Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Haram Chocolates

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Dear Friends,

All the below Masterfood Company Chocolate Products (Mars) are no longer Halal. They started using Animal product rennet (from Pig) in it.

Check this article from BBC News

http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 1/hi/business/ 6653175.stm (PLEASE MAKE TIME TO VISIT THE SITES)

And this from the Vegetarian Society

http://www.vegsoc. org/news/ 2007/mars. html

· Bounty

· Celebrations

· Dove Chocolate

· Flyte

· Galaxy

· Kudos (North America)

· Lockets

· M-Azing (North America)

· Maltesers

· M&M's

· Mars Bar

· Mars Delight

· Milky Way

· Minstrels (UK only)

· Mars Planets (newly inroduced in UK)

· Skittles

· Snickers (The top-selling candy bar in the United States. Known in the UK as Marathon until 1990.)

· Starbur st (Originally Opal Fruits in the UK .)

· 3 Musketeers ( North America )

· Topic

· Twix

· Snicker's Marathon Energy Bar

· AquaDrops

Thanks

• Basic Members

Salamun Alaikum

InshaAllah all of us will check before we eat. But for clarity here is the follow up for this issue.

Ma'salam

ref: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6673549.stm

dated: 20/05/2007

Mars bars get veggie status back

The move affected Masterfoods' chocolate and ice cream bars

Mars has abandoned plans to use animal products in its chocolate, and has apologised to "upset" vegetarians.

The firm had said it would change the whey used in some of its products from a vegetarian source to one with traces of the animal enzyme, rennet.

The Vegetarian Society organised a campaign against the move, asking members to voice their concerns to parent company Masterfoods.

Mars said it became "very clear, very quickly" that it had made a mistake.

In just one week, more than 6,000 people bombarded the company, which produces the Mars, Snickers, Maltesers and Galaxy brands, with phone and e-mail complaints.

Forty MPs also signed a petition to voice their opposition.

Fiona Dawson, managing director of Mars UK, said the company had listened to customers and decided to reverse its decision.

HAVE YOUR SAY

The Mars turnaround is about profit, not people power

Michael Winston, UK

Send us your comments

"The consumer is our boss and we had lots of feedback from consumers who were unhappy about the change," Ms Dawson said.

"It became very clear, very quickly that we had made a mistake, for which I am sorry.

"There are three million vegetarians in the UK and not only did we disappoint them, but we upset a lot of the consumers."

'Principled decision'

The Vegetarian Society had called the move by Mars "incomprehensible" and "a backward step" at a time when consumers were increasingly concerned about "the provenance of their food".

We are very pleased that they now recognise the importance of integrity to all their customers, especially vegetarians

Dr Annette Pinner

Vegetarian Society

Mars replied that, by admitting its products were no longer suitable for "extremely strict vegetarians", it was making a "principled decision".

Now it insists it will begin changing its recipes back immediately.

Dr Annette Pinner, chief executive of the Vegetarian Society, said she was pleased Mars had been "honest enough" to admit it had "made a mistake".

"A Masterfoods representative has made contact with us and we are very pleased that they now recognise the importance of integrity to all their customers, especially vegetarians," she added.

Rennet is extracted from calves' stomachs and was to have been used in the ice cream versions of all Masterfoods' bars too.

• Advanced Member

I quit over 100 things because they were haram.. I am pretty sure If these are haram I can quit them to.. Cheetos and doritos are both haram.. well doritos nacho flavour..

I dont take the risk anywas because I dont want my prayer not accepted for 40 days..

• Advanced Member
I quit over 100 things because they were haram.. I am pretty sure If these are haram I can quit them to.. Cheetos and doritos are both haram.. well doritos nacho flavour..

I dont take the risk anywas because I dont want my prayer not accepted for 40 days..

BY SHIASOLDIER@2007

Thats excellent reason !

Am 100% support his idea and point of view !

May Allah guide us all, to have his type of TAKWAA !

Edited by smak786110
  • Advanced Member

i duno..my dad confirmed it so he doesn't stop us

its not like its a daily thing

and to begin with, lol its not even healthy

its like a once in a month or less kinda thing

• Advanced Member

_zahra

i duno..my dad confirmed it so he doesn't stop us

its not like its a daily thing

and to begin with, lol its not even healthy

its like a once in a month or less kinda thing

So if we eat pork once in a month, or less kinda thing ... it becomes halal ?

and if my father tells me that its ok, then I can eat ?? :P :P

Nothing personal.. just general talk -_-

• Advanced Member
_zahra

So if we eat pork once in a month, or less kinda thing ... it becomes halal ?

and if my father tells me that its ok, then I can eat ?? :P :P

Nothing personal.. just general talk -_-

lol

bas those products dont even have pork in it!

just like geletin..some marji3's say its okay...some say its not

with the chedder cheese issue, the same issue plays a role...

• Advanced Member

(salam)

NOOOOO...NOOOO....NOOOOOOOO...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

First Doritos, next Pepsi and Coke, Now CHOCOLATE??????

Subhan Allah..It's not safe to eat anything now!!

Oh well, I'll always have my Mars Bar...wait...it's on the list??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

*cries*

• Advanced Member

^ yeah heard that too.

But whats the big deal anyway? So what if we cant have those brand names we are so used to? All the more incentive to suppport muslim countries that seek to giv us halal options of what we like. If we support them enough even their standards would get better. Look at it as an opportunity to strengthen the muslim Ummah while awaiting the return of Imam ATF.

• Veteran Member

(salam)

There are some claims about Pepsi and Coke having extract from pork.. Also they are saying that there is a TINY bit of alcohol in it.

Personally I stopped drinking Pepsi and Coke... They taste bad anyways..

But what I meant in my post is that so many things are be claimed haram nowdays.. First Doritos get proven haram, next Pepsi and Coke are PROBABLY haram, and now CHOCOLATE?? It's a bit amazing..

If you really like Pepsi and Coke, I suggest you continue to drink it because it hasn't been proven that it has any pork or alcohol..Inshallah it doesn't.

For more info on it, just go on Google and search "Pepsi and Coke - Halal or Haram?" --The first few results will have some good info.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I am not big on soft drinks so no problem for me. But I was still wondering. The whole Muslim world drinks damn Pepsi and Coke. Perhaps coke made in Muslim countries is free from pork fat if there's something of the sort at all. I'll google it to see

Cheers

I heard there was an official rule fro Agha Sistani banning to drink COca Cola..

I dont know whether it was because of PORK or it was for supporting Isreal, like Nokia and Nestle products.

Don't pay heed if the reasons are political.

Edited by Jibran Haider
  • Advanced Member
Why not? If Ayatollah Sistani found it necessary to forbid the support of a country that openly butchers Muslims is there anything wrong in following his directives?

(salam)

How does he find out it's supporting Israel? <-- Honest question :D