french?

Yah they should make another one: "slap her she's SAUDI"

that judge is a wahabi thats y.. Besides they make all sorta laws 2 justify hitting women..

Eh! Am so upset! These laws r just mean & unethical :( even shia r following those stuff tho their merjias disagree with em :(

I hate saudi. I hate saudi. I hate saudi.

Stupid wahabi judges.

If my wife (well, my future wife, don't have one now) were to buy an expensive item, just because it's a certain BRAND, while there is an equal item which is cheaper, I'll let her get away with it occasionally (if my future financial situation allows it). BUT : if she keeps doing this, I'll tell her to either return it, or, I'll take money from her own bank account equal to the difference between the expensive & normal items.

Let me start by saying I am 100 percent against domestic abuse. The only circumstance in which it should be acceptable is if the man's life is threatened by his wife. Anything short of that, and I think a man who beats is wife is a very pitiful and contemptible creature.

But I just don't understand the reaction to these things in the West. Men abusing their wives is not against the tenets of feminism. On the contrary, it is COMPLETELY admissible according to such principles. Because feminism asserts the fallacy that men and women are no different from one another in any way, shape or form. And as such, a fight between a man and a woman should be treated just as a fight between two men is treated. When important distinctions and differences between the genders are ignored, with it they must also ignore their moral compass with respect to domestic abuse. However, because they don't, we should call them what they are: hypocrites.

Let me start by saying I am 100 percent against domestic abuse. The only circumstance in which it should be acceptable is if the man's life is threatened by his wife. Anything short of that, and I think a man who beats is wife is a very pitiful and contemptible creature.

But I just don't understand the reaction to these things in the West. Men abusing their wives is not against the tenets of feminism. On the contrary, it is COMPLETELY admissible according to such principles. Because feminism asserts the fallacy that men and women are no different from one another in any way, shape or form. And as such, a fight between a man and a woman should be treated just as a fight between two men is treated. When important distinctions and differences between the genders are ignored, with it they must also ignore their moral compass with respect to domestic abuse. However, because they don't, we should call them what they are: hypocrites.

Agreed 1 million %

Uh.. Have u seen that movie slap her she's french?

Yah they should make another one: "slap her she's SAUDI"

that judge is a wahabi thats y.. Besides they make all sorta laws 2 justify hitting women..

Eh! Am so upset! These laws r just mean & unethical :( even shia r following those stuff tho their merjias disagree with em :(

I hate saudi. I hate saudi. I hate saudi.

Hey, don't hate on saudis too much.... u may end up with a saudi hubby... u neva know :P

(though in my opinion Lambo > all women on earth)

nah man every retard with too much money chases after lambos. if you are a man then koenigsegg is where its at

NO woman is better than that beauty :wub:

oh yeah..er..on topic. domestic violence is bad

nah man every retard with too much money chases after lambos. if you are a man then koenigsegg is where its at

NO woman is better than that beauty :wub:

oh yeah..er..on topic. domestic violence is bad

Yeh, it's a badass car.

You got to hand it to the Swedes - a country with a population only about 9 million making stuff like that and Gripen.

Plus they're nice people.

But I just don't understand the reaction to these things in the West. Men abusing their wives is not against the tenets of feminism. On the contrary, it is COMPLETELY admissible according to such principles. Because feminism asserts the fallacy that men and women are no different from one another in any way, shape or form.

This is a blatantly misinformed statement on what feminism stands for.

And as such, a fight between a man and a woman should be treated just as a fight between two men is treated. When important distinctions and differences between the genders are ignored, with it they must also ignore their moral compass with respect to domestic abuse. However, because they don't, we should call them what they are: hypocrites.

lol, This is totally wrong. The raison d'être of feminism is that women are physically weaker and prone to abuse, have been abused and still abused. Not the opposite. Or we would have masculinism (sic) as well.

Edited by Marbles

salam alaikum

Quraan 4:34

" and those (wives) that you are afraid from thier noshooz then advice them (and if that does not work) then leave them ( if that too didnt work) then BEAT them "

the prophet explained to us how we must beat our wives without leaving marks or bruises and with thin stick like the siwak, so any one who is getting married get your miswak sticks ready :!!!: .

Some people say the word "Idhriboohunna" does not mean to beat them but most people who say this are non-arabic speakers who are living in denial and probably still believe that the earth is flat. Not only they deny the clear linguistic meaning of the word which means to beat but they also deny all the evidence that has come from the prophets instructions on the beating of the wife.

of course the prophet did not say beat your wife for any reason... the reason mentioned is noshooz and noshooz is a great crime and a breach of the marital contract.

Edited by alimohamad40

" and those (wives) that you are afraid from thier noshooz then advice them (and if that does not work) then leave them ( if that too didnt work) then BEAT them"

Why do you stop here? Just go a step further and kill them. Of course you can find many justifications for that too. After all, people of your kind take pride in beating their wives and call it their 'Islamic right'.

the prophet explained to us how we must beat our wives without leaving marks or bruises and with thin stick like the siwak,
Not only they deny the clear linguistic meaning of the word which means to beat but they also deny all the evidence that has come from the prophets instructions on the beating of the wife

Ah I see. The art of beating wives.

Some people say the word "Idhriboohunna" does not mean to beat them but most people who say this are non-arabic speakers who are living in denial and probably still believe that the earth is flat. .

of course the prophet did not say beat your wife for any reason... the reason mentioned is noshooz and noshooz is a great crime and a breach of the marital contract.

Nietzsche reincarnate.

Well if the wife is doing nshoz or watever.. Beating her as going 2 make her does it even more!

This stupid judge is giving a real bad image 2 islam.. Imagine my american friend just emailed me abt it! :s

the issue in saudi is bigger that a husband slapping.. Look @ the psycho dads who hit their kids so hard they might even cause disabilities! And Guess wat? According 2 those judge its ok coz they r disiplining 'or watever the sp is' their kids. And the sad part is nobody ever listen 2 the girls' defences! Like her dad could make up a reason like she was gazing @ a hottie in the mall or something then he's not only going 2 be free with that reason, but the girl might even get punished by the judge! Hw sick is that?

some1 should do something 2 stop violance in saudi!!

or we could just 4 imam mahdi & solve it :P

There is no such thing as measured hitting.

People are not for hitting.

Anyone who thinks that hitting someone is going to bring a positive change in anything, is incapable of reasoned thought and should be on disablity with medication.

^ i totally agree!!

Those men have so much negative energy & they just want 2 get rid of it by hitting coz their lives r just Boring! & 2 empty..

There is no such thing as measured hitting.

People are not for hitting.

Anyone who thinks that hitting someone is going to bring a positive change in anything, is incapable of reasoned thought and should be on disablity with medication.

Why then whip fornicators, people caught drinking alcohol, etc.? Physical punishments (or rewards for that matter) are a pretty effective way of bringing about a conditioning in people.

Well if the wife is doing nshoz or watever.. Beating her as going 2 make her does it even more!

This stupid judge is giving a real bad image 2 islam.. Imagine my american friend just emailed me abt it! :s

the issue in saudi is bigger that a husband slapping.. Look @ the psycho dads who hit their kids so hard they might even cause disabilities! And Guess wat? According 2 those judge its ok coz they r disiplining 'or watever the sp is' their kids. And the sad part is nobody ever listen 2 the girls' defences! Like her dad could make up a reason like she was gazing @ a hottie in the mall or something then he's not only going 2 be free with that reason, but the girl might even get punished by the judge! Hw sick is that?

some1 should do something 2 stop violance in saudi!!

or we could just 4 imam mahdi & solve it :P

Saudi society is a diseased society. The worst of feudalism exists there in the name of religion. Men have all the rights and there are no mechanisms in place to stop them from trespassing even Islamic limits, not to mention the secular ones. In fact, their religion has become THE problem. Any attempt to correct is bound to fail. It's too late now, sadly. This society has to be completely dismantled and build on something else other than Wahhabi Islam if we want to give justice a chance.

Why then whip fornicators, people caught drinking alcohol, etc.? Physical punishments (or rewards for that matter) are a pretty effective way of bringing about a conditioning in people.

We should not. Doesn't work.

If it doesn't work, why does Islam proscribe such penalties?

Terrorizing or torturing children or adults stops people from being so open about what they do (go underground or become more sneaky) but does not change the behaviour.

If you want to change behaviour, you have to change the way people think about their behaviour and that is done through methods such as cognitive or dialetical behavioural change therapy.

I dont understand the harshness of the penalties other than to scare the populace watching the application - hence why it is done in public.

It wouldn't help the individual much - if they live through it. (lashing a woman with little muscle on her back 100 times would probably kill her. Lungs and kidneys would hemmorage) I dont think that punishment was meant to "fix" her - just the opposite.

Dont know what you mean about "conditioning". You can definitely break people emotionally and physically and that is what this would accomplish.

There would be no cognitive conditioning taking place, just the opposite.

Lots of research on torturing and humilating and de-humanizing people and the results of such. The strongest of the survivors strengthen their resolve.

Edited by Maryaam

Dont know what you mean about "conditioning". You can definitely break people emotionally and physically and that is what this would accomplish.

There would be no cognitive conditioning taking place, just the opposite.

Lots of research on torturing and humilating and de-humanizing people and the results of such. The strongest of the survivors strengthen their resolve.

Wrong. Whipping people does not come close to the types of torture researched and their effects.