Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Assessing spirituality?

Rate this topic

Two questions:

1, How can a person differentiate between being spiritual and being emotional?

2, How can a person access their spiritual levels? What does Islam say about it?

Islam, Christianity, and Judaism have nothing to do with spirituality, religion, dogma, and idealogy yes. These however have nothing to do with spiritualiy. Spirituality is believing in the unseen not what someone tells you to do about it, that is religion.

Peace

Satyaban

• Advanced Member
Two questions:

2, How can a person access their spiritual levels? What does Islam say about it?

By Islam, we simply mean What God has taught us specifically through Muhammad (S) and The Quran. Satyaban, I personally dont see anyone telling me what to do or how to conduct my affairs as a Muslim (And Christians and Jews and Hindus would agree with me on this). I do see guidelines for how to live, but i don't see any sort of dictator forcing me to follow those guidelines. I think spirituality is about submitting to those guidelines voluntarily. Following those revealed guidelines not because the ayatollah or your parents, or society told you to do it but because u yourself desire to attain nearness to God through those revealed guidelines.

spirituality always involves certitude. And one can be emotional about what they are certain about. We can be emotional about many things. like, when someone passes away we begin to feel a loss and we cry. Emotion is how we express ourselves. Now we can express ourselves using emotion with respect to mundane things (like temporal and fleeting and transitory things, wealth, money, children). Or we can express our emotions for what is higher and more noble, like God (the Eternal). Emotion is not bad in itself. it is very good. It is simply how we express ourselves.

• Advanced Member
Two questions:

Show me your spirit, and show me your emotions.

Show me your spirit, and the gauge levels.

• Advanced Member
Two questions:

1) In Islam, real spirituality can only be achieved through Ahlulbayt (as).

2) One can 'access' it by recognising and understanding the Wilayah of Ahlulbayt (as) - something which will never be recognized to its entirety. The more the recognition increases the more spirituality increases.

195- æ ÞÇá ãÍãÏ Èä Úáí ÇáÈÇÞÑ Ú ãä ÃÑÇÏ Ãä íÚÑÝ ßíÝ ÞÏÑå ÚäÏÇááå¡ ÝáíäÙÑ ßíÝ ÞÏÑ ÃÈæíå ÇáÃÝÖá ÚäÏå ãÍãÏ æ Úáí

Muhammad ibn Ali Baqir (as) said, If one wants to know how much his worth is before Allah (swt). He must see how much worth he gives to Ali and Mohammad (pbuh) who are his true parents.’

- Tafseer of Imam Hasan Al-Askari

• Basic Members

(salam)

(bismillah)

The first thing is to define emotion and spirituality, and thus from that see whether there is a difference or not. Off course it is a must to acknowledge that the complete information regarding emotions is a subject people educate themselves in and spirituality is something every person can work with. Every existence and every soul has emotions. Emotions are changes which can be seen from the outside as tears, anger and etc. If one sees a bird who has a broken claw the person can be emotionally overwhelmed and even be touched till he drops a tear from his eyes. Now there are many theories but mentioning each and every theory is time taking and therefore we should move further on to spirituality. Basically spirituality is a wish from the point that a person wishes with his inner to remove his face from facing the world to facing the source of light which illuminates the person who wishes to come out of the dark ocean and Sahara into light.

Çááøåõ æóáöíøõ ÇáøóÐöíäó ÂãóäõæÇú íõÎúÑöÌõåõã ãøöäó ÇáÙøõáõãóÇÊö Åöáóì ÇáäøõæõÑö æóÇáøóÐöíäó ßóÝóÑõæÇú ÃóæúáöíóÂÄõåõãõ ÇáØøóÇÛõæÊõ íõÎúÑöÌõæäóåõã ãøöäó ÇáäøõæÑö Åöáóì ÇáÙøõáõãóÇÊö ÃõæúáóÜÆößó ÃóÕúÍóÇÈõ ÇáäøóÇÑö åõãú ÝöíåóÇ ÎóÇáöÏõæäó(2-257)

An intention of making an inner change within himself from moving with knowledge (ilm) and great deeds (amal saleh), with the strong will power towards perfection(kamaal). Imagine a coordinate system. In fact lets draw the one Ustad Misbah Yazdi(May Allah prolong his life) tells us about :

(It is not possible to attach the drawing)

Now as humans we are stranded right in between and the first step we take is either upwards (first level is to practice obligatory actions and refrain from illegal deeds), or downwards. This said we must keep in our minds that, spirituality can contain emotions and always do have emotions, whereas emotions can lack spirituality. Some might even say that if emotions like sadness with tears occur, it is a minimal sign of a living spirit inside. Thus proving that the divine savior do send sorrow and sadness at times in order to waken up the dead soul of His most beloved creation(mankind). Emotions are basically attached to the animalistic instincts of the human nature, where as spirituality is linked with The perfect creator Himself as He says in the holy remembrance:

ÝóÅöÐóÇ ÓóæøóíúÊõåõ æóäóÝóÎúÊõ Ýöíåö ãöä ÑøõæÍöí ÝóÞóÚõæÇú áóåõ ÓóÇÌöÏöíäó (15-29)

Although this is not anything close to real understanding the subject properly. We can hope it inspired some new knowledge. Now regarding spiritual levels it has books after books that explain the levels, taken from the holy words to the beautiful sayings of the infallible (as). I quote Imam Jafar Sadiq(as) from the bihar:

Imaan has ten levels and on the tenth level is Salman Muhammadi, On the ninth level Abu Zarr Ghafari and on the eight level Miqdad….

Bascially one has to have the knowledge to know about spirituality in first place, and then practice as Ayatollah Bahjat says:

” Knowledge and practice goes hand in hand”.

Accessing the spiritual levels cannot be done without knowledge and understanding. And if one wishes to know on which level or what level his imaan and

spirituality is around the beautiful saying from the infallibles tell us to see where we sin. The issue we sin about is the level of our imaan. Now once knowledge has been achieved about one self(man arafa nafsah….), The belief( where we came from, what are we going to do now and where are we going(Tawheed, nabuwah and qiyamah)), then accessing the levels will be easy and possible. Although an important point is to constantly being in touch with the household of purity and the importance of it is the essence of spirituality as some great scholars have said.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member
Some might even say that if emotions like sadness with tears occur, it is a minimal sign of a living spirit inside.

"If only, when our disaster came on them, they had been humble! But their hearts were hardened and the devil made all that they used to do seem fair unto them!" [6:43]

"Then woe unto those whose hearts are hardened against remembrance of God. Such are in plain error." [39:22]

Imam Ali (a):

"The tears of eye never get dried but for the sake of hardheartedness, the heart never acquires hard-heartedness but for the sake of excess of sins."

-Bihar al-Anwar, vol. 73, p-354.

Imam Sajjad (a):

"Oh God! I do complain to you against hard-heartedness –the heart which by means of whims and passions is in the state of continuous revolution and has become contaminated. And I do complain to you against the dryness of eye which does not cry and is not afraid of you, and instead takes pleasure in looking towards whatever makes it pleased."

-Bihar al-Anwar, vol. 94, p-143.

• 9 years later...
On 3/19/2009 at 4:40 AM, Muhammed Ali said:

Two questions:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum

Brother did you end up finding the answers you were looking for?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

• 3 months later...
On 3/19/2009 at 1:40 PM, Muhammed Ali said:

Two questions:

1) Being spiritual is being able to feel, consciously, God's presence. Being emotional is to feel emotions deeply. both are inter-dependent in my opinion. 

2) From what I have learnt, there are seven levels of existence- the top/ highest being the closest to the Source (of spirituality) and the bottom/ lowest means the most further away from it. We exist in all these 7 dimensions at once, but, in what dimension we conciously feel we are at depends on our spirituality. Accessing spirituality can be as simple as deeply pondering, or as complex as devoting you life to Islamic studies- but whatever it is, it needs to be able to allow you to feel God's presence, as well as your own. 

Guest WishingUponAStar

Salams. I can read books and articles about patience and that does me no good.  I find myself easily agitated, annoyed, angry, and it is affecting my health.

My companion even said you are getting increasingly negative.  I realize I have a problem, I'm not in denial.  I can say in my head I want to change and practice patience, but during the heat of the moment everything turns difficult and I result to yelling, being aggressive, and just a whole lot of negative energy.  Who wants to be around such a person?

I need help from myself, I've asked God to help me, I've turned to Ahlulbait to step in and set me up straight, I asked for advice from ulama.

I'm well aware of where my rotten body will end in the grave and understand consequences of how anger spoils all my good deeds.  Yet, no changes on my part.  

When faced with difficulties, how do you handle it?

Why is it hard to change my personality and be a calm, patient, relaxed person?

What does it take to change?

I hope I receive answers to my questions, if you can't help, I hope you can make du'a for me.  

I don't want to end up in hell because of my bad temperament. Even when I write this down and see it, it's worse because I realize the state of my condition and still no changes.

I don't know what else to say, besides that I'm ashamed of my lack of akhluck.  If I don't have akhluck, how can God accept my prayers or fasting?  What's the point of any acts of worship and all will go in vain because I can't contain my anger.  How can I find peace of mind, to relax, and stay calm. 

My life seems one curveball after another.  I can't prevent the problems that happen, but how can I work on my akhluck?

I think it's obvious I'm not a robot.  I ask for your du'a.

• Advanced Member

It’s easy brother. You recognise the problem which means you are more saner than half of those around you. You also know the fundamental methods to reduce the anger but find it hard to practice, which is fine. 

On YouTube, search for ‘anger management’. Listen to a few CBT certified lectures or series on how to manage your anger and outburst.

Once you learn some techniques, start applying immediately. This will fix the outward part of anger manifestation.

To truly annihilate your anger issue, you will need to crush your ego, and your desire for this world which includes material or emotional satisfaction at the cost of others. This takes patience, maturity, and long periods of self control and training your mind to devalue the world (Dunya) in your eyes. This will also come overtime InshA-Allah. 

Start today, Ramadhan is the best month to take on any self improvement challenges, make it worth it by starting now! 

Good luck..

Guest Wishing Upon A Star

@AMR5  cool guests can tag!

I appreciate the encouragement but to say it's easy is an understatement.

It's true this month is almost ending, Satan is locked until the last night.  

It's my own self I'm dealing with.  Anger gets the best of me.

It's not that I'm attached to dunya, I just don't know how to react accept by getting angry and yell when I'm faced with difficulties of family situations.  It can be parents, siblings, children, other relatives. I don't want to get into specifics, but the issues I'm facing have nothing to do with finances, career, or education.  The hardship is about family members who are not doing their part and responsibilities at home and their expectations as students.

I can watch dozens of videos or read books, but when it comes to applying these points, it's not effective.

I'm the problem, but how can I find within myself the cure or solution. 

That's what I'm looking for and trying to understand, in order to be a better person.

It's reached a point where members of the family are saying "You are ruining my life."

On 3/19/2009 at 7:40 AM, Muhammed Ali said:

Two questions:

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) says: "If you love listening to what God says and ponder on issues which are related to religion in good faith, you are actually one who is near to spirituality".