Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
concerned

Tattoos - are they allowed/halal?

Rate this topic

I really want to get one done but wanted to make sure if it was permissable or not..and is there a difference between the acceptance of semi-permanent vs permanent tatoos?

your comments would be much appreciated, thanks!

According to Shi'a faqih, permanent tattoos are permissible insofar as their contents do not contradict Islam. The tattoo becomes part of the skin, so there isn't a problem when it comes to wudhu. Sistani and Khameini back this. So do many others.

Yep.

I dunno about girls with tats though :Hijabi: ....it's such a guy thing!

i know tattoos are more of a guy thing but what if a girl just wants to get a name or sumthing tattooed, then can she?

i know tattoos are more of a guy thing but what if a girl just wants to get a name or sumthing tattooed, then can she?

how are tattoos a guy thing explain to me how? it is because it makes a man look more manly if he has a tattoo,

because i think not, it makes him look less of a man. Tattoos shouldnt be constricted to either male or female

its just acording to personal preference =)

Sterotypical thought of women cant have tattos... i say go for it *sareena* =)

Stereotypes often have a degree of validity to them, hence the very existence of the stereotype.

Yep, she can.

But as you acknowledge, it isn't a thing a girl should do (unless you are a bogan.)

I agree but i dont get why people tend to assume tattoos are supposedly "manly", maybe its the process of getting a tattoo or maybe the parading of tattoos on muscles lol..

Pretty much.

Also I could associate certain type of girl with certani types of tattoo (i.e lower back tat etc.)

:Hijabi:

Edited by Hassan2jz

Yep, she can.

But as you acknowledge, it isn't a thing a girl should do (unless you are a bogan.)

Pretty much.

Also I could associate certain type of girl with certani types of tattoo (i.e lower back tat etc.)

:Hijabi:

So you are implying that females that do have tattoos are a "certain type" let me just say i know

a 65 year old shia women who has a tattoo & she isnt what you categorise as "certain" shes

actually is one of the most pious women i know. dont generalise because that just makes you look

sexist....judging by your posts in this thread i think you are.

wa (salam)

Edited by ~[yasmine]~

So you are implying that females that do have tattoos are a "certain type" let me just say i know

a 65 year old shia women who has a tattoo & she isnt what you categorise as "certain" shes

actually is one of the most pious women i know. dont generalise because that just makes you look

stupid.

You do realise I am stirring you?

Dance puppet dance, now who looks stupid? :P

Although I still don't like the idea of girls with tats... :)

Edited by Hassan2jz

& why are you calling me a puppet? because im a female and i think for myself,

because i dont have the same view as you "men" in this forum?

lol. You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?

I was stirring you, you were stirred. I thus controlled you like a puppet.

Don't jump to fancy conclusions.

Fool that you are, poeople who think they can wag a smart tongue such as yours are exactly that - fools in smart jeans.

lol. Relax, I'm only messing with you.

You guys are TOO easy.

Yes, they are allowed as long as it isn't a picture of a human/animal, names of the Ahlul-Bayt or any obvious religious context as such like the names of God etc.

And I'm a girl and I have three tattoos. An initial behind my right ear, my mum's name in Arabic calligraphy on my neck and a quote on my foot. I've already got four more planned!

tattoos are permissible,jus depends on what u get,i got 3 :D,one saying Ali a.s,one saying ya Mahdi a.s and one across my shoulder blade on my back saying Ya Hussein a.s

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think your tattoos are allowed because they're the names of the Ahlul Bayt and one's body is najis and enters najasah. Don't quote me on this but I was told that anyways.

Yes, they are allowed as long as it isn't a picture of a human/animal, names of the Ahlul-Bayt or any obvious religious context as such like the names of God etc.

And I'm a girl and I have three tattoos. An initial behind my right ear, my mum's name in Arabic calligraphy on my neck and a quote on my foot. I've already got four more planned!

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think your tattoos are allowed because they're the names of the Ahlul Bayt and one's body is najis and enters najasah. Don't quote me on this but I was told that anyways.

nawww its under the skin,i got them when i was in hawza,i made sure too,i emailed sistani,khamenei,saanei,Hakeem they all said its permissible,all the talibs at the hawza said it was alright too same with the sheikh,umm its also permissible to get Allah or ayats of Quran BUT ITS DANGEROUSSS,u gotta take too many precautions.

i wanted to get a tattoo so bad when i was in high school, but my dad said no...

but my social studies teacher was like, if you want to get a tattoo, think of it on your hand after like 50 yrs, when the skin starts getting messed up and

stuff..

According to Shi'a Jurisprudence, tattoos are Halal. Sunni's do not believe they are because they think that it creates a barrier between your skin and the water when performing wudhu, which is not the case because the ink is injected underneath the skin. They also say that it is Haram because you are harming yourself, which is silly because then getting your ears pierced would also be Haram because that hurts too. Seriously, the things they come up with sometimes...

Anyway, I think that if you're going to get a tattoo, make sure that it is something meaningful, and not just some fancy design which you will grow sick of and regret in 5 years time. I like the idea of names, especially the name of one's children.

nawww its under the skin,i got them when i was in hawza,i made sure too,i emailed sistani,khamenei,saanei,Hakeem they all said its permissible,all the talibs at the hawza said it was alright too same with the sheikh,umm its also permissible to get Allah or ayats of Quran BUT ITS DANGEROUSSS,u gotta take too many precautions.

Yep, you are right.

As it is underneath ones skin, it does not get najis by contact, it is like having it written under glass, if the glass gets dirty, the writing underneath the glass does not.

Hassan.

I personally find tattoos very complimentary if they're done the right way and for the right reasons. But I agree that you have to be very very sure about what you want as it will be with you for the rest of your life. It has to hold some awesome meaning. I don't personally like tattoos purely for adornment purposes. All three of mine are very close to my heart. I wouldn't mark my skin otherwise.

Salaam, 

First and foremost, this is my first time on this Shia forum and this topic attracts me the most. 

While I understand that tats are allowed in our belief, however I can't help but to feel curious if one needs to fulfil some kind of clause or obligatory action before getting one example, can only get one after married or after performing an important bath or etc. 

I would appreciate if anyone from this page can share with me their knowledge about this. 

Thank you

Wasalaam

Zqdri. 

SalamAlaikum

I inquired about this from Imam Sistani organization and if you are in taqleed of Imam Sistani you can go ahead with the tattoo as long as it doesn't prevent water reaching the skin during wudhu/ghusl. 

JazakAllah

Can someone provide links where I can read about tattoos being permissable? 

I already have some and am planning on getting some more.

Is there a such things as tattoos that are disliked?  Like, would it be a sin to have a verse from the Quran tattooed on you?

The next ones I want are of my children's names.

Can someone provide links where I can read about tattoos being permissable? 

I already have some and am planning on getting some more.

Is there a such things as tattoos that are disliked?  Like, would it be a sin to have a verse from the Quran tattooed on you?

The next ones I want are of my children's names.

Lol verses of the Quran. Please do think hard about what you want to tattoo; consider each and every thing you do on a day-to-day basis. Have respect for the words of Allah.