Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ShiaSoldier@2007

Being sleep deprived is becoming fun

Rate this topic

I have been sleep deprived for a while for me sleep deprived is 4-6 hours of sleep. Now in the morning I am not sleepy and in the afternoons and stuff I start to see the positive parts of life and remember Allah more.. Have I gone mad? I enjoy it to much I dont want sufficient sleep anymore.. Its almost like a drug.. Anyways was wondering, is that dangerous..

According to a 2002 study by the 'World of Sleep', a study of more than 1 millon adults

Sleeping 7 hours is healthy and sufficient according to experts

Sleeping more than 7 hours has more long-term dangers (early death)

It was a research period of 6 years and the risk of death climbed as people slept more than 7 hours a day. People who slept 8 hours had a 12% chance of early death and people who take sleeping pills are also more likely to die earlier.

Also, sleep below the 7 hours shortens the lifespan, getting more than 7 hours of sleep is however more dangerous than less of 7 hours. Oversleeping is seen as overeating in a way.

Edited by Rubaiyat

Sleeping 6 hours is healthy and sufficient according to experts

Sleeping 8 hours or more has more long-term dangers (early death)

No wonder I am feeling better.. My teacher was giving me the old your 13 you need 10 hours speech.. Cause i had bags under my eyes.. Anyways this is awesome if I can get proof then I can convince my teacher that its not unhealthy..

Brother ShiaSoldier, I updated my first post for you to include a study. The book I have mentions there have been recent similar studies that suggest the same. However fails to give further reference. Structure your life on the 7 hours rule and everything is cool.

Edited by Rubaiyat

:unsure: I also find that the less hours i sleep, the more energy that is in me the next day.......

Mine is freakier.. Like I see a regular rock and I am like what a divine blessing of Allah.. then the sun comes out and I am like ALLAHUAKBAR THE SUN IS HERE! Maybe cause in toronto its been cold and dark for really long and that fact that I have gone mad may also contribute to it somewhat..

4-6 hours is fine bro. Listen to your body...not to others. Everyone is different and unique. Some people need 6-8 hours others 4-5...either way if you feel good and healthy....keep it up.

Salam

Though it is true that everybody is different, generally there are hours of sleep required for different age groups based on stages that the body is going through. Judging from the fact that you have bags under your eyes, you aren't getting enough sleep bro.

From experience, when i was in grade 10 i used to get 4-6 hours of sleep a night and went on like this the entire year. Sure i felt fine and wasnt falling asleep all over the place from lack of rest, but it intensely affected me negatively. For starters, my immune system gradually died, so that i was getting sick 10 times more often than i did a year earlier when i was sleeping normally. My appearance also changed, so that my face always had a slight tint of yellow and my eyes looked a little hollowed in.

I was so used to my lifestyle and appearance that i wasn't really bothered by it. But when i finally decided to fix my routine and get 8 hours of sleep every night at least, my appearance changed dramatically after a few weeks, i looked more healthy and i felt more healthy too.

Till this day my immune system isn't as good as it used to be, but it is gradually getting better and i'm getting sick less and less. You may not feel it right now, but this lack of sleep will gradually take its toll.

Be careful and don't get into a bad cycle. Sleep at least 7 hours, 8 would be great. Trust me, you don't want to mess around with your health.

Wasalam.

(salam)

My sleep got screwed ever since I started university in September 2006. My faculty classes are mostly 7-10 PM; you reach home at around 11/11:30 pm, there is no way you can go to bed so soon after you come home that late. So I started ended up sleeping past midnight (something I was not used to). And then at times you have an early class the next day at 8:30 AM, for which you would need to leave the house at 7:00 AM which means you wake up even earlier. So yeah with all these classes at random times, the result was expected. My timing is still messed up and so is my sleep. Life was better when I used to get enough sleep, now even if I sleep so many hours I still feel tired and sleepy. Today I slept from about 2:30 AM till 8 AM, then I slept again at about 3 PM till 6 PM and I still look dead sleepy @). I don't even know what to do really. Just don't mess your sleep up like I did.

Wasaslam

The time that you go to sleep is crucial as well. Our bodys are designed to sleep shortly after maghrib and wakeup before sunrise. Not sleeping during dusk and dawn are two things thats are mentioned in hadiths and also mentioned by scientists who study sleep.

Besides these two the body really does tell you when your getting enough/good quality sleep.

Personally if we look at the lives of the ulema they would seem to go to sleep after isha and wake up much before dawn. That last part of night is especially prized for worshipping God and getting near to him. Ah also not eating too much at late nights helps the quality of sleep as well.

Bro/Sis Midnight Garden, that happens to me as well! I swear I can sleep for 12 hours and still wake up tired, it's weird! Does that mean there's something wrong with me, like do I have some kind of health problem that doesn't allow me enough sleep? Or, perhaps I fall asleep in class because I'm bored, but I don't know how I can be bored (I'm usually interested in everything)... Hmmm I don't know....

(bismillah)

Even though I study aerospace, this is also part of my studies (Human Factors) to 'prevent' accidents from happening (aircraft crashes, etc).

Not getting enough sleep is very dangerous. 4-6 hours of sleep is dangerously low. The 'research' posted above seems to be something you'd find in the U.S. to convince people to work more and sleep less. (Of course the brother put it with good intentions) In different periods of your life you need different amount of sleep.

Babies might only be awake a few hours a day, usually sleeping 17/18 hours per day. The older they become the less they sleep, 15 hours, 12 hours, etc. Those in their growth period need more sleep than adults, because that is the only time they grow. Once you become a fully grown adult (21-23 years old), it has been calibrated that you need about 8 hours and 10 minutes of sleep per night. If you sleep less than that you become more sleep deprived by each night. It is possible to get back some sleep of even 7 nights before.

post-12143-1236360787_thumb.jpg

The above graph shows the different phases you'll be in during this 8 hours and 10 minutes. If you sleep only 4 hours, ONLY your body will be rested. It is only after this time you will reach the phase where your mind will rest. Simply put, If you sleep only 6 hours, you have went through the 'body recovery phase' and have only gone through half of the 'mind rest phase'. If you do not go through this 8 hours of sleep, you are very prone to making mistakes, mishearing things, misdoing things, mis seeing things, etc. Your mind is basically not functioning the way it should. This builds up with each day that you sleep less until you are unable to function properly. These are only the effects with relation to your functioning, but it also makes you old fast, your life expectancy is going down too, your skin is becoming old faster, etc.

They've even tested this on people by putting them in a building with no windows and no clocks, etc. The first few nights they slept more (getting back the sleep they lost before) and from that moment only they all slept exactly 8 hours and 10 minutes on average. Their biological clocks also started working with 25 hours instead of 24 hours. Our body is actually adjusting itself to the 24 hours days.

Anyway in conclusion, you (a fully grown adult) should sleep 8 hours and 10 minutes a day. Not less and not more.

Edited by Arman

(bismillah)

Bother Shia soldier, sleep deprivation has to be looked into whether it is chronic or acute. Usually we in the medical profession , before advising anyone look into the etiology(cause) of the problem in question, and the duration it has been occuring for. Sleep deprivation can have many causes, both organic( when a disease process is involved) and non-organic(when disease process is not involved). If sleep deprivation becomes chronic then it can lead to various problems for that individual, in that case we usually prescribe patients a group of medicines called Benzodiazipines, but this is in patients who fail to fall asleep on their own, but before any such prescription a through evaluation of the patient is done, these Benzodiazepine fall under the H category of drugs, these drugs are Habbit Forming and have Abuse Liability, so this mean they are not Over the counter drugs but can be obtained on a Prescription of a Register Medical Practioner(doctor) only, but this is only in severe cases.

Now for some one like you , by what you have mentioned, look to be a case of acute sleep deprivation. Now as already mentioned in the various previous replies, one needs 7to 9 hours of sleep daily. These ranges are only arbitary and highly subjective, they differ from person tp person. But nonth the less adequate sleep is important. I would suggest you to go to bed every night at a fixed time, say at 10.30pm and then get up at the same time each morning(say before fajr). Basically there is a centre in the brain what we in the medical profession call ARAS(ASCENDING RETICULAR ACTIVATING SYSTEM), this particular centre is responsible for sleep.ARAS responds to certain stimuli and in turn we get to sleep. Thats why my sugession to you would be to go to sleep each night at a fixed particular time, at least till you no longersuffer from sleep deprivation. Initially as you have mentioned you may feel you no longer need sleep, but after a while this thing can take its toll, it will lead to irritable behaviour, difficulty in concentration etc, so better act now.

And you had mentioned you see "a rock and sun " , i did not get it, what exactly you meant by that.

Edited by fahim

(salam)

Arman! That is some awesome information.

I grew up with the idea that you are too lazy if you get a decent night sleep (7-8 hours). :Hijabi:

Human body need sleeping as much as it need water and food. And you can't deprive yourself that.

Anyway in conclusion, you (a fully grown adult) should sleep 8 hours and 10 minutes a day. Not less and not more.

What's the reasoning behind the extra 10 minutes?

Excellent read though. But we as students, our timing is seriously messed up :/

Bro ShiaSoldier: Adjusting yourself to sleeping 6 hours might be fine and dandy or not, I'd let everyone debate that. But remember to fiercely stick to a sleeping cycle that fits within 24 hours. No more no less. For example, if you sleep 11 pm to 5 am each night, thats a mighty fine habit. But when you stray far away from the norm and get crazy with your sleep pattern, you'll regret it, as your biological clock will lose track of day and night. For example, if you stay awake for, say, 48 hours and then sleep for 10 hours, and God forbid that becomes a habit through repition, then you'll regret it.

(bismillah)

It's Daylight Savings Time now at least for America, so everyone gets one hour less of sleep. See if being sleep deprived is fun now.