Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Muslim sisters avoiding other Muslim sisters?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I dunno i never felt tht way coz i probbly dnt see many hijaabis.. well actualli sumtimes i do.. thy jus look at me thts it lol... mayb thy dnt think i am asian.. i dnt wear hijaab.. bt i dnt look chinese lol... i think i look spanish hmm.. bak to topic.. i havent expiriencd tht yet..

bt if i see a hijaabi imma smile yeh.. lets see if she does it or not :P

• Advanced Member
I've also found that Shia are less open than Sunnis, but I don't think first glance can determine whether a person is Sunni or Shia.

I can sometimes tell the difference between a Sunni or Shia girl by the way they put the hijab. Shia girls usually cover their chin. Most of the time though I can tell because I may have seen the girl at Shia lectures or programs etc. Theyre just too unfriendly and unapproachable! For me meeting new Muslim girls at uni have mainly been Sunni and if there is a shia girl that I would talk to at uni its because I personally know her from somewhere else. I just wish the Shia would be more friendly and open!

Anyway thats my rant about the Shia lol.

• Basic Members
(salam)

Okay, maybe this is just me, but quite a few times I've noticed this while I'm in class or on campus. Often, when a hijabi Muslim walks by, either she avoids me, doesn't return my salaam, or responds quietly and rushes off. Does this only happen to me? Being a minority in the west, it's reallyyyy nice to see someone who is your sister. But sometimes, it gets awkward when they.. ignore you :Hijabi:

Am I over thinking this?

ha i thought i was the only one lol :!!!:

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I know how you feel :( I have no advice, but know you're not the only one who has to deal with this...then again, there aren't really any hijabi's here...there are up north, but not in my town...haha..Even when I go other places with lots of hijabis...none of them really even aknowledge you...its so strange to me :(

• Advanced Member

^probably because from an outsiders point of view its weird when u get two hijabis who are strangers, that suddenly act all friendly to one another. They are starngers at the end of the day...

Its like really really shallow chosing your friends on what they wear.

• Advanced Member

I've noticed this as well. One hijabi told me that she didn't approach me because she didn't want to seem like one of those "in-your-face" Muslims. I hate it when you get ignored...and sometimes you'll say salam to them and they'll quietly respond, but give you a bad look. ):

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Okay, maybe this is just me, but quite a few times I've noticed this while I'm in class or on campus. Often, when a hijabi Muslim walks by, either she avoids me, doesn't return my salaam, or responds quietly and rushes off. Does this only happen to me? Being a minority in the west, it's reallyyyy nice to see someone who is your sister. But sometimes, it gets awkward when they.. ignore you :Hijabi:

Am I over thinking this?

hmm, try a couple more times with the salam or start a conversation with her.. nothing wrong with making new friends :Hijabi:

but if she just keeps doing what shes doing then i would say leave it, you would have approached her enough times by then and it wouldnt be worth it.

peace :D

• Advanced Member

I realize this is an old thread, but my are there misconceptions!

Sunni sisters are friendlier than Shia ones? Really? Perhaps it just depends on where you are or who THEY are. Please don't generalize.

And as for the Shia hijabi girls being boring part... Again, really? Don't generalize. I play sports for fun, swim, laugh, argue (yes, even with guys!) and have a personality (yes, even in front of guys!). There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I know many more Shia sisters who are wilder than I am. In a good way, of course. You don't have to be boring to follow Islamic rules.

I hope these are just a couple of disgruntled people saying so, and that it isn't a widespread phenomenon. That would kind of suck.

salam.gifwa

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

hum very interesting thread .. I feel sad about this honestly, for some reason saying "salam" and returning the salam is very important to me.. maybe because i am a convert i dont know , i just love the idea of saying salam to brothers and sisters of your own faith. But I dont know what it is , but muslima's always kind of scared me , they seem so self-satisfied .. some here say they are "shy" , but i can believe that is the case honestly ... I know shyness, i think i can recognize it .. this is different.. they are just very "whatever, i have my family and my friends, i dont need any more people to talk to, please leave me alone" ...

They should alwasy respond to teh Salam.

Its not bey difficult to say Walkum As-slam.

I mean, I notice the sisters here where I live are not to difficult about it. One pretty much just say Salam alukm and smile and the other one says Alkum Salam and smiles back and then they continue on there journey. I mean, like when you're on the train or Bus and both of you are sitting down across/close to each other, they usually give there sallams to eachother and converse.

Like if your in a shopping mall and your looking at a rack of clothes and another Muslimah comes and says Salam Alkum the other will say Alkum Salam and they will both continue to look at the same rack.

Atleast thats all from what I have observed from our sisters where I live