Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
zainab_

Fatwa's on music by Ayatollah Shirazi

Rate this topic

Question

Is music Halaal or Haraam in Islam?

Is music Halaal or Haraam in Islam? Or is there any particular category of music that can be classified as Halaal?

Answer

According to the clear hadith from the infallible Imams (as), Music is Haraam.

On this basis, the Fatwa (decree) of Ayatollah Imam Muhammad Shirazi is that Music is Haraam. This includes listening to music, playing musical instruments, and buying or selling such instruments.

Any kind of music, which would be in the category of being "moving" music, is Haraam. Furthermore, the music that could be categorised as "not moving", but played by the same or similar instruments, is also Haraam. In short, music is Haraam whether or not it could be categorised as "moving".

Along the same line, the "music of the human voice", i.e. singing, even without the playing of musical instruments, is also Haraam. This is so, to the extent that even if the Qur'an is recited in a "singing" manner, this action is regarded as Haraam.

Needles to say, in Islam one is encouraged, according to many hadith, to recite the Qur'an in the "best manner" to the extent that the listener would be touched by it, and that listening to this recitation would create humility in one's heart before Allah (SWT). But this is different from when one is "singing" the Qur'an.

It may be asked, "How do we differentiate between the singing of the Qur'an and the recitation or TILAWAH of the Qur'an?" The answer is this is determined by the 'URF which is the "common definition amongst the public" or the "general consensus". If the recitation of the Qur'an is seen as "recitation" and "TILAWAH" then it is Halaal, and if it is seen and regarded as "singing", then that singing of the Qur'an is Haraam.

Some may call the sound of sea waves, waterfall, willowing wind, etc. to be music. If this is the case then this kind of "music" is Halaal! Provided that it is not accompanied by the conventional singing or the playing of conventional musical instrument(s).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question

I want to ask you about Music in Shari'ah

1) What type of listening music is allowed in Islam?

2) Can children be allowed music in school, I mean music used in rhymes, poems in school learning, is that allowed?

3) What about the music used during war times and the National Anthem?

4) What about listening to a form of music called Qawwali in sub-continent?

5) Can I listen to music alone or with my husband?

6) Is music without vocal allowed like classical music listening at home?

7) Can we sing song in marriages without music is that allowed with daf or drum?

Awaiting your responses.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Answer

Bismillah al-Rahmaan al-Raheem

In general listening to any kind of musical notes, which are produced using any kind of musical instruments is Haraam. Also lyrical singing using the human vocals is also Haraam.

Therefore the answers to your questions are given consecutively as follows:

All types of music are Haraam in Islam.

1.) It is Haraam to allow children to listen to music in school. To use rhymes in school learning is allowed but WITHOUT music.

2) If the music during war times is produced using the musical instruments, then it is not allowed. The music of the National Anthem is also Haraam.

3) Qawwali music is also not allowed.

4) Listening to music is Haraam, whether you are alone, or with your husband.

5) Classical music is also Haraam.

6) If the lyrics sang are commonly known as songs, for example they are sang by singing stars, then it is Haraam to do so. However traditionally there are poems, lyrics or NASHEED, as referred to in Arabic, which are not commonly regarded as songs, and have normally been recited on wedding occasions are allowed to be recited in weddings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question

My niece is going to get married soon and her husband's family want to have music and songs in the wedding ceremony. Can I go just to sit with my niece or it's haram. Thank you.

Answer

It is Haraam for you to go and sit with your niece in the wedding ceremony knowing that music will be played.

In fact, it may even be your religious duty before Allah to practice "Nah-y ‘An-el-Munkar" – which means to forbid evil - by reminding the future in-laws of your niece of the Haraam nature of music, and they should therefore refrain from allowing music to be played during the wedding ceremony. If they persist on doing so, you could arrange with them that music be stopped for a period of time - say half an hour - so that you, and others like you, could participate in the wedding ceremony for that period and then leave.

Question

What is Islam's perspective on music over all? One of the Muslim brothers here said music is totally forbidden in Islam. We listen to audiocassettes that family members send us from Iran , for instance, the late works of Mr. Esfahani who sang about Ashura with music. We told the brother about it and he said because the cassettes come from Iran does not make it ok. It is haram. Considering the situation here where American wild music is pouring down on us from everywhere we go, how wrong are we to listen to a poem about Hazrat Ali Asqar (as) that Mr. Esfahani sang (with music)

Answer

According to the teachings of Islam Music is Haraam. Regardless of which country it comes from, and despite it being accompanied with Ashura or Ali Asqar song, it is still Haraam.

Question

I was wondering about music. A brother of mine once told me that it is ok to listen to romantic music if you are alone with your wife. I am not currently married but am wondering what is the answer to that? I have read that music is Haraam but this brother of mine insists that if it is to please your wife (and you are home with her and alone) you may listen to romantic music to make her feel how much you love her. Please kindly provide me with guidance InSha'Allah.

Answer

It is HARAAM to listen to romantic music, or any music for that matter. Whether you are with your wife or otherwise, it is haraam to listen to music under any circumstances. There is some discussion on music in the Q & A section of our website which should also be of interest to you, and your friend! webmaster@shirazi.org.uk

http://imamshirazi.com/music.html

Here are some traditions that may be of interest to you, regarding the issue of music:

Hazrat Imam Ali ar-Reza (a.s.) remarks,

"A person invites Divine wrath when in his house instruments like flute, drum and chess are played for forty days. If this man dies within these forty days, his death would be of a sinner and a transgressor. His place shall be in Hell. And what a dreadful place it is!"

(Mustanad al Taraqi)

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) has stated,

"A person who possesses a sitar, on the day of Qiyamat will be raised with a black face. His hands will be holding a sitar of fire. Seventy thousand angels with maces of fire will be hitting him on the face and the head. The singer will arise from his grave, blind, deaf and dumb. The adulterer will be similarly raised. The player of flute will also be made to rise in this way as will be the drum player."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

Hazrat Imam Ali ar-Reza (a.s.) has said,

"To listen to a musical instrument is one of the Greater Sins."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

Amirul Momineen Ali (a.s.) says,

"Angels do not even enter a house that has wine, drum, tambourine or a flute. Even the prayers of the inhabitants of this house are unacceptable. They are deprived of barakat."

(Wasaelush Shia)

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) has also said,

"The Almighty Allah has sent me as a mercy to the worlds, to guide the people. And He ordered me to eradicate the playing of flute and other instruments of music, all games of vice, idol (worship) and all practices of the days of ignorance."

(Mustadrakul Wasael, Chapter 79)

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) reports from the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) that he said:

"I prohibit for you dancing and playing flute, drums and tabla."

(Al Kafi)

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) has also said,

“Even learning to sing or play music and teaching it, to sing and play music, to be paid for these things or to be in any way engrossed in these vices is Haraam."

(Tohafful Uqool)

The sixth Holy Imam, Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) said,

"Listening to music, songs and useless words cultivate hypocrisy in the heart, in the same way as algae grows in water."

(Al Kafi)

Al Kafi mentions a tradition of Imam as-Sadiq (a.s.) that,

"Singing and music is a nest for the bird called hypocrisy."

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) says:

"The house where music is played is not safe from sudden disasters. Supplications at such a place are not answered. Angels do not enter this place."

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) is quoted to have said:

"Molten lead shall be poured into the ears of one who listens to songs, intently."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

It is also narrated from Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) that he said,

"Whenever a person begins singing, two satans mount on his shoulders and continue to hit their heels upon his chest, till the time he sings the song."

Hazrat Imam Ali Ibn Musa ar-Reza (a.s.) said,

"One who avoids songs shall be provided by Allah, a tree, which will produce such a melodious sound as has never been heard by anyone. But the one who has not kept himself aloof from songs will not be able to hear this sound."

(Al Kafi)

The following tradition of Allah's Messenger (s.a.w.s.) is recorded in the book Tafseer Majmaul Bayan,

"One who has listened to too many songs will not be able to hear the Ruhaanis on the Day of Qiyamat."

"Who are the Ruhaanis, O Prophet of Allah (s.a.w.s.)?" someone asked.

The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) replied,

"They are the melodious singers of Heaven."

A similar tradition from Ali (a.s.) is found in Nahjul Balagha,

"Hazrat Dawood (a.s.) will be the chief of the singers of Paradise."

(Nahjul Balagha)

"The people will listen to such melodious songs from Hazrat Dawood (a.s.) in Heaven, the like of which have never been heard by anyone. However only those who have refrained from listening to songs in this world would be able to hear them."

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) said:

"Singing is the stepping stone to fornication."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) says,

"And all those wasteful pastimes are haraam which make one forgetful of Allah; like songs and playing musical instruments."

The traditions concerning the signs of the last stage before the Zuhoor of our Imam (a.s.) mention music:

"And you shall see that music will be so prevalent that no one will dissuade others nor will he find in himself the need to do so. And you shall see that music would be openly played even in the two sanctuaries (the city of Makkah and Madinah)."

(Mustanade Naraqi)

There are also hazardous effects upon ones health:

Music has been shown to cause the release of elevated levels of the stress hormone Adrenaline (Epinephrine), which can act to trigger the process of Vasoconstriction, this can lead to:

- Increased blood pressure

- Irregular heart rates

- Profound affects upon the nervous system

Independently, high levels of music have been shown to induce medical stress reactions, which is obviously expected, due to Adrenaline release. Other proven effects of music listening are increased frequency of headaches, fatigue, stomach ulcers and vertigo.

These things have all been listed as haram, these were the common musical instruments of the time but they are representitive of musical insturments of all times including our time.

flute - wind insturments

drums - percussion insturments

tabla - also percussion

sitar - string insturments

tamborine - also percussion I believe

This represents all the types of musical instruments there are. In any music they make from classical to rock these are all used to this day.

Edited by zainab_

Read the complete article, grounded with Quran-e-Pak, Hadees-e-Mubaraka and Science.

http://www.ummah.net/khoei/wabil/music1.htm

Maula Rasoolallah SAWAW said:

"A person who possesses a sitar, on the day of Qiyamat will be raised with a black face. His hands will be holding a sitar of fire. Seventy thousand angels with maces of fire will be hitting him on the face and the head. The singer will arise from his grave, blind, deaf and dumb. The adulterer will be similarly raised. The player of flute will also be made to rise in this way as will be the drum player."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

"The Almighty Allah has sent me as a mercy to the worlds, to guide the people. And He ordered me to eradicate the playing of flute and other instruments of music, all games of vice, idol (worship) and all practices of the days of ignorance."

(Mustadrakul Wasael, Chapter 79)

"Molten lead shall be poured into the ears of one who listens to songs, intently."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

Maula Ali ASWS said:

"Angels do not even enter a house that has wine, drum, tambourine or a flute. Even the prayers of the inhabitants of this house are unacceptable. They are deprived of barakat."

(Wasaelush Shia)

Maula Jafar-e-Sadiq ASWS reported from Maula Rasoolallah SAWAW said:

"I prohibit for you dancing and playing flute, drums and tabla."

(Al Kafi)

Maula Jafar-e-Sadiq ASWS said:

“Even learning to sing or play music and teaching it, to sing and play music, to be paid for these things or to be in any way engrossed in these vices is Haraam."

(Tohafful Uqool)

"Listening to music, songs and useless words cultivate hypocrisy in the heart, in the same way as algae grows in water."

(Al Kafi)

"Singing and music is a nest for the bird called hypocrisy."

(Al Kafi)

"The house where music is played is not safe from sudden disasters. Supplications at such a place are not answered. Angels do not enter this place."

"Whenever a person begins singing, two satans mount on his shoulders and continue to hit their heels upon his chest, till the time he sings the song."

Maula Raza ASWS said:

"A person invites Divine wrath when in his house instruments like flute, drum and chess are played for forty days. If this man dies within these forty days, his death would be of a sinner and a transgressor. His place shall be in Hell. And what a dreadful place it is!"

(Mustanad al Taraqi)

Maula Raza ASWS said:

"To listen to a musical instrument is one of the Greater Sins."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

Maula Raza ASWS said:

"One who avoids songs shall be provided by Allah, a tree, which will produce such a melodious sound as has never been heard by anyone. But the one who has not kept himself aloof from songs will not be able to hear this sound."

(Al Kafi)

The following tradition of Allah's Messenger (s.a.w.s.) is recorded in the book Tafseer Majmaul Bayan,

"One who has listened to too many songs will not be able to hear the Ruhaanis on the Day of Qiyamat."

"Who are the Ruhaanis, O Prophet of Allah (s.a.w.s.)?" someone asked.

The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) replied,

"They are the melodious singers of Heaven."

Maula Ali ASWS said:

"Hazrat Dawood (a.s.) will be the chief of the singers of Paradise."

(Nahjul Balagha)

"The people will listen to such melodious songs from Hazrat Dawood (a.s.) in Heaven, the like of which have never been heard by anyone. However only those who have refrained from listening to songs in this world would be able to hear them."

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s.) said:

"Singing is the stepping stone to fornication."

(Mustadrakul Wasael)

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (a.s.) says,

"And all those wasteful pastimes are haraam which make one forgetful of Allah; like songs and playing musical instruments."

The traditions concerning the signs of the last stage before the Zuhoor of our Imam (a.s.) mention music:

"And you shall see that music will be so prevalent that no one will dissuade others nor will he find in himself the need to do so. And you shall see that music would be openly played even in the two sanctuaries (the city of Makkah and Madinah)."

(Mustanade Naraqi)

Ahsanty sister

I listen to Shia Latom and (Nasheed with music) every day.

Even on the Iranian TV you can listen some kind of music.

Fatwas of this Ayatullah are so shocking. O My God.

Iran does lots of worng things. Allah say follow me, my prophet and the Imams. Allah did not say follow Iran. Moreover, Iran is not a roll model.

but life without music become so dull. yuck.

what to do?

then we are branded as boring or too religious.

what to do??? help ,advise or just put up with it........

Why do you call your self servant of god?

:!!!:

I listen to Shia Latom and (Nasheed with music) every day.

Even on the Iranian TV you can listen some kind of music.

Fatwas of this Ayatullah are so shocking. O My God. :wacko:

According to many scholars as well as all the ahadith of the Aimmah (as) on this topic there are NO circumstances in which music would be considered halal, before we see heaven (inshallah)''

When the Imam's (as) tell us a thing then in all love and obedience to Them we simply do it, we don't question Them because They (as) know better than we what is halal and what is haram, I do not even need to ask why, They (as) only tell us things for our better. Out of love for them we simply do what we are told. This is a good hadith concerning obedience to the Aimmah (as):

Sahl ibn al-Hasan al-Khurasani who was one of the followers of Ahlu-l-Bayt in Khurasan (a province in Iran) came to Medeenah to meet imaam Ja'faru-s-Saadiq (Úáíå ÓáÇã). Sahlu-l-Khurasani said: “O son of the Rasool Allaah! You are of the A'immah of Ahlu-l-Bayt. What prevents you from getting your right (i.e. the rule) while you find more than one hundred thousand partisans (shi'a) who are ready to fight for you?” The Imaam (Úáíå ÓáÇã) asked him to sit down, and then ordered to turn on the oven that was in the house. after the oven became very hot and turned red, the Imaam (Úáíå ÓáÇã) said: “O Khurasani step into the oven and sit in it.” The Khurasani said: “My master, o son of the Rasool Allaah! Do not punish me by fire and make it easy for me.”

At this time, Haroonu-l-Makki entered the room, and after the greetings exchanged, the Imam (Úáíå ÓáÇã) told him to put down his shoes and to sit down inside the oven. He did so and the Imam (Úáíå ÓáÇã) started talking to Sahl about Khurasan as if nothing has happened. After some time, the Imaam (Úáíå ÓáÇã) said: “O Khurasani stand up and look inside the oven.” Sahl looked into the oven and saw Haroon sitting cross-legged inside the fire. Then Imaam As-Sadiq (Úáíå ÓáÇã) asked Haroon to come out of oven and he came out healthy with no burn or injury. At this time, the Imaam (Úáíå ÓáÇã) asked Sahl: “How many individuals do you know in Khurasan like this man?” Sahl replied: “By Allaah, not even one.” The Imaam (Úáíå ÓáÇã) confirmed his saying and said, “We do not rise at this time when we do not even have five helpers (like him). We know better about the proper time.”

Bihaaru-l-Anwaar, vol 47, p123, hadith #172; also in manaqib by ibn shahr ashub

Do you want to be a shia like this man Haroon (ra)? You only do it through absolute love and obedience to our Aimmah (as) We cant mix halal and haram either, if you mix what is good with what is bad you loose all your rewards for the good that you did.

but life without music become so dull. yuck.

what to do?

then we are branded as boring or too religious.

what to do??? help ,advise or just put up with it........

Life without the music of people is not dull, because then you can hear the music of Allah (aza wa jaal) who cares what people think, they are not your judge on the day of judgement! You cant live your life according to people who listen to the shaytan, but you can live your life according to what Allah (azwj) wants for you, this is what is best for you. If I lived my life according to the will of the people I would never have said salat and I would never have put on hijab. I had one day to decide, that no matter what, this is what is right, so I did it, I followed in all truth the laws of Allah and his Prophet (pbuh) and the Imams (as) you have to decide the same, though our circumstances are different, we all have to decide, are we going to follow this religion in truth? or not. The decision is yours brother, I hope you make the right choice.

Read the complete article, grounded with Quran-e-Pak, Hadees-e-Mubaraka and Science

Thank you brother, that was very good of you to share, may Allah reward you.

Ahsanty sister

Thank you Crown of Hay, thank you very much. May Allah be with you always and forgive you of your sins, and be with you and your family always.

Allahumma Salle Ala Mohammedin Wa Ale Mohammed wa Ajjil Farrajjahum