In the Name of God بسم الله

change your car's flat tire by yourself...

• Advanced Member

i have not, and i hope i will never be in that circumstance. though, my mom in law had. it was happening when she was around 35, and it was in the middle of rain :squeez: .. i really proud of her...i dont know what would i do if that ever happened to me, i'd most probably either call my husband or remain silent in the car while hoping the crane car will stop by. lol

so how about u ladies, have you ever done it by yourselves?

Edited by smiley

• Veteran Member

I helped my room mate put on snow tires already on rims. It was easy. All the stuff you need is in the back of the car under the mat in a depression that also has a little (useless?) tire in it. the hard part is moving the tires to and from the car. They are heavy and dirty.

Women can do anything! :rolleyes:

• Veteran Member
lol! i dont even know how to drive.. :P

I know how to drive - I just have to get my licence :Hijabi: I passed the test and got a temporary one but didnt go back in the time period i was supposed to, to get my permanent one. Now i dont know if I have to do the testing all over again. But i dont have a car so it is not urgent i guess.

• Advanced Member

Yes, of course I've changed a flat before. I've also changed spark plugs, belts, alternator, solenoid, and more. I only didn't like to do anything that involved going under the car. Even though I did a lot of my own mechanical work on my first car, I always paid someone else to change the oil.

(I also used to have manual windshield wipers. :P)

• Advanced Member
Yes, of course I've changed a flat before. I've also changed spark plugs, belts, alternator, solenoid, and more. I only didn't like to do anything that involved going under the car. Even though I did a lot of my own mechanical work on my first car, I always paid someone else to change the oil.

Wow!!! That's some amazing mechanical skills. :!!!: Where did you learn to do all of this? I wish I had half your talents.

• Advanced Member

^Thanks for the compliments, but I didn't (and still don't) have any mechanical talent. I just bought the Haynes Repair Manual for my model of car, then followed the directions. I've not done any of my own mechanical work since I've had children - I don't have time for it. And my car is probably much safer for it. My first car had parts tied on with wire and twine, manual windshield wipers, and brakes that periodically failed because I let a friend "repair" my brakes when they were squealing. Once the steering wheel started smoking, and I had to replace the controls of the turn signals and wipers, because I had used the wrong size bulb in a signal light. (oops!) People, especially women, are capable of doing whatever they need to do. I needed a car, so I made mine work. I'm sure every woman on this forum is as capable of keeping a car running as I was, and probably a lot of women here are more mechanically inclined, so could probably keep their car running much more safely.

No, I have never changed a tyre all by myself... I was in this situation once, last year ....i was going to uni and was getting late so i took the car, the tyre flattened in the middle on the road.. :( and i had no idea how to change a tyre, so i had to call my dad and ask him to help me out.... it was sooo embrassing and frustrating, as i missed my class that day.. due to this, but after that , my bro taught me to how to change a tyre and now i always check all the tyres before leaving home.

• Advanced Member
I know how to drive - I just have to get my licence :Hijabi: I passed the test and got a temporary one but didnt go back in the time period i was supposed to, to get my permanent one. Now i dont know if I have to do the testing all over again. But i dont have a car so it is not urgent i guess.

I jus drove like 2 3 times but not all by myself. That was before i was married, my uncle jus took me out for a ride, and i begged him to teach me too, so i jus drove very slowly.

Inshallah ill learn, and driving is very important, my husband goes to work and to study, so there are lots of thing undone. One should know how to drive. My mother in law wants me to drive,, but that is after i give birth Inshallah.

• Advanced Member
(salam)

No!

I don't even change washer fluid in my car or inflate the tire. Husband does all that.

I wouldn't know the first thing about changing the car tires. :Hijabi:

sounds so familiar :D

wow!

• Advanced Member
... Once the steering wheel started smoking, and I had to replace the controls of the turn signals and wipers, because I had used the wrong size bulb in a signal light. (oops!)

that'd certainly freak me out! okay, so this new year resolution: i must read and learn the manual book!

always check all the tyres before leaving home.

nice tip!

Edited by adore2lights

• Veteran Member
I jus drove like 2 3 times but not all by myself. That was before i was married, my uncle jus took me out for a ride, and i begged him to teach me too, so i jus drove very slowly.

Inshallah ill learn, and driving is very important, my husband goes to work and to study, so there are lots of thing undone. One should know how to drive. My mother in law wants me to drive,, but that is after i give birth Inshallah.

Good idea - learn after the baby is born - you may want to go somewhere and with a baby it will be much easier in the car.

• Veteran Member

If you are determined to keep your car going, you learn these things. Manual windshield wipers are ...your hand with a rag out the window???

I would pay someone else to do the oil too - at one of those Mr. Lube places - because what would you do with the old oil?? I dont even know how you could dispose of it very easily.

• Advanced Member
Good idea - learn after the baby is born - you may want to go somewhere and with a baby it will be much easier in the car.

Yea inshallah! But im a bit scared to drive in a place like Pakistan. You never know whos gonna stop you on gunpoint and just rob you off! And than as the topic states, flat tire, im so dumb to do that :Hijabi:

• Advanced Member

LOL, actually, manual windshield wipers are a long string with each end tied to one wiper, so I could pull them to the left and right together. From outside, if you didn't look that closely, you probably couldn't even tell that anything was out of the ordinary. The wiper motor worked, and the arm wasn't broken, but for some reason I had the hardest time getting the bolt that connects the wiper arm to the motor assembly to stay intact. I fixed it a dozen times before I finally gave up and went with the more reliable (but sorta damp because both front windows had to be down a crack) manual wipers. :D

• Veteran Member
LOL, actually, manual windshield wipers are a long string with each end tied to one wiper, so I could ) manual wipers. :D

pull them to the left and right together. From outside, if you didn't look that closely, you probably couldn't even tell that anything was out of the ordinary. The wiper motor worked, and the arm wasn't broken, but for some reason I had the hardest time getting the bolt that connects the wiper arm to the motor assembly to stay intact. I fixed it a dozen times before I finally gave up and went with the more reliable (but sorta damp because both front windows had to be down a crack

Wow

- i am impressed. I will remember that if the need should arise!!

• Advanced Member
I don't have a flat car, but if I did would it make any difference if I changed the tyre? :P

I also giggled at the word arrangement of the topic title, but then I read the first few posts and just had to reply seriously. I mean, seriously, why wouldn't a woman be able to take care of herself and her property? If she doesn't at least intend to learn basic emergency procedures, she shouldn't be driving. (Same would apply for a man, of course.)

• Veteran Member

I think being pregnant, giving birth, nursing and taking care of the diapers, clothes, food, housework, household budget etc is a lot more complicated than changing a tire. Lots of women do really complicated things everyday and never think about how complex it is. and carrying a two or three year old around on your hip is heavier work than rolling a dirty tire to a car.

• Advanced Member

I just know how to unlock a car and rev up its enginer till its about to blow. I dont even wanna learn how to drive cuz I dont want people sending me off for errands just when I dont want to. (not that I dont like helping people). If I had a choice I would just use public transport if it was good enough.

• Veteran Member
I just know how to unlock a car and rev up its enginer till its about to blow. I dont even wanna learn how to drive cuz I dont want people sending me off for errands just when I dont want to. (not that I dont like helping people). If I had a choice I would just use public transport if it was good enough.

I prefer the bus - you dont have to find parking and it lets you off exactly where you want to be and yu can wander all over town and when you are finished take the nearest bus home. Sooo convenient.

• Advanced Member

Yes, I have changed a car's tire. It actually was my father's car, but since I had just learnt to drive at the time, he guided me through it while I did all the work.

My father was Special Forces and believed (and still does) that every person capable of it should be able to take care of routine things: if you drive, such and such things you can fix yourself, for these other things require a tow. This is how you fix them, and this is how you arrange a tow/repair. And if you drive a car, you must maintain it in good order: if you want it to be messy, that's fine, but you'd by God better have properly operating windshield wipers, manage the oil, gas and water, check the tires for pressure and leaks, and otherwise behave like a responsible person.

With rights come responsibilities. If you don't take care of responsibilities, you lose your rights - in this case, because your car won't go!