Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Abu Hadi

Don't become the next victim of e-stalking

Rate this topic

I'm not a sister, and yeah, I know it was started before.

:huh:

I know you are not a sister. "Sister I Believe" is a member, and she had started a topic, so I was referring to her.

Sis, the reason I closed my prev account was BECAUSE of e-stalking. the reason I'm closing this current accnt si coz of ppl's stupdidity lol! It's public knowledge most of the criminals/scumbags in the world function off the Net. I already posted what you are saying, sis, back in Oct. There are a couple of men&women on Sc who I completely randomly found out are scamming ppl big time n the world knows abt it!!!! When I say scam I mean scamming for money..."phasaaofiying guys/girls to get money...if u get what I mean."Not just that- I wonder why/how guys FORM Shiachat used to send me add requests I would constantly ignore, to my Facebook page? I haven't given ANYONE on SC even my email addy, how'd they get my FB page link? I had a few guys contact me online on MSN, pose as single young Muslim males, then when I snubbed 'em , they came out n talked abt how theyre NOT really Muslim and jst like to exploit/abuse Muslim women!!!!!!!!! I know of two ppl (the whole Internet knows of them, coz they hook up w/ppl only to rip money off them), one male and one female...the female is of Paki origin but practices no religion...the male practices the religion of whomever he's trying to scam for money...the female is 30 the male mid 40's, American...both are a team. They have an entire network of ppl...every1 on any forum knows of one or more of their fake id's...they're in BIG trouble...and guess what? THEY AND A COUPLE OF THEIR FRIENDS ARE ON SHIACHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Oj ok, so I guess ti was them randomly handing out my FB link just to annoy me...and the poor dumb gits on sC thought I actually am gonan add random ppl I've not met???? )

I am begging all, especially the sisters, PLEASE, PLEASE, use common sense on SC.

You might think you are anonymous and noone can find out who you are and where you live, but believe me they can, with a little effort and some knowledge which I'm not going to disclose here because I don't want to make it easier for the few scumbags who visit this site.

Most people on SC are who they say they are, but a few are not. We (mods) try our best to find them out and kick them off but we are not naive enough to believe we catch all of them. So here are some rules of thumb to keep you safe here, and other websites you might post on.

#1. Especially younger sisters, don't make avatars or start topics that will draw attention to the fact that you are young and pretty.

Don't use names like , 'Shia Princess' or 'Toocute', etc. You might think this is cool, but it is more than likely to draw the attention of e-stalkers, and believe me, you don't want their attention. Don't start topics like, "Two guys like me and I can't choose between them", etc. Use common sense. Don't draw attention to yourself from the general public. This is against the rules of hijab anyway and your parents probably wouldn't be happy about it either. If you have legitimate issue that you need to talk about (personal issues that may draw attention to yourself), pm one of the sisters who are mods or better yet, talk to your parents or relatives or someone in the community you can trust. SC is not the appropriate place for this.

#2, Especially sisters, do not, under any circumstances post pictures of yourself, even on the personal photo. I know most of you don't do this and this one should be obvious. Also, don't send pictures of yourself to people thru chat that you would not want your grandfather to see. This sounds a little harsh but it will keep you safe.

#3 Don't post personal, private issues. If you have done something haram, or that you may think is haram, SC is not the place to disclose it. There have been several cases in the community where I live of sisters posting details of their personal life online, someone getting those details figuring out who this was, then using it to blackmail her, in other words, unless you do this and this and this, I will tell everyone that you did this and that. You don't want your reputation destroyed. This is not a joke, it has happened and is happening. If you want advice on personal issues, go to your parents first, and if they are not willing or cannot help you, then go to relatives or a alim or trusted persons in the community where you live. If none of those people are availible to you, then pm a sister (moderator).

We all would like to believe that we live in a world where bad people don't exist. Unfortunately, we don't live in that kind of a world. You can protect yourself by using common sense and especially 'Think, Think, and then post'. salams,

If anyone has anymore advice that I missed, please post.

The same ^ goes for Facebook and Myspace.

hehe Mr mod even i tried to make few sister understand please dont put your pic on profile and ans what i got was "why do you keep your pic?"

yar no one is this much stupid, who will put his or her real pic here ?

I know you are not a sister. "Sister I Believe" is a member, and she had started a topic, so I was referring to her.

No Prob. I know you know, I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

I did not make this thread for people to accuse other people or to gripe about SC.

If YOU use common sense you can protect YOURSELF, regardless of what we to mods or other people do.

You are 100% in control over what You type. Everything else that happens after that, you have much less control over. If you think you could be put on someones 'radar' by posting something or you think that someone could use it against you later, don't post it, it's that simple. Then you'll be ok, no matter what someone else does or does not do. If you want to have more meaningful and intimate discussions about personal issues, that is what family, friends, and trusted people in your area are for.Mods should only be your last resort, when you have absolutely noone else to turn to. That is because we have our own problems, families, and are busy with our own lives, and we don't know you, so we probably cannot give you a very good answer, only a very approximate answer, which is usually not good enough.

Edited by Abu Hadi

yar no one is this much stupid, who will put his or her real pic here ?

beloved your brother Ali never lies :angel: i know few who has kept real pics in profile

A member i know has been harrassed a number of times by more than 1 poster on Shiachat. Through PM and MSN. And these were/are notable posters on Shiachat that harrassed her.

So don't trust anyone!

Is there any way you guys can add 'marital status' to a person's info thingy? I've gotten some messages from guys on here trying to pick up, and although i may appear to be quite the catch (shurrup dingdong lol), i'm err already caught (?). I'm sure there have been others in the same situation too?

(Please excuse my dumbness if this is already a feature, i just couldnt find it)

Is there any way you guys can add 'marital status' to a person's info thingy? I've gotten some messages from guys on here trying to pick up, and although i may appear to be quite the catch (shurrup dingdong lol), i'm err already caught (?). I'm sure there have been others in the same situation too?

(Please excuse my dumbness if this is already a feature, i just couldnt find it)

You can type in your marital status in the 'Interests' section (no pun intended lol).

Edited by SpIzo

Once this lady (who still posts here) asked me for my picture so that she could tell me my future. :wacko: Then I have already had a sister find out my mom's name and claims to be my sisters' friend and she even told me my name and I didnt tell her anything. :o But luckily she IS someone my family knows so her stalking attempts are not dangerous (though irritating/shocking/freaky nonetheless). Then Dr Asad (yes HIM) used my name and said I am coming to your house. I had forgotten that I had told him my name. The blood drained out of my body then and I was almost in tears. :rolleyes: Man I wonder why I dont get any serious stalkers after me. :dry: Am I that boring?

shurrup dingdong lol

:unsure:

Edited by dingdong

Hey can someone tell me why its dangerous to get stalked? I mean if you met someone on the street, you wouldnt avoid telling him your name would you? So hows it different online? Wont real life be more dangerous? In real life they can kill you and stuff but online they can only say a few fould words and maybe blackmail you that I am gonna kill you but thats it. And lets say it is more dangerous online, what can I do if I told some folk my name? They seem like reliable folk to me and would be the last people who would do something wrong.

Hey can someone tell me why its dangerous to get stalked? I mean if you met someone on the street, you wouldnt avoid telling him your name would you? So hows it different online? Wont real life be more dangerous? In real life they can kill you and stuff but online they can only say a few fould words and maybe blackmail you that I am gonna kill you but thats it. And lets say it is more dangerous online, what can I do if I told some folk my name? They seem like reliable folk to me and would be the last people who would do something wrong.

I find out your real name. I create a fake account on shiachat, named 'pious hijabi', and 'get to know you'.....like ask your star sign i-e basically trace your exact date of birth. Then I stalk you on facebook, Myspace, MSN, Yahoo e.t.c Finally I become trustworthy enough to share the passwords of our msn accounts. Our love is a mystery; an account of a perfect strange occurence, a companionship divinely arranged in the heavens.... Our marriage is going to occur as soon as you finish your degree and find a job. Then I play around with some softwares to either send a malicious spyware to your comp or to crack the bank account password of anyone using online banking on your computer.

Thats one scenario. There are more..... Like I being the pervert :wink:wink:

Salams

^But how is the online world more dangerous than the real world? I mean cant someone do the same thing in real life? Cant the person like peek over my shoulder and see my credit card PIN when I am at an ATM? (I dont have a credit card, I am poor so no point stalking me :P) Over here when we are done shopping and want to pay the cashier using a credit card, we hand it over to him/her and he enters all the details into that device. So cant he/she get the details then?

I find out your real name. I create a fake account on shiachat, named 'pious hijabi', and 'get to know you'.....like ask your star sign i-e basically trace your exact date of birth. Then I stalk you on facebook, Myspace, MSN, Yahoo e.t.c Finally I become trustworthy enough to share the passwords of our msn accounts. Our love is a mystery; an account of a perfect strange occurence, a companionship divinely arranged in the heavens.... Our marriage is going to occur as soon as you finish your degree and find a job. Then I play around with some softwares to either send a malicious spyware to your comp or to crack the bank account password of anyone using online banking on your computer.

Salams

This may sound pretty pathetic, but if your description of a e-stalker is accurate, I wanna be stalked. lol

^So brother in Islam, Salam Alaikum Masha Allah you are so good, Alhamdo Lillah we still have cute brothers like you. Subhan Allah. So what do you think of sahifah e sajjadiya? You wanna discuss it with me on MSN?

Sound advice, some SC-er made a youtube video of me, and they got a pic off my msn (which they got from a former chat mod). The video is down now, but there's a constant fear that the video will go up again and it'll be used to blackmail me again. Even worse, the member is back even though they were banned or whatever. It's ironic because I was always on everyone's case about safety, and I thought I was careful to the point of paranoia, but [Edited Out] happens.

daeumn... all thse things man.. definetly need to be careful :unsure: y do ppl bother n wat do thy gain frm this *rollin eyez* ohkay ohkay i kno wat thy gain its jus a thing u kno u gotta say!!! :)

I think this POINT NEEDs to be emphasised DONT GIVE OUT YOUR EMAIL here at all and YES all the chosen mods/ future mods shud be Proof checked too hmm ridduluus how people can think to do such a thing also if everyone REMINDS each other it would help :)

Sound advice, some SC-er made a youtube video of me, and they got a pic off my msn (which they got from a former chat mod). The video is down now, but there's a constant fear that the video will go up again and it'll be used to blackmail me again. Even worse, the member is back even though they were banned or whatever. It's ironic because I was always on everyone's case about safety, and I thought I was careful to the point of paranoia, but [Edited Out] happens.

Dont people see you in real life? :wacko: So whats the difference?

All I'm going to say about that is that there are two major differences between 'real life' and net interactions

First major difference: If you see someone in real life, you will see their face and hear their voice, then you know who that person is. You can recognize them in the future and you can talk to them or avoid them based on your past experience with them. On the Internet, you don't know who you are talking to, you only know who they present themselves as. On the net, you can be anyone you want, just by changing your screen name, avatar, email address. A normal user would have no way of knowing who this person really is. You could be talking to your 8 yr old neighbor next door or a 45 year old pedophile in Ukraine who just got their visa to Australia (I just made that up, please noone pm me about that). To be safe, assume you don't know until you are 100% sure you do.

Second major difference: Someone who meets you on the street has no way of finding out where you live, unless you choose to tell them. That is not the case with the Internet. Does that scare you, it should. To be honest, in order to find out where you actually live (the actual house and not the neighboorhood), they would need a little more information than they can gather from your post and email (offline info), but not much more. Without giving away too much, let me just say that say you were stuck in a maze and you needed to find your way out. You would probably leave a trail of breadcrumbs (or seed, or something) along the path so you could find your way back to the entrance if you get lost. You wouldn't need to know where the first breadcrumb is in order to find the entrance, you would just need to know where the one behind you is, then the one behind that, and the one behind that, till you get to the first one, and the entrance. The Internet works like that. When you post, you give someone the breadcrumb that is behind you. In order to go all the way back to the first(you), you need some skill and knowledge which I am not going to talk about, but this should give you some idea that it is possible and maybe stop some of you from not being safe here or other places, such as Facebook and MySpace, which most of you are on. Salams,

Dont people see you in real life? :wacko: So whats the difference?

Uhm, if some psycho had a pic of your sister and was threatening her, you'd think otherwise. However, a picture isn't as bad as phone numbers, and yes people have gotten phone numbers and called people off of sc. I've become a broken record in the chatroom, Don't reveal anything! There's some people who just log in and stare at the screen, they do that long enough, chances are they'll find out who you are easily.

Guest Russian
I am begging all, especially the sisters, PLEASE, PLEASE, use common sense on SC.

You might think you are anonymous and noone can find out who you are and where you live, but believe me they can, with a little effort and some knowledge which I'm not going to disclose here because I don't want to make it easier for the few scumbags who visit this site.

Most people on SC are who they say they are, but a few are not. We (mods) try our best to find them out and kick them off but we are not naive enough to believe we catch all of them. So here are some rules of thumb to keep you safe here, and other websites you might post on.

#1. Especially younger sisters, don't make avatars or start topics that will draw attention to the fact that you are young and pretty.

Don't use names like , 'Shia Princess' or 'Toocute', etc. You might think this is cool, but it is more than likely to draw the attention of e-stalkers, and believe me, you don't want their attention. Don't start topics like, "Two guys like me and I can't choose between them", etc. Use common sense. Don't draw attention to yourself from the general public. This is against the rules of hijab anyway and your parents probably wouldn't be happy about it either. If you have legitimate issue that you need to talk about (personal issues that may draw attention to yourself), pm one of the sisters who are mods or better yet, talk to your parents or relatives or someone in the community you can trust. SC is not the appropriate place for this.

#2, Especially sisters, do not, under any circumstances post pictures of yourself, even on the personal photo. I know most of you don't do this and this one should be obvious. Also, don't send pictures of yourself to people thru chat that you would not want your grandfather to see. This sounds a little harsh but it will keep you safe.

#3 Don't post personal, private issues. If you have done something haram, or that you may think is haram, SC is not the place to disclose it. There have been several cases in the community where I live of sisters posting details of their personal life online, someone getting those details figuring out who this was, then using it to blackmail her, in other words, unless you do this and this and this, I will tell everyone that you did this and that. You don't want your reputation destroyed. This is not a joke, it has happened and is happening. If you want advice on personal issues, go to your parents first, and if they are not willing or cannot help you, then go to relatives or a alim or trusted persons in the community where you live. If none of those people are availible to you, then pm a sister (moderator).

We all would like to believe that we live in a world where bad people don't exist. Unfortunately, we don't live in that kind of a world. You can protect yourself by using common sense and especially 'Think, Think, and then post'. salams,

If anyone has anymore advice that I missed, please post.

The same ^ goes for Facebook and Myspace.

Also for brothers as well, theres some psycho girls out there :)

Guest Zahrah

'sigh'

thanks God, Im neither young, nor beautiful.

but I say don give e mails here. there are some jerk, u know.

I put my yahoo id, here then received some invitations. I admitted them and now Im hacked and cannot enter to my own id. :squeez: :(

Guest Zahrah

:!!!: :lol:

Edited by Zahrah

Guest Zahrah

Salams

is it the same for those who try to change s.b's religion? I mean from osuli to akhbari? Im scared you know :unsure: Im confused and dont know what to do. I acted naively. I've been too stupid. :cry:

still I think God loves me,

oh God!

he must have loved me alot, I was informed. it is a little late but not too late.

tnx everybody

^But how is the online world more dangerous than the real world? I mean cant someone do the same thing in real life? Cant the person like peek over my shoulder and see my credit card PIN when I am at an ATM? (I dont have a credit card, I am poor so no point stalking me :P ) Over here when we are done shopping and want to pay the cashier using a credit card, we hand it over to him/her and he enters all the details into that device. So cant he/she get the details then?

simple

Because evrerything and everybody is virtual here. in aVirtual place we have characters such as Harry Potter, Is he real? can u trust him? No, while he still exist