Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Black?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Ali, there is no reason.

Had this discussion among some Iranian friends a few years ago.

If you wonder why women wear a black chador etc. it is because Black is an elegant color. and covers the shape efficiently, more than for instance red especially during night time.

• Advanced Member
it doesnt imply anything, sunna wear hijab as well, they just dont wear black ones, which for shi3a represent the sadness of the death of hussein and correct me if im wrong, they also represent that they are members of hizbillah, as for many shi3a they dont all wear black.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234951681

• Banned

hasnt it got something to do with bibi zainab (sa)? that when the prisoners were released from prison after a year, there was a lot of pomp and ceremony and brightly coloured things everywhere, bibi zainab (sa) said that from now on, instead of these bright colours, the colour black would be the colour of her family?

• Advanced Member
So many theories, wonderin which one is true? However, i personally believe that Both prophet pbuh and Hz Ali (as) used to have a black shawl (piece of cloth over shoulders)

I don't think their is a specific reason as to why many Muslims wear black so I think we wear it for our own reasons whether for grief, hijab, a sign of opposition etc

• Advanced Member

yes, we are not allowed to pray in black, but we can wear black for mourning etc. by men it is only usually worn during muharram for this reason, too much trouble to change everytime you pray,

I wear black all the time (but for prayers I have a white cover) just because it is not see through and more modest in public.

• Advanced Member

Ameer ul Momineen (a.s) said

Black Dress is the dress of Fir'on

Ref: Tahzeeb ul Islam pg 20 Urdu version

Person ask Imam Jaffer Al Sadiq (a.s)

Can i pray namaz with Black Cap ?

Imam Repied

It is dress of those who are in hell

Ref : Tahzeeb ul Islam pg 20 Urdu version

Its really a confusing matter for me

I myself wore black dress during Muharram but how to deal with that hadith ?

• Advanced Member

ãÍãÏ Èä íÚÞæÈ Úä ÚÏÉ ãä ÃÕÍÇÈäÇ Úä ÃÍãÏ Èä ãÍãÏ ÑÝÚå Úä ÃÈí ÚÈÏÇááå (Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã) ÞÇá: íßÑå ÇáÓæÇÏ ÅáÇ Ýí ËáÇËÉ: ÇáÎÝ¡ æÇáÚãÇãÉ¡ æÇáßÓÇÁ.

Muhammad b. Ya`qub from a group of our companions from Ahmad b. Muhammad going up to Abu `Abdillah . He said: Black is disliked but in three: the khuff, the `amama, and the kisa’.

(and then of course remove anything which is black before prayers)

ourside of that I think we all wear black in Muharram and I think there is hadith about it but I am not sure. Inshallah if there is hadith saying that during Muharram we can or should wear black then it is ok to do so, but I am sure that there is a hadith concerning wearing black during muharram.

I will look for it brother.

• Advanced Member

http://www.answering-ansar.org/answers/azadari/en/chap8.php

Wearing black attire

Nasibi Qadhi Mazhar Husayn in his book "Hum Matam kyoon nahee kartey" says that black was the attire of the people of Pharaoh and the people of Hell.

There is no basis for such a claim in the Qur'an or Sunnah. Those asserting that it is a dress of Pharaoh and Hell should look after their own homes. According to their concepts those who dye their beards black are hell bound, so how can they criticize the Shi'a when they themselves are heading in that direction?

Answering the assertion that those wearing black will not get a sniff of Paradise

In one of the respected books of Sunan Abu Daud Book 33, Number 4200: Combing the Hair (Kitab Al-Tarajjul)

Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas:

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: At the end of time there will be people who will use this black dye like the crops of doves who will not experience the fragrance of Paradise.

Comment

Therefore, if those who wear black in mourning Husayn (as) will go to hell, then, according to this tradition, those Nasibi mullahs who dye their beards black will also go to hell.

According to Ahl'ul Sunnah, it is forbidden to dye your beard black

In one of the respected book of Ahl'ul Sunnah, Fatawa Mohammad ibn Ahmad (Delhi 2nd Edition), page 27 it is said:

The concerned Maulana (Shaykh) was asked whether it was allowed to dye one's beard black or with henna. The answer was that it is Sunnah to dye one's hair red or yellow, but it is forbidden to dye one's hair black. Mujahid does not agree with this view.

The Prophet (s) wore black

In the prominent book of Ahl'ul Sunnah, Zaad-Al Maad, First Edition, (compiled by Mohammad bin Abi Bakr), it is stated:

The Prophet (S) wore an embellished cloak, as well as a plain one, and he also wore black attire.

Comment

Qadri writes in his journal on page 14 that this attire is that of the Pharaoh and also that this attire is of the inhabitants of hell.

The prominent books of Ahl'ul Sunnah state that the Prophet (s) wore this attire. Therefore, those who claim to be the vanguards of the Prophet (s)'s honour should answer why the Prophet (s) wore the black attire, if it is indeed the attire of Pharaoh and of the inhabitants of hell?

Gabriel attired in black attire

In the esteemed Sunni work Tareekh Baghdad 4th Edition, page 232, it is stated that

Anas states that the Prophet (s) said that Gabriel came to him one day wearing a black cloak as well as a black turban on his head and black shoes in his feet.

Comment

If the black attire is indeed that of the Pharaoh and that of the inhabitants of hell then what befell Gabriel that he wore the attire of the Pharaoh or that he came to the Prophet (s) in the attire of the inhabitants of hell. This serves as a clear example of the extent that these (Nasibi) Mullahs go to in their efforts to prevent any mention of Imam Husayn (as).

Hadrath Umar in black attire

In the prominent book of Ahl'ul Sunnah, Tareekh Tabari, page 2836, it is stated:

The narrator says: I saw Hadrath Umar wearing a tied black shroud during the extreme heat of the day, as well as another (black shroud) draped across his body.

Comment

Thus, those who say that the black attire is that of the inhabitants of hell should look at their own house first.

Wearing black while mourning Uthman

In the prominent book of Ahlul Sunnah, Sharh Shumail Tirmidhi, page 166 it is said:

On the day of the murder of Hadrath Uthman, a party of people wore black just as Imam Hassan (as) used to give sermons whilst attired in black. Moreover his turban also used to be black.

Comment

Thus, it is proven that the Sahaba wore black on the day of the murder of Uthman. If this is the attire of the inhabitants of hell, then which category do these Salaf belong to?

The Prophet (s)'s shroud was black

In the prominent book of Ahl'ul Sunnah, Sirat Ibn Hisham, 4th Edition, it is stated on page 665:

Ayesha says: When the Prophet (s) was experiencing severe pain, he was wrapped in a black shroud.

In the prominent book of Ahl'ul Sunnah, Neel ul Authar, Volume 2 page 112, (compiled by Maulana Qadhi Mohammad Shaukani), we read:

Ayesha states that the Prophet (s) arrived one day wearing a black woollen shroud.

The Prophet (s)'s turban was black

This can be evidenced from the following works of Ahl'ul Sunnah:

Jami al Tirmidhi Edition 1, Page 542

Saheeh Muslim Kitab Al-Hajj Book 007, Number 3146:

Sunan Nasai, Edition 8, Page 211

Sunan ibn Majah, Page 79

Al Muajum Al-Saghir Lil Tabrani Page 9,

Jabir bin Abdullah al-Ansari (Allah be pleased with them) reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) entered Mecca and Qutayba (another narrator) stated that he entered Mecca in the Year of Victory, wearing a black turban but not wearing the Ihram.

Imam Abu Hanifa wearing black after death

In the prominent book of Ahl'ul Sunnah, Tareekh Baghdad Edition 13, page 423, it is stated that:

The narrator states: I saw in a dream a coffin on which was a black shroud. Christian priests were sitting near it. I asked them whose coffin it was. They said it was that of Imam Abu Hanifa. I told this dream to Abu Yusuf. He told me not to tell it to anyone else.

Djinns wore black when Umar died

In the prominent book of Ahl'ul Sunnah, Riyadh al Nadhira Volume 2 Page 197 (printed in Baghdad), it is said:

The narrator says that upon the death of Umar the Djinns recited Marsiyah: O Umar! While mourning your death the ladies of the Djinns are beating their faces, which resemble Dinars in beauty, and they are wearing black attires instead of silken ones.

Comment

Look at the tales their scholars cook up when one of their own dies! If the black attire belongs to the inhabitants of hell, then why did the Djinns have to wear black upon the death of Umar? And if the black attire belongs to the Pharaoh, then upon the death of Umar why did the Djinns suddenly become followers of Pharaoh?

To the lovers of Justice! All the Nasibi religious organisations are silent when it comes to Umar because he is one of their own. But whenever the mourning for Imam Husayn (as) is discussed, these very organisations seem to be extremely perturbed by the black attire! This is nothing but enmity to the Ahl'ul Bayt (as)!

Imam Hassan (as)'s black attire

In one of the prominent books of Ahl'ul Sunnah, Sharh Shumail Tirmidhi, page 166, it is stated that:

Imam Hassan used to deliver the sermon wearing black attire. And his turban was also black.

Comment

This has been mentioned before, but we are mentioning it again in order to point out the fact that the beloved grandson of the Prophet (s), Imam Hassan (as), used to wear black. Will these Mullahs stoop so low in their opposition to the Azadari for Imam Husayn (as) that all respect for the Ahl'ul Bayt will disappear from their hearts?

The black attire worn by the Ladies of the Household of the Prophet (s) while mourning Imam Husayn (as)

In the Shi'a book Al-Hadaeq al Nasirah, 3rd Edition, Page 142, it is stated that:

"The act of wearing black, in reality, has nothing to do with the (illogical) traditions condemning it because it has been mentioned (enduringly) for posterity in the most authentic traditions that the symbols of mourning should be made manifest in the mourning for Imam Husayn (as).

Thus, when Imam Husayn (as) was martyred, the ladies of Banu Hashim wore the black attire and they did not change it even if the weather was hot or cold. The ladies would be busy mourning and Imam Zain ul Abideen (as) would bring food for them".

Comment

O you! Who recite the Kalima of the Prophet (s)! The grand daughters of your Prophet (s) wore the black attire for a long time mourning the slain Imam (as)! Now it is up to you to say what you want of them.

The Islamic status of black attire

We have proven from the respected books of Ahl'ul Sunnah (as the coming references will also explain) that upon the death of the Khalifa of the Ahl'ul Sunnah Uthman ibn al Affan, his relatives dressed in black, and Umar also put on this attire. Moreover, the Prophet (s) also wore black as did Imam Hassan (as). The great Imam received a black shroud upon his death. The Djinns dressed in black on Usman's death. Keeping in view these points, if someone henceforth condemns a mourner wearing black it can only mean that he is a veiled enemy of Imam Husayn (as); someone who secretly feels happy at his Martyrdom. These are people who recite the Kalima of the Prophet (s)! Is this how you payback the debt of Prophethood? Is this your love of the Prophet(s) and his Ahl'ul Bayt?

Edited by Mikayl

I wear a black jacket. Black is my color of chose.

Maybe i think it is because i dont like to show off. It is a color to hide.

Ninja warrior used to wear black in order to hide. Ninjas are cool types. Ninjutsu is the most famous martial art chosen for its representation. Ninja is simply cool. :Hijabi: