Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
sjpeters79

Death

Rate this topic

Salaam,

I hope and pray everyone is well Insha Allah.

Lately my thoughts have been centred around defining myself and explaining what is left of myself after I die. I wish to gain a better understanding of who I am.

Death is a very important part of that because it is true separator of what we think to be ourselves and who we truly are. A human being is define as three, mind, body and soul. We know we are not the body because simply it is but something that fades away. We know that we are soul because that is what will last longest. But what of the mind. The mind a baffling entity. It conjures up so many options at your disposal for whatever task. But is the mind really us? Recently I watched a lecture on 'The end of negative suffering' by Br. Khalil Jaffer in regards to this topic and he says that we not the mind but the being behind the thinker within us. So my question is that besides the body will the mind also die when we leave this world?

Salaam,

I hope and pray everyone is well Insha Allah.

Lately my thoughts have been centred around defining myself and explaining what is left of myself after I die. I wish to gain a better understanding of who I am.

Death is a very important part of that because it is true separator of what we think to be ourselves and who we truly are. A human being is define as three, mind, body and soul. We know we are not the body because simply it is but something that fades away. We know that we are soul because that is what will last longest. But what of the mind. The mind a baffling entity. It conjures up so many options at your disposal for whatever task. But is the mind really us? Recently I watched a lecture on 'The end of negative suffering' by Br. Khalil Jaffer in regards to this topic and he says that we not the mind but the being behind the thinker within us. So my question is that besides the body will the mind also die when we leave this world?

If you would really like to understand more about eschatology in Islam, then I recommend you read what Mulla Sadra says about this.

There is a tripartite distinction -> Spirit (Rooh), Soul (nafs), and body (jism).

These are not three distinct entities. they are rather three aspects of the same reality. the body is merely the manifestation of the spirit. The soul is both the spirit and the body, and is also neither the spirit nor the body. It is am ambiguous factor (what in Islamic philosophy would be called an imaginal reality). The soul is who you really are.

you are a being that is created through this time continuum (that we find ourselves in). Right now you (your nafs or soul) is being created. To be more precise, your soul (nafs) is developing as it spans through time. The soul can either lean toward the spirit (it can become spiritual or spiritualized) or it can lean toward the body (and will therefore be subject to generation and corruption). The more the soul becomes spiritualized (through its development) the more harmonious it becomes (because the spirit is what contains all the eternal attributes of Allah). The more the soul leans toward the body (which constantly gets renewed and is essentially fleeting and transient), the less harmonious it becomes. It is this soul (in its very nature) that either becomes its own Hell (disharmony) or its ow Paradise (harmony).

Wow, I guess I missed that part in the negative suffering lecture, one of my favorite lectures actually. But that is a very interesting question, one that Ive asked myself from time to time...as in what will happen to this amazing thing called the mind, all the amazing thoughts stored in it, its ability to find patterns within them to form new thoughts, its way of revealing things out of nowhere...

My guess is that we will have something even better than the mind after death and therefore wont miss the old technology much...(altho all technology, whether temporal or in the after life, is baaaad!)

I'm not sure I have anything to contribute right now, but I think this is something that most people think about some time in their life........ those who think about it before old age are fortunate since many people are heedless...

However I do have one question, do you know any good online lectures (preferably English) that discuss the nature of the ruh in depth?

These are not three distinct entities. they are rather three aspects of the same reality. the body is merely the manifestation of the spirit. The soul is both the spirit and the body, and is also neither the spirit nor the body. It is am ambiguous factor (what in Islamic philosophy would be called an imaginal reality). The soul is who you really are.

I really don't understand the radical and irrational claims you seem to be making here...

You first draw a distinction between the Mind, Body, and Soul (or Spirit) but this is rather presumptuous; for if

the only thing one has direct and real access to is one's mind and body; why presuppose this idea of a soul?..

If it's from reliance on textual evidence than it is nothing more than hearsay...

You then go on to rationalize how this immaterial, noumenal thing you call a Soul could exist in the same reality as a physical body and encompass the mind yet this is the one of the main tenants behind rejecting the idea of a Soul. That is to say there is no evidence to support the belief that an immaterial, non-physical thing could have any sort of relationship with physical reality. Most notably that there is no causal relationship between a Soul and a Body or Mind. But one could always and you will most probably appeal to the will of Allah as instantiating some kind of relationship, maybe something along the lines of recreating the world or all of reality continuously, that is from one moment to the next; or maybe through the notion of pre-established harmony where God syncs the possibly infinite relationship between these entities before the start of time. However both these response are not without their rightful criticisms and if you choose one or both of them I will gladly clarify the rebuttals.

But what is really just absolute nonsense is your claim that "The soul is who you really are". Who one is, is their personal identity, something that is subject to time/memory/habit or just their general being...What I think you could mean is that the soul is the essence of who someone is; yet that is not what is portrayed; we do not engage each other souls, we engage each others thoughts, each others mannerisms but never the thing you call the Soul...

The whole talk of the harmonies of the Soul seems to be regurgitated Early Modern philosophy that Islamic scholars use to propel their ambitions of conversion and obedience...

If you are looking for some sort of transcendence of the human condition, it is not in the fairy tales of religion, it is not in the return to absolutes for certainty; there is no certainty, absolutes are subjective faith, even rationality itself is subjective faith, but perception exists, the mind exists and that is all that exists. To appeal to a mind-independent reality for a groundwork of beliefs is to gravely err...

To sjpeters79: You need to think about what the mind is and examine the various theories of mind out there before asking the question of its existence after death. But if your firm belief is that there is a distinction between a Mind, Body, and Soul then I see of no way of preserving the being your are now, after death...

A human being is define as three, mind, body and soul.

Who told you that a human being is the compound of the mind, body and soul?

There is no such division in Islam. According to Islam, there is only the body and the spirit (rooh). Sometimes you will come across mention of nafs, but that is not a distinct entity from these two - it is, depending on the context, a reference to the body or the spirit or particular aspects of each.