Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
786khayr

Confidence in a professional setting?

Rate this topic

(salam)

I am just curious but..

Hijabi sisters, have you ever had any confidence issues when working amongst non-muslims in a profeesional setting? If so how have you overcome them?

Sharing of your experiences may help many..

JazakAllah.

Ohhhh... it's an everyday phenomena. I have to work doubly hard because I'm fighting against ingrained stereotypes!

But, ultimately it's your work that counts. With creativity and focus, practice and willpower anyone can develop a high self-esteem.

Always think positive and be helpful to everyone around. It's magic! Before you know it, you'll be feeling great about yourself and your life.

Salam,

If you are a hard worker, sure you will be acknowledged by everyone regardless if they are muslims or not. Your character and dedication will be obvious and surely appreciated.

Good luck sis

W/salaam..

Thanks for ur replies. I guess when one is starting off it is a bit different, learning new things, and sometimes trying too hard.. and when u make silly mistakes it's like, that was so simple, why did i do that. It is having faith in Allah and postive thinking which will inshAllah help..

I find that being approachable and having a smile helps a lot. Try not to keep to yourself to much but rather be friendly and show others that you share common interests.

Being involved in discussions and taking part in meetings also helps because others wont see you as "that muslim girl who doesnt get involved".

(salam)

I think the best you can do is being yourself. Don't pretend to be something you are not.

Because I have been to work even with niqab I've noticed that it's better to act just normally to show that wearing hijab doesn't stop you from working. I also try to be positive, talk with others, laugh if there's something to laugh about etc.

Personally I try to avoid talking about religion at work. However, often other work mates come to ask about it after they have noticed that I'm just fine. Then I answer them.

If people are not that nice at work or there's not anything to talk about with them except the work issues then I think positively that "alhamdulillah I have some life and relationships outside work too". When we go to work we go there to do the job - not to spread Islam or make friends. Sometimes some sisters say that we should "do dawa", should dress nicely, act nicely, smile a lot... to gain the friendship of non-Muslims and make them interested in Islam.