Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Hijabis We See

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

If I had a dollar for every Hijab style I've seen, I could buy that 365,000-dollar black Abaya decorated with bespoke Crosley diamonds. It's become a constant source of amusement for me. I mean, how many different color pins can a person wear at once until it starts blinding people? The purpose of Hijab, which is summarized best as the concealment of beauty and the beauty of concealment, seems to be growing more and ambiguous these days. During any given day, we are likely to see a plethora of some odd fashion blends being passed off as Hijab:

The 15-Layer Hijab: Toucan Sam called, he wants his colors back. Here's a question: how many differently-colored Hijab pieces can you wear under your shawl? Five? Ten? Fifteen? I've never been able to appreciate this style that cannot go away quickly enough. If you have the Hijab on, and assuming it matches your clothes, why the need for all the colored under-pieces?

Makeup-Gone-Seriously-Wrong Hijab: What did your first grade art teacher say about those Crayola Crayons? Exactly. Unless you're auditioning to play the clown in Stephen King's It or to become Heath Ledger's successor, you don't really need to paint your face so much before stepping out of the house. The rulings on makeup by various scholars have been selectively read, and as a result, we have so many people suffering from OMS: Obsessive Makeup Syndrome.

Emo Hijab: Remember, you're trying to stand out, but you don't care about how you look. This calls for wearing your older brother's Ohio State hoodie, along with plaid pajama pants. The look also requires jet black nail polish and a black Hijab that will coincidentally match the rest of the look. You simply use this style of clothing to speak out against that terrible middle class suburban life you have to live.

Pirate Hijab: Paging Captain Hook and Captain Morgan: some Hijabi sister stole your pirate bandanna. Again, I fail to see the logical functionality of tying something on top of your scarf that looks like it's from Pirates of the Caribbean. Do however let us know where Treasure Island is located.

Aviator Hijab: I must've missed the memo for this fashion. In order to effectively dress like an aviator, you will need hugely over-sized pink aviator sunglasses. Next step is placing your pants inside black boots that are at least six inches above your knees. Lastly, go to the nearest Salvation Army outlet and purchase a brown leather jacket from the World War II era.

Safety Hazard Hijab: Hijab was sent as a protection for females. Except these days, some variations of the Hijab can be classified as potentially quite dangerous to public health. An excessive amount of sharp and shiny pins can easily do an innocent passerby in. Also, wearing overly-glittery headscarves can severely blind fellow drivers on the road, so please be considerate of others and limit yourself to public transport.

Keffiyah Hijab: You aren't Palestinian; however, you religiously wear the Keffiyah along with some skinny jeans and a hot pink shirt. No one said the Keffiyah was limited to one nationality, but why butcher something so symbolic? Adding insult to injury, you own a few pink Keffiyahs to match your fluorescent pink wardrobe.

MTV Hijab: Last and maybe least (Islamic, that is) is the MTV Hijab. This one honestly makes me nauseous. This look is made by wearing strapless tank tops with a white undershirt in order to make it more "Islamic". It also involves wearing a form-fitting dress from Forever 21, again with a white undershirt, skinny jeans, and, don't forget: a Hijab. This category is the most liberal, and fashionable, so basically whatever washed-out celebrities are wearing, you can wear too! Just wear an undershirt or jacket over the clothing.

EDITOR'S NOTE: No Hijabis were hurt during the writing of this article. :lol:

• Advanced Member

This is a bit exaggerated, but what strikes me more is the joke matter of this. Perhaps those sisters just dont know, are with the wrong friends, or have self-esteem issues (hence the OMS, emo, etc.) Laughing about it just makes the hijabis who do wear proper hijab appear arrogant and prideful. A better approach would be to befriend these sisters and politely let them know, ask them to join your uni's MSA, positive actions? I feel like there's a better way to address these hijab issues. This article will just cause those who sisters who are reading this to get offended and then defensive and won't learn the why.

i do think she has a point. i admit i haven't seen most of those styles, but i do see a lot of the last one ('MTV hijab'), so much so that i have often wondered if some girls have any idea that this is not a very modest way of dressing. if someone is choosing to wear hijab in a society where muhajabahs are the minority, i do wonder why they would go about it in a way that really defeats the purpose of it. i understand that it's hard to be different and there is a lot of pressure to fit in, but there are a lot of clothing choices between 'forever 21 strappy glitter dress over nude tight undershirt atop tight black pants and a scarf' and 'full black abayah and face veil'. it is not a 'one or the other' sort of thing, and i don't think it is arrogant or prideful to make that observation. it is basically telling it as it is.

as for MSA's.... well, this is what is fashionable in most of the MSA's i have seen ;)

• Advanced Member

No, I didn't say it IS arrogant, I said it would appear to them AS arrogant, reason being, that's not the proper way to give naseehah. The way it is written is just more than telling it as it is, sure there are hijabis out there like that, but the wording is slightly condescending, starting with the very first sentence.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Basic Members

I recently started wearing the hijab and it's a big change for me... I put it on to please Allah and I'm still learning it's basics and changing my wardrobe. But what I've noticed is that sooooo many people criticize hijabis and make it 1000 times harder to be one and because of all of the criticism and judgements by Muslims, some girls take off the hijabs. What happened to being there's only ONE JUDGE that judges every human being? There is no excuse to call out the flaws Muslimahs.

• 1 month later...
  • Basic Members

this is gonna sound really weird, but although at the start all these youngsters are fussed about hijab styles and making a fashion statement with their hijab, they are oneday going to grow out of it, and even try to dress or place their hijabs as appropriatly as possible! ive seen it happen so many times, including myself, but alhamdullah much better now! hehe :angel:

• 2 months later...
  • Basic Members

I think ppl all go through phases when I first put on hijab it was really difficult for me as a convert to understand . I never was one to seek attention and wore what ever I liked weather it was in or not and I most definately NEVER wore clothes to get someones attention NO EXCEPTIONS and still don't now.

I put the scarf on about 7-8 mths after I converted and began by wearing skirts and long shirts I felt like I was wearing my brothers clothed because I was use to properly fitted clothing and not loose not so fitting clothing ( shirts don't exactly line up with your shoulders and such)

But even from then to now I would never wear some of those things the skirts were tight , shirts weren't quite long enough and now I live in cardigans just for extra protection . ( but NEVER close them)

I do see all of the above styles more so when I visit Dearborn , but I'm no one to judge I had a friend that was a pirate/aviator/emo and I know a lot of the reason she wore what she did is because of pressure and she was rebelling , I also know a couple girls that took off there scarf because it wad difficult to take the pressure of being judged.

I thought this was cute assuming it was just something entertaining .

• Advanced Member

LOL this is so funny! I especially like the Emo Hijabi sounds like my lazy Sunday outfit minus the nails :P

but on a serious note: at least they r trying better than not wearing hijab at all.

They will *hopefully* one day find the path that makes them closer to God weather it's by pink hijab or leather jackets ;)

Edited by wonderer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

Salam, I must say who ever wrote this must have some time on their hands. Instead of making an amusing article of hijabis we see, replace it for a hijabis we would love to see more ! All of what was said is true and probably will be forever. But guess what ? I used to be one of all of the above hijabis. I think instead of judging our hijabis and giving names to their styles maybe we should talk some sense into our yougner sisters and daughters so that we can educate the young hijabi-to-be's and avoid all of this. I especially do not agree with posting ANY pictures of ANY hijabi and labelling her scarf as skin tight hijab or mickey mouse hijab. This is offensive not because they are right and we are wrong but because this is not the islamic thing to do. yes its funny and yes it can be amusing but we must must must stop this judging of each other and help each other out as muslims.

• Veteran Member

The problem is that not all of the hijabis do hijab like this because they don't know, some of them do know about proper hijab but choose to do it because they want to pretend they are religious while they don't care about social hijab at all. Men don't really like hijabi girls and they want trophies on their shoulders when they are walking down the street. So women who do real hijab and try to look average, hide their beauty through hijab have to hear from our husbands or aunties, "look at her she is doing hijab, she still looks presentable. Doing hijab doesn't mean you have to look ugly". Such hijabis usually don't care about social hijab either. I don't know why but it's harder to see your husband flirting with a hijabi than to see him flirting with a non-hijabi. It's like getting betrayed by a friend. Such hijabis are really popular in real world, so they really don't care if someone makes fun of them on internet.

• 2 weeks later...