Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
syed_hasan_taqvi

is it ok

Rate this topic

(bismillah) (salam)

hey people i wnna ask u that is it ok to ate food prepared by an unbeliever.like when Muslims and hindus were living together.the people there didnt care that whether the food is prepared by hindu or Muslim.and even now adays people living in europeon countries or in america r eating the same food that has been prepared by the non Muslims(mostly)so is it ok to eat food prepared by a non Muslim?

wassalam-o-alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh.

(bismillah) (salam)

hey people i wnna ask u that is it ok to ate food prepared by an unbeliever.like when Muslims and hindus were living together.the people there didnt care that whether the food is prepared by hindu or Muslim.and even now adays people living in europeon countries or in america r eating the same food that has been prepared by the non Muslims(mostly)so is it ok to eat food prepared by a non Muslim?

IF YOU EAT FOOD PREPARED BY NON-MUSLIM, IT HAS NEGATIVE EFFECTS ON YOUR SPIRITUALITY.

It is ok to eat from Ahlal-Kitab i.e Jews, Christinians, Muslims. Of course with conditions of meat being halal or just eating veg etc

Eating from people other than those mentioned above is forbidden by most in not all maraje3, and as the brother above mentioned, it's supposed to have a negative effect upon the nafs.

It is ok to eat from Ahlal-Kitab i.e Jews, Christinians, Muslims. Of course with conditions of meat being halal or just eating veg etc

Eating from people other than those mentioned above is forbidden by most in not all maraje3, and as the brother above mentioned, it's supposed to have a negative effect upon the nafs.

NAFS AND SPIRIT (ROOH) ARE NOT EQUAL (as you said).

1) NAFS nourishes with bad deeds

2) ROOH nourisheds with good deeds

(bismillah) (salam)

Do not generalize!! Every muslim in the West doesn't eat food prepared by Hindus.

I live in the States and do not eat food prepared by Hindus although I do shop in their stores and buy dry groceries which I obviously wash thoroughly before cooking. I eat vegetarian stuff prepared by the Ahl-e-Kitaab, but I make sure they make it infront of me with a new pair of gloves on. I don't want a direct contact between my food and their hands- but thats just how I am- everyone is different!

P.S: I do not eat at restaurants where food is prepared behind closed doors, except if I am at a Halaal Muslim Restaurant and I feel I can trust them, if I have an inkling of doubt, I am not entering that restaurant again!!

I heard it does have a negetive impact on you. They say "what you eat, makes you" cuz the food will ultimately make the blood running in your veins...

Edited by Dew-Drop

If you consider Hindus as Kafir, then aren't everone who doesn't believe in Wilaya of Imam Ali a.s., a Kafir. BTW I never heard that you can eat the meals prepared by Jews, Christians, Sunnis, etc. Any Ahadith please, if you have any.

Ya Ali Madad

If you consider Hindus as Kafir, then aren't everone who doesn't believe in Wilaya of Imam Ali a.s., a Kafir. BTW I never heard that you can eat the meals prepared by Jews, Christians, Sunnis, etc. Any Ahadith please, if you have any.

Ya Ali Madad

Here you go: http://www.sistani.org/local.php?modules=n...d=5&cid=409

Question: Is it permissible to eat foods prepared by Christians and Jews?

Answer: Since the followers of the past revealed religions (that is, the Jews, the Christians and the Zoroastrians) are ritually pure, many of the problems concerning the status and permissibility of the food are resolved when we live in their midst. It becomes permissible for us as Muslims to eat from their food no matter whether they touched it with their wet hands or not as long as we do not know or are not sure that it consists of what is forbidden to us, like intoxicating drinks. As for meat, fat and their extracts, there are specific rules that will be discussed later on.

2 Question: Is it permissible permissible to eat from non Ahlul Kitãb people?

Answer: A Muslim is allowed to eat the food prepared by a non-Muslim who is not from Ahlul Kitãb [for example, a Hindu or a Buddhist], provided that he does not know or is not sure that the non-Muslim touched the food with wetness; and provided that he does not know or is not sure that the food consists of what is forbidden to him like intoxicating drinks. As for meat, fat and their extracts, there are specific rules that will come later on.

3 Question: What is the fatwa about Ahlul Kitab? Are they clean or unclean?

Answer: The Ahlul Kitab (that is, the Jews, the Christians and the Zoroastrians) are ritually pure (tahir) as long as you do not know that they have become ritually impure (najis) by coming into contact with an impure object. You can follow this ruling when dealing with them.

It's a question of being a "Mushrik" not "Wilayah". Eating food prepared by Hindus is "haraam", eating food prepared by Ehle Kitaab is "makruh". I could be wrong though..

Here's what confuses me though:

Hindus = Mushrik because they assiciate partners with Allah

Christians = Believe Jesus as Son of God and they believe in Trinity.

Ofcourse, not all of them believe in trinity, but I think they all believe Jesus as Son of God, then why is their food makruh not haraam?

P.S: Shia & Proud: Hope you didn't mind me putting up the link, since the brother had asked you.. :)

Edited by Dew-Drop

Here you go: http://www.sistani.org/local.php?modules=n...d=5&cid=409

Answer: Since the followers of the past revealed religions (that is, the Jews, the Christians and the Zoroastrians) are ritually pure, many of the problems concerning the status and permissibility of the food are resolved when we live in their midst. It becomes permissible for us as Muslims to eat from their food no matter whether they touched it with their wet hands or not as long as we do not know or are not sure that it consists of what is forbidden to us, like intoxicating drinks. As for meat, fat and their extracts, there are specific rules that will be discussed later on.

2 Question: Is it permissible permissible to eat from non Ahlul Kitãb people?

Answer: A Muslim is allowed to eat the food prepared by a non-Muslim who is not from Ahlul Kitãb [for example, a Hindu or a Buddhist], provided that he does not know or is not sure that the non-Muslim touched the food with wetness; and provided that he does not know or is not sure that the food consists of what is forbidden to him like intoxicating drinks. As for meat, fat and their extracts, there are specific rules that will come later on.

3 Question: What is the fatwa about Ahlul Kitab? Are they clean or unclean?

Answer: The Ahlul Kitab (that is, the Jews, the Christians and the Zoroastrians) are ritually pure (tahir) as long as you do not know that they have become ritually impure (najis) by coming into contact with an impure object. You can follow this ruling when dealing with them.

It's a question of being a "Mushrik" not "Wilayah". Eating food prepared by Hindus is "haraam", eating food prepared by Ehle Kitaab is "makruh". I could be wrong though..

Here's what confuses me though:

Hindus = Mushrik because they assiciate partners with Allah

Christians = Believe Jesus as Son of God and they believe in Trinity.

Ofcourse, not all of them believe in trinity, but I think they all believe Jesus as Son of God, then why is their food makruh not haraam?

P.S: Shia & Proud: Hope you didn't mind me putting up the link, since the brother had asked you.. :)

i dont understand... the part i bolded are both contradictory... the answer the person gave is saying you CAN eat food from non Ahlul Kitab on the condition that you are in doubt if they touch the food if they were wet(if they are not wet than is food allowed from them?? as the only condition its telling is them being wet)

while your interpretation is clearly said its haram...

anyways for people who has completely declared that any food from non-muslim is haram i think should think it over... there are muslims like me who have NO muslims around, no muslim restaurants, how are we suppose to manage than??

in simple Pizza Hut and McDonalds are the only choices (offcourse only halal food)

(bismillah) (salam)

Only if out of necessity you should stay away from it as i refuse to eat any meat here in the u.s. (as im not close to any Islamic meat shops and not really aware of any kosher markets) but regardless food of the people of the book is advised, and absolutely try to stay far from anything with false god's names pronounced over them such as hindu foods pagans, it is gods blessing that makes it pure and wholesome praise be to Allah almighty and true the only who forbids and the only one who allows and remember if you have done this without know Allah is most merciful to those who turn to him earnestly

more on this matter

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1783319

Edited by Muhammadibnleunardi

i dont understand... the part i bolded are both contradictory... the answer the person gave is saying you CAN eat food from non Ahlul Kitab on the condition that you are in doubt if they touch the food if they were wet(if they are not wet than is food allowed from them?? as the only condition its telling is them being wet)

while your interpretation is clearly said its haram...

anyways for people who has completely declared that any food from non-muslim is haram i think should think it over... there are muslims like me who have NO muslims around, no muslim restaurants, how are we suppose to manage than??

in simple Pizza Hut and McDonalds are the only choices (offcourse only halal food)

As far as my knowledge takes me, since you have NO muslims around you can eat the "vegetarian" food prepared by Pizza Hut and McDonalds and whatever else place you choose to go. (I also live in an area where there are very few muslims and driving till their restaurant is very time consuming sometimes 'cuz I am also a full time student, work and also have my household chores).

And as for the parts you bolded saying they are contradictory:

Firstly, "I" per my little knowledge said it is haraam and I explicitly mentioned "I could be wrong though". I was talking on the pretext that there are muslims around and should you choose to go to a "hindu" restaurant.

The second part was from a Mujtahed's website!!

And to answer your q, from what little I know, if their hands are not wet, yes you are allowed to eat, they could wear gloves and prepare your food- just the way I request when I go to restaurants!!

Infact I heard somewhere that if a hindu is selling stuff that is dry and you can wash it (make it taahir) you can buy that too-- simply make it taahir and use it. Again, I could be wrong! :)

If Christians were ritually pure then when they first become muslim they would not have to do a complete ghusul, I second the question is there any any ahadith on the matter?, no one has yet given us any ahadith.

just a side not but I do not eat anything my mother has cooked, (she is christian) when I am at her house I do all the cooking. Though I have to say I have never looked into the issue. That is just a feeling, and it works for me. But it might be nice to know.

Edited by zainab_

If Christians were ritually pure then when they first become muslim they would not have to do a complete ghusul, I second the question is there any any ahadith on the matter?, no one has yet given us any ahadith.

just a side not but I do not eat anything my mother has cooked, (she is christian) when I am at her house I do all the cooking. Though I have to say I have never looked into the issue. That is just a feeling, and it works for me. But it might be nice to know.

that's just a cut and paste from above. i am a convert and have sorta christian parents. it is hard enough to turn down the meat offered when i am home. i couldn't imagine turning down everything else my mom offered, that would be such an insult to her. if it is not haram, don't avoid it, people get very touchy about food they make and offer. it is an extension of their soul in a way.

(salam)

The Qur'an answers your question and any arguments:

(bismillah)

Forbidden to you (for food) are: Al-Maytatah (the dead animals - cattle-beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine, and the meat of that which has been slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allâh, or has been slaughtered for idols, etc., or on which Allâh's Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering, and that which has been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by the goring of horns - and that which has been (partly) eaten by a wild animal - unless you are able to slaughter it (before its death) ­ and that which is sacrificed (slaughtered) on An­Nusub (stone altars). (Forbidden) also is to use arrows seeking luck or decision, (all) that is Fisqun (disobedience of Allâh and sin). This day, those who disbelieved have given up all hope of your religion, so fear them not, but fear Me. This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islâm as your religion. But as for him who is forced by severe hunger, with no inclination to sin (such can eat these above-mentioned meats), then surely, Allâh is Oft­Forgiving, Most Merciful.

They ask you (O Muhammad ) what is lawful for them (as food ). Say: "Lawful unto you are At­Tayyibât [all kind of Halâl (lawful­good) foods which Allâh has made lawful]. And those beasts and birds of prey which you have trained as hounds, training and teaching them (to catch) in the manner as directed to you by Allâh; so eat of what they catch for you, but pronounce the Name of Allâh over it, and fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is Swift in reckoning."

Made lawful to you this day are At­Tayyibât [all kinds of Halâl (lawful) foods, which Allâh has made lawful]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals, etc.) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time, when you have given their due Mahr (bridal money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girl-friends. And whosoever disbelieves in the Oneness of Allâh and in all the other Articles of Faith [i.e. His (Allâh's), Angels, His Holy Books, His Messengers, the Day of Resurrection and Al­Qadar (Divine Preordainments)], then fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers.

(5:3-5)

So what do we learn here?

First first ayah deals with haram foods, and it gives a list of what is haram in terms of food (drink not included). Hindus are polytheists and therefore any meat prepared by them is automatically haram.

The second ayah says it is permissible to send hunting animals (falcons, dogs, etc.) to fetch food for you, just as long as you recite "Bismillah" before eating from it.

The third ayah says the at-Tayibbat of Jews and Christians is lawful for us, as they still believe in Allah despite their differences in belief. It also says that their virtuous women are lawful for Muslim men.

Just remember that it is best to be monetarily supporting your brothers and sisters in Islam within the Ummah, so I would recommend buying your goods from a Muslim source. Keep these rules and exceptions in mind.

Edited by Qa'im

Why would any of you believe another human being to be ritually impure simply because of his religious beliefs? Why would any human be inherently unclean?

Actually, it makes a lot of sense (naqli and aqli)..

Edited by The Persian Shah

Could you please elaborate then? It doesn't make sense to me.

Think of the analogy of a chemist in a laboratory. They take no risks, and employ the principle of uncertainty: Every chemical is dealt with as if it could potentially be anthrax - unless they are absolutely certain by other means.

Likewise, Muslims employ the principle of ihtiyat. You will only eat a substance if you know it is clean, and if dubious: treat it like anthrax (i.e. don't eat it). The rule is in general, that anything prepared by the Ahlul-Kitab is clean, since they have laws they abide to for keeping things clean, but there is no such guarantee with a kaafir. Just like a chemist trusts the chemist before him to have put the chemicals back in the right place after use and so won't check every single bottle to see if it is the right one before starting his/her experiments; but if an inexperienced non-chemist had previously been in the lab, then there is a much higher chance of something having been misplaced. You will notice that this method is not one hundred percent perfect proof (the chemist before him may have had still actually made a mistake, despite his/her experience, or the momin cooking the dinner may have had still actually made a mistake, despite his/her beliefs), but outside maths and philosophy, nothing is. This is the most practical way that is applicable in real life, as evidently acknowledged by the empericists as well..

I think your confusion is mainly with how this matter relates to people's beliefs though. However, this issue is not directly caused by their beliefs, only indirectly, as it is one's beliefs which dictate if they follow correct cleaning procedures and thus if they are physically clean. This is all it comes down to at the end of the day. (Notice by beliefs I am not referring to beliefs as in tawhid, trinity, etc - as even the food of some mushriks [i.e. Christians] is fully halal)..

Also note the precedence given to information other than their beliefs as well (unless they are absolutely certain by other means // as long as we do not know or are not sure that it consists of what is forbidden to us, like intoxicating drinks). Eating/not eating from one based on their beliefs is only a general rule, but if you know for sure that something is dirty, by other means, despite it being handled by a Muslim, then that food would be considered haram. Likewise, if you know that something is clean (say, a plate for example, because you had washed it yourself), despite it having been previously handled by a kaafir, then that plate (by definition) would still be considered clean..

You arguments above however support the notion that no human is inherently dirty because of his beliefs. Rather your arguments support the notion that humans are inherently clean, but can acquire uncleanness incidentally through unhygienic ways of life.

Persian Shah, the Christians have absolutely no religious rules regarding physical cleanliness or food hygiene. Pardon my boldness but they wipe their bottoms with their right hand which they may wash or not afterwards (depending on the culture) and then prepare the food for you.

An Indian Christian follows the same hygiene as a Hindu so when it comes to physical cleanliness there is no difference between their food.

You arguments above however support the notion that no human is [inherently] dirty because of his beliefs. Rather your arguments support the notion that humans are [inherently] clean, but can acquire uncleanness incidentally through unhygienic ways of life.

That is correct. What do you mean by "inherently" clean/dirty anyway though ? It should be just clean/dirty..

Persian Shah, the Christians have absolutely no religious rules regarding physical cleanliness or food hygiene. Pardon my boldness but they wipe their bottoms with their right hand which they may wash or not afterwards (depending on the culture) and then prepare the food for you.

An Indian Christian follows the same hygiene as a Hindu so when it comes to physical cleanliness there is no difference between their food.

Evidently, they do have rules. Whether they follow them or not, is another matter (same is the case with Muslims as well)..

Besides, if you are in doubt, then you don't have to eat from them:

The Ahlul Kitab (that is, the Jews, the Christians and the Zoroastrians) are ritually pure (tahir) as long as you do not know that they have become ritually impure (najis) by coming into contact with an impure object.

I heard it does have a negetive impact on you. They say "what you eat, makes you" cuz the food will ultimately make the blood running in your veins...

Yeah...that's what i meant. The word "supposed" was used as a figure of speech, lol. :)

No problem! Saved me the time :P

Evidently, they do have rules. Whether they follow them or not, is another matter (same is the case with Muslims as well)..

I challenge you to show me 'Christian' rules of hygiene brother. Christianity has no 'law' as we Muslims (or Jews for that matter) know it. One of the most fundamental beliefs of all Christian denominations is that Jesus had freed them from following such laws when he allegedly died on the cross.

They have general moral rules but when it comes to everyday things like what types of food you can eat, hygiene, beard, etc. they have no religious rules whatsoever.

Edited by 786abdullah786

I challenge you to show me 'Christian' rules of hygiene brother. Christianity has no 'law' as we Muslims (or Jews for that matter) know it. One of the most fundamental beliefs of all Christian denominations is that Jesus had freed them from following such laws when he allegedly died on the cross.

They have general moral rules but when it comes to everyday things like what types of food you can eat, hygiene, beard, etc. they have no religious rules whatsoever.

There is no point challenging me, I didn't make the rules. You need to put forward your question to the `ulema, who base their view (of which they are all in agreement with) on our own sources (from Qur`an/Aimmah [AS]). In effect, it is the Imams [AS] that you are challenging..

No, I'm challenging your theory that the whole thing comes down to physical cleanliness only. Physically, an Indian Christian is as clean as a Hindu and not beause he doesn't follow his religious laws on hygiene but because Christianity has none.

And as for ulama, more and more of them are slowly coming to the conclusion that there is no such thing as inherent najasat in human beings but I dont really want to get into that and change the thread into bashing 'liberal Ayatullahs' again.

As far as my knowledge takes me, since you have NO muslims around you can eat the "vegetarian" food prepared by Pizza Hut and McDonalds and whatever else place you choose to go. (I also live in an area where there are very few muslims and driving till their restaurant is very time consuming sometimes 'cuz I am also a full time student, work and also have my household chores).

And as for the parts you bolded saying they are contradictory:

Firstly, "I" per my little knowledge said it is haraam and I explicitly mentioned "I could be wrong though". I was talking on the pretext that there are muslims around and should you choose to go to a "hindu" restaurant.

The second part was from a Mujtahed's website!!

And to answer your q, from what little I know, if their hands are not wet, yes you are allowed to eat, they could wear gloves and prepare your food- just the way I request when I go to restaurants!!

Infact I heard somewhere that if a hindu is selling stuff that is dry and you can wash it (make it taahir) you can buy that too-- simply make it taahir and use it. Again, I could be wrong! :)

(bismillah)

(salam)

tell me why could u b wrong?