Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Karachi's mayor second-best in the world

Rate this topic

Peer

• Advanced Member

Mustafa Kamal declared second best world mayor

KARACHI: An award winning American magazine Foreign Policy, has chosen Nazim Karachi, Syed Mustafa Kamal as second among the three best mayors in the world for the year 2008.

The magazine has included the names of Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit and Wang Hongju, Mayor of Chongqing as the other mayors of the moment, said a CDGK statement issued on Sunday.

The magazine said no city globalises on its own, but with shrewd investments and smart urban planning, a mayor can help turn a regional player into a global powerhouse.

About Mustafa Kamal the magazine wrote that the mayor of Karachi is an unlikely poster child for innovative urban planning.

It said the 36-year-old Mustafa Kamal governs a city that's more often in the news for religious violence than cosmopolitan ways. But the hard-charging Kamal is looking to change all that. He's courting foreign investment, encouraging international ties, and boosting the city's tourism.

According to the US magazine Kamal is not shy about his goals: He has said he wants to turn Karachi into the next Dubai. His Green Karachi project aims to plant thousands of trees in the city. Kamal is not letting anything stand in the way of his grand plans. He has threatened to arrest anyone who tries to cut down the new saplings, it added.

In a statement, the Nazim said that in the past there was no concept of ownership in Karachi. He said his administration carried out development works on a large scale, but added that lot of work still remains to be done.

DAWN

• Advanced Member

Kamal, became mayor of Karachi through corruption, threat, violence, and fake and fraudulent votes, has been declared top mayor by a local united state’s magazine ‘foreign policy’. The magazine has very little circulation less than two lakh.

The magazine was established in 1970, by two individuals.

1-mr. Huntington, and,

2-mr. warren.

Do you know mr. Huntington? This is the one, who has special feelings with muslims and this is the same individual, who produced the theory of ‘clash of civilization’ based on muslim hatred.

Do you know mr. warren? He is close friend of Henry Kissinger. Both share same views on various issues.

Now, you know the status and connections of kamal ???

The status of terrorist wahabi mqm like al-qaeda ???

• Forum Administrators

All I know is that having been to Karachi recently the roads actually worked and there seemed to be much less dust/rubbish than in previous trips.

Everyone seemed to have a good word to say about the Nizam.

OTOH it would be interesting to see whether these positive practical developments are accompanied by a more pro-western agenda in other areas.

As I've said before I think the increasing presence of foreign banks into PK and particularly the growth of consumer finance, is going to impoverish the country

• Advanced Member
All I know is that having been to Karachi recently the roads actually worked and there seemed to be much less dust/rubbish than in previous trips.

Everyone seemed to have a good word to say about the Nizam.

OTOH it would be interesting to see whether these positive practical developments are accompanied by a more pro-western agenda in other areas.

As I've said before I think the increasing presence of foreign banks into PK and particularly the growth of consumer finance, is going to impoverish the country

if 'roads' are your only concern then, what about handing over karachi to sharon, because israel's roads are more better ???

if 'roads' are your only concern then, what about handing over karachi to bal thakora, because bombay's roads are more better than karachi ???

good logic,

is this the result of terrorist altaf's 'fikri nashist' you have ????

^ thanx for the info., always good to examine the source, b/4 celebrating such news.

please...please.

celebrating....?

drinks...wines...whisky...bharti songs in background... nudity...?

please dont call it 'celebrating'.

this is terrorist mqm's own dirty style project'.

Edited by hussainmehdi

• Advanced Member

would you like to recieve honor from the one, who had dropped atomic bomb on japan ???

No ???

but kamal bhai and altaf bhai have recieved honor from a group of few individuals including huntington.

huntington terms islam as bloody. he says: "islam has bloody borders."

these words of huntington are more negative than bombing atomic bombs on japan. but altaf bhai-kamal bhai does not care, why ???

what is the meaning of 'bloody borders' in the view of altaf bhai-kamal bhai ???

• Advanced Member

LOL, this is a sham. The story is something else and MQM twisting the meaning of it, showing what they really are...

One of the most highlighted news by several media entities reported the nomination of Mustafa Kamal as the World’s Second Best Mayor by the Foreign Policy Magazine.

Based on a quick investigation, it was revealed that this story was a misleading and was actually fabricated to be used as a propaganda tool by MQM. In fact, Karachi has been ranked at 57th out of 60 global cities by the Foreign Policy Magazine at their website.

Please also note that Mustafa Kamal’s name was only mentioned as the “Mayor of City Ranked at 57″ in the world and there was NO ranking of any Mayors by the the FP Magazine.

fakebestmayorpc6.jpg

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:35 PM

To: xxxxx@foreignpolicy.com

Subject: Verification of News item Referred to FOREIGN POLICY

Dear Sir/Madam,

It has been reported in some media entities in Pakistan that Mustafa Kamal (Mayor of Karachi) has been 'Ranked' as # 2 in the best Mayors of the world by your organisation. Can you please verify this news item. Also what is the criteria for Ranking of Mayors ?

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=...tnG=Search+News

Thanks and Regards,

Admin PKPolitics

-----Reply from Foreign Policy Magazine-----

Dear Sir/Madam,

To clarify, the mayor's mention in our magazine was not a ranking. Although Kamal was mentioned in a sidebar called 'Mayors of the Moment' in the article, 'The 2008 Global Cities Index,' this mention was not meant as a ranking per se. Rather, we meant to highlight city executives doing innovative things against enormous odds. While we applaud Kamal's efforts, his mention in our magazine was only a small part of a larger article that ranked the world's most global cities (Karachi ranked #57).

I hope this explains your question. Please feel free to reach me with any concerns or comments.

Sincerely,

xxxx xxxxxxx

Media & Public Relations Coordinator

FOREIGN POLICY magazine

Source:

http://pkpolitics.com/2008/11/12/the-fake-...2nd-best-mayor/

• Advanced Member

Here is something from Foreign Policy Blog it self:

What FP didn't say about the mayor of Karachi

One of my responsibilities here at Foreign Policy is manning the "FP Editor" e-mail account. It's always fun to come in in the morning and see how readers around the world are reacting to what we print. Sometimes, the reactions can be a bit strange, though.

Yesterday, we started receiving e-mails from readers and journalists in Pakistan asking for comment on reports that we had named Karachi's mayor, Mustafa Kamal, "the second best mayor in the world." This would be an understandable query if we had actually said anything of the sort.

At issue is a sidebar from FP's recent Global Cities Index that names Kamal, Berlin's Klaus Wowereit, and Chongqing's Wang Hongju as "mayors of the moment" who have found innovative ways to globalize their cities. The mayors are not ranked, nor are we implying that they are objectively "better" than any other mayors, but that didn't stop the Karachi city government from issuing a press release on its Web site (they've changed the text since being contacted by FP) congratulating Kamal for being the No. 2 mayor in the world. For the record, the three names are not listed in any particular order.

Pakistan's biggest English-language newspaper, Dawn, then printed a glorified transcription of the mayor's press release by the government-controlled Associated Press of Pakistan as a front-page story without ever checking with us to see if it was accurate.

According to the e-mails we've received, the inaccurate story has been widely reported on Pakistani TV, radio, and blogs. Most absurdly, Karachi's city council apparently held a heated debate over whether to pass a resolution congratulating Kamal for the honor we allegedly bestowed on him. Judging by today's e-mails, the efforts of some blogs to correct the story only seem to have confused readers more.

According to one reporter, who unlike Dawn contacted us for comment, "Karachi is riddled with banners by the local government, congratulating Mr. Kamal for being declared as second best mayor of the world by the Foreign Policy."

We hate to rain on Kamal's parade, and certainly intend him and his city no disrespect, but we simply never ranked him in any way. This entire mess could have been avoided with some very basic fact-checking.

Source:

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/10285

• Forum Administrators
if 'roads' are your only concern then, what about handing over karachi to sharon, because israel's roads are more better ???

if 'roads' are your only concern then, what about handing over karachi to bal thakora, because bombay's roads are more better than karachi ???

good logic,

is this the result of terrorist altaf's 'fikri nashist' you have ????

If you read other people's posts before going off on one, you'll note that I did report what ordinary people were telling me about the state of affairs in Karachi. It's not just my opinions.

Regardless of his politics, if he delivers on basic services, ordinary people are going to like him.

And yes, for ordinary people the basics like, roads, electricity and water are fairly important actually. Hamas and Hiz understand this, it's about time some other Muslim politicians did so as well.

• Advanced Member
If you read other people's posts before going off on one, you'll note that I did report what ordinary people were telling me about the state of affairs in Karachi. It's not just my opinions.

Regardless of his politics, if he delivers on basic services, ordinary people are going to like him.

And yes, for ordinary people the basics like, roads, electricity and water are fairly important actually. Hamas and Hiz understand this, it's about time some other Muslim politicians did so as well.

what 'other people' ???

i am not from illiterate small crowd, whose only job is clapping.

i have my own opinion based on experience and ground realities.

if, you dont believe me, then go liaqatabad and ask the relatives of 'zahid' who have committed suicide because of poverty and hunger, just few days ago.

middle class rule ???

why people of karachi are committing suicide because of hunger and poverty, just like other parts of pakistan, if karachi now rules by middle class ???

where is the difference between mqm's rule and wadaira's rule ???

hundreds of people of karachi have committed suicide because of lack of suitable human conditions during last five years, why, if there is middle class rule in karachi ???

why babar ghori's, khoshbakht shujaat's, sufyan bhai's sons do not commit suicide because of hunger and poverty ???

what is the difference between babar ghori's sons and liaqatabad's zahid ???

what is the difference between 'babar ghori type of middle class and liaqatabad's zahid type of middle class ???

if, you cant understand this difference, then you either intentionally avoiding facts or you are 'praising soap' of mqm ???

there is no explanation except this.

Edited by hussainmehdi

• Forum Administrators
what 'other people' ???

Well my first post, for starters.

what is the difference between 'babar ghori type of middle class and liaqatabad's zahid type of middle class ???

if, you cant understand this difference, then you either intentionally avoiding facts or you are 'praising soap' of mqm ???

there is no explanation except this.

I must say that this is a fascinating insight into Pakistani tribal/clan/party rivalries. Anthropologists from around the world should be converging on SC.

I mean, to an outsider like me, there seems to be a whole dictionary of swear words whose meaning I don't understand, and cemetries full of 'martyrs' for the cause - no doubt whose blood must be avenged.

What on earth is, 'babar ghori type of middle class', if I called my brother-in-law would he punch me in the face?

Also fascinating that a simple positive comment about the roads in Karachi makes me the 'praising soap' of the MQM.

To everyone apart from MQM/PPP activists you sound pretty pathetic to be honest.

• Advanced Member
Well my first post, for starters.

I must say that this is a fascinating insight into Pakistani tribal/clan/party rivalries. Anthropologists from around the world should be converging on SC.

I mean, to an outsider like me, there seems to be a whole dictionary of swear words whose meaning I don't understand, and cemetries full of 'martyrs' for the cause - no doubt whose blood must be avenged.

What on earth is, 'babar ghori type of middle class', if I called my brother-in-law would he punch me in the face?

Also fascinating that a simple positive comment about the roads in Karachi makes me the 'praising soap' of the MQM.

To everyone apart from MQM/PPP activists you sound pretty pathetic to be honest.

those, who are weak in their arguments and have no logic, try to hide behind 'two meaning confusing statements'.

people are not fool any more.

people are watching all that 'middle class drama'.

one should be very clear.

what is the value of 'roads' in front of those 'middle class' who are dying due to hunger and poverty in karachi.

terrorist mqm has been continueously ruling karachi for last 7 years. but people of karachi do not see any change in their lives except roads.

the construction of roads and constructing people's lives are two different things.

but, constructing people's lives will not produce 'percentage of illegal shares' as the construction works of roads bring them a lot of opportunity to loot and make shares with contractors.

this is the reason, thats why people of karachi do not see any change in their lives.

what else, looters and terrorists can do ???