Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

obedience to parents and family members

Rate this topic

shaista0712

• Advanced Member

I am changing my course major and my parents are not going to be pleased with this

is this considered disobedience to parents?

My sister is so angry that she will continue to taunt me and refuse to help me in future.

I have changed my major several times and they had advised me to stick to this one.

I have decided to change my major becoz I can not do the current major. my heart is not in it.

they dont want to understand this.

• Advanced Member

You are 30 years old and you have a sister that will taunt you? Man.....

anyway, you can not do a good job at something you don't like. That's the truth. No one can, honestly. That is not disobedience to parents, because parents should not tell their children what they want them to be. That takes away the whole individuality and uniqueness of that soul. That's like forcing your child to become a sheikh. In Islam, you can't do this...

• Advanced Member

Sis, sounds like you need someone to sit down with you and really help you figure out what the best career path is for you. My advice is to go to your university career center and have them help you pick a major that you can stick with and are satisfied with. If you find something truly fulfilling, it will be easier to explain it to your parents and to stand up for yourself. A career counselor can give you some career assessments to help you determine what your skills, interests, and values are and possible career matches. I'm interning for the career counseling center at a university in the US and this is something we deal with every day. :) There are a lot of great, in-depth assessments out there to give you a lot of ideas about majors and careers that you will be happy with and good at.

• Advanced Member

I can understand why your parents are worried about you...my parents would be worried for me too if I had changed majors several times.

Are your parents funding your tuition because if they are then I think their concern is reasonable.

How about you guys agree to do an istekhara (about whether or not you should change) and then decide accordingly? That's what we usually do when we are unsure what decision to make.

I personally don't agree with the notion of having to be passionate about a field in order to be successful in it. I can't think of anything I am passionate enough to pursue...even the degree I am working to achieve right now is not particularly appealing to me but despite that I am doing fairly well in it.

Good luck :)

• Advanced Member
I am changing my course major and my parents are not going to be pleased with this

is this considered disobedience to parents?

My sister is so angry that she will continue to taunt me and refuse to help me in future.

I have changed my major several times and they had advised me to stick to this one.

I have decided to change my major becoz I can not do the current major. my heart is not in it.

they dont want to understand this.

Well im guessing you've already been 'disobedient' to your parents by switching several times already - so whats just one more disobedient sin?

Just be disobedient to get your own way this time, do tauba, apologise to them, and live happily ever after. :squeez:

• Advanced Member
Well im guessing you've already been 'disobedient' to your parents by switching several times already - so whats just one more disobedient sin?

Just be disobedient to get your own way this time, do tauba, apologise to them, and live happily ever after. :squeez:

not everyone does this mabey they just needed to find out what they were happy doing!! many college students change majors in order to find which one they lik eits called sampleing!!

helema

also its not a sin to do that whixch makes you ahppy your parents are not slave drivers they are parents there to guide but ultimately it is your choice weather or not to do something. Its like the hijabis and non hijabis they choose their path and both will end up in front of Allah on judgement day!!