Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
The Khan

Isn't Ali (high) a name of Allah?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Greetings, dear brothers and sisters,

Does not Aliyy appear in 4:34, 31:30, 42:4, and 42:51? Is it pronounced the same as Ali? Does not al-Aliyy mean "the most high"?

Peace.

Salam Alykom

yes its one of Asma Alhussna. Yes its proununced Ali in Arabic. Sometimes just tanwwen makes it different like Aliyan. I think this is its literal meaning but there must be a deep explaination for it.

there is ahadith saying that the name of Imam Ali (as) came from the name of Allah as well.

The Prophet (pbuh) said:

In me Allah placed prophecy and benediction (al-nubuwwa l'baraka), and in Ali He placed the Imamate, and a chivilrous spirit, , then He gave us names having our names derive from His: from His name the Praised One of the Throne (dhu l-'arsh mahmud) He formed my name, Muhammed, and from His name The Supreme, The Superior (al-Ali al-Alaa) He formed the name Ali.

likewise there are hadith that say where the 5 of the cloak got their names also:

Fatima (as) from al-Fatir, the Creator

Hasan (as) from al-Musin the Benefactor

Hussein (as) from dhu l-ihsan, the Lord of Kindness

Edited by zainab_

(salam)

Greetings,

Thank you for your replies. It's just that I like saying "Ya Ali", however, I wish to directly communicate with God alone, without associating any partners with him.

Peace.

No, they are not the same.

It's just like saying... isn't Kareem a name of Allah (swt)?

No.

Kareem is Kareem, but Allah (swt) is AL-Kareem.

AL wahhabi and wahhabi means the same thing, and it is considered to be a abusive word in our community, mr AL wahhabi !

They are two different words with different pronounciations.

Imam Ali --- is pronounced with a light "a", or a simple "Ú"

Al- Aali (The Superior) --- is pronounced with a lengthened "a", alternatively a "Ú" followed by an "Ç" sound in arabic. So becoming: Al-A'ali.

god is al-'aliyy (wity two y's and the emphasis on the y)

such as al-'aliyy-yul-'azeem

whereas 'ali (as) is with only a long 'i' sound at the end

so they are different words

if you say ya 'aliyy, you are referring to god

if you say ya 'ali, you are referring to 'ali

the words are related but there is a subtle difference

hope that helps

yes they are two words one is derived from the other, hence showing us the greatness and position of Imam Ali (as) may we all see in this that which Allah wants to see and not deny the Divine favor and grace of our Imam (as)

it simply bothers me that now you all are trying to deny even the name of my Imam (as) I think everyone should be ashamed.

Edited by zainab_

(salam)

Dear okhee,

I'm not attempting to deny the name of your Imam, I have nothing but full respect for Ali (ra). I just prefer to communicate with God (swt) alone. :)

Peace.

let me translate in english,

God (SWT) is Al-Aliyy meaning THE HIGH stressing on "THE" . while ali means High... God(SWT) is AL-Kareem which means THE Generous while kareem only means generous. A person being called ali or kareem is just a person who is high or generous... while God(SWT) is THE HIGH and THE GENEROUS which gives him the ultimate highness and generosity, while any person can be of high status and generosity, he will never surpass THE Ultimate features attributed to God(SWT). Imam Hussein(AS) is called AL-HUSSEIN because Hussein is not a name of God(SWT). Imam Ali(AS) could not be called Al-Ali since this is a name of God(SWT).

I hope that was helpful

Edited by ramzi

let me translate in english,

God (SWT) is Al-Aliyy meaning THE HIGH stressing on "THE" . while ali means High... God(SWT) is AL-Kareem which means THE Generous while kareem only means generous. A person being called ali or kareem is just a person who is high or generous... while God(SWT) is THE HIGH and THE GENEROUS which gives him the ultimate highness and generosity, while any person can be of high status and generosity, he will never surpass THE Ultimate features attributed to God(SWT). Imam Hussein(AS) is called AL-HUSSEIN because Hussein is not a name of God(SWT). Imam Ali(AS) could not be called Al-Ali since this is a name of God(SWT).

I hope that was helpful

(salam)

In Sura 1: 1 = Al Hamdulellah... the first Words of the fatiha, Comes the Roots HAMD which is linked to the Name of Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) ; and there is no Arab or Quraysh with this Name in the pre-islamic Era to my little knowledge,

We can Find in Sura Al Alaa and in the Vesre of Qursiy (throne)in sura baqarah 2:255 ( Aliyun Azeem) the Roots of the Name of ALI. I don't know if there were any Sahaba bearing this name before the IMAM (as) in pre-islamic era, as well as His Sons the Imams HASSAN (as) and HUSSEIN (as) .

moreover even in bhari and Muslim books, The full Name: Aliy bin abi taleb = 12 arabic letters !!! It may be just a coincidence but In SHIAT UL ALIYYINE Madhab, it is quite a Wonderful Coincidence mostly if we melt it with Bukhari's hadeeth N° 9329 Vol 4, kita ul Ahkam and the 12 Califs after Holy Prophet. (same thing in Muslim).

Ali is Not GOD, Not Part of GOD, but ALI is never separated from GOD's Sirat ul mustaghime ( Right path). and he is the Prince of the Believers of the universe.

Maa Salaam

(salam)

In Sura 1: 1 = Al Hamdulellah... the first Words of the fatiha, Comes the Roots HAMD which is linked to the Name of Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) ; and there is no Arab or Quraysh with this Name in the pre-islamic Era to my little knowledge,

We can Find in Sura Al Alaa and in the Vesre of Qursiy (throne)in sura baqarah 2:255 ( Aliyun Azeem) the Roots of the Name of ALI. I don't know if there were any Sahaba bearing this name before the IMAM (as) in pre-islamic era, as well as His Sons the Imams HASSAN (as) and HUSSEIN (as) .

moreover even in bhari and Muslim books, The full Name: Aliy bin abi taleb = 12 arabic letters !!! It may be just a coincidence but In SHIAT UL ALIYYINE Madhab, it is quite a Wonderful Coincidence mostly if we melt it with Bukhari's hadeeth N° 9329 Vol 4, kita ul Ahkam and the 12 Califs after Holy Prophet. (same thing in Muslim).

Ali is Not GOD, Not Part of GOD, but ALI is never separated from GOD's Sirat ul mustaghime ( Right path). and he is the Prince of the Believers of the universe.

Maa Salaam

Imam Ali(AS) is the best of creation after the Prophet(SAAW). May God join us with them in the next life InshaAllah

Not necessarily. Words on the pattern of Fa'eel in Arabic can either be Faa'il or Maf'ool bihi. For example Qateel means Maqtool not Qaatil.

In other words 'Ali can actually also mean Ma'liy; elevated/one who has been lifted and not necessarily High.

The word for Most High is A'laa not 'Aliy.

Even if we interpret the name of Abu Turaab as "High", so what?

Two of the names of Allah are Ra'oof and Raheem but the Prophet himself has been called Ra'oof and Raheem in 9:128

Why? This is because Allah pocesses the quality of His attributes in the absolute sense while His creatures may pocess those qualities only in the relative sense. This hold true for many of the names of Allah like Kareem, Ghaafir, Maalik, Haadi, 'Aleem, Hakeem, 'Azeez, Shaheed, Wahid, Noor etc. You get the picture.

(salam)

Dear okhee,

I'm not attempting to deny the name of your Imam, I have nothing but full respect for Ali (ra). I just prefer to communicate with God (swt) alone. :)

Peace.

how do u communicate with God alone? do you isolate God mentally from the rest of creation? if you do then that mental isolation is itself a creation. This means therefore that the only way to communicate to God is through creation. thats why there is creation. thats why God created creation. that mental isolation you have in your mind is actually a 'name' of God. and that name of God is just like all other entities in this universe (which are all equally names (different names) of God). we know God through His names and everything in creation is a name of God including that mental image you have of God as being isolated. And some names manifest God more than others. And the perfect people in their inner reality are the most perfect manifestation or most perfect 'name' of God. And u can guess wat that name is> 'Allah'. but this is just a name! the name then names what is named. and wat is named is God in Himself.

:) take care

MK

Edited by eThErEaL

(salam)

Dear okhee,

I'm not attempting to deny the name of your Imam, I have nothing but full respect for Ali (ra). I just prefer to communicate with God ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì alone. smile.gif

Peace.

With all due respect, Hazrat Mosa tried to do that, couldn't handle the noor at koh e toor! A mere simple entity can never confront God. You have to seek help of HIS creations.. God gets known by HIS creations. And some creations are superior than the others. through them, you can communicate with the God

With all due respect, Hazrat Mosa tried to do that, couldn't handle the noor at koh e toor! A mere simple entity can never confront God. You have to seek help of HIS creations.. God gets known by HIS creations. And some creations are superior than the others. through them, you can communicate with the God

I think the brother mean't not associating anyone else with Allah in any context, not about confronting God ( I guess brother mean't praying and not confronting as Prophet Musa had done), but asking from Allah, It has been repeatedly informed in Quran to not associated anyone with Allah. Like
As from Surah Fatiha

~Maliki yawmid deen
Master of the Day of Judgement.

Iyyaka na'a budu wa-iyyaka nasta aeen ~
It is You (alone) we worship; and You (alone) we ask for help.

Allah knows the best

Making dua to Allah is hardly the same thing as wanting to 'see' Allah. Are you claiming that we can't ask anything from Allah directly?