Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Islam does not support the scientific Research ?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

How will u evaluate these comments? :unsure:

“Islam does not support its follower to for healthy research in science technology and other fields. It tells that life of this world is temporary. Real life is up coming life. We have to face tough jugement. Only those will b successful and got the fooz-ul-azeem which will have greater goods (ma'roof or nakiees). So we should concern with religious offerings like prays, Quran, avoid from evils, should do behave good with others, Recite quran in large, offer prayers, read duas, ziraaats, nawafils at night, tasbeehaat, keep away from “dunia” etc . This will make us successful.

Scientific research can take a lot of time, it is tedious job. May b the thing u r in research, its benefit will be got bye next generations. You can’t get any thing. Never go very deep as all this has to remain here….”

Please don’t get exited discuss it seriously; there are examples of some great Muslim scientist, Verses of Quran and examples of scientific knowledge from masoomeen (a.s). But here it is discussed on the whole, and upon basic philosophy.

What should be life’s aim of a true Muslim? :angel:

• Advanced Member

first Amirul Momineen (as) said: seek knowledge even if you have to go to china

(well this is close anyway, you get the meaning if the words arent perfect) the first thing that was ever said to the Prophet Muhammed (sawas) by the angel gabriel was read!

knowledge, and seeking knowledge, whether it is knowlege from a muslim or a non-muslim, whether it is about religion or about medicine, is obligatory in Islam, seems God thinks he gave us brains for a reason, (ie: to actually use them) he also gave us something else, that is a heart, I am positive we have to use that as well, hence we have a well rounded religion.

Of course we should concern ourselves with praying and duas and things of the next life, however, we also have to balance that with the things of this life. Prophet Muhammed (sawas) said in a hadith to a follower who had quit working and quit doing anything but worshipping Allah, the second Prophet (sawas) found this out He ran to the person and highly critisized them for this action, telling them he has to go and work and cannot expct Allah to simply give him everything without helping himself

(again not the exact wording but this is the meaning)

lifes aim of the muslim should be to utilize whatever gifts Allah has given them within the gidlines set forth in our religion (what I am getting at is not to use our gifts for anything haram) and do our best for the Aimmah (as) and for Allah, to help our neighbors and those in need, this is the test of this life. how to balance religion and life, hence the middle path.

• Advanced Member

It is obligatory for the community to pursue scientific (whether natural or social science) research and knowledge, as well as research into how to apply scientific principles to technologies that can help mankind.

While one should not be overly attached to this world, one must be concerned with it, particularly the well-being of your fellow men. Islam in no way approves of the ascetical approach, or, at least does not approve of it as an end in itself. One cannot spend his time in contemplation of God and self-purification and prayer without then trying to apply the clarity and purification and inner strength toward helping others. Trying to develop and change your community and nation toward the end of social justice is an essential component of the religion. Trying to better the world to help out the rest of creation is a key part of our service to our creator. This because we ourselves, in countless ways, during our lives depend on the help of other human beings. The help of other human beings is one of the channels through which God's blessings and mercy to us are given. To neglect this duty of helping people is to reject God's blessings. Research into any means of bettering the world is a form of worship, and an essential form at that. Science and technology allow human lives to be bettered; they enable human beings to serve each other - and therefore God - in more powerful and efficient ways.

Any community that neglects such research is doomed to abject failure, regardless of how many prayers and fasts and dua's they do. It is a Divine Law of Nature.

• Advanced Member

The more we learn about this world, the more we'll be amazed of Allah's (swt) power. It will also convince us that we are following the right religion because we will understand why Allah has allowed or forbidden certain things.

• Advanced Member
(bismillah)

(salam)

What should be life’s aim of a true Muslim? :angel:

(bismillah)

(salam)

The aim/objective/goal of a 'true' Muslim is to worship Allah. The problem, naturally, arises when trying to determine exactly what that entails.

As far as the specific topic introduced here... 'scientific research'... which we can easily cut down to 'research' since 'science' is derived from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge" or "knowing". Thus the question then becomes... does Islam support knowledge? Another framing... Is the acquisition of knowledge a form of worshiping/serving our Almighty Creator.

Qu'ran:

"He grants wisdom to whom He pleases, and whoever is granted wisdom, he indeed is given a great good and none but men of understanding mind." (2:269)

“and say: ‘My Lord! Increase me in knowledge”[Ta-Ha 20:114]

Ahadith:

“Whoever follows a path in the pursuit of knowledge, Allah (SWT) will make

to Paradise easy for him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-‘Ilm, 10)

“When a man dies, all his deeds come to an end except for three – an ongoing

charity, beneficial knowledge or a righteous son who will pray for him.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 1631)

Let us not forget that our beloved Prophet (pbuh) also told us, "The ink of the scholar is holier than the blood of the martyr."

The following few ahadith are from Usool al-Kafi - Vol 1 - Part 1 - The Book of Excellence of Knowledge:

"To acquire knowledge is obligatory on every Muslim. Lo! Allah loves those who have longing for knowledge." Imam Hussain(as) (pg73)

"It was asked of Abu'l Hasan (pbuh) whether it is permissible for people not to ask questions on a subject which they must know. The Imam replied, 'Certainly not.'" (pg74)

There are plenty more in this book, and if need be, I will provide. :)

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member
Many Muslim scientists tell us that modern science helps them

see the wonders of God's creation, and this is certainly an argument

for preferring the natural sciences over the social sciences. But is it

necessary to study physics or biochemistry to see the signs of God in

all his creatures? The Qur'an keeps on telling Muslims, "Will you

not reflect, will you not ponder, will you not think?" About what?

About the signs, which are found, as over two hundred Qur'anic

verses remind us, in everything, especially natural phenomena. It

does not take a great scientist, or any scientist at all, to understand

that the world speaks loudly of the majesty of its Creator. Any fool

knows this. This is what the Prophet called the "religion of old

women" (dı¯n al-'aja¯'iz), and no one needs any professional training

to understand it.

Science of the cosmos and the soul: by William Chittick

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Ok! We all believe that Islam is the best Deen for all times then why we have left behind from others science and tech. @)

Isn’t it that most Muslims (all sects) religious heads and scholers have reduced the word “Knowledge” to only religious knowledge? They didn’t directly say it but they didn’t give any exposure about the beneficial of scientific knowledge to ummah. They remain between the discussions of feroh-e-deen. It is allowed and and that is not allowed. His fatwa is that and his fatwa is this… and a Muslim passes most of his life in these confusions, Or in defending his point of view…

And in result we have seen that...

We have been left far behind from other nations (religions).

We have not really produced a large number of scientist and inventors.

It is a Reality that it is never stressed by religious scholers that Scienticic research is great ibadah like other great ibadahs. Even greater then those if it is beneficent to whole humanity.

Compare the person who invented electricity, computer of any medicine for saving life (all sadaqa-e-jarea) etc.

With a common very pious human who spent his life in ibadas and in helping others a few around him.

who’s account will still be active ….

and see it

"The best among the humans is that, who is more beneficial to other humans"

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

(wasalam)

Let me begin my discussion this way. It is interesting that many Muslim say that Islam is a best religion to ever existed without actually think about it. First problem is whose version of islam? Answer might be twelver Shi'ism. But whose version of twelver shi'ism? Answer might be Usuli school. But whose version of Usuli, since usuli school is the only islamic school that allows diversity of interpretation. And but whose version can indeed go for infinity. you might say islam of the prophet himself. and I would say whose version of prophet. I have read about 10-15 books about the life time of prophet, one thin has always sticks out for me and that is all of them saw the prophet from different light and different views about him. It was not that they recorded different events but they interpret them differently.

And the second problem is the first sura of Quran. It reads "Guide us to the right (straight) path". If Islam is perfect so it can be said that it is the straight path to God. So by being Muslim and do what is required of us we are already on a straight path and no longer require to say this line. You might say it is required for the namaz. But that devalues the line since in other word you saying it you have to say it not you want to say it. To me best interpretation is Islam is a series of paths with many intersections and offshoot paths and we are constantly asking to guide us to the path (while in the intersection) that is most straight.

There is a story from prophet I heard when I was young it goes like this: Someone came to the prophet and said that his belly hurts and asked the prophet to put his hand on it so it gets healed. and the prophet told him if he wants healing he should go to doctor! :squeez: :angel: That why Quran says that dont asked ask prophet everything.

Now to completely answer the Question, stab yourself in the heart and beg God to help you and read the whole Quran too if a light comes down and heal you I will change my name to jenni (or sheri) but call the parametic and they will get you to hospital and patch you up and be healed (might be tough but now a day can be done). All thanks to modern medicine and science. Prophet was not a warrior and did not like war but when the safety of Muslim was in question God gave the order to fight. Modern science is a necessity for continued survival of Muslim community and even if you bring me a million fatwas from a people who lives in a city where they still ride a donkey to work that islam does not like science. My answer is stupidity cannot be cured so just leave them be.

And If you are a shia you would not have problem with secular (modern) science since the shia philosophy is inherently secular just like greek and western philosophy. Watch Dr Soroush lecture Islam and the concept of secularity on english section of www.drsoroush.com.