Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

8 Babies in 5 Mins

Rate this topic

_zahra

• Advanced Member

California woman has 8 babies in 5 minutes

A woman gave birth Monday to eight babies in a span of five minutes, only the second time in history live octuplets have been born, doctors said.

The mother, who has not been identified, gave birth by cesarean section to six boys and two girls weighing between 1.8 pounds and 3.4 pounds, said doctors at Kaiser Permanante Medical Center.

"It's a surprise," said Dr. Karen Maples. "Eight newborns are in stable condition and they're doing quite well."

Kaiser spokeswoman Myra Suarez said she could not release any information about the mother, including her condition or whether she used fertility drugs.

The first live-born octuplets were born in Houston in December 1998. They were three months premature and their weights ranged from 11 ounces to 1 pound, 11 ounces. The tiniest infant died of heart and lung failure a week after being born. The surviving siblings turned 10 in December.

Their mother and father, Nkem Chukwu and Iyke Louis Udobi, said they are astonished and grateful their children have grown up to be healthy and active.

Dr. Richard Paulson, director of the fertility program at the University of Southern California, said that if the babies were born prematurely they may face serious health risks. The mother faces an increased risk of hemorrhage, Paulson said.

"It's a risky decision to try to have all eight babies," said Paulson, who had no role in the delivery. "I would not recommend it under any circumstances, but I respect a parent's decision."

The eight children, in the order of their appearance, born at Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center:

* Baby A, a boy, weighing 2 pounds, 11 ounces, born at 10:43 a.m.

* Baby B, a girl, weighing 2 pounds, 12 ounces, born at 10:44 a.m.

* Baby C, a boy, weighing 3 pounds, 4 ounces, born at 10:45 a.m.

* Baby D, a girl, weighing 2 pounds, 8 ounces, born at 10:45 a.m.

* Baby E, a boy, weighing 1 pound, 8 ounces, born at 10:46 a.m.

* Baby F, a boy, weighing 2 pounds, 12 ounces, born at 10:47 a.m.

* Baby G, a boy, weighing 1 pound, 15 ounces, born 10:47 a.m.

* Baby H, a boy, weighing 2 pounds, 11 ounces, born at 10:48 a.m.

Edited by _zahra

They were actually cesarean so words like ouch and painful really go out of the window i would think :Hijabi:

But on a brighter note, the couple were expecting 7, and no one really knows how they landed with 8. Could be a conspiracy theory like somebody must have slipped something unnoticed.

• Veteran Member

(salam)

I was just watching on TV and apparently the mom already had 6 other children before this! People are now giving donations and stuff to her.

Octuplets' mum 'already has six'

A Californian woman who gave birth to octuplets earlier this week already has six children, US media has reported.

The eight babies were delivered nine weeks early by Caesarean section in a hospital near Los Angeles on Monday.

The mother has not been named, but US media is quoting family members as saying she already has six other children, including twins.

Doctors say the eight babies are making good progress and are expected to stay in hospital for several more weeks.

Although the babies' mother asked doctors to keep her details confidential, a family acquaintance gave clues to her identity to the American CBS channel.

Shortly afterwards, media camped outside a house in Whittier, near Los Angeles.

'Sibling excitement'

The Associated Press news agency spoke to a man identified as the babies' grandfather, who was with two children. The children said they were excited to have eight new siblings, AP reported.

The Los Angeles Times later carried an interview with a woman identified as the babies' grandmother, who said her daughter already has six young children and never expected fertility treatment she had received would result in eight more babies.

She said that doctors had given her daughter the option of reducing the number of embryos, but she had declined.

"What do you suggest she should have done? She refused to have them killed. That is a very painful thing," she said.

She added that her daughter expected a big challenge raising 14 children. The woman's husband is expected to return to Iraq where he works as a contractor, the LA Times reported.

Officials at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, near Los Angeles, said the woman was already 12 weeks pregnant when she came to them. Despite media questioning, the hospital has declined to say whether the mother became pregnant through fertility treatments.

The eight babies were delivered by a team of 46 doctors, nurses and assistants in the space of five minutes.

The mother is the second person recorded in the US to have delivered a set of living octuplets.

The last octuplets known to have survived birth in the US were born in Houston in 1998. One of the babies died one week later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7860041.stm

• Veteran Member
What do you all think about the ethics debate that has been going on regarding this?

I think that man manipulating nature and deviating from the plans of Allah has lead to results that are out of balance in many areas of our lives and environments in general.

In this particular case, having 8 babies by man made implantation seems selfish and with no thought of the consequence for either mom or the baby. Humans were not meant to have litters. This particular women already had 6 children so I dont understand why she and her husband did this.

The number of people with special needs (many tiny "miracle" babies have life long difficulties) is growing by leaps and bounds due to medicine being able to counteract natural selection. In a realted idea, people with genetic illnesses living longer and able to marry and re-distribute their gene pool of afflicted genes is also not a good idea in the broader context.

BUT..ethical boundaries are easier to address in an objective context; more difficult to address when you are personally impacted.

• Advanced Member

I was under the impression she had 8 babies in 5 minutes NATURALLY... so what if it was a C-section. Doctors just scooped the babies out one-by-one. And why on earth would she take fertility treatment when she already has 6 kids??

• Advanced Member

I can understand fertility treatments for a person who doesn't have any children at all or maybe only has one or two, but not for someone who already has six children. I read today in a news article that she also doesn't have a husband. She is going to be raising 14 kids by herself (and maybe with her parents' help, but how long can that last?).

What I don't like is when people say that you can have lots of children if you have the money. Money is not the only factor. Each child has an impact on the environment that EVERYONE shares. Also, money can run out. You may have money at the time you had those embryos implanted, but ten years down the line, you may be on welfare.

I am glad she and the babies made it and congratulate her, but people need to think before playing God.

• Veteran Member

Apparently there is no dad - She has conceived all 14 children through dontated sperm and then the story gets more complicated..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/30/o...omment_20318544

There is another question in itself - should children be purposeivley (new word :blush: ) artificially conceived when there is no dad??!!

Edited by Maryaam

• Advanced Member

Hypothetically, if a sperm donor were allowed in Islam, then I think that a woman should be able to artificially conceive. A woman should not be deprived of the joy of a child because she wasn't able to catch a man. It may be a tiny bit selfish, but what is a woman to do if she is single and unable to find a spouse, and if she wants a biological child?

• Advanced Member

^ there is no 'catching' involved, more like expectations in the way. It is under God's mercy to want preserve a family unit. How is it fair for the kids growing up without a father figure/support. Clearly there would be something lacking.

14 kids without a partner? The lady should have a psych analysis done.

• Veteran Member
Hypothetically, if a sperm donor were allowed in Islam, then I think that a woman should be able to artificially conceive. A woman should not be deprived of the joy of a child because she wasn't able to catch a man. It may be a tiny bit selfish, but what is a woman to do if she is single and unable to find a spouse, and if she wants a biological child?

I disagree here BBK - I think babies should be born for what we can do for them, not for what they can do for us. Children deserve to have a father - isnt that part of Allah's plan for us? I can see an artificial method (if it is halal) if the family unit is already in place, though, AND that family is able to provide for them.

Edited by Maryaam

• Advanced Member

Wow, thts so grt mashallah.

But the article says tht its only a second time in history - the first in houston and second in cali. but i read in newspapers over here tht a lady in india few yrs back gave birth to 8 babies too.

and ouch the babies weigh only 2 or 3 pounds... i was 10 and a half ... *thud*