Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Photi

anecdote of the holy prophet(as)

Rate this topic

salams all,

about 11 years ago i read a little anecdote on the Prophet Muhammad(as). it was not so much a sirah as it was a short little essay (<1000words) about the character of the Prophet. I am a convert and I read this a few months before I converted. That was the first time i remember having genuine affection for Muhammad. If I recall, it was written by Dr. Hassan Hathout. I have done a google search on his name, and there is a guy by that name who is pretty active in the american muslim community, but i couldn't find the story.

like i said, it was a short anecdote. the english was simple but elegant and eloquent and to the point. if i recall, there was something in there about the prophet's affection for cats. does anyone know what i am talking about? i wish i would have saved it then, but my university email expired and now i cannot find the story on the net. if someone has it or knows what i am talking about, i would love a copy. or any other short essay about the prophet or the imams, may Allah's peace and blessings be on them all, that is effective on the level of love and affection.

ps, i put this in sunni shia dialogue because I think professor hathout is a sunni. i thought some of the sunnis who frequent this site might know what i am talking about. please move to the proper forum if necessary.

Was this it?

Prophet Muhammad AS and the Cats

Prophet Mohammed AS advised the people to treat their cats (pets) as a member of their family, and by this he meant to take a good care of them. Not only by words, but also with his actions he was a very good role model. For example: “the stories of Muezza, the Prophet Muhammad’s AS favourite cat: The most famous story about Muezza recounts how the call to prayer was given, and as Prophet Mohammed AS went to put on one of his robes, he found his cat sleeping on one of the sleeves. Rather than disturbing the cat, he cut off the sleeve and let him sleep. When he returned, Muezza awoke and bowed down to Prophet Muhammad AS and in return he stroked him three times. It is also believed that when Prophet Muhammad gave sermons within his household he would often hold Muezza in his lap”.

no, that is not it, but that is nice and i have a feeling that the information in the essay about the cat was taken from this. is this a hadith? i remember that part about the sleeve. at any rate, the cat was only one portion of the story. it was more like a snapshot of who the prophet as was, a few facts of his virtues put into prose form.

Was this it?

Prophet Muhammad AS and the Cats

Prophet Mohammed AS advised the people to treat their cats (pets) as a member of their family, and by this he meant to take a good care of them.

So in this text does the word 'cat' mean our modern day cat or just any pet. I do like cats. Just curious.