Sign in to follow this  
xenium

Hussaini Brahmans in Karbala

Rate this topic

Brahmans in Karbala

COLUMN: By Intizar Husain

LITERARY NOTES

An interesting aricle was publishe in the famous daily DAWN. Here I am posting it just for information

The history of Husaini Brahmans, as told by Nonica Dutt, begins with ten Brahmans going to

Karbala with the determination to die fighting for Imam Husain. Among them were

Rahib Dutt and his seven sons who fought bravely and resolutely.

With the blessings of Imam Husain they met their death in a heroic way.

Rahib Dutt was the lone survivor of the battle.

WITH the arrival of Muharram this year, I was reminded of an encounter

I had with an unusual, intelligent girl in Delhi who asserted that she

was a Husaini Brahman. I recall referring to Prem Chand's play 'Karbala'

in one of my addresses, which was based on a legend.

The legend was about a group of eight Hindu brothers

who had somehow reached Karbala determined to die fighting

for the cause that Imam Husain stood for. They fought bravely

and sacrificed their lives in devotion to Imam Husain. It was in

this context that I was talking about Husaini Brahmans, who

seemed to have vanished from the social scene in India.

All of a sudden, a girl from among the audience stood up and challenged my statement.

She said, 'Here I am before you. My name is Nonica Dutt. I belong to a Husaini Brahman family.'

It was clearly a pleasant surprise for me, something like discovering a rare bird while

walking through a jungle.

The girl promised me an exclusive meeting to enlighten me with interesting information

about the Husaini Brahmanian background of her family. But the proposed meeting kept

on being postponed for one reason or the other. Finally, on the last day of my stay in Delhi,

I received a call from her.

'Let us meet now,' she said

'But I have no evening to spare for you. Today is the last day of my stay in your city,' I said.

'But I am already in the lounge and I must meet you,' she said.

So we finally had a meeting. She entered my room with two large volumes under her arm.

I proposed a detailed sitting on my next visit, which was due after a month or so.

'But in the coming months, I will not be in Delhi. I am moving to Germany and will spend

four months at the Humboldt University.' Nonica Dutt taught history at Jawahar Lal University

and had been honoured with a fellowship from the Humboldt University. Hence she was on

her way to Germany.

'I,' she said, 'told my mother about your comments regarding Husaini Brahamans

and how I introduced myself as one. To that she said, did you tell him that we don't

perform the rituals the Brahmans are obliged to perform. That we don't go to the temples?'

'Should I presume from this,' I asked, 'that you have turned Muslim.'

'No, we are not Muslims,' she exclaimed.

'Then what are you?' I inquired.

'We are Husaini Brahmans,' she said with a certain sense of pride and added,

'Now, I will tell you about a sign each and every Husaini Brahman carries with him/her.

On his/her throat s/he bears a line of cutting, which is indicative of the fact that s/he is

the descendant of those Brahmans whose throats were cut in the battle of Karbala.'

Then she told me about the ritual carried out on the birth of every child in her family.

She said, 'Among Brahmans, after child birth, the ritual of Moondan is performed.

In our family this ritual is performed in the name of Imam Husain.'

She then went on to tell me the historical facts. 'I will now tell you about the history of our

martyred forefathers.' Pointing to the two books placed on the table she said, 'our entire

history is conserved within these two books. When needed, I will quote from them.'

Considering their worn out and pale pages, the books, which were written in English,

seemed to be centuries old.

The history of Husaini Brahmans, as told by Nonica Dutt, begins with ten Brahmans

going to Karbala with the determination to die fighting for Imam Husain.

Among them were Rahib Dutt and his seven sons who fought bravely and resolutely.

With the blessings of Imam Husain they met their death in a heroic way.

Rahib Dutt was the lone survivor of the battle. From Karbala he escaped to Kufa,

where he stayed for some time. It is said that Rahib had the privilege of meeting

the members of the Imam's family after the massacre. He introduced himself by saying,

'I am a Brahman from Hindustan.' The reply came, 'Now you are Husaini Brahman.

We will always remember you.'

Rahib went from Kufa to Afghanistan, and from there came back to India where

he stayed for a few days in Nankana. Nonica paused for a while and then spoke,

'In the Sialkot district there is a town known as Viran Vatan. That place is our ancestral home.

We are the descendants of Rahib Dutt. He had brought with him a hair of Imam Husain,

which is ensconced in the Hazratbal shrine in Kashmir. She then recited a few couplets

from the book she had brought along with her, in which these incidents have been recorded.

'These couplets,' she said, 'are very popular among the Husaini Brahmans.'

Nonica shut the book and said 'Let me inform you that Sunil Dutt was also a Husaini Brahman.

And the father of Nargis too was a Husaini Brahman.'

She got up saying 'Now I must go.'

'I think,' I said, 'after you return from Germany, I should make a point to come to Delhi

so that you can introduce me to your father. I will perhaps be able to know much more

about your ancestors from him.'

She said goodbye and left hurriedly. I had been under the impression that the story

of the eight Brahmins was just a legend. But Nonica firmly believed that it is a historical fact.

And it is the belief of Nonica and her community that really counts. For them the event is a reality.

__._,_.___

http://dawn. com/weekly/ books/books12. htm

January 20, 2008

i can confirm at least part of that article - hussaini brahmin mallangs frequently used to enter our village back home when they were passing through on their way to somewhere else, and they most definately did have the scars/ lines on their throats, it was like a birthmark. all members of my family who lived in the village are witness to it. when they came WHATEVER they asked for they were given.

as for the rest - i do believe that the history of the hussaini brahmins is tied up with the story of kerbala. tantalisingly, if i remember correctly a portion of hazrat mukhtar the avengers army was made up of hindus. whether they are the family or followers of the hussaini brahmins i dunno.

finally the riwayats of aleppo (hallab). most people say that it was a christian who paid the army of yazeed LA to keep the blessed head of maula hussain (as) for one night so he could prepare it and clean it.

one riwayat i heard when in shaam this year, when i did ziarat, was that it wasnt a christian, it was rahab HIMSELF who paid for the head, and he wasnt involved in the battle but lived in hallab with his family. when the qafila passed through he remembered his youth when he asked maula hussain to pray for him to have sons, which was granted.

anyway when the night was over and the army came for the head, he cut off the head of his oldest son and said "this is the head of hussain" in order to keep it. they took the head and realised that it wasnt his head, so they went back to rahab, and he sacrificed his second son..and so on, until he had no sons left to sacrifice he was forced to give the head back.

when imam zainul abideen (as) heard of this he instructed rahab to place the heads of his sons back with their necks, and then all his sons came back to life, but with scars on their necks where they were cut. this is the origin of the birthmarks of the hussaini brahmins.

the history of the hussaini brahmins is attacked always by the ilm e rijal fanatics. but allahu aalim. i believe in the story of rahab. may Allah be pleased with him, his sons and their offpring who love hussain, for the SAKE of their love of hussain. try telling THEM about "bad impressions" lol.

heres a good account of the hindu side:

MUTUAL RELATIONSHIP AND INFLUENCE BETWEEN ISLAM , HINDUISM AND OTHER FAITHS

10 Moharrum, Higri 60, when Yazid’s army had surrounded the Imam Hussein’s (as) entourage, Imam Hussein (as) in his last speech had requested the Muslims to give him the way. India at that time was a Hindu nation and there were no Muslims here. An apostle of Islam had expressed his desire to go to India. The speech of Imam Hussein (as) indicated that Hindus shunned violence; they were just and affectionate towards each other. He had expressed desire to come to India and did not want to go to any Islamic country because He was the incarnation and knew that He would be unsafe in any Muslim country. He had full fait and trust on Indians. The second reason he had wanted to go to India was because his wife Shahar Bano and Maharaja’s wife were sisters, and he was certain to be welcomed
Zainul Abideen (as), the eldest son of Imam Hussein (as) had written a letter to Maharaja Chandra Gupta, outlining the atrocities perpetrated by Yazid and had sought cooperation from the Maharaja. The letter is still available in the museum in Rajasthan.

On receipt of the letter, Maharaja dispatched a force with sufficient strength. The Dutt Brahmins comprised major portion of the force. When the force reached Iraq, Imam Hussein (as) had attained martyrdom with 72 persons of his entourage. One of his disciples, Ameere Mukhtar was in the process of avenging and eliminating the enemies of Imam Hussein (as) .On learning the arrival of Indian contingent, Mukhtar welcomed the force and where they were first stationed, is known as ''Darra-e-Hindeeya'' even today. On learning the fate of Islamic Imam (as), Indian contingent joined forces of Mukhtar and fought bravely under Commander Bhurya Dutt. Later on, a part of the contingent stayed back while the others returned back. When King Chandra Gupta learnt about the battle of Karbala, he was grief-stricken. Maharaja commiserates martyrdom of Imam Hussein (as)

King Chandra Gupta was overwhelmed with sorrow on the martyrdom of Imam Hussein (as) and whole kingdom offered homage to the departed soul. Thus Moharrum commenced from India and this sacrifice of Imam Hussein(AS) is vividly celebrated by the Indian poets in their poems. Hindus share the sorrow and grief of Karbala martyrdom with their Muslim brothers. 5000 Indian soldiers were dispatched to Iraq

Hindi writer Raj Kumar Asthana in his book ''Ancient India'' has written that Meher Bano aka Chandra Lekha was daughter of Shah of Iran Zazozard and was married to Indian king Chandra Gupta and her son Samundra Gupta ascended to throne of India. On the basis of this relationship, Imam Hussein (as) had expressed his desire to come to India. Asthana further writes that for the battle of Karbala, Chandra Gupta Maurya had dispatched an Indian force of 5000 under the command of General Bhurya Dutt. After traveling great distances, when the force reached Kufa, Imam Hussein (as) had already attained martyrdom. Ameere Mukhtar had risen in revolt and was taking revenge on Yazid. Half of the Indian force remained back to fight the unjust and remaining half returned to India. When this contingent returned to India, Chandra Gupta had died and Samundra Gupta had ascended the throne. This fact has been mentioned in ''Tafsir-e-Islam''.

Brahmin did not know about the battle of Karbala. When forces of Yazid were returning back , they halted for the night at the temple of Brahmin. They were carrying the 72 decapitated heads of Hussein(AS) and his followers on their lances.

During nighttime, they use to put the heads into the boxes for safe custody. When they put the 72 heads in the boxes in temple , Brahmin did not like it that his temple was being used for such purposes. When he went to bed, he could not sleep. He would get up from the bed, take a round of temple and lie on bed again. In one such round, he found light emanating from the box.

Brahmin was amazed and thought that temple had caught fire .The commander of Yazid said that it is not fire but light radiating from the slain head of Hussein(AS). Then he narrated the full story of the battle of Karbala and Brahmin was disturbed to hear Imam Hussein’s(AS) martyrdom. He told his sons that the head of their benefactor, who had granted them life is kept in the temple. Early next morning, the seven sons of Brahmin fought the Yazid's army till they were slain.

After the departure of Yazid’s army, the Brahmin took the dead bodies and heads to a nearby place and put them together .Then he prayed to Imam Hussein(AS): Imam sahib, by your prayers and blessings, these seven sons were born. They died defending you. Now I pray you to grant them life again. His prayer was answered and all seven were alive again. However, they bore the mark of slitting on their throats .This cut mark is even now found on the throats of Husseini Brahmins, the Brahmin with seven sons left Iraq and returned India to settle down in Punjab, and the Husseini Brahmins came to be associated with slit marks on throats.

Masha Allah Br Maula da Malang.

Those who have posted unfavourable remarks about Malangs in different threads, should open there eyes and see the real face of a true MALANG.

Jeway KAREEM ajtfs.

There are thousands of Hindu Brahmans in Silhit, the tea producing zone of Bangladesh. Even today they celebrate Aashuar just like Shias. They bring out a procession of Shabeeh e Taboot e Mubarak of Maula Kareem e Karbala sua. They spend the whole day on the roads and do not eat or deink the whole day.

Hussain sua Sub Ka.

Who will stop them from going to Heaven?????????????

i can confirm at least part of that article - hussaini brahmin mallangs frequently used to enter our village back home when they were passing through on their way to somewhere else, and they most definately did have the scars/ lines on their throats, it was like a birthmark. all members of my family who lived in the village are witness to it. when they came WHATEVER they asked for they were given.

as for the rest - i do believe that the history of the hussaini brahmins is tied up with the story of kerbala. tantalisingly, if i remember correctly a portion of hazrat mukhtar the avengers army was made up of hindus. whether they are the family or followers of the hussaini brahmins i dunno.

finally the riwayats of aleppo (hallab). most people say that it was a christian who paid the army of yazeed LA to keep the blessed head of maula hussain (as) for one night so he could prepare it and clean it.

one riwayat i heard when in shaam this year, when i did ziarat, was that it wasnt a christian, it was rahab HIMSELF who paid for the head, and he wasnt involved in the battle but lived in hallab with his family. when the qafila passed through he remembered his youth when he asked maula hussain to pray for him to have sons, which was granted.

anyway when the night was over and the army came for the head, he cut off the head of his oldest son and said "this is the head of hussain" in order to keep it. they took the head and realised that it wasnt his head, so they went back to rahab, and he sacrificed his second son..and so on, until he had no sons left to sacrifice he was forced to give the head back.

when imam zainul abideen (as) heard of this he instructed rahab to place the heads of his sons back with their necks, and then all his sons came back to life, but with scars on their necks where they were cut. this is the origin of the birthmarks of the hussaini brahmins.

the history of the hussaini brahmins is attacked always by the ilm e rijal fanatics. but allahu aalim. i believe in the story of rahab. may Allah be pleased with him, his sons and their offpring who love hussain, for the SAKE of their love of hussain. try telling THEM about "bad impressions" lol.

Same story as the Qasida Rab Jane Te Hussain Jane?

(bismillah)

(salam)

Let me clarify a few facts............OP mentions that Rahib Dutt brought a hair of Imam Hussain(AS) to the Hazratbal Shrine in Kashmir......this is not correct, Hazratbal Shrine contains a hair attributed to Prophet Muhammad(SAAW), which was brought by Islamic preachers who had come to Kashmir Valley...i myself am from Kashmir,and,i can assure you of this fact.

Point two, OP mentiones that after Karbala Rahbar Dutt went to Kufa, where he met Imams(AS) family, what family? The family of Our Master Imam Hussain(AS) ,whatever was left of it after the Massacre in Karbala were taken to Sham, rest of the family like Muhammad Hannafiya, Abdullah(husband of hadrat Zainab) were in Medina........So what is the family that was supposed to be in Kufa?

I dont want to be a skeptic , but reports like these should be taken with a pinch of salt. Also one brother mentioned regarding these Hussainy Brahmans,who apparently died in Karbala that "who can deny them jannah". Brother, our Master Imam Hussain(AS) sacrificed himself and his family only for Allah(SWT) sake, do you think He(AS) would have allowed those who associate things with Allah ,to die for him(AS)? Far removed is our Hussain(AS) from it, He(AS) even refused the help of the angels and the jinns, do you think he(AS, may i be sacrificed for him) would have allowed the polytheists to die for him??

Here, i remember, i once read a book by a scholar regarding the various dubious reports surrounding Karbala, i remember vividly, a point the scholar made. He had mentioned the peoples" thinking level and piety is far far below that of Imam Hussain(AS) and the Martyrs of Karbala, and the biggest injustice people do, is since they cant reach those lofty levels of intellect, they try ( unknowingly) to bring down the level of the Imam(AS) and the Martyrs to their own low level.This indeed is the biggest injustice.........

"Indeed, I have not risen up to do mischief, neither as an adventurer, nor to cause corruption and tyranny. I have risen up solely to seek the reform of the Ummah of my grandfather (SAAW). I want to command what is good and stop what is wrong, and (in this) I follow the conduct of my grandfather and my father, 'Ali ibn Abi Talib(AS).

From the will of Imam Hussein(AS) that was dictated to Muhammad ibn Hannifiyah before he departed from Makkah."

Wasallam

Edited by fahim

Same story as the Qasida Rab Jane Te Hussain Jane?

thats the one ;) may pyare khan rest in peace

(bismillah)

(salam)

Point two, OP mentiones that after Karbala Rahbar Dutt went to Kufa, where he met Imams(AS) family, what family? The family of Our Master Imam Hussain(AS) ,whatever was left of it after the Massacre in Karbala were taken to Sham, rest of the family like Muhammad Hannafiya, Abdullah(husband of hadrat Zainab) were in Medina........So what is the family that was supposed to be in Kufa?

Wasallam

kerbala to KUFA. kufa to shaam. bro have you never heard a single story of the caravan?

kerbala to KUFA. kufa to shaam. bro have you never heard a single story of the caravan?

(bismillah)

Bro, i am not talking about the caravan.............the way its mentioned in OP , it appeared to me the statement in the OP meant that Rahib Dutt met with the EXTENDED family of the Imam(AS).Since the caravan was accompanied by the cursed soldiers of Yazid(la) , and that too after Rahib Dutt had apparently fought in Karbala, how he managed to escape from the eyes of the soldiers accompying the caravan..........its a bit far fetched.

But this is not the point............did the event ( regarding these brahmans) actually happen, well thats the real issue.........And Allah knows best.

Wasallam

Masha Allah Br Maula da Malang.

Those who have posted unfavourable remarks about Malangs in different threads, should open there eyes and see the real face of a true MALANG.

Jeway KAREEM ajtfs.

There are thousands of Hindu Brahmans in Silhit, the tea producing zone of Bangladesh. Even today they celebrate Aashuar just like Shias. They bring out a procession of Shabeeh e Taboot e Mubarak of Maula Kareem e Karbala sua. They spend the whole day on the roads and do not eat or deink the whole day.

Hussain sua Sub Ka.

Who will stop them from going to Heaven?????????????

Allah Perhaps?

The Quran doesnt appear to be to kind to rat and monkey worshippers.

hmm bro fahim there is SOME link between the hindus and kufa - in fact i am sure there is a district in kufa where hindus STILL live - descendents of those who joined hazrat mukhtar the avenger.

whether he met the family there or not, he definately met with haztat mukhtar at SOME point

hmm bro fahim there is SOME link between the hindus and kufa - in fact i am sure there is a district in kufa where hindus STILL live - descendents of those who joined hazrat mukhtar the avenger.

whether he met the family there or not, he definately met with haztat mukhtar at SOME point

(bismillah)

(salam)

Bro, this is an intresting discource, a few years ago i had heard of these so called Hussainy Brahmans, i tried to do my own little bit of research, but there are too many contradictions..........the link you provided :

MUTUAL RELATIONSHIP AND INFLUENCE BETWEEN ISLAM , HINDUISM AND OTHER FAITHS

I read it, but although the author goes by the name of Hassnain, but honestly i doubt it, he is talking about the Prophet and Imams being incarnations of god(naudbillah).....there are too many loop holes in the story, it isnt refrenced properly, the letter it taks about by Imam Zain ul abideen(AS) being in A MUSEUM in Rajasthan.....again does not provide the refrence,which museum??.........Then regarding the marathas....they certainly dont make Tazias etc.........again its too far fetched.I guess its another SECULARIST maneouvre of Indians to say "all religions afterall teach the same"

Why are not there any hadiths or reports from our side to this story? Its too shaky and far fetched to believe...........and ofcourse Allah(SWT) knows best.

Wasallam

Edited by fahim

Can you say which area?

Bros please look at the Indian History before quoting anything.

The period of Chandragupta and Samudragupta is hundreds of year earlier than the Imam Hussain was born. May someone who is well versed in Indian History can confirm this.

Bros please look at the Indian History before quoting anything.

The period of Chandragupta and Samudragupta is hundreds of year earlier than the Imam Hussain was born. May someone who is well versed in Indian History can confirm this.

(bismillah)

OH ! my God, how did we miss it...........yes you are Bang ON ..........Chandragupta Maurya was born in 340 BC and died in 298 BC, source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandragupta_Maurya

A real moron the person who has written this article: MUTUAL RELATIONSHIP AND INFLUENCE BETWEEN ISLAM , HINDUISM AND OTHER FAITHS Mr. Z.Hasnain( if that is his real name, which i totally doubt) needs REHAB !!!

This really should settle the matter ONCE AND FOR ALL..........

Wasallam

Even shia's don't have the exact dates and order or even the complete details of all the events related to Karbala, there is still disagreement about the number children of Imam Hussain and their age let alone anything else, same way when you read an account of hindu brahmin about what they beleive happend in Karbala and what role their ancestors played, don't expect everything to mesh 100% with what shia history tells us. The fact that they show devotion towards Imam Hussian is itself by itself amazing and shows how love of Imam Hussain knows no religous boundaries.

Silhit is a tea producing belt of Bangladesh.

There are many hindu families living there.

Every year on 10th Muharram, these hindus perform azadari, bring out a procession of Taboot of Syed ush Shuhada sua. The sped the whole day in the streets.

The incredible gullibility of many Shias is once again on display I see. Needless the say there is not a shred of actual historical evidence to support any of this. Not to mention that the story itself has more holes than a Swiss cheese. This made me laugh though:

The legend was about a group of eight Hindu brothers who had somehow reached Karbala determined to die fighting for the cause that Imam Husain stood for. They fought bravely and sacrificed their lives in devotion to Imam Husain.

If someone remains a mushrik then they have no idea whatsoever about the cause that Imam Husayn (as) stood for.

^^Dude you have to stop scrutinizing people and bashing them, in general (not directly at this post). Try to help educate people. People are people, and they have their faults and ignorance. Not everyone lives in the west, nor is everyone given sources or people to help them understand what is the truth or isnt. This has been like this since Adam A.S, it will never change. What can change is how you and your click go about this. You want people to follow and understand you? Then dont act in a matter where they despise and hate you, or even further want to follow their ignorant ways. Not everyone is a genius Bid'ha detector like yourself. God should have sent you to bash the idols in the kaaba, sheesh. This is the internet. Clearly, everyone is not equipped with aql. Sorry for the rant, im just honestly sick and tired of you and your clicks ways of addressing such issues.

^^Dude you have to stop scrutinizing people and bashing them, in general (not directly at this post). Try to help educate people. People are people, and they have their faults and ignorance. Not everyone lives in the west, nor is everyone given sources or people to help them understand what is the truth or isnt. This has been like this since Adam A.S, it will never change. What can change is how you and your click go about this. You want people to follow and understand you? Then dont act in a matter where they despise and hate you, or even further want to follow their ignorant ways. Not everyone is a genius Bid'ha detector like yourself. God should have sent you to bash the idols in the kaaba, sheesh. This is the internet. Clearly, everyone is not equipped with aql. Sorry for the rant, im just honestly sick and tired of you and your clicks ways of addressing such issues.

I think you mean 'clique', but anyway... I'm sorry, but I've tried 'educating' people. They just come out with dumb arguments like 'You can't prove it never happened!!! Who cares if there is no evidence, that doesn't mean it never happened!!!', etc. Some people just can't handle things they believe in being questioned, let alone refuted. If there was a possibility of honest dialogue where evidence and rational arguments would prevail, then that would be one thing, but in my experience all you get is heated emotions and a lot of hot air from people who aren't even open to the possibility that they might be wrong.

The people posting in this thread were not brought up in some remote part of the world with no access to basic education. They should have known better, as should most people who hear stupid stuff on the mimbar, but prefer to suspend disbelief rather than doubt the authority figure.

Im not talking specifically about this thread. But I get it I guess. You just have to be patient, with the same people you are trying to help understand. I mean, there is a reason why they believe it in the first place, right? So you should assume convincing them wont be any easier. I just think, many are put off, and that blurs their capability to reason with you any further. Because as you say, then it just becomes both sides not wanting to hear each other.